Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

cosaine posted:

Hey, read the OP but just curious, if I was to sell artwork, even to random people, not businesses, would I need to account that into my taxes(NY)? Thanks in advanced.

It's income, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Oh, well yeah. I thought he was looking for the legal answer, not the practical answer.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

This is hilarious because they don't need a lawyer to draw up a contract for a small job. A contract is just a document that states what both parties agree to; they should have a stock one that can be altered.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

teepee posted:

I'm sure this is a ridiculous question, but I've made my first sale and the publisher sent me a contract to sign over email. Everything looks good, but as I've never done this before, I was wondering if it's better to sign & send it back via email or to do it snail mail. (Publisher's okay with either.) The contract itself isn't the issue, I just get cross-eyed at the thought of sending my SSN over email, because I'm paranoid as gently caress. Anybody go through this before and want to hold my hand?

I would say you're in more danger from the various administrative assistants and interns that would see your ssn than you are from having it in your email, especially if it's handwritten and scanned.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

teepee posted:

Sorry, do you mean I should get one because I should file as self-employed, or ask for the publisher's EIN?

He's saying you should incorporate, which is favorable in a lot of ways tax- and liability-wise as well, though if this is a one-time thing it might not be worth the filing fee until you're making a few sales a year.

Also, congratulations! Getting published is a big deal, no matter where - it's a big milestone to have crossed!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Also, using the Mona Lisa wouldn't fall under fair use. Fair use governs the use of works under copyright; the Mona Lisa is public domain, and thus can be used however you please for whatever purpose and you can make any money you like off of it. The caveat above applies though; any given photograph of the Mona Lisa will be copyright the photographer.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Hilariously, those have been the standard terms for a record deal for quite some time now. Looks like publishing is finally catching up to the levels of scummy BS the declining music industry has been up to since the nineties!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

This is actually something Scalzi pointed out early on.

Anyway, Random House has decided to modify the contracts for these imprints after all the backlash. Victory I guess...

You're right, though it should be noted that the artist's advance is quickly disappearing for freshman artists in music as well, and is included in the "loan" the record label seeks to recoup.

They're essentially just high-risk loan sharks with good graphic design.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

OK, I need some portfolio help. I'm employed full-time so this has never been particularly urgent for me, but I'm starting to look at more freelance work and thinking next steps so I suppose I need to get my act together.

I'm a video producer - there don't seem to be a lot of good portfolio templates or services available to those of my ilk, and web design isn't my strong suit. I'm currently hosted on Wordpress.

My only constraint is that whatever my solution is, it needs to stream from YouTube. Most of my work is "for hire" and I don't have permission to re-host. I can pay for a theme/hosting but high monthly fees are out for me right now.

I could also use some help trimming the fat and looking for gaps.

Here it is: http://nickbremerkorb.com

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

A few things stand out to me:

Cons:
  • Your portfolio doesn't scale well to mobile devices, look into a responsive theme. It's important that it be accessible for people viewing your site on a phone or tablet.
  • Your videos are displayed as one playlist, instead of individual clips. Maybe it's just me, but my first impression was that you only had one piece of work per section, possibly a bad thing.
  • Your sections are poorly defined and some videos are repeated. I personally think a tagging system which can be searched or sorted would work better, combined with one page of videos.
  • None of your work describes how you were involved, but this could be ignorance on my end. Maybe you don't need that.

Pros:
  • Nice clean design, doesn't distract me from your work.
  • Your resume looks nice, but someone in media production might think differently.

Thanks! The tagging system idea is brilliant - I'll look into that for sure.

EDIT: OK, I spent a day reorganizing the whole thing, made it much easier to find videos related to specific genres or skills, and chose a responsive theme. The whole thing looks MUCH better now, and I feel more comfortable sharing it. Thanks for the great advice!

If anyone else has anything to add, it's http://nickbremerkorb.com

Chitin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 28, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks - I need to get off of Wordpress.com and set up my own hosting, probably. I just wish there were good, easy solutions for videographers like there are for photographers because honestly I hate spending time on this stuff even though I know it's super important.

EDIT: Aaaaaand spent a whole weekend moving over to new hosting and completely redoing the site. http://nickbremerkorb.com

Chitin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 7, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

SaviourX posted:

Pretty slick, man, though the rotating background looks too busy when you're clicking through sections. Personally, I don't like a flash splash page either, but I don't know if a video link embed would be any better.

To its credit it reverts to HTML5 on a tablet; I need to cut together an actual reel rather than relying on existing videos, though.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

kedo posted:

If you plan on freelancing much in the future you should also definitely start using an invoicing tool like FreshBooks or Harvest.

Thanks for this.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Etiquette question, freelancers:

I was asked to do a simple but time-sensitive freelance job by a former employer of mine. I asked for and received my normal day rate; however, when the time came to upload, my Internet went down hard.

I ended up shipping a flash drive overnight, which put the files in the clients hands a day late. They don't seem especially upset, and the project still went public on time.

I really like working with these people, and wish to continue doing so.

My question is this:
Would it be a good idea to knock some of my fee off due to the late delivery? The client has not requested this, and I'm obviously picking up the tab for the drive and the shipping. Would this be seen as a nice gesture, or would it be weird in some way? What sort of discount would be appropriate?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Looking for information about licensing out video clips to production companies. Post or PM me if you have info about rates

Thanks!

Directly, or are you talking about selling stock via a service?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

You certainly have a strong case - see the Obama "Hope" poster lawsuit.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Not strictly accurate; you automatically own copyright of anything you create unless you specifically give that up. IANL obviously. That said, it's wise to spell this out contractually to avoid the issue.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

That is literally one of the worst deals I have ever heard someone even consider. Best-case scenario is that you get paid poorly?

Edit: to expand on this, he's asking you to shoulder some of the risk, essentially making you an investor in his business even though what you're providing is expertise rather than cash. He then wants to cut you out before you experience any significant upside; in other words, he wants you to take the risk but still pay you in the end as though you hadn't taken any risk at all. The only way for this to be a good deal is if he a) has shown significant sales in the past, and b) if you remove the hundred dollar "cap" and share in all future revenue from your designs.

Chitin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2015

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

The hilarious part is that's how he'll think of you!

Edit: because shitheels lack self awareness, if that wasn't clear. You're being perfectly reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Two twelve hour days? Plus editing? By yourself? Yeah, you're looking at closer to five grand than five hundred I'd think.