Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Hi, new here. Just a little intro, I am a graphic artist/designer. I have been finding some work on facebook and reddit. I have had no problem getting paid... yet. so far everything is pretty simple and I love doing supplemental work to pay for that adobe cloud subscription. though I would love to do more traditional stuff like murals. :wave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Any mural artist here?
How do you charge for your work?

Back story:
For a local ma and pa mexican restaurant, I painted a huge mural.... 10ft tall by 25ft long. I told her before I did it it was my first one and we could talk about commission after ( I had doubts) but I blew it away, it was 90 hours at least, but there's no way to know how much longer it took to figure poo poo out. It was really my first painting besides wine and canvas. Yes, I know. she really believed in me.

She paid me 300 prior for a large chalk board mural behind the bar.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Jazz Marimba posted:

Not a mural artist, but there's a mural being voted on in my area (caveat: idk the size, but prolly 15'+ tall by a lot' wide since it's a city project) and it's 40k$. Someone was complaining about the cost in a neighborhood fb group and a buncha people pushed back citing multiple drafts, specialized materials, renting scaffolding, maintenance afterwards, and an hourly rate of 60$ (which is average/low in Chicago for artists in general). I hope that helps a little

:eek:

Holy smokes
I was thinking like $600, plus another $300 in food.

Peeches
May 25, 2018

ravenkult posted:

I got paid 8k for a ''mural'' that was just done digitally and printed out at 2m x 8m.

Wow. That reminds me, I spent weeks on research and revisions too

Peeches
May 25, 2018

kedo posted:

Oof, you got paid $3/hr, that is ROUGH. If you’re going to charge an hourly rate, look at my previous posts in this thread, I’ve provided links/info about how to calculate your own hourly rate probably a half dozen times.

Mom & pops are good for getting your feet wet, and I hope you took a lot of pictures for your portfolio, but for the number of hours you’re talking about I get the feeling they won’t be able to afford you if you start charging what you should.

A lot of it was testing out to see if I liked it and except for the main concept I had free artistic range. I'm willing to admit it would have taken an experienced artist about half the time. I'm not sure if I would ever attempt this again without help.

I took a ton of pics and video and process but it is hard to photograph because it's in a long narrow corridor.

I'm okay taking lump rather than hourly for this, since I had no idea what to expect.
I'll check out your post on pay. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peeches
May 25, 2018

A postcard/ mailer shouldn't take too long, depending on what content she already has ( and assuming you don't need to take photographs etc). Will you be dealing with the printer and mailing list as well?
I would probably charge 25$- 35$an hour and expect to be done in 2 hours with 1 revision. More if you need to write copy and take/edit photos. So maybe 100-125$ that would cover 2 hours and a little extra for dealing with the printer.