Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Am working on a video game project that is all programmer art (i.e. cylinders and cubes everywhere) and is about 80% feature complete, programming-wise. It recently got its first Patreon supporter and every month I get a few people here and there asking to help with the project, art-wise. I tell them that I'll keep them in mind but I'm a broke loser irl so the real reason is that I couldn't afford to pay 3D artists anything close to a market rate anyway. I already know that the whole royalty/revenue sharing thing is a joke in both the art and programming communities, so I know not to even consider it as an option to begin with.

I figure that the best thing I could do is just find a way to scrap some money between the couch cushions to hire a 3D artist as some kind of tutor or consultant to help point me in the right direction and guide me toward being able to do all of the work I need on my own, but I feel really bad because I know that if I had the money to afford the artist's help then the project could at least have a releasable tech demo that I can parade around within a few months to gauge community response and then try to raise further Patreon funding with which to pay for better artists than my dumbass.

I'm posting this here on the off-chance that there might be some third option that I haven't considered here and also to share my predicament with this awful™ community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I really appreciate the advice. I suppose that Kickstarter could potentially be a big help, yeah. I've tended to discount its usefulness over the years, though, but I could be wrong.

I'm happy to know that the second option I described (finding a way to hire a tutor or consultant to guide me in doing all the work myself) actually seems like the best option under the circumstances. I was worried that I may have overlooked something obvious.

Here's the Patreon thing in case you guys were interested in looking at my dumb project: https://www.patreon.com/jfaw

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I have a job now that pays above a median income and as I save up money I am now trying to find information about what the price tag is on a 3D Artist to help me with my game development projects.

Where can I find information about this sort of thing? Should I just browse DeviantArt for people whose stuff I like and ask if they'd be willing to work with me on a game jam or project for $X per hour until I find someone who says yes?

What's a fair rate for this sort of thing? Or would I be better off paying for some kind of 3D Art personal trainer or whatever?