Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«81 »
Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Opticstrain chat.

I'm gonna be getting a Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP here soon

I have this same scope in mind for my next rifle. I would love to hear your feedback on it once you get a chance. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I've been forcing myself to shoot my stainless Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor more regularly so I can get comfortable with my scopes at extended ranges (500-900y) and have gotten to the point where I can land hits within two rounds on 1/3 IPSC targets an the first rounds have been landing within a few inches of where I'd want them. Feelin' pretty proud of my string of 3 hits at 875y today.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Is that DickButt or am I having a stroke?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

It's definitely a dickbutt, but you still might be having a stroke.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Captain Log posted:

Remember the acronym for strokes. D.F.A.S.T. Dickbutt Face Arms Speech Time. You could save a life.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

Remember the acronym for strokes. D.F.A.S.T. Dickbutt Face Arms Speech Time. You could save a life.

Excellent. I just wrote this next to all my mirrors.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

So you spent all your hunting optics money on your rifle scope and not your binoculars?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flatland Crusoe posted:

So you spent all your hunting optics money on your rifle scope and not your binoculars?

Hah. I wish I had that kind of scratch to burn - I won the riflescope in a raffle.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Took my new stick out for some load dev.

Initial results are...encouraging.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Only 3 holes tho

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Only 3 holes tho

Load development.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

What was the velocity on the group?

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

What was the velocity on the group?

Range was from 2950 to 3150 over the spread, I think this one was about 3100 or just under that with a 215 Hybrid.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

That's one hell of a ballistics table.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

It's supersonic out to ~2600 yards!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What is that bench rest thing?

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

What is that bench rest thing?

Phoenix Precision bipod. They are stupidly expensive, but after getting to shoot off a friend's, there just isn't anything like them. It comes out of F-class, but they work really awesome for ELR too. The wheel in the middle allows you to adjust the height on the fly, and the ski feet keep recoil pretty much straight back and forth to get you back on target faster to spot hits/misses. It's as stable as a big forend rest without all the weight and bullshit those entail.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wkarma posted:

Phoenix Precision bipod. They are stupidly expensive, but after getting to shoot off a friend's, there just isn't anything like them. It comes out of F-class, but they work really awesome for ELR too. The wheel in the middle allows you to adjust the height on the fly, and the ski feet keep recoil pretty much straight back and forth to get you back on target faster to spot hits/misses. It's as stable as a big forend rest without all the weight and bullshit those entail.

Website looked exactly how I pictured it in my head. Same for the price

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Holy making GBS threads gently caress this thing is awesome

Bit thicc tho, at 9lb 14oz

E:

Radiohead71 posted:

I have this same scope in mind for my next rifle. I would love to hear your feedback on it once you get a chance. Thanks.

Initial impressions are

Glass is super amazingly clear, nice big eyebox. It's big, longer than I expected, and heavy, which I did expect. Illumination is strong, illum dial is stiff. Clicks are loud and positive. Reticle is a little fine at 3x (as expected), the illumination helps with that, makes it stick out a bit more.

Zoom ring is also stiff, will be getting a throw lever for sure

These pics don't do it justice, but:
3x

15x

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 29, 2019

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Holy making GBS threads gently caress this thing is awesome

Bit thicc tho, at 9lb 14oz

E:

Initial impressions are

Glass is super amazingly clear, nice big eyebox. It's big, longer than I expected, and heavy, which I did expect. Illumination is strong, illum dial is stiff. Clicks are loud and positive. Reticle is a little fine at 3x (as expected), the illumination helps with that, makes it stick out a bit more.

Zoom ring is also stiff, will be getting a throw lever for sure

3x

15x

I think you posted the same scope zoom twice? Or are my eyes that bad

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

3x

15x

You can say that again.

Radiohead71 posted:

Mines a 5-25x because my eyes suck. Scope is beautiful.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 29, 2019

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Blue On Blue posted:

I think you posted the same scope zoom twice? Or are my eyes that bad

Derp, definitely did.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

What is the goon recommended scope leveling kit that isn't going to cost $500 and will get me ehhhhh close enough aka better than leveling by eye? I have enough scoped rifles I could probably justify ~$100 if it works good and is easy for a knuckle dragging troglodyte like me to use.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Biscuit Hider

ZebraBlade posted:

What is the goon recommended scope leveling kit that isn't going to cost $500 and will get me ehhhhh close enough aka better than leveling by eye? I have enough scoped rifles I could probably justify ~$100 if it works good and is easy for a knuckle dragging troglodyte like me to use.

