Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TVarmy posted:

Do any SD cards/USB drives even have anything like trim?

High end ones can. But they'd also be wasted on a Pi because they're way too fast for the slow usb/sd reader on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
One thing to remember for stories like the us government still running XP in military applications is that if you're willing to pony up a million plus a year, Microsoft will continue delivering patches for any operating system back to at least Windows 3.1 + DOS 6.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cov-hog posted:

Hi thread,

A 10 year old in my life is is kind of going in the wrong direction and I'd like to redirect him onto computer stuff. He's into computer games (as in, he's not actually allowed to play them, but watching other people play them on YouTube is okay? :confused:) and thinks MineCraft and Garry's Mod are baller.

Do you guys have any ideas for how to get this kid involved in building stuff/learning programming? I'm thinking about preordering the raspberry pi zero but all the project ideas I've come across look too sophisticated and maybe a little boring for a kid who is new to it. Any inspiring projects or places to start learning programming that would appeal to a 10 year old?

Uh honestly if he already digs Minecraft, work him through simple Redstone logic stuff. It's both simple and already has a use in the game he plays for doing things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dylan16807 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pine64/pine-a64-first-15-64-bit-single-board-super-comput

Well this Pine64 board looks promising. Ethernet not attached to USB, clock, battery charger, more resolution, bigger SD support, extra ports.

Looks interesting to me too. Anyone have experience with that chipset's performance or what phone it would be equivalent to?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The PineA64 project has successfully funded, and I'm in for one of the higher spec devices (which still cost less than a shipped pi 2). Eager to see what the real world performance will be like.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oaok posted:

How well does the ras 3 work as replacement desktop for web browsing, word processing, light image/video editing, online streaming media (youtube, spotify, netflix)? I'm okay with debian and looking to get one and set it up for my father to use as a PC.

It's going to be awful for video editing because of the limited data bandwidth and slow poo poo GPU. That stuff will also be bad for image editing if we're talking 10 megapixel plus photos. You should probably pick him up a couple years old laptop and stick it on a cooling pad, with a monitor and keyboard/mouse running to it - they'll be around $150-$200 for a nice Sandy Bridge system from 2011 which handle all of that flawlessly.

Here's a good example, the case is beat up but who cares? It's not going to be moving: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...tEAAOSwYlJW2HmX

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

As if there's more than on brand you need to look at for mainstream use.

(Hint: It's Apple.)

That's stupid, most people by far are on Windows machines, and running Windows on a Mac is a recipe for paying more and getting worse performance (because of Apple drivers) for the same level of hardware.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

maltesh posted:

I don't have a Raspberry Pi: I do have one of those CHIP $9 computers, but I suspect the answer would be the same for this, too.

If I've got a powered USB hub, plugged into the wall, can I use one of the hub's outputs to run the CHIP off wall power, and use a second USB cable from the CHIP's USB port to go back to the hub, so it can use the hub's other ports?

Or is that a bad idea?

I was able to run an old Raspberry Pi (original model B) that way, but it had a bad habit of dropping USB connections which was a pain. When I switched to powering off a separate power supply, the USB unreliability went away.

Can't say if the same thing will happen with the CHIP, but you're probably better off just using an old cell phone charger for the device's power supply and plugging all the usb devices into the the powered usb hub, and the hub into the device.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PBCrunch posted:

So is there any chance the next Pi revision could get USB 3.0 (or 3.1)? That seems like it would solve a lot of the RasPi's problems. It would be great if they could upgrade from USB 2.0 to 3.0 and figure out some way to boot from something other than FAT32 partitions on slow, unreliable microSD cards.

It is more likely that they split the ethernet stuff off of the single USB bus first (and finally upgrade the GPU...), since that's what other similar cards do. None of the cheap mini-computers like this seem to implement USB 3.0, although if you need it you can go to ~$100 tier devices it seems.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Just posting to say I got my Pine A64+ with 2 GB RAM in today - I had the "ships in March" tier pledge and they did indeed ship it out of China in late march.

Got one of the minimal disk images running just to test out and that worked, currently waiting for a more complete image to download.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

How's the performance?

My only point of comparison is the Raspberry Pi 1 it used to have, but it's a lot faster than that. It's actually pleasant to use for normal web browsing, and the gigabit ethernet is really handy. It's a bit annoying getting up and running because not many people have them yet, but right now it has Debian 8 running fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ItBurns posted:

Is that the normal Debian image or something that Pine created?

It's neither, I'm using the one from this thread on their forums http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=497

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

osirisisdead posted:

Chromebooks aren't real computers. They are toys for children.

They are as real as whatever you plan to hack up. You know you can usually wipe the original ChromeOS garbage off of them, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Achmed Jones posted:

Are there any cheap single-board x86 computers out there? All I really want it to do is run gdbserver against x86 binaries, so a NUC would be way overkill.

The Intel Compute Stick is very small and costs $180, but it also only has a quad core modern Atom CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Stick-Windows-BOXSTCK1A32WFCR/dp/B00UZ3CYE2

It's about 4 inches by 1.5 inches by 0.5 inches.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DammitJanet posted:

I've had a Pi Model B sitting on my desk for five months and I want to do something with it already. I'd like to strip down an LCD monitor and lay it in a custom desktop pinball cabinet case for playing Farsight's Pinball Arcade. They don't make a version for Linux, but they do for Android, Steam, iOS, etc. Anyway, I'd like to put the Pi in the case and be able to control the game with arcade buttons.

I've also toyed with the idea of making the back glass of the case hold another monitor for NES/arcade emulation, and mounting a joystick and more buttons at the front top panel of the case.

Does any/all of this sound feasible? I'm ready to do this!

Android really doesn't run well at all on any Pi models, due to the ancient GPU. You would want to use one of the other single board computers around these days, because they have GPUs well supported by Android.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Touchscreen support can always fall back to only recognizing a single touch input and detecting it as mouse positioning and clicks. This can get weird with multiplefingers touching at once, but usually sticks with the first finger to hit as the cursor location.

Depending on precise drivers, you can switch between detecting multiple finger as multiple buttons (like say, 1 finger left clicks, 2 fingers right clicks) or straight up recognizing gestures from multiple fingers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mod sassinator posted:

In a pinch it could run it but it's going to be really slow with just a single core 700mhz CPU and 512mb of ram. Think back to how slow computers were in the early 2000's (Pentium 3 700mhz or so) and that's what you can expect with the Pi Zero. For desktop use and multitasking you really want a Pi 3 with faster cores and more memory. Besides you're going to want to hook up networking, a mouse, and a keyboard so you're going to need to buy $30 in accessories to connect all those components to the Zero vs. the Pi 3 has networking built in and plenty of USB ports with no USB OTG adapter needed.

I haven't tried gnuradio but it sounds like it ran ok on a Pi 2, so the Pi 3 should be slightly better: http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/blog/taking-the-raspberry-pi-2-for-a-test-drive-with-gnu-radio-2

You're off by quite a ways. The 700 MHz ARM CPU in the Raspberry Pi Zero is more on par with like a 300 MHz Pentium II computer from about 1997, albeit with more RAM then you'd have then. It remains true that the Pi 2 or 3 will be a lot more pleasant of course.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Police Automaton posted:

An old Atom might even be better for some Linux usage scenarios even if consuming a bit more energy. The single core Pis aren't really good general purpose computers, except if you run them with RiscOS. No matter how accurate the comparison with the PII is (I find comparing so vastly different things in real life circumstances a bit more difficult than that) the PII will feel snappier with 90s era software than the Zero will ever feel with current era Linux software, that's for sure.

Well yeah, "but it has to run modern software" is implied. The most directly accurate comparison is that the Pi 1 and Pi Zero are the CPU and GPU of 2005 or 2006 smartphone with a video codec handler bolted in to make video playback better, but a lot of people never touched smartphones that old, let alone had experience using them with a normal size screen. Hence doing the rougher comparisons to desktops that people might have used - they really do benchmark at about the same as the stated computers, and don't have the benefit later revs do of having multicore which can help some things severely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chas McGill posted:

Interesting, didn't realise just how weak it is. Libre office would be a bit excessive.

Has anyone tried running Focuswriter or another text editor with basic formatting on a Zero?

Back when netbooks were hot stuff, and I had a crappy slow one as a toy, I used Abiword on a similarly very slow device and it worked quite well. It should do well on the Pi Zero.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tigren posted:

This is my problem too. I built a loving full size arcade cabinet and the hardest part is figuring out which version of which games will actually work on this stupid thing. The MAME scene is such a total mess. I should have known getting into retro game archiving communities would lead me down a very dark hole.

