Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Say a job falls through because the client keeps trying to extend the scope of the project while only willing to pay 1/3rd of the original quote. The client berserks into a lot of personal attacks after I walk away as politely as I can from the unsigned contract (citing how unfair it would be for the clients of mine who pay full price). In terms of this specific deal, no work and no money was exchanged. The contract was never finalized or signed.

The one thing I'm worried about is that this is a client who commissions work from a toy designer at a well-known company on a regular basis. How badly can a fired client disparage me? I mean, we had discussed being professional connections at first, but then the client began throwing their connections around as a reason to work for them, and that they'd ONLY introduce me if I did this underpaid work for them, and it didn't seem worthy to me. If the client starts ranting to someone about how I didn't want to work for them, or exaggerates some part of the failed business conversation, could that give me a bad reputation at the well-known company? I'm not using the client as a reference, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Yeah, it sucked enough that I think I'd rather get better at programming and get out of doing artwork for hire. Unless I can find some kind of studio to illustrate for, I'm gonna pick up some new skill and wash my hands of this. I am not able to deal with people losing their poo poo that badly in a business negotiation, just because they want my art but don't respect ME.

If anyone asks, though, I guess I can say that not every client clicks with me and I can't figure out why that particular client went on the warpath, or something noncommittal like that.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Yeah, that's a much better way of putting it, thanks kedo. :)

I'll lurk around the coding thread. I'm interested in learning Javascript as my first language, and UI/UX on mobile devices. UI/UX seems like something where I might be able to break in and start establishing relationships with creative coworkers more easily. I can't do meaningful freelance illustration work without knowing more people who've worked with me a lot and could present me to new clients.