Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nessa posted:

I wouldn't think Patreon would be a good platform for video game funding. It seems to be a better platform for videos, webcomics or other projects that come out on a regular basis. An individual who is producing creative content that others would like to support by throwing them a few bucks every month would benefit from Patreon.

The highest grossing patreon by a huge margin is for a game dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Come And See posted:

I'm a writer who's looking to commission artwork of my characters. I've never done anything like this so I want to ask the right things without making an rear end of myself.

If I commission a character piece based only on a written description, who keeps the design? ie. Could I show this piece to a second artist and say "Keep this. Do something different here. Copy this belt buckle, it really fits the character."?

I plan on starting a website combining these commissions with writing samples. I don't have any commercial prospects yet, but if it really hits off I'll want to point to these paid works as the basis for future art.
What sort of wording should I use in the contract between myself and the artist? How would the wording differ if I wanted to compile the art and sell it in a book? Is this sort of request unusual/insulting, and how can I best be a good and honest buyer?

I realize most of this comes down to negotiation negotiation negotiation, but all the legalese regarding the different types of rights is daunting. Many thanks in advance thread.

lofi posted:

I'm not a legal expert, just an artist, but if you're up front about what you want then there shouldn't be any problem. A contract doesn't have to be written in formal legalese, think of it as a statement of what you and the artist expect from each other.

I imagine the idea of getting a second artist to redraw based on the first artists' picture will raise some hackles, so make sure to be clear if you intend to do that, or want to keep that option open.

same position as above, I mingle with a lot of artists who focus on character commissions and while individual opinions on bits and pieces differ, usually most artists generally understand their initial work doesn't necessarily mean a full finalized design. There will obviously be divas who see it as an affront to their pride or whatever if you dare change something on 'their design' but that's on you if you choose to do business with them. I'm sure it's probably a bit different in a way more professional setting where you'd be asking for thousands of dollars commission, but it's pretty much commonplace for artists below that scope to understand a character they initially design won't necessarily be the final full design. Happened to a piece I did just a while ago where the commissioner saw fit to get another piece of said character I designed from another artist and tweaked a few details.

As far as some of the legalese I'd think of goes, just make sure you clearly state your goals with the artist and that it reflects in the invoice. The vast majority of artists' invoices I see usually don't state who owns the rights to the character, of which I'd say it could tldr be broken down to IP rights and rights to reproduction. As the original creator of the character itself, you'd want to clarify the IP rights of the character would belong to you to do so which you please. You can expect the artist to protect their right to reproduce the specific art piece they created of your character which would basically be standard practice just to clear them of being able to display and sell that specific piece as a print or whatever. The commissioner also obviously has the right to display the artwork as a showcase of their character, but reproducing as a marketable piece is something you'll want to discuss. I do know that some commissioners do wish to hold the rights to reproduce the piece entirely for themselves which is something that you can definitely discuss with the artist as well.

e: might just be the amateur artist speaking in me irt this but I guess another point to make would be most artists do also charge an additional charge for working off written descriptions alone since they tend to be more frustrating to work with (ie: more prone to missing out on the commissioner's vision and needing more frequent revisions)

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 2, 2019