Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«81 »
Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Wow, .300 Norma Mag.? That warms my Scandinavian heart - any particular reason for the cartridge? Nice shooting!

Also your spotting scope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Psure thatís the main rifle scope. Was wondering on the recording setup I think might have posted before.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Force de Fappe posted:

Wow, .300 Norma Mag.? That warms my Scandinavian heart - any particular reason for the cartridge? Nice shooting!

Also your spotting scope

It hits a good price/performance node, and works with my 30 cal can.

Shaocaholica posted:

Psure that’s the main rifle scope. Was wondering on the recording setup I think might have posted before.

Nope, thats my Burris Signature HD spotter with 30x MOA eyepiece and a phoneskope adapter.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I've been planning on building a 6.5CM rifle, my thought was get a Howa 1500 barreled action and a KRG Bravo chassis. I've been mostly waiting on another sale on the Howa actions @ Brownells (because I swear they were $350 last year).

I just saw that Cabela's has the Ruger Precision Rifle Gen 3 for $1200. I can get it for probably $1100 out the door if I use some discounted gift cards.

The RPR is well regarded, has a good aftermarket, and the chassis allows for more customization since it can take standard AR-15 stocks/grips.

The Howa 1500 would be about $250 cheaper.

The Ruger is only on sale through Sunday. Even though it's more expensive, I'm leaning that way. Anyone think otherwise?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

I personally think the ruger is a pretty mediocre gun for the price and strongly prefer howa and tikka actions for factory guns. Are you wanting a heavy range gun in a chassis or do you have a specific activity or sport in mind?

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

LordOfThePants posted:

I've been planning on building a 6.5CM rifle, my thought was get a Howa 1500 barreled action and a KRG Bravo chassis. I've been mostly waiting on another sale on the Howa actions @ Brownells (because I swear they were $350 last year).

I just saw that Cabela's has the Ruger Precision Rifle Gen 3 for $1200. I can get it for probably $1100 out the door if I use some discounted gift cards.

The RPR is well regarded, has a good aftermarket, and the chassis allows for more customization since it can take standard AR-15 stocks/grips.

The Howa 1500 would be about $250 cheaper.

The Ruger is only on sale through Sunday. Even though it's more expensive, I'm leaning that way. Anyone think otherwise?

Ruger RPRs go on sale pretty regularly, but I love the hell out of mine and would A+ 100% recommend one in 6.5CM.

I had the same dilemma as you until right down to wanting to use a howa for my build

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

I personally think the ruger is a pretty mediocre gun for the price and strongly prefer howa and tikka actions for factory guns. Are you wanting a heavy range gun in a chassis or do you have a specific activity or sport in mind?

Iím looking for a heavy rifle in a chassis. I wonít be hunting with the rifle.

I may hold off. Like Miso said, the RPRs are on sale frequently, so I could always get one later.

Hennig
Jan 4, 2014

I vote the Bravo build - I love this chassis. I just finished my budget custom plinker using one, and itís great.

Ultimatum U300
IBI 16Ē 1:7 223AI
KRG Bravo
Triggertech Special
Vortex Diamondback Tactical in PMRs

Chambered for 80gr ELD-Ms at 2.5 COAL.

Super fun little gun.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The colors on the stock are great, I love it.

Hennig
Jan 4, 2014

Oh man you think thatís crazy? Hold my LSD.

I coated both of these, the blue one is for my buddy.

His is a 223AI as well, with a 20Ē 1:8tw on a Howa.

Hennig fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 19, 2019

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

That is a chonkiboi. What mag does that take?

Hennig
Jan 4, 2014

Miso Beno posted:

That is a chonkiboi. What mag does that take?

Both of those rifles run the 223 steel Accurate Mags with the insert notched to allow for 2.55Ē COAL.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hennig posted:

Both of those rifles run the 223 steel Accurate Mags with the insert notched to allow for 2.55Ē COAL.

oh radddddddd. I'd totally consider going the 223AI route for a build but I inherited a lovely, and bespoke Remington 700 that just loves to eat shittacular federal ammunition.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hahahaha the barrel is tinted blue too, I love it.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Was finally able to take this out to SIG's 1000 yard range.

Its only .308, but holy crap for the money, I couldn't really have done much better.

Even the range officer got a kick out of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

I've been thinking about buying a rifle to learn long-range shooting with. I have two AR15's to play with but I'd like to do 600 yards+, even though I'm not sure how often I'll get a chance to shoot that far.

I went to the local Cabela's and was looking at a couple guns and talking to the guy that worked there that seemed like he knew his stuff. Was telling me about a 6.5 AR10 he's building. At first I was thinking 308 but I'm also thinking strongly about 6.5 creedmoor.

My budget for the gun itself is ~ $1000.

What they had:

Savage MSR 10 Hunter $1,299

Tikka T3X Lite $679

Remington 700 SPS (I'd go with the ADL Varmint as well but I prefer the magazine over the blind box) $719/$449

Remington 700 Magpul 22" barrel on this one $999 (would I end up replacing crap on this one anyway?)

Ashbury Precision Saber this is on 'sale', is it a gimmick or junk? $999

Thompson Center Performance LRR $1,199

Bergara B14 Hunt and Match $899

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Buy a tikka t3x ctr instead of the lite. Get the 24" barrel of you just want it for target practice.

The bergara is an ok choice, but I wasn't overly impressed with the action.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 18, 2019

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I've been thinking about buying a rifle to learn long-range shooting with. I have two AR15's to play with but I'd like to do 600 yards+, even though I'm not sure how often I'll get a chance to shoot that far.

