Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Leovinus posted:

Even when the "spent" magazine is half-full and yet you don't lose any of the rounds in it. I always wondered why more games didn't do more realistic reloading.

The original Ghost Recon (I never played the others they might have done this as well) handled it the best, in my opinion. If a magazine was empty your guy would ditch it, but if it still had some rounds he would stick it in the back of the magazine que. So, your guy didn't just top off the magazine in a split second, but it was still there if you got desperate for ammo.

My favorite little things are the stuff that make it feel like you actually have some sort of impact on the world. Stuff like how in Far Cry 2 the guys would start to get terrified of you after while. Or the bounty posters in the original Red Faction. They'd started with some tiny bounty and no picture of Eos, but as the game progressed you'd see the bounty steadily climb and Eos's picture would get filled in once Ultor had an idea of what she looked.

Edit: On the subject of reloading in games, why don't more games recognize if I have a round in the chamber when I reload? Why is Winback the only game I can think of that does this?

girth brooks part 2 has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

In Deus Ex: HR, when you apply clip upgrades to the revolver, the number of chambers actually changes. It's such a small thing and I love it so much.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Metal Gear Solid 3 has a really memorable sequence, the boss fight with The Sorrow. His gimmick is that he summons the ghosts of everyone you have killed. It's not just generic soldiers - these are literally the same guys you've gunned down on your way there. They even have the same wounds that killed them. For instance, if you kill lots of people by blasting their legs off, they'll be limping in this scene. This is pretty neat in itself, and was enough of a reason for me to go on an absolutely crazy killing-spree run, just to see how many ghosts I could rack up.
Now, the re-release of MGS3 adds a really clever easter egg to this part. Earlier on, you can kill guards in a desert area, and vultures will eventually swoop down to eat the corpses if they're left in place. You can kill and eat those vultures. If you do this after they've taken a few bites out of the guards, those same guards show up in The Sorrow's scene with vultures on their shoulders, screaming about how you ate them.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 has a really memorable sequence, the boss fight with The Sorrow. His gimmick is that he summons the ghosts of everyone you have killed. It's not just generic soldiers - these are literally the same guys you've gunned down on your way there. They even have the same wounds that killed them. For instance, if you kill lots of people by blasting their legs off, they'll be limping in this scene. This is pretty neat in itself, and was enough of a reason for me to go on an absolutely crazy killing-spree run, just to see how many ghosts I could rack up.
Now, the re-release of MGS3 adds a really clever easter egg to this part. Earlier on, you can kill guards in a desert area, and vultures will eventually swoop down to eat the corpses if they're left in place. You can kill and eat those vultures. If you do this after they've taken a few bites out of the guards, those same guards show up in The Sorrow's scene with vultures on their shoulders, screaming about how you ate them.

The best part of that walk was finding the soldiers you killed via shooting their dicks for the kill.

"I'm useless now!"

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

There's also that thing with The End where he just dies on his own if you have a save right before him and enough real-life time passes. Or you can just shoot him the first time you see him to avoid fighting him.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Verr posted:

Well poo poo, I'd be afraid of that rocket toting douchebag who's offed half the guys on your side, and most of your enemies as well.

As annoying as the Far Cry 2 checkpoints are, if there was a loving evil mercenary killing anyone and everyone out there, I'd be throwing as many poorly trained soldiers at the problem as I could manage.

Funny how many people bring up Far Cry 2. It had some glaring flaws but so many great aspects. Personally, I loved how you could start a fire behind you by firing an RPG from a crouching position in a tall grass field.

That game would have been perfect if it was modable. I think almost everyone would just take out the never ending check points.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Morn posted:

Funny item descriptions.

I liked the fact that at one point in Disgaea it's possible to steal a horse wiener off a zombie.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
MGS3 had a very very silly plot, but they nailed the details. One of my favorites was that if you blew up a food storage shack, the guards in the area would get hungry and start eating anything you threw them. If you blew up an ammo storage shack, they would run out of ammo pretty quick and switch to their Makarov.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

/challenge
/faint

in Lord Of The Rings Online.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
In Nier there is background music playing at most times like most games. But in your little village there is someone actually playing it and if you get closer you can hear the acoustic kick in and once you get close enough you can actually hear her singing. If you talk to her she stops singing too. I thought it's pretty cool.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Jonny Retro posted:

Edit: On the subject of reloading in games, why don't more games recognize if I have a round in the chamber when I reload? Why is Winback the only game I can think of that does this?

Call of Duty partly does this, if you wait until the mag runs completely dry before reloading the animation will be about half a second longer, showing you chamber the first round of the new mag.

Mister Morn
Feb 9, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

redmercer posted:

I liked the fact that at one point in Disgaea it's possible to steal a horse wiener off a zombie.

"A... horse wiener? Now that's terrifying!"

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

dongsweep posted:

Funny how many people bring up Far Cry 2. It had some glaring flaws but so many great aspects. Personally, I loved how you could start a fire behind you by firing an RPG from a crouching position in a tall grass field.

