Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Pheeets posted:

Yeah, there are some weird forces at work sometimes. Years ago a group of artists displayed at a gallery I co-owned, and in place of prices, one of the artists had a little card that said something like "God allows me to make art only as long as I never make any money from it". which kind of made her sound like a holier-than-thou rear end in a top hat. And her art really wasn't that good, so maybe it was a defensive move? I know that probably sounds harsh, but I really don't like how that sort of thing feeds into the public perception of the "suffering artist" as holy man/woman. You should be able to earn a living on what you're talented at, whether it's banking or painting pictures.

It's also possible that that person found that when they were making art for money, all of a sudden it turned into a terrible burden, or it soured the emotional/spiritual mojo they needed to make their work. Some people are "pros" and thrive when they're getting paid. Other people can't stand associating their creative process with money. Obviously everyone's got to eat, but I wouldn't automatically assume that the person you saw was acting superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

jinpachistar posted:

A fellow intern at the company I work at referred me to a guy that seems to be directing and producing his own TV series to pitch (on the phone, he claimed that he already had a potentially interested network and meetings set up with investors). He gave me a copy of his 60 page teleplay and asked me if I was willing to (a) proofread and format it (as it currently stands, its riddled with grammatical, spelling, and formatting errors) and (b) replace one of the characters and write in a new one. Because he wants to show off his script to a potential investor by the 21st, the guy wants at least the proofreading/formatting done by the 20th (and the new character done sometime later).
This person is insane. Do not do any work for them. Nobody has "a potentially interested network" or any real "investors" if their teleplay is riddled with basic errors like that. This person is completely full of poo poo and will probably never pay you.

RUN.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Arthil posted:

I guess the reason I felt it was a good opportunity is that I'm a little desperate. I've been working with illustrator for close to 6 months(going on seven) and I've just not had any luck with work.
Don't go to the supermarket when you're starving & don't take spec jobs when you're desperate.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Arthil posted:

Or I can just not be a doofus and link the text here in a spoiler.

BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Run away.

Do not illustrate children's books for anybody but a) yourself or b) a major publisher who has hired you.
Do not illustrate entire books on spec. The book will never be published and you will never be paid.

Trust me on this.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Right and if it's your story, you're only on the hook to yourself.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 29, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah well, as long as that poo poo stays outta here. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Same as above, and also, don't take no for an answer when it comes to having all this poo poo in writing. I have had the experience several times of a client trying to be all buddy-buddy and saying "We don't need to go through all THAT, right? We'll just be bros about it!" Don't accept that. Be an rear end in a top hat.