Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«81 »
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

I'll get around to finishing typing up my "gear" post for the OP tonight probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

I spent the day talking to the owner of Spuhr and apparently there are long range competitions in Sweden which he invited me to.

He gave me some pointers on my .338LM purchase and basically ordered me to buy a used Sauer STR (really cheap in Sweden) or anything in 6.5x55 really to use when I do not want to shoot past 1km.

Ohno, I need more guns.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Good god those mounts look beefy

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Good god those mounts look beefy

How on earth will that level be useful underneath the scope?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Should in theory be visible to the shooter without shifting position to look at it.

Heintron: I've been telling everyone to buy something in 6.5x55 for like, forever. JUST DO IT

genderstomper58
Jan 9, 2005

by XyloJW

Your OP is really nice and informative so thank you

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

gimpsuitjones posted:

Should in theory be visible to the shooter without shifting position to look at it.

Dunno, that would have to be some healthy eye relief.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I've been telling everyone to buy something in 6.5x55 for like, forever. JUST DO IT

I'm so glad I did. I found that I had to load pretty hot to get the precision I wanted, but even at my hotter loading it's still the most pleasant serious rifle round I've ever fired.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I'm so glad I did. I found that I had to load pretty hot to get the precision I wanted, but even at my hotter loading it's still the most pleasant serious rifle round I've ever fired.

How hot? Book data is seriously soft for x55

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

37.8 gr of IMR 4895. I'm sure that's still way under what the action can take, though. Book data cut off at 36.5 gr in my Lyman book, but Sierra and a couple other guides go to 37.8 gr for modern actions. No pressure signs at all so I could probably go a bit further but ehhhh. QuickLoad says I should be fine up to 38.5 gr but not much further.

I might try Reloader 22 next, especially since it's stocked all the time at Walmart and well regarded for 6.5x55.

edit: I should also pick up a Norma or Lapua load book, because I'm sure they go balls to the wall and say 40 gr or something like that.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Vihtavuori or Lapua manual specifically has a page for modern action 6.5x55 as I recall

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Neither apparently have information for IMR 4895. I figured it'd be pretty common outside the US but maybe not?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Not here, I assume not in Europe either

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. (It's a super ancient powder though so I imagine there are equivalent powders out there, just not sure what they're called)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It's roughly equivient to H4895 which is exactly the same as ADI 2206H

Why are you using it anyway, it's not the best powder for X55, too fast burning... H4350, H4831SC or say, VV N560 would be better (Or RL19 or RL22)

(Vihtavuori lists N560, 139gr Scenar at 2887fps max which is more like my experience in a modern action)

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 29, 2012

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

It was very well recommended on the CZ forums, my Lyman book, and the guy I shoot with once in a while who used it with his 6.5x55 hunting rifle.

I'm gonna pick up some RL22 tomorrow.

A Magical Unicorn
Mar 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gimpsuitjones posted:

Heintron: I've been telling everyone to buy something in 6.5x55 for like, forever. JUST DO IT

You know, I think we need a (inevitably short-lived) 6.5x55 thread.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > The Firing Range > Long Range Shooting, V2: Seriously, why don't you try 6.5x55?

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I asked Lincoln's Wax, and he said it was OK to make a post about this, provided I followed the old Classifieds rules...

I put my FN SPR A1a up on the auction block, and I thought someone in this thread might be interested. It's a really nice, sub-MOA rifle, well-regarded over on Sniper's Hide, but it's ultimately just not my style and I haven't shot it in nearly two years (I have kept it cleaned and oiled though). As a Goon Discount, if you'd like it, I'm going to offer free shipping and $25 off your bid price on top of that (if you live near Tampa I can give you 100 rounds of DAG .308 surplus in lieu of shipping).

Just like the old Classifieds thread, please PM me to claim it, or if you have questions, rather than derailing the thread.

Yond Cassius fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 31, 2012

foghorn
Oct 8, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > The Firing Range > Long Range Shooting, V2: Seriously, why don't you try 6.5x55?

BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE SWISS CHEESE!

Hey Action Jesus, now that you've owned that 700 for a bit how do you like it? I'm considering getting one because I don't feel like threading my Vanguard for my new silencer...

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

foghorn posted:

Neither do Swedes.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So, Savage posted a thing on their Facebook page.

‎300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

quote:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

tl;dr: .300 AAC/Blackout shoots great when it isn't subsonic, but shooting it as designed yields sub-par accuracy.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

kwantam posted:

Neither do Swedes.

Yes we do

In other lr news the .338LM rifle I want is going to take a while because the Swedish police are assholes.

Edit:

charliebravo77 posted:

tl;dr: .300 AAC/Blackout shoots great when it isn't subsonic, but shooting it as designed yields sub-par accuracy.

Sounds like my 30-06 subsonic load

moosepoop fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 2, 2012

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

charliebravo77 posted:

Heavy, low-BC bullets when shot at well under 1100fps aren't the paragon of accuracy? Welp.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Do they make .308 wadcutters? That'd be pretty awesome out of .300 AAC/Blackout.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Do they make .308 wadcutters? That'd be pretty awesome out of .300 AAC/Blackout.