Abu Dave posted:

The fact that the stupid thing can run Tony Hawk Pro Skate 2 at 60 FPS fine but can't run street fighter 2 arcade baffles my mind

Here's a big explanation of why emulation is inconsistent on the Raspberry Pis:

First off, MAME since many years back has focused on as near to perfect hardware cycle accuracy as possible. This means the games require much higher processing power for the emulation machine than they did in either the original versions of MAME (which allowed all sorts of hacks to get speed at the cost of accuracy) or most typical home system emulation (which are also fond of allowing hacks to get fast speeds at the cost of accuracy).

Now this approach actually works great for getting games to run, because it means if you get X chip that was used in like 500 games perfectly emulated, the work put into getting that one chip running perfectly means all 500 games have that part handled in one fell swoop, rather than the old system where you'd gently caress around and do 500 special cases of emulation, one for each game.

And the Pi 1 is slow as poo poo. The Pi 2 and Pi 3 ultimately aren't that much better, compared to a normal desktop or laptop from even like 9 years ago. So, the MAME builds available for the Pi tend to either be a fork from early MAME builds before they went all-in on cycle accurate (making them fast but with a lot of missing compatibility) or forks from more recent builds (very high compatibility, but easily runs slow as balls). So you end up having to make a trade-off between the two, and usually the most popular option is inaccurate, fast, but low compatibility builds.

The reason you still get reasonable speed PS1 emulation and for things below that on the console side? Those have pretty much always gone for "be inaccurate if necessary to be fast". Many of them aimed to handle the performance of the target console on computers from not long after the consoles came out, so computers in the late 90s, and that's around where the Pi 1's performance sits, with Pi 2 and Pi 3 bumping up past that (although still with the same GPUs). Also, quite frankly, console designs were simpler to program for and simpler to emulate than the many crazy tings done in arcades.

so anyway if you're really going to build a full size arcade cabinet, respect yourself and get one of those cheapy NUCs or similar x86-64 devices and modern integrated or discrete graphics chipset. it will run MAME way the gently caress better than the Pi will, and be way more compatible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Abu Dave posted:

great post thanks apprecaite it, and it explains alot. I remmeber there was a 100% faithful SNES emulator and even that would run slow on top of the line PCs in 2009. Wish I could remember what it was called

That was called BSNES and is now called HIGAN because the author guy added similarly complete emulation of the NES and Game Boy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Police Automaton posted:

I have no idea how the Pi got so popular for emulation.

It's small, it's cheap, and the requirements for average emulators for like all the consoles before the PSX/Saturn/N64 era are satisfied by it. It's easily on par or better, performancewise, as the many things like the Dingoo A320, GP2X and other such handheld devices that were supposed to be game systems int heir own right but everyone knew were meant 100% for emulating old game systems.

It just starts to fall over when you want to get beyond that, or really play a lot of arcade games.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DizzyBum posted:

This is pretty much why I got a Pi. I also wanted something that could stream media and Steam Big Picture from my PC. There's just so much you can do with it.

I'm curious to see how the Pi 3 handles 32/64-bit era games.

Poorly still - the ancient GPU they're still using hampers quick emulation of most PSX/Saturn/N64 games. Even though it's much faster in the CPU. Hopefully, they'll finally update the GPU component in the Pi 4?

You can play like Super Mario 64 or some early PSX game fine though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The only reason why we have the RPi is because of the "only meant for education" excuse. Without that entire mission statement then the people who donated their very expensive time and effort wouldn't of done it and the RPi foundation wouldn't of got the sweetheart deal with Broadcom for their IP.

The RPi foundation is not a private company that can react to how the market is going and switch customers, it's a charitable foundation that requires it to be focused purely on education. Any money it makes from selling Pi's has to be spent on education.

If you don't like that and the Pi doesn't suite you then buy another one, the RPi foundation can't focus on the hacking community without massive legal problems.

