Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

Assisted Living Dracula of Wikipedia

DO NOT BELIEVE THIS MAN'S LIE!
Statist shill spreading FUD!

HODL!!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

edit: i hope you're savoring the irony of the fact that the whole reason they hired you is because you're good at deconstructing scammy corporate poo poo wrapped up in buzzwords.

The implicit threat in the letter I sent back was "see how the bit where I go through your contract is formatted just like one of my blog posts?"

otoh, these mumbleflippers, I don't think they understand text, let alone subtext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...

Grimey Drawer

Hopefully this belongs here... Looking for advice on pricing a custom job.

I've been lurking in Dorkroom as a hobbies for a number of years but this year started selling nature photography products, mostly greeting cards and one calendar. My one calendar design is entirely scenes from my local park, is priced at $20, and cost me ~$8 to print when I buy 100. (side note, I've already sold 50 in the first month!)

A friend just asked me if I could do a custom calendar with some of my best images from Alaska, Yellowstone, etc. She wants somewhere between 5 and 10 copies. Assuming I don't want to work up this design for general sale and use the same print house where I can get a hardcopy proof, go through revisions, order in volume etc, is it more typical to only charge for design time and then sell the calendars at cost, or to charge for design and add a mark-up to the calendars?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Hopefully this belongs here... Looking for advice on pricing a custom job.

I've been lurking in Dorkroom as a hobbies for a number of years but this year started selling nature photography products, mostly greeting cards and one calendar. My one calendar design is entirely scenes from my local park, is priced at $20, and cost me ~$8 to print when I buy 100. (side note, I've already sold 50 in the first month!)

A friend just asked me if I could do a custom calendar with some of my best images from Alaska, Yellowstone, etc. She wants somewhere between 5 and 10 copies. Assuming I don't want to work up this design for general sale and use the same print house where I can get a hardcopy proof, go through revisions, order in volume etc, is it more typical to only charge for design time and then sell the calendars at cost, or to charge for design and add a mark-up to the calendars?

My initial opinion: You're selling the other calendars at a profit because you took the time to design them and take the pictures without being paid for it. If you're being paid to design a custom calendar, that won't be for sale elsewhere, and is a seriously limited-run type deal that will probably cost more per calendar because you're only ordering less than a dozen - I would just include the calendar at cost and charge an hourly rate (or what you estimate the flat-rate equivalent is) for the design time. I'd also include that the client has to pay for one more copy than they want in the end, for you to have one for your portfolio.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...

Grimey Drawer

gmc9987 posted:

My initial opinion: You're selling the other calendars at a profit because you took the time to design them and take the pictures without being paid for it. If you're being paid to design a custom calendar, that won't be for sale elsewhere, and is a seriously limited-run type deal that will probably cost more per calendar because you're only ordering less than a dozen - I would just include the calendar at cost and charge an hourly rate (or what you estimate the flat-rate equivalent is) for the design time. I'd also include that the client has to pay for one more copy than they want in the end, for you to have one for your portfolio.

Thanks for this. I got this same advice from someone off-forum so I think that's what I'm going to do. It will also help me decide if it's really worth it for me to do this project.

And yes, I already was planning to require at least one copy for myself. My thought was to get one for myself as a proof to make sure it looks OK before I place the eventual order. But having it for my portfolio makes a lot of sense too.

Whoa, now I'm a graphic designer!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

If the client wants reprints later on down the line, you can discuss a per-calendar or flat reorder fee then.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Whoa, now I'm a graphic designer!

Welcome to the party, it's the kind of party where everyone mooches off your beer and cigarettes and then sends you to buy more while they keep partying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

There are other sorts?!

«12 »