Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jinpachistar
Dec 25, 2012

A fellow intern at the company I work at referred me to a guy that seems to be directing and producing his own TV series to pitch (on the phone, he claimed that he already had a potentially interested network and meetings set up with investors). He gave me a copy of his 60 page teleplay and asked me if I was willing to (a) proofread and format it (as it currently stands, its riddled with grammatical, spelling, and formatting errors) and (b) replace one of the characters and write in a new one. Because he wants to show off his script to a potential investor by the 21st, the guy wants at least the proofreading/formatting done by the 20th (and the new character done sometime later).

Anyone have some kind of similar experience to this? I was just confused as to what to charge because this is my first freelance job and it isn't clear-cut editing or writing. Similar "script doctoring" services online charge anywhere from around $300 to $700 from what I've seen (just to proofread and format, not write in characters), but while I do have prior screenwriting experience, I'm straight out of college and haven't published anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jinpachistar
Dec 25, 2012

Yeah, both of you guys make sense. I ended up doing some more research and saw that he tried to fund and shoot his pilot back in 2009 (the title, characters, and premise of the 2009 pilot were similar or the same as the teleplay he gave me) but nothing ever came of it, which to me doesn't bode well for his current attempt.

Thanks for the advice. In hindsight, it should have been obvious from the phone call and the quality of the teleplay but I guess I was excited about getting paid for doing something I like.

jinpachistar fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 12, 2015