But education isn't hurt by finally using a new GPU after 4 years or finally moving everything from the SD card to network connectivity off a single USB 2.0 bus? What makes you think there would be "massive legal problems" from making some components suck less? They've already made the CPU suck a lot less twice now!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hadlock posted:

There's not a huge incentive to upgrade the GPU, the Pi will push a 1080p screen all day long, which is the main use case for it. 4K screen adoption rate is low, and probably even lower in public schools. If massively parallel computing computer science becomes a thing in the K-8 world they might have some incentive to upgrade it.

An improved GPU means it's far more useful because far more things can run on it all, or run on it better. Or hell, it can even be used primarily for teaching basic small-scale general purpose GPU coding stuff.

And no, it can't really push a 1080p screen all day long acceptably in a lot of use cases, the GPU just isn't powerful enough because it's a design originally intended for 640x480 smartphone screens of 10 years ago, slightly upclocked in the 3 model.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The thing is the Pi isn't poorly performing for the use case it was built for. It is a basic computer for basic computing tasks on the cheap for the education market and it does that in spades. The cases for a better graphics chip or better USB/Lan throughput are not for the education market.

Have you not used a school computer since 1997 or something? There's nothing about "educational" that requires that the GPU be horrible. Nobody's asking for the latest GTX whatever they're up to now to be in there, but just to move the GPU tech forward about the same number of years that the Pi 3 CPU is compared to the Pi 1.

The constraints were more than acceptable 4 years ago because they were absolutely necessary to bring in the low cost factor. they're really not acceptable now, especially since let's face it a ton of the sales are not for "education" they're for other niches which subsidize the education part of their goal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

doctorfrog posted:

Going by what little I know about the education system, the cheaper the product, the more willing the school. I honestly don't know: is the Raspberry Pi Foundation deliberately and stupidly picking lovely parts, when they could build a significantly better system at the exact same price point and not a buck more?

The Pi's success as an educational product partly depends on it being as cheap to produce as possible. And are these made in the UK? Better tighten that budget further because it can't be made in an area with more relaxed labor laws.

Do schools demand better stuff? Well, I guess they can flock to the Pi's superior competition.

The Pi 3 is a dang puzzlement, though, because it seemed like an opportunity to respond with a better quality board more suited to the hobbyist, simultaneously roping in the huge community, without getting away from the meat and potatoes of the educational market. Maybe one of the board members has a lot of stock in the crap component industry.

They've somehow managed to upgrade the CPU twice and mildly overclock the GPU once in the past 4 years. What makes you think that getting a new GPU would magically skyrocket the cost? What makes you think moving off a USB 2.0 bus for both storage and network would skyrocket the cost?

I'm going to be blunt: schools barely use the drat thing. Schools primarily use full on x86 and these days x86-64 computers that cost easily 10x as much as a Pi. I get that the gimmick of the project is that it's supposed to be for the schools but it's never been something particularly useful for a school unless they're specifically after GPIO applications - which most schools never touch. Hell the "low" price often gets outweighed by the costs of input devices, displays etc - and don't forget a case so little Timmy doesn't spill his lunch on it. But it's not like it's less useful to schools if bottlenecks are removed in the Pi 4!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

But, as it happens, the Pi GPU is about the only mobile GPU that is actually fully documented.

Only as of like 2014, and then only after it'd been on sale since at least 2009.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

Sure, but we're talking about 'why don't they switch to a different SoC for the Pi 4'. This is a reason why.

It isn't though. There was no full documentation to the public for multiple years that the Pi was using the SoC. It has no bearing on it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

We are now in the year 2016 where that documentation exists. If they keep the same family of SoC for the Pi 4 that documentation will continue to exist, be useful and relevant. If instead they switch to a SoC with eg a Mali GPU then we go from having a documented GPU with the potential for fully open-source drivers for everything to one that is not documented and can only be accessed via a binary blob. I'm not sure why this is unclear.

But that is again irrelevant, because by using the SoC for years before any large scale public documentation was out, the Pi foundation indicated they don't require public documentation to use an SoC. And you still need a bunch of binary blobs even with all this documentation for this chipset, so it's not even providing the benefit you seem to think they're relying on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eightysixed posted:

Tell this to my Pi 1 Model B+ unit that pushes 1080p with AC3/DTS audio hours per day with literally zero hiccups. Although maybe it's because it's streamed from somewhere else, so this may be a moot point and I'm an idiot. I honestly have no idea. You're probably right, playing it locally would likely crumble it. Or not, I honestly do not know. :psyduck:

Uh yeah dude, that's because the Pi has a hardware decode unit for most common forms of audio and video codecs bolted on. Which can't be used, say, for CAD modeling or a 3D video game.