I went to the local Cabela's and was looking at a couple guns and talking to the guy that worked there that seemed like he knew his stuff. Was telling me about a 6.5 AR10 he's building. At first I was thinking 308 but I'm also thinking strongly about 6.5 creedmoor.

My budget for the gun itself is ~ $1000.

What they had:

Savage MSR 10 Hunter $1,299

Tikka T3X Lite $679

Remington 700 SPS (I'd go with the ADL Varmint as well but I prefer the magazine over the blind box) $719/$449

Remington 700 Magpul 22" barrel on this one $999 (would I end up replacing crap on this one anyway?)

Ashbury Precision Saber this is on 'sale', is it a gimmick or junk? $999

Thompson Center Performance LRR $1,199

Bergara B14 Hunt and Match $899

Do you ever plan to carry it in the field, or is this purely a range gun? Do you care about a threaded barrel? Do you have a stock preference (i.e. traditional or chassis)? Magazine preference?

Define + in "600+".

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you're shooting off of a bench and keeping things in that 6-1200y range you can have a lot of fun with a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10. I regularly run mine out to 850 yards with a 1/3 IPSC target.

Miso Beno fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 18, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

wkarma posted:

Do you ever plan to carry it in the field, or is this purely a range gun? Do you care about a threaded barrel? Do you have a stock preference (i.e. traditional or chassis)? Magazine preference?

Define + in "600+".

I don't hunt so it would basically be a bench gun. I'm not sure on a stock preference. 600-800 at the most. Do not plan on a suppressor so a threaded barrel shouldn't be a requirement but I see most of them have one

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I don't hunt so it would basically be a bench gun. I'm not sure on a stock preference. 600-800 at the most. Do not plan on a suppressor so a threaded barrel shouldn't be a requirement but I see most of them have one

The T3X CTR or if you are limited to cabela's, get the Savage 12FV they have on sale right now and drop it in an XLR element or whatever stock of your choice. 308 is fine out to 800, but 6.5 is objectively better. Cost is roughly the same and you probably won't ever have to worry about the faster barrel wear.

I've built or shot several LR guns built off 12FV's and they all shoot great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

I actually have a Savage 17 HMR and didn't even think to take a look at them for the most part, thanks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

TFR, the forums gunshop.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Also cabelaís does FFL transfers for like $25 so donít buy the gun from them, order it from some online place thatíll charge you a lot less and just have them do your transfer.

They donít make commission either so itís not like youíd be harming the dude that helped you.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Similarly i've been looking at the Bergara HMR pro in 6.5. I like the adjustable stock, fact that it takes 700 parts, and the threaded barrel. The action of the one I fondled at the FLGS felt pretty good. What other sticks should I be looking at in that price range?

I want it for bench but would take it hunting occasionally, mostly from a blind so it's not like I would be humping it through the wilderness.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

What's a good ballistic calculator and what range do you normally zero a 1-6x scope? I assume 100m

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What's a good ballistic calculator and what range do you normally zero a 1-6x scope? I assume 100m

Strelok and zero at whatever distance works for you. 50yrds is my preferred zero for my 1-6x AR because it gives me an easy to remember holdovers with the hash marks in my pst2. Some people prefer 100yrds or meters. If you have a bdc scope then follow manufacturers recommended distance.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

What range to zero a rile at is a hot topic for debate on various forums but it really depends on what you are doing with the rifle.

Shooting small groups at known distances with a LPVO? Zero at 100 yards.
Shooting to hit human sized torsos at 5-400 yards with a red dot? 50 yard zero.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Sako just announced the S20 today. I guess itís meant to be like a sig cross but much more in the vain of an AI chassis I guess?

https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-s20/s20

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Canít tell but if they are still using a 6 o clock extractor... oof.

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

I think thats the first Sako rifle Ive seen that I didnt instantly want. I mean, it seems like a good concept but the multipurpose rifle idea just never seems to work as well as a specialized rifle.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks, I hate it.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

i wonder how much more accurate the sako will be than the sig

the sig cross seems way more suited for future proofing/accessories though. a picatinny rail for thermal or whatever, mlok i'm assuming on the top for a pic section you can attach a clip-on too, and it looks way easier to add an arca rail section for tripod use. plus it folds. i haven't really kept up with the sig cross but if it can shoot 3/4 moa 5-shot groups with factory i'd be pretty interested

Specific
Aug 14, 2003

I am going to jump on your face, and now some serious dancin'...

I got excited for half a second hoping against hope that thing would take TRG mags. I just want them to not be $200.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Supposedly JJ Rock's (they of the supermagnum actions) will be releasing their long and short actions at somewhere around 850 bucks. That's pretty drat good for a fully custom action.

R700 footprint and trigger compatibility, floating/replaceable bolt heads, savage pre-fit barrel threads, threaded bolt handle, and body mounted bolt stop. A lot of +'s there!

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...+DATA+SHEET.pdf

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons

Grimey Drawer

Turns out, I hate money!

No range is open right now, but hopefully will be able to take this out soon.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Wow man you really do hate money.

Let us know how it shoots!

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

It's called a hassle, sweetheart..

OK, Iíll be that guy.

What am I looking at?

(Itís beautiful, I mean, whatever it is)

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

OK, I’ll be that guy.

What am I looking at?

(It’s beautiful, I mean, whatever it is)

Fn scar 20s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons

Grimey Drawer

ya, I got a bonus this year so I spent it on a SCAR 20s after finding one for 1k off MSRP.

Or as I call it, "Fifty shades of FDE"

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 28, 2020

«81 »