That game would have been perfect if it was modable. I think almost everyone would just take out the never ending check points.

Far Cry 2 is a game with a lot of very nice little things, but the big problems mean you'd be hard-pressed to notice them.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!

Masa posted:

Also, GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony's pause menu music. I sometimes paused the game just to chill out to that music.

Battletoads has awesome pause music too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoR8OlXXiZA

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

In Black and White, if your followers were reproducing at night, you would see little +1 faiths coming out of their houses, as the people inside were presumably calling out your deity's name mid-coitus.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chikimiki posted:

This! I was so disappointed that in Deus Ex HR you can only pick up crates (and some very specific items), everything else was glued to the decor. Half Life 2 did this in 2004!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

:colbert:

Righteous
Nov 2, 2010
In Bioshock every time I found one of the record players spinning a 50's era song, I had to stop and listen to the whole song until it skipped or stopped. It was a very nice break from murdering splicers and harvesting adam.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
In Star Trek: Online if you go to Deep Space 9, there's a small glass box on the new commander's desk with Sisko's baseball inside. Just a small touch, but a good one I think.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a level in Psychonauts where a man is playing a board game against Napoleon Bonaparte and you shrink yourself down onto the board to play the game as one of the pieces. When you're shrunken down there's a building on the map where, if you look into the window, you can see the man and Napoleon playing the boardgame that you're currently inside. It's easy to miss and has zero bearing on the level but going to the trouble to include that level of infinite recursion is just a brilliant little detail.

Also, there's one level where you're in the mind of a heavily-repressed secret agent whose subconscious starts to erupt out of the ground. One of these artifacts of his subconscious is a mountain of boxes of women's shoes ;-*

scamtank posted:

You know all the dumb responses and effects you can get when you use your powers and items on or around the campers? They went out of their way to record lines for stuff that you could not possibly try on the other kids without cheating.

There's a rather brilliant, spoiler-y one in the very first level: If you come back later and use telepathy on the bunnies that are running around during the section with the machine gun, they see Raz as a silhouette of Oleander's butcher father.

Farbtoner has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Feb 23, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Farbtoner posted:

Psychonauts

You know all the dumb responses and effects you can get when you use your powers and items on or around the campers? They went out of their way to record lines for stuff that you could not possibly try on the other kids without cheating.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I absolutely love these touches.

Dark Souls delivers a lot of its story and exposition in a very subtle and out-of-the-way manner, largely from NPC conversations and item descriptions. It's really amazing just how much thought was put into what you probably won't see, though. One of the bosses in the game, Seath the Scaleless, is actually blind. This is only mentioned in a single item's description text. Yet it's actually implemented int he game: if you wear the ring that makes you silent, he'll actually find it a whole lot harder to hit you. Granted this is Dark Souls, that help only goes so far, but still!

Sonic Generations is jam packed full of references to old Sonic games, to the point where I challenge you to find even a square inch of the game that doesn't incorporate some kind of reference because I am fairly confident you will be unable to find one. My personal favorite thing to point to is City Escape's posters, of which there are three around the place. One Missing poster for Ray the Squirrel and Mighty the Armadillo (last seen 1993), and two Wanted posters - one for Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear (only ever in a Sonic arcade fighter) and Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper (an inconsistently named antagonist from the Game Gear games)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AuntJemima posted:

In Nier there is background music playing at most times like most games. But in your little village there is someone actually playing it and if you get closer you can hear the acoustic kick in and once you get close enough you can actually hear her singing. If you talk to her she stops singing too. I thought it's pretty cool.

Bastion does this too, in one level. Of course, it's great in both games because they both have great soundtracks.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I quite like the customised dialogue for certain character matchups in Blazblue. Certain characters will banter a little at the beginning of the round and some of them outright change their move call outs.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Cleretic posted:

Sonic Generations is jam packed full of references to old Sonic games, to the point where I challenge you to find even a square inch of the game that doesn't incorporate some kind of reference because I am fairly confident you will be unable to find one. My personal favorite thing to point to is City Escape's posters, of which there are three around the place. One Missing poster for Ray the Squirrel and Mighty the Armadillo (last seen 1993), and two Wanted posters - one for Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear (only ever in a Sonic arcade fighter) and Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper (an inconsistently named antagonist from the Game Gear games)

Also the unlocks room having music from Knuckles Chaotix. :allears:

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Frankly, every single boss fight in MGS3 has some brilliant detail. I just pointed out The Sorrow one where Snake is a cannibal because it's just so minor a thing for the game to remember for a single boss fight, and I found it hilarious the first time I saw it.
You can twirl a revolver in the fight with Ocelot, and he'll match you. You can steal some of The Pain's bees and (sort of) control them using his camo. You can trick The Fear into poisoning himself to death. You can cause The End to explode before his fight, whereupon part of his wheelchair will launch high in the air and potentially kill you.

Since I've talked way too much about Metal Gear, here's something different. If you're playing Dungeon Keeper late at night, the narrator informs you that "Your nocturnal perseverance has unlocked a secret gaming tip: GO TO BED."