Playing back something that's already been created is a whole different thing from being able to do things real time.

feedmegin posted:

I'm not saying they are relying on it. I'm saying it would be good for us, the consumer. I would assume the reason they're doing it is maximum backwards compatibility.

If we're going to go with "it's good for consumers" then we're right back to why they should finally move on from things that were picked to target a certain price point 4 years ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SnatchRabbit posted:

I came across a raspberry pie B which I think is the version 1. I installed retro pie which runs fine, but it's strange that Genesis games run full speed but nes and snes are stuttering, I've read that I might be using a under amped power supply which could be the issue or my usb pad might be eating cycles. Should nes Mario bros and Zelda lttp run full speed by default?

You may need to fiddle with the settings for the NES and SNES emulators - but expect games for the SNES that used a lot of expansion chips (Like Star Fox, the later Megaman X games, etc) to be slow regardless. I would try another power supply anyway, but just keep in mind in best circumstances a lot of the snes stuff will be slow no matter what.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spiny posted:

Hi All,

would a Pi2 / 3 be robust enough to work as a VPN gateway at a remote site?
I looke after a few remote networks which are on ADSL connection and use consumer grade routers with no VPN capability and there is only so much I can with port forwarding.

I'd like to put a Pi3 in the server rack, open the right ports on the router and use it as a VPN gateway, but I'm wondering if repeated connects and disconnects will cause it to become unstable ?

if this is a good idea, does anyone have suggestions for VPN software to run on the Pi ?

cheers :)

How much bandwidth and how many users does it need to handle? It can really only do 100 megabit bidirectional throughput at most, and usually a bit less than that, especially if it'll also be writing to disk often. And as far as unique sessions going on at once, many people can't do more than 25 users before it starts having issues.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So I got given a 2-pin fan meant for use with a Raspberry Pi 2 in a case, but no instructions on how to install it. What's the best way to power it from the Pi's own pins, or failing that a good thing to use to power it externally - preferably from USB?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rexxed posted:

Most of the fans meant for raspberry pis I've seen are just 12v fans you run off of the 5v pins and they just run slower. I think pins 4 and 6 are the most commonly used for that:

I was considering buying this case before and the images include one showing the fan on those pins so it seems right:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012GPCLR6/

If you'd rather use USB you can butcher a cable or whatever:

Thanks for that! So there's nothing to worry about the fan drawing too much power or anything like that? (I've got the system on a nice 2.1 amp USB adapter).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Police Automaton posted:

Somewhere on the fan there should be a print how many amps it needs, if not then what voltage it is and how many watts it consumes. Then you would only have to calculate Watts / Voltage to get the amps. USB 2.0 is specced for 0.5 Amps or 500 mA maximum at 5V, although the Pi can apparently supply past that on it's ports. No idea what the Pi's GPIO header is specced to deliver at maximum but you can probably google it easily. If it's a very small fan it's probably a 5V fan to begin with, there's a good chance a 12V fan won't be able to start with 5V. (although some can)

There's nothing printed on the fan, but It's from this kit: http://www.eeekit.com/3in1-starter-kit-for-raspberry-pi-3-model-b-board/ which claims the fan is 5V 0.2 amp. so that should be fine?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The place it's currently located gets pretty hot since it's right between an older HDTV, a console, and a router. The device is overclocked and has had some issues running intense programs - plus the fan and such were free. Sounds like it'll be good then!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Try converting some of the video files you have issues with to another format, and see if that results in better playback.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuna posted:

Does anyone know if the Raspi Zero 1.3 would be able to run google earth at all? Is the performance going to be terrible?

The Raspberry Pi Zero is equivalent in power to a low-mid range computer from 1999 or so. It's going to be really terrible unless you just want to look at a static image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tuna posted:

Nah my requirements are for in-car linux/gps display so I can get away with bigger/powerful boards, I was just curious of the capability of the Zero since I've seen people play minecraft on it.

That's a cut down version of an old version of the already cut-down smartphone release of Minecraft. It's missing a lot of features and has an even more restricted game world, in order to get acceptable performance.