Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It's been years since I've been in the art or illustration business, but I need to write up a quote for newspaper illustrations on behalf of some of my clients.

What's a fair modern rate for B+W article illustrations for a primarily-online readership? The artists in question are very talented, but not necessarily well-known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

Well I've never done editorial commissions so take this all with a grain of salt but I do have a copy of the graphic artist's guild handbook if that might be helpful as a starter point.

According to it, in the US $500- $1500 is considered the expected range for a professional illustration for an online newspaper. I'm assuming Canada will be at least somewhat comparable to this.

Though as you brought up, with lesser known artists you might not get as much, and you'll have to take the complexity of the image (specifically how long it'll take your artists to make it) into account. Also important is the renown and reader base for the venue. If it's just like a website for a city paper then you might not get as much as opposed to one that covers all of Toronto or one that has national/international readers.

Also you said that the illustrations are for a primarily (but not only) online readership, does that mean they do print on a limited basis? Normally, you negotiate usage rights for print/online separately (with separate fees) though you could do a twofer to help build a relationship with the client if you suspect they don't have a large budget and you really want the gig. Since you are doing a quote, hopefully that means they like the work your artists are doing though there is the chance they are still just shopping around for the cheapest deal or whatever.

Just make sure that when you break down how much the artists get vs hours they'll have to work that they make a reasonable amount (whatever you and the artists deem as reasonable that is) for the time they'll put in. There is always some negotiation and wiggle room for pricing these things anyways. Easiest way would be to find what competitors in your area are charging, though that can be difficult to find out since competing art firms/reps aren't likely to tip their hand about that kind of thing. If you can do that though, then that might be the surest way to find out what's considered reasonable.

If you still have time, I know an art rep I can ask who specializes in advertisement work who would probably be able to give a better answer. They may not know the market in the area so I don't think you'd get specific answers but they might know things to watch out for and the like. If you have a question you'd like me to ask, let me know.
Thanks for the advice! I'd love to get in touch with your art rep friend if at all possible - could you pass them my email at andrew@tocomix.com?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Greg Pak did a Kickstarter for a book on getting Kickstarters funded, and you can buy it on his site.

I've run a few comics Kickstarters, and wrote down our marketing strategy. We also posted the finances for one of our book Yonge At Heart , so you can get a sense of the costs involved in an anthology.

Get some print quotes on your book, and figure out how much it'd cost to ship it to the US, Canada and intl. If you can find a shipping broker, you can often get discounts on mailing large quantities of books. We use Chit Chats here in Canada, and it significantly drops mailing costs. Remember to calculate the cost of mailers in your estimates, as they can be expensive.

For printing, don't bother with a specialized printer like PrintNinja. Any traditional prose printer can publish your book, and they're often significantly cheaper. We use Marquis Books, and they've been reliable.

Your math should be something like:
(Your production time at $10/hr) + ( Printing Cost + Shipping Cost * $Number of Expected Pledges ) + 5% buffer.

Assuming it's an 18 page and took 4 hours per page, that'd be $720 + ( $4 Printing + $8 Shipping * 100 books) + 5% for a total of $2016. I often set my KS goals lower than the actual cost, though. People like to back a winner, so something that funds early is likely to see more total money. I use KS funds as seed money rather than a full ride, relying on conventions to make up the difference.

You can drop me a PM if you want someone to review the project. I'm here to help!