Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The 06 Cards won just 83 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I think the Mets have an outside chance at 75 wins. They do have Ike Davis, Johan, and Wright back.

In theory. For like two weeks.

OK, they'll probably lose 100 games. :smith:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

PotatoJudge posted:

No MLB.tv app for the Xbox yet. I guess they're waiting for opening day. This says that it will be available when games start, but I'm not seeing it in the app marketplace.
They've been absolutely horrendous at getting apps out on time. It's infuriating. MLB.tv, Xfinity, and HBO Go were all supposed to come out back in January.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

ButtView posted:

He's pretty close to a former MVP on that OPS list so I don't see the problem.
An MVP who suffered a horrendous decline and was out of American baseball within five years, and then endured one of the saddest stories in all of baseball when he had to work as a janitor to support his family, suffered two heart attacks by his fiftieth birthday, wound up so broke that he had to sell his MVP Trophy, All-Star rings, and Gold Gloves, and was eventually living solely off of social security and disability pay until he died at the age of 55.

Poor Zoilo Versalles. :smith:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Matt Cain is going to play for the next 20 years and retire with 175 wins and a 3.50 ERA
This honestly would not surprise me, hyperbole aside. Lincecum may be a ton of fun to watch, but Cain is just a loving workhorse.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
It's silly to say so after three games, but Adam Dunn has looked pretty drat good thus far. Like, much better than he has in any three-game stretch of the regular season last year.

This gives me a glimmer of hope for the White Sox this year.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

He did blast a homer and then hit a double off a lefty and flew out to left off of another lefty.

Beckham also homered, Viciedo put together a few quality PAs and Morel has been killing it.

If 2/3 of Morel, Dunn, and Beckham hit well next year the team looks VERY different.
Absolutely. Reminder to the rest of SAS that Adam Troy Dunn had literally six hits all season against lefties last year.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The Giants, for fear he will turn into a pumpkin.

Or worse, Barry Zito.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Man. gently caress you, Kenny Williams.
His son hit a walkoff single today for the White Sox, though. Which automatically makes him the least reviled Williams.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Mr.Showtime posted:

I too would loathe a GM that brought my team their first world series in 90 years.
This argument is silly and you know it. General managers can change/remain terrible in spite of a ring.

See Brian Sabean or Ruben Amaro for reference.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Yes, but it's so good that we are. SAS has produced so much.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Holy shitsnacks, Broxton is 295 pounds?! That is not healthy. Not healthy at all.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Mr.Showtime posted:

ADAM DUNN
Based off of No Safe Word's list I'm pretty confident Dunn would've led Reynolds in TTO% before the disaster that was last season. Spring training is still going OK for him, but he loving mashed on opening day last year and we all know where he went after that.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
...wait, how did they handle this poo poo for the Orange Bowl, which was on the same spot? Because whatever they did for that would probably be better than this.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

davecrazy posted:

The residents would rent out their front lawns or whatever. Which was fine for 5-6 Saturdays spread over 3 months.

This is 81 days, including lots of weeknights. Not really a comparison.
Yeah, fair enough I guess.

They obviously should've built a labyrinthian underground parking structure beneath Little Havana.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
N: Noted major league heroes Dallas McPherson and Dickshot Dan Johnson remain in the battle for the final White Sox bench slot along with Eduardo Escobar and Jim Gallagher.

V: Go Dan go!

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Deathlove posted:

This has Josh Gibson being mortal. This offense will not stand.
Well, considering that record-keeping was really, really shoddy in the Negro League and they only account for 1570 PAs over his whole career when he had many, many more (though a lot were against inferior competition), the numbers on B-R ain't too bad.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Thom and the Heads posted:

Chipper Jones named his kid Shea after Shea Stadium. gently caress Chipper Jones.
This man is correct, Chipper is an rear end in a top hat.

Unfortunately, I respect assholes who can back their assholery up with their boomsticks

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Mr.Showtime posted:

Ryan Howard is feeling better. He has been seen taking grounders from a stool.
From said stool his range is greater than it has ever been!

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
N: Jamie Moyer threw 4 shutout innings today, struck out 4.

V: ALL HAIL THE ANCIENT MARINER

I don't really care that he hasn't pitched much and that his limited stats don't amount to any real meaning, I really want him to make the team.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Royal Rumble matches where the object was to violently toss your friends off the side of a trampoline were how we determined who got to use Roenick.
This owns and is the essence of childhood.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Nolan Ryan knows it's good because he had his eighth heart attack eating one earlier today!

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The gap in ballpark ages is tremendous now. It's Fenway, Wrigley, then skips 50 years to Dodger Stadium then another 10 to Kaufmann if I have my poo poo straight.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
FYI N/V book people: I'm in the middle of Dirk Hayhurst's second book and I would wager that it's better than Bullpen Gospels. It's a little more serious than the first but I highly recommend it.

I also aim to read RA Dickey's book when it comes out this week, schoolwork permitting.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

Why is he dressed up like Hideki Irabu?
I'd say that this is too soon, but it's SAS so instead...

Bravo! :golfclap:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah, it looks pretty good so far. Interface is pretty similar to the ESPN app but it's pretty silky-smooth and the video quality of the game recaps they have up is great.

Live games, of course, we don't know about yet because there haven't been any.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Gunjin posted:

I'm pretty sure that if the Os signed him to DH tomorrow he'd be the best hitter in the team. At 47.
And would probably remain so for at least three years. The mechanics don't change, and if he didn't have to play the field he could probably play 140 games.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

FairGame posted:

Is there really no "jump to inning" function on the 360 app?
I coulda sworn clicking the shoulder buttons jumps between half-innings.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
That's good news. Lovin' the new avatar/ct, angrygodofjebus. Can't wait for the Dunn resurgence this year.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

PGA : Senior PGA :: MLB : Senior MLB ?

How has this never happened? Like, with any sport?
Baseball and maaaaybe hockey are the only sports it's really suited for. Football old-timers have scrambled brains and destroyed limbs, most basketball dudes are far too reliant on their agility and brute strength to be interesting to watch at 50.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Lasorda is in his 80's and already has a job as figurehead/mascot in the Dodgers organization. I think he's happy where he is and wouldn't really want an MLB position.
Going back to the Pavano blackmail, Lasorda will probably die the day an MLB player officially comes out. I used to have a lot more respect for him until I found out how he dealt with his poor soon. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The enshrinement of this glorious thread into its rightful place in history shall stand second in my heart only to the eventual day when Barrold Lamar Bonds enters the pearly gates of Cooperstown.