Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!
Nobody mentioned their kickstarter, which achieved 11 times of the amount asked at the time of this post.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nobody except the OP, but back then they hadn't earned like, a zillion dollars. I wonder what they're going to do with all the money: presumably they had plans for $10k worth of work, and maybe that could scale way up to $50k or something, but once you've got yourself in excess of $100,000 to add stuff to your game, that seems like the time to really sit down and think up some really crazy stuff you can try out now that you've got a financial cushion.

Or maybe it's all going to go into marketing. Who knows!

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Nobody except the OP, but back then they hadn't earned like, a zillion dollars. I wonder what they're going to do with all the money: presumably they had plans for $10k worth of work, and maybe that could scale way up to $50k or something, but once you've got yourself in excess of $100,000 to add stuff to your game, that seems like the time to really sit down and think up some really crazy stuff you can try out now that you've got a financial cushion.

Hopefully modability and a lot more ship types.

And I wouldn't mind seeing an economy and trading game in there too.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
They made it sound like 10k is what it would take to complete the project, but 100k would make it something they could actually live off of. They also said they would finally be able to pay some guy that had helped produce some of the media. When you think about it 110k split between 2 people for working and living expenses isn't that much. Bills and all that....

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

So is the demo still available and playable on 'OnLive'?
I can't seem to find it.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Teledahn posted:

So is the demo still available and playable on 'OnLive'?
I can't seem to find it.
Nope. It was taken down two or so days ago. We should get a beta soonish i think.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

El_Matarife posted:

Hopefully modability and a lot more ship types.

And I wouldn't mind seeing an economy and trading game in there too.

How do you have an economy and trading game when the entire point of the game is running from an inexorable wall of death?

The only resources you really need are crewmen, weapons, ship parts, fuel, and whatever the other thing is. There's already trading in those groups. :colbert:

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 21, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Anticheese posted:

How do you have an economy and trading game when the entire point of the game is running from an inexorable wall of death? :crossedarms:

The only resources you really need are crewmen, weapons, ship parts, fuel, and whatever the other thing is. There's already trading in those groups. :colbert:

Well, think about it as a metaphor for life. All of us are constantly running from the inevitable end that our mortality prefigures, but in the journey towards the eventual nothingness that awaits us in death, we engage in a number of activities, including economic ones, in some attempt to ward off the end. Does the rich person die any less than the poor person? Does each dollar you earn grant you some purchase in existence? No, but we keep it up, because the sense of progress we get from creating and earning serves to replace the sense of an inevitable progression towards the end.

On the other hand you're right that I don't think a spaceship on the run from a massive death fleet is going to worry about buying 5 tons of space coffee at .16 space dollars per oz and selling the space coffee for .18 space dollars per oz. It's going to be too busy not getting blown the gently caress up by asteroids because the shields are down after the robot drone beamed over and killed the pilot making the ship unable to evade the missile targeting the ship's power generator.

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!

tehsid posted:

Nope. It was taken down two or so days ago. We should get a beta soonish i think.

Closed beta should be available to kickstarters who pledged 25$ sometime in May.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
Oh neat-- looks like the beta will be happening via Steam, and kickstarters will be getting a Steam key as well as the DRM-free version.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Plus another video showing off a different ship.

metagamer
Oct 1, 2010

Let me tell you my stupid fucking analogies about "Guild Wal-Mart 2!" PLEASE LET ME TELL YOU
Everybody's thinking it, so I'm just gonna say it. as an indie game this isn't going to succeed without some physics based puzzling, 2d platformer elements and an 8-bit soundtrack. It's just too far from the norm

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
When you think about it, 100k is peanuts if you're funding a half-decent development team. Most projects of this scope take at least a year to complete. They can pull it off with so little because they're indie and putting a lot off their own pockets.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well, the 10K was to pay the art guy and get a few other things sorted, they never really needed the money to finish the game (if what I've read/watched is right) - its mainly a good preorder boost for them, and 100K means we should see some good patches after the fact.

I love the fact that PC games are showing that you don't need graphics that will melt a 3D card to be fun, and you don't need a big budget, high price product to suceed.

Although I do think this is the start of a year of Kickstarter games.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pochoclo posted:

When you think about it, 100k is peanuts if you're funding a half-decent development team. Most projects of this scope take at least a year to complete. They can pull it off with so little because they're indie and putting a lot off their own pockets.

They live in China, so maybe cost of living is fairly low in whatever city they're in?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Played it on OnLive, love it, can't wait for the full game

I wish they would release it now, it's playable as is, but the only way you can get the beta is if you pay $25 which is a bit steep and probably higher than the price of the full game

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

metagamer posted:

Everybody's thinking it, so I'm just gonna say it. as an indie game this isn't going to succeed without some physics based puzzling, 2d platformer elements and an 8-bit soundtrack. It's just too far from the norm

I think getting it on Steam will be the tipping point to success, if you can't count it as a success already. Considering most places that will hype/cover the game are already covering the Kickstarter, there probably isn't a huge base of people left to buy the game when it comes out. Steam will change that since people will see it on the release list and (potentially) word of mouth through seeing friends buying it/playing it.

And really, when they're asking for 10k to finish the game, the rest of the money can be considered as pre-order sales figures rather than investment to expand the game. I suspect that is big problem with most Kickstarter projects that get more funding than they ask for, they use the extra funding to build up the product more before release, but all that extra funding really counts as lost sales from people who won't buy the game after its released and you count it was profit.

marshamsane
Mar 26, 2012
I pledged, and can't wait for this.

I want to get my spacecase on STO is kinda meh, and I haven't played alot of GOOD space titles yet. Looking forward to this one. I particularly love the retro graphics. Reminds me of FleetRunner, an old lovely freeware game my dad used to play when I was like 5.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I love the fact that PC games are showing that you don't need graphics that will melt a 3D card to be fun, and you don't need a big budget, high price product to suceed.

This. I have more fun with games that have great mechanics and deep gameplay rather than graphics. Although graphics certainly do help the thing along. Heck half the games I'm looking forward to this year are indie's that have a large scope and are sacrificing graphics for gameplay (StarDrive and FTL being the notable ones).

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Looks like it's official, FTL will definitely be on Steam:

Kickstarter posted:

Big news! We officially signed a deal with Valve; meaning both the beta and final game will be available through Steam! Everyone who pre-ordered the game through Kickstarter can receive a Steam key in addition to the DRM free version. This also means that to take part in the beta you will need a free Steam account. If you are unable/unwilling to test the beta through Steam, we apologize, but you still have a week to change your pledge amount through Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light/posts

Cant wait for this to get released, and it's pretty drat amazing that they were able to rake in ten times what they were shooting for.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

UltraShame posted:

Looks like it's official, FTL will definitely be on Steam:

Cant wait for this to get released, and it's pretty drat amazing that they were able to rake in ten fifteen point six times what they were shooting for.

Fixed that.

I wonder if the supposed 'DRM free' version folks for folks who pledged between 10-25 dollars will register on steam.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

Fixed that.

I wonder if the supposed 'DRM free' version folks for folks who pledged between 10-25 dollars will register on steam.

Everyone will get a DRM-free and Steam key (if desired). The dev post said 'in addition to'.

EDIT: My post was initially needlessly dickish.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 27, 2012

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Teledahn posted:

I plan to. I like have all my games consolidated. Being required to dip into origin in order to buy ME3 was agonizing enough...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Anticheese posted:

How do you have an economy and trading game when the entire point of the game is running from an inexorable wall of death?

A rough CYOA framework is perfect for a first release to show off the meat of ship to ship combat. But it would also be criminal if this sells well and the ship to ship stuff is as cool as it looks and then we don't get an expansion with a classic space trader sandbox like Escape Velocity.

I don't know if I dreamed it or if it was an actual quote but I thought the devs were interested in such an expansion already.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

zedprime posted:

But it would also be criminal if this sells well and the ship to ship stuff is as cool as it looks and then we don't get an expansion with a classic space trader sandbox like Escape Velocity.

Oh my god this would be the most amazing thing

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I love these. Besides them there's not a lot of material to watch beyond the OnLive demo.

Can't wait to start testing this game. I pledged $25 for access. :kiddo:

Edit: Notice at 3:10 into the video the enemy ship fires his Burst Lasers at the player. He just turns on his cloak to avoid it. I don't get why the lasers would miss if they've already been targetted at the ship, unless the cloak is some type of "phase shift" :techno: thing.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 27, 2012

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

I love these. Besides them there's not a lot of material to watch beyond the OnLive demo.

Can't wait to start testing this game. I pledged $25 for access. :kiddo:

Edit: Notice at 3:10 into the video the enemy ship fires his Burst Lasers at the player. He just turns on his cloak to avoid it. I don't get why the lasers would miss if they've already been targetted at the ship, unless the cloak is some type of "phase shift" :techno: thing.

Cloak bends light to produce invisibility. Laser is light. Laser bends around invisible ship.

Problem solved.

Now if a railgun missed, then you can talk about phase shifting :p

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Third video released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHuG4Qgbxc

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was 5 hours late to donate to the kickstarter. Hopefully the dev cycle won't be too long and I'll be able to get my hand on it very soon. Will pre-orders on Steam be able to play the beta?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I am stoked for this. It looks like most of what I liked about the Battlecruiser 3000AD games (detailed, disaster-prone crew and subsystem modeling) without all the terrible bits (huge expanses of totally empty space, UI designed by aliens, developer off his meds).

Can't wait for a non-OnLive demo, though. :canada:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

ToxicFrog posted:

I am stoked for this. It looks like most of what I liked about the Battlecruiser 3000AD games (detailed, disaster-prone crew and subsystem modeling) without all the terrible bits (huge expanses of totally empty space, UI designed by aliens, developer off his meds).

Can't wait for a non-OnLive demo, though. :canada:

What, OnLive works just fine for me :canada:

The demo is gone since last week though

And speaking of BC3000AD, RPS had the interview with Derek Smart recently, glad to see he's keeping up the crazy http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/02/smartie-has-the-answers-derek-smart-on-line-of-defense/

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
He might be keeping up the crazy, but that's the best account I've ever seen Derek Smart make of himself.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

He might be keeping up the crazy, but that's the best account I've ever seen Derek Smart make of himself.

A bar so low Lucifer can't trip on it.

I'm hoping they do do a sandbox mode as someone mentioned. That would be incredible. Having to run from the Empire is neat and all, but I'd love to just play as long as possible.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
New interview is up at RPGCodex, with a screenshot of a new alien ship:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8133

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nice. Looks like their goal is 6 types of player ships minimum, with the maximum being however many they can make before the game comes out.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Nice. Looks like their goal is 6 types of player ships minimum, with the maximum being however many they can make before the game comes out.

Crap, I thought you would be able to design your own ship :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The last time a thread was made about this game I thought it was the developer, Faster Than Light, getting back together to make another Dungeon Master game.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Node posted:

The last time a thread was made about this game I thought it was the developer, Faster Than Light, getting back together to make another Dungeon Master game.

Well, there was Legend of Grimrock, which was pretty drat close.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New video with a preview of the new ship:

https://vimeo.com/41472447

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pochoclo posted:

Well, there was Legend of Grimrock, which was pretty drat close.

That is why I thought FTL might be having a reunion tour, they saw the success of Grimrock and decided to get the band back together.

• Locked thread