Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Skyrim whenever you find a bucket next to a book or dirty paper. It shows that someone, somewhere, considered where their barbarian race takes its shits. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Basically they're physics that let you be an rear end in a top hat. Punting villagers around, knocking stuff over, that kind of thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

scamtank posted:

The British infantry section, for example:

Brit tanks were unbelievably :smug: if attacked by things that couldn't hurt them.

'The gently caress's he playing at?'

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

bewilderment posted:

While Killzone 3 had many issues, the best part of its multiplayer is that in the obejctive-based modes you'd see little cutscenes of the top three players on each team completing objectives, and at the end of every round you'd see the top three (depending on which side) either preparing to take prisoner or execute the top of the opposing side.

Brink did something similar, though was mostly relegated to shooting at one another more than anything active. So much potential... :(

That said one thing I loved about Brink was its ambience and visual design - something a lot of people missed about it is that in singleplayer the skins bot used depended on your factions (outside of the obvious faction stuff). If you were part of the Resistance then the Security forces would look fairly uniform with body armour and 'flashy' equipment, in addition to a lot of face concealing stuff; very much making them look oppressive and frightening. If you were part of the Security forces, however, then those same guys would look a lot more 'casual' and rag tag with more faces open and less consistency in the outfits, making them look less like professionals and more like a civilian militia. It was really nice.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Condemned it was a real :psyduck: moment when I twatted someone with a club only for them to use the momentum against me and continue spinning around to punch me right back.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Ahh yes, much like in Warcraft 3 (I forget if the same is true for the older games) where you can click a unit many times and it'll say various funny things, different for every unit.

Naw, in Company of Heroes it's contextual. They have the usual array of STOP CLICKING ME stuff, but what they're doing (winning, running, hiding, etc) changes their tone of voice and a lot of responses.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RyokoTK posted:

Infantry would even chatter with each other if they were just moving around and nowhere near combat. The devs spent so much time on the little things that don't even get noticed because the game demands so much attention all the time.

They did this in World of Conflict, too. The United Nations' units would natter away in their native languages if left away from other, foreign, things. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Evil Genius you could gloat over enemies you'd captured. If you did this on Special Agents (think pastiches of various James Bond characters) there was a chance they could escape and begin to wreak havoc. This came as a horrible surprise the first time it happened. :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

oldpainless posted:

In Uncharted 3, whenever you go near a wall or a pillar or something, Drake will put his hands out and push against it, changing his body language to his surroundings. Just a neat little touch whereas most games have <WALKING ANIMATION> and you just walk into a wall without changing.

Similar in Prototype 2 where James, the player character, will shift his body weight and posture to accommodate his feet being on two different levels rather than one of them levitating off the ground. Small things. :unsmith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Buzkashi posted:

During one of the huge firefights I turned on slow motion and launched a grenade over their cover and heard one of the guys shout, in deep slowed-down audio, "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" and that basically cemented my love of F.E.A.R.

"Flank him!"

"gently caress you!"

:allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Holy poo poo , that dude actually sounds like that. It's not a voice :eek:

I would have sworn he was doing his best Clint Eastwood impression for the whole game.

You cannot imagine how loving smug I was linking that video to people who ripped into Jensen's VA for 'trying too hard' with his performance. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
While we're talking about Metal Gear Solid 4, if you have a wireless head piece attached - such as a bluetooth ear piece - then codec conversations and radio snippets you get will be transmitted from that equipment specifically, complete with distortion to mimic 'real world' communication.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The voice acting and animation in The Secret World is really good during conversations, but your character is mute and largely expressionless during them. This is played with in a couple of cases though - the character you're interacting with will offer their hand but then do a discrete 'ahem' movement when they realise they're not getting a response, and place it on their belly or scratch their head instead. It's so silly. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The tank crews laughing about taking small-arms fire will always have a special place in my heart.

"Oh, no, I think they scratched our paint! :mmmhmm:"

"The gently caress's he playing at. :wtc:"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Buzkashi posted:

I was pretty impressed when I saw they had different animations if you interrogate a guy near a ledge or wall.

This also applies to a lot of finishing moves - Bats will often smash a goon's head against a nearby desk, or crack them against a wall. :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

The great irony is that Valve cut almost all of Rochelle's lines because the playtesters reacted badly to a woman with Francis' schtick.

