Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much any action game that lets me replay any level I've beaten. Bayonetta and Uncharted 2 immediately come to mind. For both collecting stuff and just replaying the awesome parts of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AuntJemima posted:

In Nier there is background music playing at most times like most games. But in your little village there is someone actually playing it and if you get closer you can hear the acoustic kick in and once you get close enough you can actually hear her singing. If you talk to her she stops singing too. I thought it's pretty cool.

Bastion does this too, in one level. Of course, it's great in both games because they both have great soundtracks.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DeathBySpoon posted:

I could seriously just go on and on about this game, it's easily one of my all time favorites. MGS3 is just as awesome- on that note, no one mentioned this one. So The End, the sniper that was mentioned, has a pet parrot. During the battle with The End, his parrot acts as a scout and flies around on its own. You can actually shoot, kill, and eat the parrot. The End cries out and curses you for killing his only friend :smith:

I pretty much always have a game of MGS3 going whenever I don't feel like playing something else. I'm currently working through the HD version (maybe my 4th or 5th time through the game over all the versions) and I finally killed the End the first time you see him; after the first cutscene with him, if you're really fast with the sniper rifle you can just shoot him right as soon as the cutscene ends. It changes the End boss battle into a rematch with the Ocelot unit. For a series that generally has linear plots, MGS3 is actually really reactive to how you play.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daionus the 23rd posted:

One neat thing about Star Control 2 is that there are some races that look almost like humans, and the fact that they're not very different is a plot point.

One thing I liked about it is that every race has a history behind them, even the enigmatic ones. I also like how every item you can acquire can be reviewed by a team of scientists at the home base. My favorite is the Neo-Dynarri's item report, which has him mind-controlling Commander Hayes to alter his report.

Also, there are two secrets that the game doesn't tell you about in any real way. The first has to do with the VUX. According to Commander Hayes, the VUX hate humans because the first meeting between the two races had the human accidentally insult the VUX. You can try to apologize each time you meet a VUX ship, and after a certain number of attempts, they'll finally accept it and admit they hate humans because they think they're ugly. The other is getting the Thraddash to join the Alliance by destroying enough of their ships, which is actually pretty easy. You can choose how they will act, what they can study, and what they call themselves. I ended up letting them come up with their own name (Culture 20), had them act politely, and had them study comedy videos.

Another thing is that human ships are extremely effective against VUX ships, further establishing their rivalry.

Yet another thing is that the Pkunk have a random chance of reincarnating when they die, and in fact can do this if their ship is destroyed in battle. However, it is still completely random.

I played through Star Control 2 savescumming constantly and with an FAQ open the whole time, and still loved every second of it. It's worth at least trying the game blind, but it's one of those games where the only legit way to beat it is really to take a lot of notes and play it a few times.

One particular part I really liked was how you could fast-forward/rewind the dialogue, although that's pretty necessary considering there's no in-game journal and every single puzzle in the game is more or less going through conversation trees and figuring out what information is relevant.

And every different race you come across is another great moment, especially some of the quests to get some of the races and the rewards, particularly the samurai kangaroo quest that leads to getting infinite workers. Sorry if details are vague, I played the game like 6 years ago.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Jul 23, 2012

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas again so I can finish off the last of the DLC, and I really love the fact that all of the DLC (besides the two tiny ones that were originally preorder bonuses) clearly have a lot of care put into them; each one really helps expand the world, and comes with unique equipment, enemies, perks, and a fully fleshed-out story that ties into both the base game and the other DLCs. Also, none of them feel like content that was left out of the original game, which is the problem with many other games.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
To tie in with the Digital Devil Saga/Nocturne talk, I loved how, in the chaos ending of Catherine, the protagonist becomes a demifiend, complete with Tron lines. The last few puzzles of that game were bullshit hard, but I still stand by the opinion that Catherine is an amazing game.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, the weird rubber chicken-esque Havok physics animations is one of my favorite little things in many great games such as Dark Souls and Backyard Wrestling featuring the Insane Clown Posse.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

BoF 3 and 4 (and I THINK Dragon Quarter) also have town building sidequests, except that they don't involve recruiting from the outside world. Instead you build houses to allow the inhabitants to breed or immigrate (it's fairies in 3 and 4, ants in DQ.) You give inhabitants orders like collect resources, dig here, build here and then the "sim" progresses as you play the normal game.

In Dragon Quarter, the ant colony could be upgraded with a bank that let you invest in a currency exchange that was based on the play clock. As long as you checked up on it every hour or two, you could have more money than you'd ever need by at least the end of your second run through the game, and effectively infinite money beyond that. Basically, that game did a lot of little things that took out the more tedious elements of a new game+.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think this has been said before, but I'm playing Deadly Premonition for myself for the first time, but I watched the LP of it a while back, and I appreciate that the game is actually a proper murder mystery with clues that would let the player solve the murder before the characters in the game do; most games just pull plot twist after plot twist out of nowhere.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dungeons of Dredmore adds a new title screen that you can choose from with every expansion pack. There's a free expansion called You Have to Name the Expansion Pack. On the title screen for that expansion pack, you can click on the phrase "You Have to Name the Expansion Pack" and name the expansion pack whatever you want.

