Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
He's also 33, so that might just be normal aging

Also, Prince Fielder hit a 600-foot dinger in batting practice today which is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Wait, Adam Dunn went 6-for-94 against lefties last year? That's horrifying.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Mahoning posted:

I couldn't imagine a 600 ft home run.

I saw a 502 ft HR by Juan Francisco live late last year. That was a thing of beauty. But 600 ft would be incredible. But it probably rolled a good 50-80 ft if not more.

Yeah, that's just it, they found the ball 611 feet from home plate. For all we know, it went like 470 in the air, bounced off concrete another 50 feet, and rolled another 90.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I think the legend goes that he was roommates with a Royals scout for a while, too

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Better, yeah, but not good, at least yet. Lots of young dudes coming up looking to wreck the league, at least.

The parks owns and you should go even if you don't care about the team, it's loving beautiful

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Open Mariners Gameday to a Peguero dinger gently caress YEAH BASEBALL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

explosivo posted:

Oh, I mean I love Dinger machine. Dinger machine is great.

All hail Dinger machine.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the Big Pink Flamingoes.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I love this exciting new Mariners offense that only scores runs off of dingers

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Senf posted:

gently caress it, send the the Dinger Machine to the Mariners.

Nice avatar

the YOSPOS cat thread is the best thread on the forums and I will fight all who say otherwise

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
What A Friend We Have In Jesus

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
So on a scale of 1 to '62 Mets, how bad are the A's going to be this year?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And yeah, Montero had "his opportunity to catch" and in it he dropped a pop fly and took more balls to the face than [INSERT SOPHOMORIC JOKE HERE].

Time to CIF/DH, Jesus.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Senf posted:

Goin' with 2006 Cards

I'm cool with that

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I'll make the Spring Training GDT, we're cluttering the hell out of the N/V thread

e: i'm assuming we're just going with the "massive monthly GDT" plan

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
HOLY poo poo A FREE Marlins CELL PHONE POUCH

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
If you hit one off the dolphin on the fly it's worth seven runs and the player who hits it gets to fail one PED test without penalty

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And if you hit that sun-looking thing, it triggers "MULTI-RUN MODE" where everybody from the offensive team, including the coaches and batboys, pours out the dugout toward home plate and runs the bases and if the defensive team pushes you to the ground, you're out and everybody that runs all four bases without getting knocked down counts as a run

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

jeffersonlives posted:

And this right here is why the Mariners are lunatics/idiots for continuing the charade.

Yeah, a couple more trainwrecks like today and I'm 100% with you on it

But with the Mariners' luck, he'll catch until March 16th, when he tears his ACL diving for a foul pop and is out for the year and never fully recovers from it

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Ten million years from now, extraterrestrial beings will land on the decaying husk that was Earth, and the first thing they find will be the dinger machine

and their historybooks will note how we were a primitive, carbon-based lifeform that worshipped a pastel machine with flamingoes and dolphins on it

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
lol

quote:

"[The St. Louis pitchers] understand his value more than sabermetricians could ever start to pick it apart, and what other people inside the game even understand," said Cards manager Mike Matheny. "There's so many intangibles. You can't put numbers to the things that this guy does in helping this team win. And I think that's [exemplified by] two world championships since he's taken over behind the plate."

Oh good, Matheny's even worse than La Russa

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

gyroball posted:

Stuff like that doesn't even put him close to La Russa's worst sins.

Well obviously, but it clearly counts as "not really that good of a start" when I'm pretty sure John Kruk used the same logic towards the contract on Baseball Tonight

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
By hitting twelve dingers per game, duh

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Any negatives regarding Corey Hart are balanced out by the poor man having to hear "I wear my sunglasses at night" lines despite the fact they stopped being funny to him at 10

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Groucho Marxist posted:

That's his walk up music so I guess he likes it

Wait, really?

OK, gently caress all y'all Corey Hart rules

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
For god's sake Colby, at the bare goddamn minimum get a haircut and shave and wash your goddamn face before the photoshoot. Lose the baseball uniform and we could post that photo in goons.jpeg and no one would be the wiser

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And of all the dudes on the '86 World Champion Mets, Lenny Dykstra's the one who serves the most jail time

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, right after I posted it, I realized that Strawberry and I think Gooden served really short sentences, so I updated to say the most jail time

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, Strawberry served 40 days in jail and a shitload of probations, and Gooden served seven months with 5 years of probation

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Mr.Showtime posted:

Hello Tony!

I am both nowhere near right wing enough and have too few cats to be Tony La Russa

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

FairGame posted:

Not that I'm scoobi-ing you, but aren't you the one who lives on a farm and has like 17 cats (only like 3 of which are indoors, because hey; it's a farm) or something?

And that's still fewer than TLR?

2 inside and 2 in a nice room in my barn.

now stop helldumping me

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Of course, we also get every cat in a three-mile radius coming up to the front door and meowing for food, so

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
That was a gift from the YOSPOS cat thread, don't be hatin'

Seriously, I go there after baseball games to relieve my blood pressure. Works amazingly well

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
My favorite part was the BP pitcher warming up by throwing the ball at the camera

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Scrotos posted:

What if they are division foes? I mean I will be happy for the Pirates to finish over .500, but the minute they start contending for the division they can go fall apart again.

Hell, I've got two titles, I'd be fine with everyone else in the division winning one.

Even the Cubs.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Harlock posted:

I want one person from every team to imitate Kurkjian before Spring Training is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IExTQXBOqsE

a) He sounds much more like Tim than the other guy
b) They're going to force the poor man into retirement

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

stuart scott irl posted:

An esteemed colleague of mine wrote this and I thought it might be a cool discussion piece in a spring training N/V thread:

Constructing the Unbeatable Team, Vol. 2

Build your optimal team for the next 10 years

Without looking at his:

C: Brian McCann
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Dustin Ackley
SS: Troy Tulowitzki
3B: Evan Longoria
LF: Bryce Harper
CF: Justin Upton
RF: Matt Kemp
DH: Jesus Montero

Bench: Matt Wieters
Bench: Ryan Braun
Bench: Ryan Zimmerman
Bench: Elvis Andrus

SP1: Tim Lincecum
SP2: Felix Hernandez
SP3: Adam Wainwright
SP4: Josh Johnson
SP5: Yovani Gallardo
SP6: Stephen Strasburg

Bullpen: Neftali Feliz
Bullpen: Yu Darvish
Bullpen: Zach Greinke
Bullpen: Matt Cain
Bullpen: Matt Moore

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Man, I'm way more conservative than everyone else, especially on the SP side. I just don't trust minor-league SP prospects to not blow their arms out

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

xie posted:

lol if your team doesnt have matt moore

:smug:

I'm going the Neftali Feliz route with him closing for the first two years and starting after that

e: vvvvv Yeah, there's a dearth of good young secondbasemen, who's left after Dustin Ackley, Robbie Cano, and Pedroia?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

jeffersonlives posted:

Despite the age difference I think Pedroia and Cano are considerably more likely to have more years at 2B left than Ackley.

Between Montero and Ackley, is there absolutely anybody on the Mariners you're not pessimistic about? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And Felix Hernandez doesn't count, he's a golden god in every shape of the word