Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
The company my husband works at got wind of me being an artist, and has now asked me to design a mascot for them. They love the design ideas I showed them! Yay! Next, we'll meet to discuss specifics. My problem is that I've never done anything for an actual company and not just half-broke nerds, so I could use pricing advice. What should I roughly charge a mid-size IT company for a mascot design as well as the full rights to the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Tubgoat posted:

Full rights? Can you get a percentage of gross? Though admittedly, how revenue generated by any specific mascot is measured, I haven't the slightest idea.

Yeah I'm afraid that's not feasible. This isn't a mascot intended for one specific marketing campaign, it's meant for a product that will be sold to different companies. The mascot is basically meant to be the face of the product. So, I don't think I can ask for a percentage considering the product was going to be sold anyway, and it's hard to determine whether it was the mascot or the actual product features that clinched the deal.

The idea is more that I will give them full rights to the character, and that I will be the person to go to for any extra illustrations of the character. So, I want to be paid for the rights to the character as well as each following illustration, which they will also have full right to use.