I'm now playing Dungeons of Dredmore Rising Revengeance.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hel posted:

Man I bought the HD edition for Peace Walker but maybe I should play through the others again. MGS3 HD is just Snake Eater minus the vampire game right? It has nothing from Subsistence?

It has everything from Subsistence except Metal Gear Online, the cutscene viewer, the vampire game, and the Snake vs Monkey stuff. It still has the improved camera controls, the new camouflages, and the ports of Metal Gear 1 & 2.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheSpiritFox posted:

I know nothing about that game other than the OP of the thread I read a week ago. Does the game tell you you're horrible for playing it to try to get you to make that decision? That almost sounds more like quiet encouragement to remember and replay the game after you finish with it and don't think about it for five years.

Yes and no.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xoidanor posted:

One of the most impressive parts of NIER audio work is how it is all efficiently seamed together in-game, something you can never get while listening to the soundtrack. For example in your village a vocal-less version of song of the ancients play in the background. That is until you walk up the singer which makes the singing seamlessly merge with the background track until you walk away from her.

This is used to the utmost in the middle of the game where an extremely basic version of the Shadowlord starts getting played in the beginning of a cutscene and then slowly as the cutscene progresses the other instruments and finally the choir singing mixes into it seamlessly.

Bastion does this in a couple places, too. Dynamic music is always awesome.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just started playing The Knife of Dunwall DLC for Dishonored, and I like that Daud's abilities are similar to Corvo's, but different in ways that fit with how he appeared in the base game.

Also what I like about Dishonored is that after I beat it, I finally went back and blasted through the last half of Bioshock I had left, which was also awesome. And then Steam had the Dishonored DLCs, and Bioshock 2+DLC/Infinite on sale, so I immediately got those along with Deus Ex Invisible War because I want to see how far I can stretch my love of first person action RPGs.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Dec 21, 2013

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NinjaHandJobMan posted:

In Southpark The Stick of Truth I turned on the subtitles to see if it actually posted what Kenny was saying. It does. As "Mhhph hmmm-mh mpph" stuff. I don't know what I was expecting, but that was amazing.

While they were actually translated and not gibberish, back when I played Knights of the Old Republic, talking to Wookiees with English subtitles over Wookiee speech was hilarious to me at that age.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Potato posted:

I love all the ambient dialogue you'll hear while traveling through New York in LEGO Marvel Super Heroes:

"Iron Man? Sounds like a domestic product to me."
"Which came first, Howard or the egg?"
"Who would win in a fight? The Statue of Liberty or Galactus?"
"Who would win in an angry fight? Nick Fury or the Hulk?"
"Who would win in a fight? Iceman or Pyro? Oh, wait."
"Look, Timmy, it's that...hero you like."

Is it just a reference, or can you actually play as Howard the Duck in the game?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

apsouthern posted:

No, you can play as him.

Check the name of the achievement that pops up when you select him for the first time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osiEIXINgwQ

Sold. I haven't actually read a Howard the Duck comic in over 10 years (when the comic was based around taking the piss out of Image & Vertigo), but I can't say no to a game with Howard as a playable character.

I'm not going to spoil myself by clicking that youtube link, but I assume the achievement is called GEORGE LUCAS DUCK TITS.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've only gotten a chance to play about an hour of Lego Marvel, but I've already seen both H.E.R.B.I.E. and Dead Pool driving Magneto's flying car.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I honestly can't understand playing them for any other reason though.

Marvel nostalgia, also sometimes I'm too tired and or drunk after work to get into Dark Souls or Dungeon Crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Squibidyflop posted:

I can't say I don't understand the hate for FFXIII, but I legitimately enjoy that game and it's sequels. I feel like people passed judgement on it far too quickly.

In the interest of not starting an argument, I recently picked up RAGE in a Steam sale, and I must say it's one of the best shooters I've ever played. I doubt the experience would be as fluid on console, but on PC it certainly feels like a game made by people who play games. I love that you load shotgun shells two at a time because it has two barrels, I love that the sights on the guns are actually useful without being a big circle with a dot in the middle, I love that great care is taken to make sure the interior areas aren't just copy-pasted dark corridors, and they have set-pieces and vistas that are unique to each one. My absolute favourite idea from the game is that on higher difficulties, your guns are less accurate. It does a great job of increasing and retaining tension in a game where a skilled player could otherwise get perfect headshots on every enemy.

I never finished RAGE, but if it was just a straight-up first person shooter, it would have been one of my favorite FPSs of recent history. Unfortunately, the parts of RAGE that were bad are specific things I can't stand in games.

• Locked thread