Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nessa posted:

I have been told before to raise my rates and I honestly don't know how much I should charge if I end up doing their branding. The freelance work I've done lately has all been for friends and family and not as big an undertaking as this. I'd probably prefer to charge for the project than an hourly rate. I want to be able to give them a number that's reasonable for someone without a lot of experience, but also not insultingly low for this kind of work.

If you haven't done exactly this kind of project before, you really should charge hourly. You can provide an estimate based on the scope of the project, but you really don't want to be holding the bag when someone starts waffling on contract terms. Be incredibly specific about how many revisions and change orders are included, what assets you need from the client and at what milestones. Read the thread and make a contract.

As far as your hourly rate goes, you probably need to double it. Whatever it is right now, if people are telling you it's too low, it's too low. Your freelance rate includes 1. All the talent and experience you've built up to this point, 2. Not only your pay for the work itself, but also for the preproduction, emailing and negotiation to get the job in the first place, 3. Everything that would normally be covered by an employer, i.e. taxes, healthcare, legal, accounting, equipment and office space, and 4. What the market will bear.

If 1 through 3 don't add up to 4, you're in the wrong market. You can do price research for comparable designers in your area by simply emailing them and asking for quotes. Some might find this suggestion a bit dickish since you don't actually have a job for them, but I'm not aware of a site like Glassdoor for freelancers.

If your client balks, you can negotiate, but do so first by limiting the scope of the project. Don't just cut your rate quickly / arbitrarily, your client will rightly wonder why you were asking so much to begin with. If the response is "well I could just hire my cousin or some jerk on craigslist for half as much" my usual response is "OK, best of luck with that." They were never your client to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fart City posted:

Hey all, hoping I can get some advice.

I recently finished up an 18 page comic book that I’d like to use as a proof-of-concept in a kickstarter campaign to get funding for a larger work. Despite being in the graphic design/print production field for nearly a decade, this is the first time I’m setting out on a true independent venture.

My ideal Kickstarter goal would be to finance production on another issue or two, with the ultimate goal of printing physical copies and taking them to cons and trade shows to build and promote a brand. A couple of questions:

1. Does anybody have a recommendation for what financing amount to shoot for on an initial Kickstarter goal for something like this? I am worried about coming off as greedy or unreasonable in what I ask for.

Well first of all don't worry about coming off as greedy or unreasonable. You can only raise money from the community you've built.

Start by making a list of everyone you know, right now, who you know for a fact would give you money to help you start your thing. Think about what each of those people could give, and tally it up. If you can do something cool that's a step along the way, then run that as your campaign, even if it's small. Consider it a "training wheels" campaign before you dive into the whole project.

I know way too many people who try and raise high 5 figures their first go and either don't make it or do make it and burn out anyway. Crowdfunding is hard work at first, but it gets easier once you have a plan and experience.

I don't have advice on your other question, but yeah maybe the comics thread.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

divabot posted:

So - I'm not sigining this thing in a pink fit. But they're offering enough money that I'd like to see if they're amenable to any form of reason.

Nor should you, jesus christ. Mandatory arbitration should be (and increasingly is) illegal, not to mention all the other goodies.

First thing I would do is send them an email and let them know your lawyer is looking it over and you'll get back to them asap. If they shriek with outrage or try and rush you, walk away immediately. If not, hire a lawyer! It's really not hard, they probably won't expect it and it'll immediately cut through all the bullshit. The reasonable outcomes are:

- The lawyer tells you there's nothing to do about it, which they won't charge you for
- Your lawyer edits the contract and sends it back, and they sign it without really worrying about it (happens more often than you think.)
- They get their lawyer involved, a reasonable back-and-forth ensues and everyone walks away at least reasonably happy
- You can't come to an agreement and you're stuck with a lawyer bill for a few hundo.

Even in the worst case scenario, I think it's worth the money. Finding a good lawyer is something you really should do at this point anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

divabot posted:

honestly, if they weren't offering dump trucks full of money ...

I mean making a grand is better than not making a grand, until you get famous for some reason and they start using pull quotes with your name on them in their marketing materials like you endorse them, and you can't get them to stop because you can't sue them and the arbitration company they're forcing you to use won't return your calls.

Sure, the chances of them loving you over are relatively low, but why willingly sign a piece of paper that allows them to legally gently caress you over? I don't think that's worth any amount of money compared to the potential for costly aggravation down the road.

edit: i hope you're savoring the irony of the fact that the whole reason they hired you is because you're good at deconstructing scammy corporate poo poo wrapped up in buzzwords.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 5, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

lofi posted:

Get it in writing that they won't profit and that they'll take it down if you change your mind.

Even easier: Attach a creative commons license to it! You want this one: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

Also, send them an email explaining exactly what it is, and what it means.