Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Def put up info about joining the Graphics Artist Guild. They'll have your back in legal situations. You also get a copy of the GAG Priceguide book with your membership.

Here's a useful pdf about copyright myths: https://www.graphicartistsguild.org/resources/copyright-myths/

Also, illustrators: be wary of self publishing authors that want *you* to illustrate their totally awesome book. I have gotten more insulting offers from self publishing authors than any other client type. Don't accept royalties as payment for your work. You are not a bank. Always get an advance and don't sell yourself short for "a great portfolio piece".

e: I'm still horribly new at taxes, but one of my legal forms books said that unless you're getting more than $600 from a single client in a year don't bother reporting. Is that true?

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Stuporstar posted:

As a good baseline, I know of one cover designer who charges $400 for a front cover design, and that's photo manipulation, basic graphics, and text, NOT illustration. For a proper illustration, you should be charging more.
I've been getting terribly underpaid for my jobs lately and I know it. Usually for $200-300 less than what I should be getting, and they absolutely won't budge on their given estimate (lately estimates have been given to me up front, making it harder to negotiate). :smith: Granted this is from individuals, not companies, but still. The market is so bad and it really feels like people are taking advantage of this, I just really need money, ugh.

Not getting that extra $250 is one thing, but it's another when people come along thinking they can pay me $300 for a 32 page book. And I'm getting the deal of a lifetime!

I really like this blogpost a lot concerning dealing with self publishing authors: http://andyelkerton.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/finding-an-illustrator-for-your-book-step-one-dont/

I'm also going to echo the sentiment about never, ever working for friends/family members without payment/contract. I stupidly ignored my own knowledge of this, and I regretted it for the entirety of the project. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. You'll ALWAYS be taken advantage of.