Will .351 WSL fit in an AR action?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...point-box-of-50

Not a wadcutter, but these might be pretty nifty and are a much better ogive match for that low a velocity.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!

foghorn posted:

Hey Action Jesus, now that you've owned that 700 for a bit how do you like it? I'm considering getting one because I don't feel like threading my Vanguard for my new silencer...

you're just such a goober

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

I cant tell if you're actually deriding him or jokingly posting that

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Gtab posted:

I cant tell if you're actually deriding him or jokingly posting that

That's the sort of thing a goober would say.

Actual question: Anyone have experience drilling an Accustock for a Karsten comb? It seems like a really good way to unfuck my cheekweld without having to send wkarma lots of money for a really nice stock

dude has a really nice stock

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

If you want a higher comb just buy a stockpack?? Or tape some foam on your comb. Or get lower rings possibly.

If you think it's a good idea to buy an entirely new rifle rather than spend $60 having someone thread the muzzle of your existing one. Welp.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

DkHelmet posted:

Heavy, low-BC bullets when shot at well under 1100fps aren't the paragon of accuracy? Welp.

high BC bullets actually generally in the subsonic loadings, which has nothing to do with short range accuracy anyway

Probably stability problems due to insufficient twist rate or something, there's no reason it should have accuracy problems

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

gimpsuitjones posted:

If you think it's a good idea to buy an entirely new rifle rather than spend $60 having someone thread the muzzle of your existing one. Welp.

Noted idiot foghorn is the guy who previously spent several thousand dollars on guns to "get better at 3-gun" when he was starting out in that game.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Gtab posted:

Noted idiot foghorn is the guy who previously spent several thousand dollars on guns to "get better at 3-gun" when he was starting out in that game.

oh I'm aware that he's a goober

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

gimpsuitjones posted:

high BC bullets actually generally in the subsonic loadings, which has nothing to do with short range accuracy anyway

Probably stability problems due to insufficient twist rate or something, there's no reason it should have accuracy problems

Which is strange because Savage is generally pretty good about selecting proper twist rates and chambering rifles in less common calibers. The 300 whisper is supposed to be very accurate but most guns in that are custom jobs so who knows.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

bunnielab posted:

Which is strange because Savage is generally pretty good about selecting proper twist rates and chambering rifles in less common calibers. The 300 whisper is supposed to be very accurate but most guns in that are custom jobs so who knows.

It's inherently difficult to get a twist rate that will do Savage-accurate with 125 grain matchy bullets and 220 grain fatty bullets. That was their problem, I thought.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Action Jesus posted:

I know, the Remingtons were recommended against as well, for a variety of reasons
Could someone elaborate on this please? I was actually planning on picking up a 700LTR in .308 tomorrow afternoon.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Been over it a million times, but basically, Remington have some lovely quality control and the 700 is a kinda poorly designed action with many flaws that haven't been addressed in the last 50 years. Yes they're nit-picky flaws blah blah blah but they're equivalent to the sort of flaws in lower-end AR15s for example and it's a daily occurrence for someone to be yelled at here for wanting to buy DPMS or del-ton or some poo poo. Same exact thing.

You can get better rifles that will shoot as well or better from factory with better features, better calibres and twist rates, better quality control, for similar prices

People make the argument that "It's got so much aftermarket!!" but that's meaningless. Realistically what aftermarket items can you require for a bolt action?

-Stocks... the best stocks are generally inletted for other, better actions as well
-Triggers... ditto... some other factory rifles even come with a usable trigger!! (shocking, I know)
-Barrels... universal. some rifles you can even do barrel changes easily at home (Savage, various Euro rifles)
-Optics mounts... there are options for picatinny rails for pretty much every rifle known to man. There might be 50 people who make them for the 700 and only like 5 who make them for say, the Howa 1500, but how many options do you need to choose from?
-Mag kits (DBM)... Again, some rifles come with quality DBM from factory, there are aftermarket options for most others anyway

That is basically it. There are a bunch of other aftermarket bits for the remington - Sako extractors etc - but they basically fix flaws in the action that other actions don't have, therefore not requiring the aftermarket item.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

gimpsuitjones posted:

-Optics mounts... There might be 50 people who make them for the 700 and only like 5 who make them for say, the Howa 1500...
Even better, the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard can use Rem 700 scope bases/mounts. So there's at least 55.

vvv yeah I meant 2pc mounts. EGW makes a 1pc rail for the Howa/Wby that is great.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

the long action 700 and howa are the same, but the spacing for the mount holes on the short action 700 and howa is different. You can use 2-piece 700SA bases on a SA howa but not one-piece, you have to get one made for the howa - or get a couple of new holes drilled in a remington one.

custom rails are also actually pretty cheap and a good option if you want a weird cant or something... the one for my Sako 75 + drilling and tapping the action cost less than buying a badger ordinance or whatever rail for a 700

«81 »