Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I have no answers, but the making comics thread might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

From Making Comics OP:
https://ironcircus.com/shop/ebooks/27-let-s-kickstart-a-comic-pdf-ebook.html

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://breakermag.com/are-smart-contracts-smart-enough-for-the-music-industry/

:thunk:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

There are other sorts?!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Come And See posted:

I'm a writer who's looking to commission artwork of my characters. I've never done anything like this so I want to ask the right things without making an rear end of myself.

If I commission a character piece based only on a written description, who keeps the design? ie. Could I show this piece to a second artist and say "Keep this. Do something different here. Copy this belt buckle, it really fits the character."?

I plan on starting a website combining these commissions with writing samples. I don't have any commercial prospects yet, but if it really hits off I'll want to point to these paid works as the basis for future art.
What sort of wording should I use in the contract between myself and the artist? How would the wording differ if I wanted to compile the art and sell it in a book? Is this sort of request unusual/insulting, and how can I best be a good and honest buyer?

I realize most of this comes down to negotiation negotiation negotiation, but all the legalese regarding the different types of rights is daunting. Many thanks in advance thread.

I'm not a legal expert, just an artist, but if you're up front about what you want then there shouldn't be any problem. A contract doesn't have to be written in formal legalese, think of it as a statement of what you and the artist expect from each other.

I imagine the idea of getting a second artist to redraw based on the first artists' picture will raise some hackles, so make sure to be clear if you intend to do that, or want to keep that option open.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hey, I know the author of that bitcoin article! They were all 'uh, guys, I've signed up for this boat cruise, what is a bitcoin?' and got increasingly horrified as everyone explained.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's just giving me #name values in the download version. I think that means it wants me to work for exposure?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think it's cos I was trying to save it and open it in Openoffice, and the language is a little different. I don't want google to know my business stuff! :ohdear:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If it's inkjet you're going to chew through cartridges. I have no idea how you'd work it out, beyond "let's do 60 and see what that does to the ink" (charging them for replacements, natch). If you want commercial rates just look for a printshop near you and see what they'd charge.

Honestly, the whole thing sounds like a massive pain in the tits, I'd tell them you can't do 600.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Get it in writing that they won't profit and that they'll take it down if you change your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Depends how clean the initial scan is, and how detailed the pic is - the job could be anywhere from 'mash autoconvert' to 'trace everything by hand'