Wasn't it because she was directly aggressive and critical, rather than Francis' faux-tough guy attitude?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Faerie Fortune posted:

I love how in Civilization IV (and probably V too, I didn't play it that much) when you click on a unit and give it orders, it will respond to you in the language of the civ you're playing. If you pick England, you'll get some English dude talking at you, America gets an American accent, the Celts get Gaelic and so on. It's actually a really nice touch and it makes you feel more like you're commanding a culture instead of a video game abstraction.

World in Conflict had something similar if you're controlling multinational or UN forces: if left by themselves you can hear them nattering and exchanging conversation in their native tongue, but when you (intended as an American commander) give them orders they'll switch to adorably shaky English, complete with appropriate accent. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In the mission brief it says Stephen Heck actually set that cannon up months ago just in case he had a chance to use it. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Now that I've noticed it I can't stop noticing the lack of it elsewhere, but in Human Revolution I realised that certain enemies will turn and look behind themselves - or to the sides - by completely rotating themselves, all without stopping or slowing their stride. It looks really natural (exactly how someone would look around themselves while on the move) and I'm struggling to think of any other game that does that. :psyduck:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
All the guns in Far Cry 3 are lovely third world pieces of crap that were snapped up for cheap third hand. As a result they look and sound endearingly beat up. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Anatharon posted:

StarCraft 2 was pretty flawed, particularly in it's Single player story, but it has some nice touches.

Before the first mission, Jim Raynor shoots at the TV, which is playing propaganda.

A note also gets sent to Raynor, saying the cost of the television will get added to his (already quite hefty) tab. :buddy:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Far Cry 3 again. Its campaign isn't anything incredible but when it hits a high note holy poo poo it hits it. There's a mission where you have to burn down a drug field with, obviously, a flamethrower.

This kicks in as soon as the burning starts. It makes the entire sequence perfect. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's been mentioned before but it didn't really hit me until I played the game myself. In Spec Ops your melee kills, or "executions" become increasingly deranged in keeping with the mental state of your character. Near the beginning it's just a quick shot to the head or neck stamp, then it becomes a shot to the knee then a brief savour before the headshot, and finally you can end up pounding someone for a good few seconds before slamming their skull or into the ground or forcing your gun barrel down their throat before pulling the trigger.

It's just, goddamn. :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

El Seano posted:

What?! I've put about 20 hours into this game and never knew this, was there even a tutorial?!

Nope. :iamafag:

It makes gunfights feel a lot more fluid - it's quicker to use the cover function than manually strafe out of cover, and you're not as exposed either.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't sure if this should be go in the good or bad thread, but what the hell. Hunted: The Demon's Forge has two different endings, a good and a bad one with the latter having two variations - if one or both of the players drank "Sleg" (an extremely powerful liquid that gives you massive combat buffs for a brief time) they're possessed and kill their partner at the end.

Now the dialogue in the game is quite predictable even if the acting itself is quite decent, but bad ending you get with the Elf girl (she's killed by the male warrior, and you last see her in the afterlife lamenting what happened) suddenly turns up her voice acting to an extreme level. She's not dramatic, she's not over acting, she's not trying too hard. She just delivers her final lines with an incredible sadness, apologizing profusely for what she's done. I don't know why this scene got me to so badly; it's a bloody action game, not a deep roleplaying experience. :smith:

The scene in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t3hyFPO8aY&t=200s

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sleeping Dogs has battle damage represented on the main character but it makes a distinction between damage dealt and damage taken. Get the poo poo beaten out of you? Your face is going to be bloody and blood and gunk all over your shirt and trousers. Beat the poo poo out of everyone? Perfectly clean, though perhaps sweaty, face with blood being splattered on your arms and legs. :smug:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Inspector_71 posted:

I loved being able to work my wingsuit into an escape. "Oh no a cliff whatever shall I do?!"

Speaking of which there's an achievement called "He Didn't See That Coming" you get by killing someone when dropping from a paraglider or your wingsuit. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
AFAIK it was part of the original game that Jack would actively taunt you over the NEW-U system when you bought it, but play testers apparently found it really annoying for all the wrong reasons. Plus, y'know, up until That Point it's deeply personal and he wants to be the one who does you in.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In The Suffering you play a convicted murderer who may-or-may-not-have murdered his family. It's a third person action horror game and a special ability you have is the ability to turn into a raging behemoth and tear enemies apart with your monstrous claws. However, if you transform in front of friendly NPCs (and some hostile, human ones) you notice they don't actually make any comments on your new appearance - only your actions. You're not turning into anything, it's a representation of your character flipping the gently caress out and ripping things apart with his bare hands. :black101:

The sequel wasn't so ambiguous, sadly, and you did actually transform but it was such a cool detail that was very easy to miss.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you were neutral you got the most depressing ending - your wife died because of your domestic abuse, which provoked your son into killing his brother and then throwing himself out of a window before you could hurt either of them. :smith:

The game had a surprising amount of nuance in its story telling, if not necessarily the presentation.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of which in the Hard Rain (Dead Rain? I forget...) mission there are random, violent, storms that kick in during certain levels. Quite impressive on their own but if they're even neater when you realise they're completely loving up sound levels in your mic and headset, forcing you to yell really loudly to get heard by your team mates. It's not just a trick either, the sound is being genuinely hosed with. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Leovinus posted:

Hitman: Blood Money did this as well. At the end of each mission, you'd see a newspaper report about the assassination. It'd comment on your performance and let you know what evidence you'd left behind for the authorities. Depending on how stealthy you were, it'd put a different picture as the story head - from a silhouette if you were really stealthy, up to a full-on photograph. In between there were several artist's impressions with different levels of accuracy. I think on one mission you could be spotted by a child and the paper would have a child's drawing of 47 on it.

Similar to this, there's a point in Max Payne 3 where you can tune into a TV broadcast that's talking about events earlier in the game, making reference to how the police are searching for Max - the identikit image they use is the gurning, constipated face he had during the original game. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, it's Alex Casey bleeding out in the snow. And since it's blatantly meant to be Max Payne and he's "coming home" to his dead wife and kid...

I'm wondering if it's less of a cute easter egg and more of an intentional layer in the recursive, meta sandwich of the plot. While it doesn't quite gel perfectly, I really like the idea of Alan Wake basically being a story about Sam Lake writing about Sam Lake writing about Sam Lake who also wrote about Sam Lake (insomuch that this Sam Lake is played by Sam Lake). Who at one point meets Sam Lake on a late night show. :v:

Sam Lake has said he considered Max's story over and done with the second game, iirc, not even considering the third to be a Thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Christoph posted:

And hell, speaking of slow motion, the bullet-time in F.E.A.R. would have been pretty forgettable except that your character had the instant-killing jump kick. Plenty of games say that you're Mr. Tactical Combat Badass, but going into a room and shooting a dude with a shotgun while launching a fatal jumpkick really makes you feel like your character is something special compared to a guy who can simply run and shoot good.

This was amazing with the distorted slow motion voices.

"He's too faAAAAARGH"

"What the fuNYAAAARGH"

:allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

QuestWhat posted:

"Hey whHEEERRREE AAARRRREEE YOOOOUUUUUUU GOOOOOOOOIIIIINNGGGGGG?????"

That line always cracks me up during the elevator ambush.

Speaking of which did you know there's bonus dialogue if you kill all the replicants? :buddy:

"OK OK YOU MADE YOUR POINT I'M SAFE GET BACK HERE"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Balobam posted:

And on the redneck marriage level, if you stand in the middle of the people who are dancing for long enough then 47 will join them while getting cheered on. He isn't such a bad guy after all.

In addition you can start a fight here and unlike in other levels, only the target fights back - someone comes running over to calm things down and your cover isn't blown. Similarly if you take one of the aforementioned upgraded guns to this mission and begin shooting into the swamp alongside some other rednecks, they comment on how fancy your gun is. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Just this piece of music was my favourite little thing in Morrowind. I don't think any piece of video game music (which I am a sane person and rate well below classical music) has ever captured the spirit of a game so well. It faithfully represents those moments of sunrise-lit exploration that really made up for Morrowind's poor fighting system (and most other systems).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX74T7ZwreY

If I'm not mistaken this is one of the tracks that plays every so often during Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion content. :unsmith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Defiance lets you ride buggies and other vehicles which is great by itself, but for some reason I am endlessly amused at one of the buggies popping out little cooler flaps whenever your boost ability runs out. There is zero point for the vehicle to have that and it's barely noticeable, yet it's completely adorable. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Also in Metro 2033, the main character will start fiddling with those weapons when he's idle and more often than not break something off of them, or begin throwing them up in the air and end up bonking himself on the head. For a silent protagonist that puts a huge amount of personality into him - he's still a kid at heart. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alhazred posted:

John Marston's attempts to greet people in Spanish is adorable:allears:

ME. LLAMO. JOHN. MARSTON.

He is the best worst gunfighter.

• Locked thread