I used this thing and it worked nicely. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8AXZ98

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

I just slide the appropriately sized allen key between the scope and base. Works like a charm.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

ThinkFear posted:

I just slide the appropriately sized allen key between the scope and base. Works like a charm.

That....... makes a lot of sense. Going to try this thanks.

Also maybe this

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ThinkFear posted:

It's called a feeler gauge. You're welcome.

Doesn't actually level the reticle but if your reticle isn't mechanically level with the body of the scope then maybe you don't deserve to be level

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 6, 2019

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

That poo poo is in the shop and too far of a walk.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What's the general consensus on trigger tech triggers ?

I just got one for my ar and might want one for my rem 700 , if it's a big improvement

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

What bubble level do you use to level your scope when mounting it? I wasn't thinking and bought one too big

Hennig
Jan 4, 2014

Blue On Blue posted:

What's the general consensus on trigger tech triggers ?

I just got one for my ar and might want one for my rem 700 , if it's a big improvement

They are great. I have a “special” for my new 223AI build, and I rate it higher than my Timney and Rifle Basix triggers.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hennig posted:

They are great. I have a “special” for my new 223AI build, and I rate it higher than my Timney and Rifle Basix triggers.

Cool, not sure I can justify the $350 for another for my Remington

The AR one was a freebie, and I figured 'oh $100-150' until I went online after getting home, holy man they're pricey!

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I just got back into shooting after having a lot of fun with my 22lr when I was younger. I picked up a Saiga 7.62 which has been great but I'm getting the itch for some longer range bolt stuff again.

Any opinion on the Howa miniaction in 7.62? I know I'm not gonna be reaching out anywhere crazy with this thing but I mostly shoot on my friends property which goes out to 250 yards or so. Think this would be a good jumping off point for getting back into it?

I'm also thinkin about an RPR or Savage 10 BA Stealth but seems to me that might be kind of overkill right now. I'd love to join a gun club with some longer ranges but the options seem pretty limited in the lower hudson valley.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

If you’re looking at Howa Mini Actions skip 7.62x39 and go with the 6.5 Grendel. The only downside is the ammo costs a little more/might be a harder to find at brick and mortar stores. There are a couple of chassis options out there, plus Boyd’s or Bell and Carlson make traditional style stocks for them. I have heard reports that the more recent B&C stocks can have feeding issues, and Boyd’s are not usually drop in like they claim.

If you’re not dead set on a mini action size I’d honestly just go with a whatever flavor regular length action in 6.5C. It’s going to be easier to find ammo and parts for those rifles too, as the mini actions are still relatively new to market. Magazines are capped at 5rds in Howa Minis, exception being I think there’s a 10 round .223 mag out there.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

JRay88 posted:

If you’re looking at Howa Mini Actions skip 7.62x39 and go with the 6.5 Grendel. The only downside is the ammo costs a little more/might be a harder to find at brick and mortar stores. There are a couple of chassis options out there, plus Boyd’s or Bell and Carlson make traditional style stocks for them. I have heard reports that the more recent B&C stocks can have feeding issues, and Boyd’s are not usually drop in like they claim.

If you’re not dead set on a mini action size I’d honestly just go with a whatever flavor regular length action in 6.5C. It’s going to be easier to find ammo and parts for those rifles too, as the mini actions are still relatively new to market. Magazines are capped at 5rds in Howa Minis, exception being I think there’s a 10 round .223 mag out there.

Thanks yeah, I was letting my now surplus amount of 7.62 sway me a bit. I'm looking at a friends Savage LRP in 6.5C that he's upgraded a bit for $600 - probably gonna bite on that.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

punch drunk posted:

Thanks yeah, I was letting my now surplus amount of 7.62 sway me a bit. I'm looking at a friends Savage LRP in 6.5C that he's upgraded a bit for $600 - probably gonna bite on that.

Or buy the grendel and have barrels made in 7.62x39 and 9x39 so you can shoot whatever caliber makes you smile.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

Or buy the grendel and have barrels made in 7.62x39 and 9x39 so you can shoot whatever caliber makes you smile.

I’m looking hard at buying a spare mini action and rebarelling to 9x39. I already have a .300blk AR, so I keep telling myself I don’t need it. But every time someone talks about one I get the itch.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Does anyone still have the photos from the OP? Does GSJ still come around?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

frunksock posted:

Does anyone still have the photos from the OP? Does GSJ still come around?

GSJ pops up a few times a year in the hunting thread but otherwise he’s been radio silent online including his YouTube channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Have a video of me testing my 300 Norma at 2300y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMjk0qsFW20

«81 »