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

You can cause The End to explode before his fight, whereupon part of his wheelchair will launch high in the air and potentially kill you.

In addition to that, there's a point you can kill him early on in the game by shooting him in the head while he is being wheeled into the base. Or you can just let him die of old age. MGS3 is the best.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

D is That Guy posted:

In addition to that, there's a point you can kill him early on in the game by shooting him in the head while he is being wheeled into the base. Or you can just let him die of old age. MGS3 is the best.

That's the part he's talking about. My favorite "little thing" in MGS3 is during the proper fight with the End. To those who haven't played it, The End is a legendary sniper and you have a sniper duel with him across three expansive forest areas. You can sneak up on him and blast him in the head, or you can match him with your sniper rifle. One time I was playing, I tried to out-snipe him. So I'm sitting in a grassy knoll, scanning the forest and looking for subtle clues, like leaves rustling or the flash of light reflecting off of his scope. All of a sudden the game pulled me out of my first person view down the scope - The End had made his way over to my position and held me up!

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
In Black & White, you'd enter your name when you created a profile, this had no bearing on the game... Except, if your name happened to be one of the ones on the game's internal list, it would whisper your name in a spooky manner during the night... SERIOUSLY creeped me out the first time it happened!

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake

Mister Morn posted:

Funny item descriptions.

Disgaea has the best descriptions. my favorite one being "Bastard Sword: Nice guys can use it too"

Metal Gear Solid 3 has a really memorable sequence, the boss fight with The Sorrow. His gimmick is that he summons the ghosts of everyone you have killed. It's not just generic soldiers - these are literally the same guys you've gunned down on your way there. They even have the same wounds that killed them.

I was really surprised when I watched my brother do this part because he only killed people by cutting their throats. And boy did he kill a lot of people. So it was awesome to see him getting swarmed by a ton of soldiers who have slit throats come after him.

Moon Man has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Feb 23, 2012

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Deus Ex's hacking interface used keyboard shortcuts like any windows program. You could manipulate the entire interface with nothing but the keyboard. Arrow keys to pan around, 1-3 switch camera, +/- zoom, alt + D unlocks doors, ect. It's just fun to use and faster that mousing around buttons.

It may be one of the only game I've played to use the inherent capabilities of the keyboard applied directly in-game. Like consoles games may use the analog stick to mimic turning a valve or something, the keyboard can be used to mimic input devices, e.g. the numpad to punch in keycodes. If I can't use the numpad to enter codes gently caress your game. If I remember right you can even highlight text and ctrl+c/v to enter a login for instance.

Gaph has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Feb 23, 2012

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.
In Skyrim, if you make a bunch of stuff at the Whiterun blacksmith forge and then drop it all in the middle of the street, the guard will come out and yell at you for littering.

ChineseTea
Jul 22, 2011
In Hitman: Contracts on the Meat King level, it always amuses me that you can get frisked with the girl's severed arm in your inventory with no consequence but a knife sends the guards into a frenzied panic.

Mister Morn
Feb 9, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Moon Man posted:

Disgaea has the best descriptions. my favorite one being "Bastard Sword: Nice guys can use it too"

Disgaea really does have the best item descriptions. I just didn't think of them when I resorted to Lunar. Other choice Disgaea descriptions:

Fist of Fury: "From the Master of Jeet Kune Do."

Flex Bow: "Makes you want to exercise."

Bulletproof Vest: "Can stop bullets. Watch out for headshots."

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
In GTA IV, the fact that hardly any NPC notices when you push someone down a flight of stairs.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

utada posted:

In Skyrim, if you make a bunch of stuff at the Whiterun blacksmith forge and then drop it all in the middle of the street, the guard will come out and yell at you for littering.

But, if you throw away some good stuff, people may come up and ask if they can have it. That blew my mind.

In addition, I was hunting around the barrels and crates in Whiterun, looking for ingredients, and I heard something like:

"Oh, that poor man, he must be hungry!"

I was digging through people's trash, apparently.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

But, if you throw away some good stuff, people may come up and ask if they can have it. That blew my mind.

They might even start fighting eachother for it if it's good kit and they're jerks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phy posted:

They might even start fighting eachother for it if it's good kit and they're jerks.

It's actually more or less random. You can drop a single arrow and incite a riot in Windhelm over it if you're really lucky.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

I really liked the NPC conversations in Deus Ex Human Revolution, they actually sounded like conversations real people would have. The fact that they often referenced real world stuff like the redwings vs habs game was a nice touch.

My favorite though was the two cops in an office talking about a movie about a Detroit cop who gets brutally killed and rebuilt as a cyborg.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Morn posted:

Disgaea really does have the best item descriptions. I just didn't think of them when I resorted to Lunar. Other choice Disgaea descriptions:

Cotton Candy: "Usually found at shady carnivals."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Mister Morn posted:

Berserker (Sword): It's love for you is like a truck.

• Locked thread