Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Not major selling points or big parts of the gameplay, just tiny things that make you enjoy the game a lot more or make you appreciate how much effort the developers put into the game.

In the Crash Bandicoot games (At least in 2 and 3) if you keep dying in the same part of a level, the games will eventually start giving you a mask for health when you respawn and more checkpoints will appear in the level. It makes it so much less frustrating if you're stuck on a hard level, like that one path on Cold Hard Crash in 2.

Far Cry 2 has its problems, but the the way your GPS showed you if you where anywhere near a diamond briefcase was extremely helpful for finding most of them without even needing a guide. And every single vehicle in the game had a GPS unit mounted on the dashboard, which made it even easier (On foot you have to actually take out your GPS to see it).
I also liked that when you look at your map it doesn't pause the game and bring up a map screen, you actually take it out and look at it. I enjoyed being able to glance down at the map while driving to see where I needed to go, and the experience of simulating being a distracted driver in ways that other games don't match every time I crashed into a tree because I was looking at the map instead of the road :downs:

Also, GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony's pause menu music. I sometimes paused the game just to chill out to that music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 has a really memorable sequence, the boss fight with The Sorrow. His gimmick is that he summons the ghosts of everyone you have killed. It's not just generic soldiers - these are literally the same guys you've gunned down on your way there. They even have the same wounds that killed them. For instance, if you kill lots of people by blasting their legs off, they'll be limping in this scene. This is pretty neat in itself, and was enough of a reason for me to go on an absolutely crazy killing-spree run, just to see how many ghosts I could rack up.
Now, the re-release of MGS3 adds a really clever easter egg to this part. Earlier on, you can kill guards in a desert area, and vultures will eventually swoop down to eat the corpses if they're left in place. You can kill and eat those vultures. If you do this after they've taken a few bites out of the guards, those same guards show up in The Sorrow's scene with vultures on their shoulders, screaming about how you ate them.

There's also that thing with The End where he just dies on his own if you have a save right before him and enough real-life time passes. Or you can just shoot him the first time you see him to avoid fighting him.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
I'm replaying Grim Fandango, and I'm loving the mural on the save screen. Not only is it an interesting way of showing how far you are in the game (It starts out completely darkened and small squares get highlighted every time you make any progress), but it's also an amazing stylized representation of just about everything in the game:

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
I was just remembering the San Francisco Rush games, and thinking about how you could adjust the amount of fog when picking a track to make it easier or harder. Except on the Los Angeles track in the second game the option in the menu changed to smog, and it was brown instead of the usual grey :laugh:

Also, in the first Grandia your party will camp out for the night when you reach specific points in dungeons. I always thought it was a neat way of making it seem like you were going on a long journey compared to the lack of progression of time JRPGs usually have.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

Xander77 posted:

Beyond Good and Evil which I'm replaying right now, has some of the most natural voice acting I've hear in years, old games or new. The way characters react to environment triggers doesn't feel like a trigger, just like something the characters would say given the situation.

The console versions of Beyond Good and Evil also had a great way of entering text where the letters were on a sort of spiral instead of the typical on screen keyboard. It worked really well and needs to be in more games.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
In Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (And I think also in the first one) if you shoot one of your NSA teammates on a mission where they show up at the very beginning or end, the mission failed screen will say:

MISSION FAILED

YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND

instead of a normal reason why you failed :laugh:

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Just Cause 2 has different camouflage paint jobs for enemy vehicles depending on what part of the map you find them in. There's jungle, desert and mountains, and some vehicles also have all green or all black paint jobs. I thought it was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
In the Saboteur, if you're on a mission and have someone else in the car with you, any dialogue stops if you go through a Nazi checkpoint, then resumes with the main character saying "Now where were we?" afterwards. You know, because you can't go around talking about your sabotage plans in front of Nazi guards.

And something important that I've only seen in The Saboteur, Sleeping Dogs, and GTA4 Ballad of Gay Tony: They mark the entire course on your map when you're in a race, instead of just having the next few checkpoints show up on your map like in every other open-world game ever. Sleeping Dogs even shows you the course before you start a race if you hover the cursor on the map over a race start location. It also doesn't have any checkpoints you have to go through (There are flares marking the route, but you don't have to drive through them), and there are lots of barricades and stuff that make it very obvious where you're supposed to go. The Saboteur also doesn't have checkpoints, and I think it also adds a bunch of unbreakable barricades on the sides of the route to keep you on track. Those small things makes races a lot better than in most games that have them as side things.

• Locked thread