Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere in the thread.

I've finally gotten to the point where I'm confident enough to both put my work out for the general public to see and to start taking on simple commissions (portraits, character sketches, etc.). I'm not aiming to be hired by big name companies or anything; this is largely going to be individual, one-on-one work. My questions:
  • How should I effectively structure a standard contract? I'm assuming that, especially with one-on-one work, it's best to have gradual payments (e.g. $X for initial thumbnailing/adjustments, $Y for initial roughs, $Z for completed work, etc.). What's the typical breakdown of payments look like?
  • What's a good initial price point? This obviously changes based on skill level; I'm just looking for a decent ballpark.
  • How many revisions should I offer, and how should I word it to prevent myself from being worked to death with minor revisions?
  • For the final product, what's the best way to show it before revisions without potentially being cheated out of the final payment? Is it best to watermark it before payment is received, or simply shrink the size down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU