Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AnnoyBot posted:

I have an outfit that makes cable animal documentaries wanting to license a video I posted to Youtube. They have sent me a contract specifying "non-exclusive right in perpetuity to broadcast all or part of the material in connection with the production, exploitation, promotion and/or advertising of the program throughout the world for the entire period of copyright in the material and all extensions and renewals thereof by all means and in all media". They are offering $100 if they use it, $1 if they take it and don't use it. Footage is from a Flip HD.

A photographer friend recommended I give them "non-exclusive one time rights". $100 seems cheap for what they are asking for, rights-wise. I looked up some nature stock footage and $700 was what about what it cost to get a minute or so for a commercial program.

Right now they're saying $100 is their budget limit, but this is an outfit that makes shows that are very well known and the channel is owned by one of the big boys. So my heart doesn't exactly bleed for them, financially.

Any advice? The sums here don't seem to merit getting a real lawyer involved, so I'm a bit stumped as to the next step.

What a professor once told me is that signing away your rights to something should cost 3-4 times (if not more) than licensing it for a single use, and a commission-but-don't-use should be around half. They're not asking to take all rights for the video, but asking for unlimited use for eternity seems pretty close. I don't know any numbers on market rates, but $100 definitely is bullshit (even for a single-use license), and that $1 is few orders of magnitude above ridiculous.

Edit: This was for illustrations, so YMMV for other fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU