Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Brackhar posted:

It is, it just needs save and quit.

Would it be particularly hard to just hack in a save folder/system if they choose to remain petulant about it? I'm not sure if it generates a stats file during play or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This game better have Klackons.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
This game reminds me wazzal which was the best space game ever.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
The game is lots of fun so far. Best beat fun has been to sector 5 and I unlocked the Engi ship. Going to give it a try tonight.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
People asking for save and quit should man (or woman) the gently caress up. Oh no you had a power cut and lost your game waaaahhh well dying is part of the fun. A power cut? That's just part of the meta-game. It's like FTL Larping.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ted_himself posted:

People asking for save and quit should man (or woman) the gently caress up. Oh no you had a power cut and lost your game waaaahhh well dying is part of the fun. A power cut? That's just part of the meta-game. It's like FTL Larping.

Or we could, you know, have reasonable expectations about the state of video game technology and game design in this day in age. I think I'll stick with that.

E: To sound slightly less confrontational, it's not about dying, I wouldn't play DF/Dark Souls/rogue-likes if I was bothered by losing, it's the agency to decide/have the ability to go, "Alright, I need a break/to step away". Not having it in a game (in fact, especially a rogue-like) is dumb/weird.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 15, 2012

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ted_himself posted:

Dying because of your own mistakes or even because of RNG fuckery is part of the fun. Losing your progress because of a power cut, or because you need to attend to another matter, or because your schedule and commitments are such that you can only play in 10-minute blocks, is not fun at all. Nobody has ever complained that Nethack or ADOM or Crawl or any other roguelike is any less lethal or less of a roguelike because they allow you to resume your last-played game after quitting.

To quote a wise man from the FTL thread:

https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/topics/steam_cloud_save_game_sync posted:

Russell Johnson 13 hours ago

In this year of our lord two thousand and twelve, there is no acceptable reason to not have a system in place that allows you to resume your game.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 15, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think ted was being sarcastic.

Although it would be kind of cool if your apartment/house generator took a direct hit and you had to direct power to the freezer or to your PC. You'd have to choose between all your ice cream melting or your FTL game being lost. FTL larping indeed.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You lot are terrible at detecting sarcasm.

Also, I just had my best game yet. I had 5 crew members, decent upgrades to weapons and shields (3 shield) and then I just got absolutely wrecked in the 5th sector.

Does the game check your ship stats or something before going into a sector and populate it because this is the toughest ship I have ever seen. It had 4 shield, multiple missile launchers and was a "scout" ship so must have had high evasion because I couldn't land a shot.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Xik posted:

Also, I just had my best game yet. I had 5 crew members, decent upgrades to weapons and shields (3 shield) and then I just got absolutely wrecked in the 5th sector.

Does the game check your ship stats or something before going into a sector and populate it because this is the toughest ship I have ever seen. It had 4 shield, multiple missile launchers and was a "scout" ship so must have had high evasion because I couldn't land a shot.

The game seems to spike the difficulty quite commonly at the moment. Thus far I tend to be cruising along awesomely and then run into a single ship that completely tears me apart before I can even charge my FTL to get away. Most commonly this tends to be at the hand of federation ships that look like an upside down Y.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xik posted:

Poe's Law got me. :negative:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
This game is space-crack.

I agree with the sector 5 difficulty bump, I never got past that point.

Getting 2 shield is pure necessity it seems. I tried focusing on evade tanking, had a gold pilot and lots of engine upgrades. That frees up a lot of energy for weapons, in theory. However, those sector 5 ships just tear me a new one.

Repairs could be cheaper, goddamn.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xik posted:

The LARPing comment should have alerted me. C'est la vie!

The cloaking ship is fun, but difficult.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Beef posted:

This game is space-crack.

Totally. Just one more game.....

I managed to get to the last sector, but I was out of fuel and missiles so had no chance. My distress call was answered by an elite fighter who I was easy pickings for. Missing with my weapons is getting extremely annoying and really takes away a bit of the fun. I feel like it's too far out of my control for such a critical element of battle.

This time though I had 8 crew members. I could have really used the ability to sell them, another weapon or two would have been much more useful. The Kestrel is definitely easier then that drone ship, the ability to target specific system is critical which drones don't allow you to do.

e:

Beef posted:

Start playing on normal like a real space junky :colbert:

What do you mean? The difficulty? I'm playing on normal difficulty, it shows that in the screenshot.

Xik fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 15, 2012

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Start playing on normal like a real space junky :colbert:

edit: FTL-induced sleep depravation takes its toll. I thought 1800 was a bit low as scores go for sector 8.

Beef fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 15, 2012

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xik posted:

This time though I had 8 crew members. I could have really used the ability to sell them, another weapon or two would have been much more useful. The Kestrel is definitely easier then that drone ship, the ability to target specific system is critical which drones don't allow you to do.

I agree with the crew member selling, if only to give you an option to get rid of them without having to order them into the airlock and open the doors.

Torus seemed much easier to me though, but maybe that's just because I managed to loot a third EMP cannon and a beam drone early (1 pulse and 1 beam drone kills shieldless poo poo fast).

Also, Zoltans are the best thing ever - followed closely by Space Slugs!.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man I want to play this game so bad. They really need to open up pre-orders and let the rest of us assholes into the beta :(

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
A lot of people seem not to be getting the point of the game. It's not about saying "I want to customise my ship like this" it's about making the best of what you've got. Sure you can TRY to build your ship a certain way, but the whole "selling off crew" thing is not what this game is about. The rag-tag bunch of guys you get is what you have to work with. So deal with it.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
I had a great run and unlocked the Engi ship on my very first run, but I've had horrible luck with the Kestrel since then. Most times I barely manage to collect enough scrap to pay for fuel & repairs, let alone improvements. Man, this game is tough, and it's awesome.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
You also cannot sell drone parts or missiles. I guess I don't get the point of the game either.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ted_himself posted:

A lot of people seem not to be getting the point of the game. It's not about saying "I want to customise my ship like this" it's about making the best of what you've got. Sure you can TRY to build your ship a certain way, but the whole "selling off crew" thing is not what this game is about. The rag-tag bunch of guys you get is what you have to work with. So deal with it.

Your argument would only be valid if there were multiple ways to win, but there isn't. You need X amount of weapon penetration and decent shield/cloak to even have a chance at defeating the rebel flagship. What good is 8 crew members when you can only do 2 damage at a time, what good is having multiple high end weapons when you have no scrap to upgrade your power systems?

If there were different end game win conditions trying to "make do with what you got" would be an option. Try and play up your strengths, but that's not the case, at least at the moment.

I just got to the end game boss, this is him (spoilers): cloaked, decloaked. As you can see, you need serious offensive and defensive power to even stand a chance. High chance based roguelikes work because large combinations of builds work and it comes down to player resourcefulness/skill, FTL isn't like that at the moment due to that last boss.

e: Well, not just because of the last boss, but because of combat in general. Combat is everything in the game so you need to focus on that and deal with the ever increasing difficulty of the enemies that are thrown at you. And while the rebel fleet following you is pretty crucial for game tension it makes it so you need to find exactly the right upgrades in a certain amount of moves.

Xik fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 15, 2012

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Xik posted:

I just got to the end game boss, this is him (spoilers): cloaked, decloaked.

Doing this just in case: What's with those isolated weapon rooms? If he not able to repair weapons if you take them out or can he teleport workers to fix them? I'm not in the beta, obviously.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Kazmirski posted:

Doing this just in case: What's with those isolated weapon rooms? If he not able to repair weapons if you take them out or can he teleport workers to fix them? I'm not in the beta, obviously.

I'm honestly not sure. As you can see from that second screenshot I got my rear end handed to me so I didn't last long enough to damage them. I also hadn't upgraded my sensors (view inside enemy ships) and I've never bothered getting a teleporter so am not sure if you can transport inside your own ship. The teleporter upgrade is a decent chunk of scrap, plus the upgrades you will need and the power, on top of that while they are away it's less crew to repair your stuff and work your gear.

Perhaps the transporter is something to consider though. Transport my own people into those compartments to disable the weapons? But you would need to have a run where you happen to be good enough to spare the scrap for the transporter, have found lots of spare crew and be lucky to find the gear to last long enough to even get to the flagship.

Zavender
Jun 6, 2012
Finally nabbed the Stealth ship (oh God, I miss the shield). Only the Mantis and Fed left. Has anyone unlocked the Mantis Cruiser? I've ran into Kazaa twice, and blew him up both times. The first was really quick. The second time, I took my time taking out each system. Is it like the Stealth ship in that I need a Mantis crew member? Do I need a bunch of scrap to pay him off? Or, was I doing it right in that I just need to fight him until he surrenders?

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
So far my best score has been just over 3000 points in the Engi ship (the rebel flagship killed me).

The engi ship is actually quite powerful with the starting guns + drone. The secret is to target 1 ion gun on enemy weapons and the other on enemy shields. That way he spends most of the fight with no shields (dying to your drone) and unable to shoot back.

The most painful thing I have found in this ship is all those mantis that like to transport over.

For upgrades I try to focus on getting 2 shields and a couple of engine upgrades (along with the power to use them) quickly. Then it is a matter of upgrading weapons/shields/power based on the loot I find.

Another trick I found is to keep the same crew members at the same ship station unless they have to fix something. They will gain skill (which can be seen in the crew panel of your ship) that makes them better at their job.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Orv posted:

Would it be particularly hard to just hack in a save folder/system if they choose to remain petulant about it? I'm not sure if it generates a stats file during play or anything.

Yeah, it would be pretty hard.

You might be able to use a debugger or something to take a memory snapshot, but actually restoring the game from that snapshot is a lot harder than it sounds, and tech that can do this reliably is still a subject of ongoing research.

What would be a lot easier (albeit kind of aggravating to set up and possibly having legal implications if you're running windows in it) would be setting up a VM to play FTL in and just suspending the entire VM when you want to stop your game, but that is a lot of effort to go to.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Xik posted:

I'm honestly not sure. As you can see from that second screenshot I got my rear end handed to me so I didn't last long enough to damage them. I also hadn't upgraded my sensors (view inside enemy ships) and I've never bothered getting a teleporter so am not sure if you can transport inside your own ship. The teleporter upgrade is a decent chunk of scrap, plus the upgrades you will need and the power, on top of that while they are away it's less crew to repair your stuff and work your gear.

Perhaps the transporter is something to consider though. Transport my own people into those compartments to disable the weapons? But you would need to have a run where you happen to be good enough to spare the scrap for the transporter, have found lots of spare crew and be lucky to find the gear to last long enough to even get to the flagship.

Just had a run through where I got the transporter early on. 3 Mantis crew with combat mastered and a human with combat mastered by the time I reached the end, beam them in pairs into those little weapon rooms. There is an enemy in each room (to repair the weapon) but they only lasted about a second each against my invaders. Beam in, beam in the second group to another weapon as soon as the transporter recharges.

Result: Mothership gets absolutely ripped. Do note, killing a load of crew is nice, but you can't win the fight against the mothership just by killing the enemy crew.

And of course, then end up losing at the very last possible second because my ship exploded while all my crew was aboard the mothership wrecking it....

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Another trick I found is to keep the same crew members at the same ship station unless they have to fix something. They will gain skill (which can be seen in the crew panel of your ship) that makes them better at their job.

No poo poo? I hadn't realized this yet. Thanks!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Beef posted:

You also cannot sell drone parts or missiles. I guess I don't get the point of the game either.

You can actually - there's random trader encounters that let you turn batches of 5 into scrap.

As for the Mantis Ship Unlock my guess is you need to board it and kill all the crew. Take it intact.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Protip: You can check each crew member's skill by opening the 'crew' tab in the ship upgrade window.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Remmon posted:

Just had a run through where I got the transporter early on. 3 Mantis crew with combat mastered and a human with combat mastered by the time I reached the end, beam them in pairs into those little weapon rooms. There is an enemy in each room (to repair the weapon) but they only lasted about a second each against my invaders. Beam in, beam in the second group to another weapon as soon as the transporter recharges.

Result: Mothership gets absolutely ripped. Do note, killing a load of crew is nice, but you can't win the fight against the mothership just by killing the enemy crew.

And of course, then end up losing at the very last possible second because my ship exploded while all my crew was aboard the mothership wrecking it....

Very nice! I got to the end again with the drone ship, 3 combat drones but I ran out of those drone control consumables before I could hit a repair station. Ugh. I'll see if I can try the transporter run at some stage, luck permitting.

dvorak posted:

No poo poo? I hadn't realized this yet. Thanks!

In the ship menu under crew, if you hover over the crew members you can see what they are good at. The little crew icon above the power indicators goes yellow too if the crew operating it is a master at it.

e:fb

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Decrepus posted:

This game better have Klackons.

It has mantis men.

I will be honest if it keeps the current ammount of time to complete the game which is about a hour give or take some time then I do not see a need for a save function. If they open it up to to travel to "endless" sectors then a save function is needed.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I love this game. First jump during my first time playing, I jump too close to the drat sun. Then I get pounded on by a Pirate cruiser while my guys die trying to put out fires all over the place :laffo:. Definitely a rogue-like for me.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dodoman posted:

I love this game. First jump during my first time playing, I jump too close to the drat sun. Then I get pounded on by a Pirate cruiser while my guys die trying to put out fires all over the place :laffo:. Definitely a rogue-like for me.

Jumping into a sun is basically an instant "go into lockdown and try to survive until the FTL is powered" for me.

I put out fires but new ones pop up faster. I try to vent atmosphere and suddendly my O2 systems go.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Actually it might be a good idea to vent your ship before the fires pop up and just keep air in the rooms you have crew in.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

Kazmirski posted:

Some automated ships are like this as well... Not in that they have multiple weapons rooms, but in that the rooms are not connected, which sort of makes sense if they have no crew. I figured if that was the case I could just take out their weapons first and plink away safely after that, but they seemed to have some sort of slow system auto-repair as their weapons came back online again (briefly, hah).

And sun battles universally suck. Especially battles in them. While I'd say venting unnecessary rooms would be a good idea, the two necessary rooms for jumping (pilot cabin and engine bay) are at opposite ends of the ship.

Actually, I wonder if the life support systems actually generate oxygen radiating FROM the O2 room, or just universally throughout the ship. I'd suspect that latter but might be worth testing...

lizurcainnon
May 5, 2008
I hate fighting ships with breach missiles. I cannot wait until I can afford (or find) one of the launchers.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Tighran posted:

Actually, I wonder if the life support systems actually generate oxygen radiating FROM the O2 room, or just universally throughout the ship. I'd suspect that latter but might be worth testing...

O2 is spread universally in every sealed room. That means when you jump into a sun, pause, hit the "open all doors" button and manually seal the rooms with your guys in them. Instant fireproofing for the entire ship. I also do that when I'm fighting in nebulae, because with disabled sensors you won't even see a fire being started in a non-occupied room.

And for extra gently caress-you: On a ship with nano med dispensers, when boarded, collect all your dudes, send em into a single room and vent the rest of the ship. Watch boarders choose between death-by-vacuum or a fight against your collected crew at once.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
I just beat the flagship on Easy using the Kestrel with 7 crew.

3 Shield, 6 Engine, 1 O2, 1 Med, 3 Cloak, 6 Weapon.

Weapons: 2x Burst Laser II, 1 Small Bomb, 1 Heavy Laser

Ended up with over half hull + 29 fuel, 37 missiles, 18 drone parts.

My tactics basically consisted of using the small bomb to blow out his shields and then stripping him of whatever weapons he had. When he goes to use any specials I just cloak so they all missed.

EDIT - The Federation Cruiser you unlock is interesting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShankyMcStabber fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I was watching a dude stream FTL last night on easy and the increase in resources is crazy, it must be like 500% increase or something. He was consistently getting ~60-100 scrap + consumables per enemy defeated. My latest run I was squeezing max turns in every system to try and get maximum resources.

I've been able to get to the last sector a few more times but the missiles on the rebel fighters at the end still kick my rear end though and I'm constantly missing with my weapons. I think I need to invest in engine/cloak to try and negate incoming damage that way.

My latest run, at the last stand (Click for big):

Has anyone beat it on normal? Advice?

• Locked thread