Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ManifunkDestiny posted:

JP Arencibia owns. Seriously, watch this. I love Kurkjian's reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s983TpLdTdU

Haha, it's not great but it's not bad either. Surprised Kurkjian didn't take it more in stride to be quite honest. Can't be the first time in his life that he's realized he's got a goofy voice that gets him made fun of.

e: also :neckbeard: yay for the poll option of "my team sucks, this is going to rule"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Felix has lost the opening day start for the M's.

You're unlikely to guess who will take the mound instead.

What :confused:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I hate to admit it, but I have no idea who that is.

Fat Mike (Scioscia)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

check the headline/title

Yeah why the gently caress do they think he's on the Mariners

Mr. Fix It posted:

To be fair, lovely baseball teams do tend to blend together after a while.

Oh right

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Awww, Flamingos are a go should have been for next month's thread title :(

The thread worked so hard in the offseason and was in the best shape of it's life but now nobody knows :(

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I swear I see that and for a fleeting moment each time I think "UGH DON'T POST OBP/SLG/OPS SLASH LINES" before I realize it is The Bonds 2004 Line

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

leokitty posted:

The Astros are much worse than any other team in MLB anyway

And several in the minors :smith:

I mean, really, the Astros are more of a huge fuckoff question mark with a low ceiling and very low floor.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

If you're going to post an onion article you could at least link it when it has a good picture like:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Of course - it's called Mooneyball.

:golfclap:

And that JoePos article is incredibly long (as expected) but good

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Proposition Joe posted:

It should be on rails and do laps around the stadium.

It should visit each section and sign autographs

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

leokitty posted:

Phil Hughes was throwing 87 in his the last start of Spring Training last year that is a major concern.

Carlos Guillen retired.
Came to post the Guillen stuff, saw it buried as a footnote on a post and not commented on. Kinda fitting I suppose.

Here's an article though

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I commented on it you jerk.

Oh there was like a page lag and I searched for "Guillen" but nobody quoted it!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Scoobi posted:

The guns are aimed at the ball out of hand, right?

Pretty much this. And I think they tweak it to expect something traveling at a certain velocity to minimize any noise.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

stimpy posted:

I still can't believe they actually went through with the dinger machine. That thing is so godawful yet amazing.

I can't believe it wasn't done back in 1999

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Well my semi-arbitrary date was just "the season after 1998, aka McGwire broke baseball with dingers"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

nnnAdam posted:

What is it with Rangers fans falling out of their seats to get a ball?

Can you blame this guy? :pervert:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Can someone loop it so infinite Ibanez's are falling to cut off the ball?

For some reason I thought reversing and looping would be funny

And this turned out kind of okay actually

e: oh god if you watch them both for a while the two Ibanezes synchronize eventually

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

News: Roy O not as picky now apparently

Views: I have no idea where he's likely to end up I just know it's not the Astros

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gonz posted:

In today's spring training game vs. the Rays, Miguel Cabrera stole third base.

:stare:

I don't understand did he take the base with him at the end of an inning after standing around it while staring into his glove?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Why don't we just let people post if they don't want their team to sign Roy Oswalt, I'm sure it will be a shorter list.

As weird as it is to say it, I kinda wouldn't want them to re-sign Roy. Rebuild Mode(tm) doesn't make sense that way.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

peepoogenderparts posted:

Wha!? Really!?

I seriously had no idea. I'm humbled by my dumbness. :(

Same reason the Football Outsiders guys named the football version KUBIAK. They picked a guy who was kind of "just a guy, nothing special" throughout his career.

Then Gary Kubiak went and became a head coach in the NFL a few years after that :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

So whenever someone edits the dinger machine GIF in, make sure to put a B/W filter over it for authenticity.

Dinger Machine was always in color even when the rest of the world was still in black and white

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

tadashi posted:

E: poo poo, that article I posted is like a month old. I thought it was new as someone on Twitter just referenced it today.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/building-through-the-draft-worst-of-the-worst/

It was still interesting anyway <:mad:>

Funny how the Astros get buoyed from worst to just inside the bottom 5 simply on Hunter Pence alone :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

tadashi posted:

It's not just the mouth but his giant nose that strikes me. He looks like a catcher.

He played catcher in HS, so there's that

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Surely there is a Nats fan who needs an avatar.

paging otf

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gonz posted:

Mark Reynolds is the walking, talking living embodiment of the three true outcomes.

I need to redo my stats database and see how he compares to the likes of Dave Kingman and Rob Deer. I think even in 2008 or so he was up there.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Gonz posted:

You don't need to remind me about Mr. Deer. I watched him play many a time in Tiger Stadium. His dingers were rad as poo poo.

I probably should have prefaced the Reynolds statement with "active" living embodiment, though.

This isn't exhaustive, just picked some names I remembered to be very high.

Active:
code:
Name		PA	BB	K	HR	TTO%
Cust		2581	444	819	105	0.530
Branyan		3398	403	1118	194	0.505
Reynolds	2905	335	963	158	0.501
Dunn		6561	1065	1809	365	0.494
Howard		4409	540	1207	286	0.461
Pena		4902	683	1292	258	0.455

Others:
code:
Name		PA	BB	K	HR	TTO%
Kingman		7429	608	1816	442	0.386
Deer		4513	575	1409	230	0.491
Kingman not as bad as I thought.

e: hah I was adding Dunn as you posted vvvv

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mr.Showtime posted:

Goldmine this entire thread loving hell

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

League TTO% by year

Do a linear fit on this bitch and let me know when no balls will be put in play anymore and fielding will become obsolete.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

And get some r-squared values up in this piece too

(actually I hope you did the linear fit without the WW1 and prior years, if not, do that too)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jubs posted:

Does Cabrera come back with a facemask?

img-pujolsmask

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The Prisoner posted:

N: Noted major league heroes Dallas McPherson and Dickshot Dan Johnson remain in the battle for the final White Sox bench slot along with Eduardo Escobar and Jim Gallagher.

V: Go Dan go!

Dallas McPherson always turned into Russell Branyan/Carlos Pena in my BBM sims for some reason and would end up breaking the home run record. That's my story on how I even remember Dallas McPherson.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

URL Weaver posted:

suuuper awkward

Bahahaha

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

uh...he's the 434th best baseballer in the US, possibly the world. Do you know how hard it is to be that good at baseballing?

Approximately .26 harder than being Livan Hernandez

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SharkTattoos posted:

I just imagined Kevin Millar doing in-depth oWAR-dWAR breakdown of NLC shortstops.
It wasn't pleasant.

Starlin Castro
Zack Cozart
Jed Lowrie
Rafael Furcal
Clint Barmes
Alex Gonzalez

hooo boy

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

N: Larry Wayne "Chipper" Jones officially to retire at end of season

V: Will anyone notice until it's like 40 games in and he hasn't played yet? Or will everyone assume that he's injured the first 40 games instead of somewhere in the middle or at the end?

e: oh dammit, already posted but I have a link so :shobon:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Capt Murphy posted:

Brett Wallace, Jordan Schafer or JB Shuck, and Brian Bogusevic may all be in the opening day lineup.

and Jose Altuve with his 5 BB in ~250 PA last season for a cool .297 OBP

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

^^^ to be fair, the quote is about hitting so pure WAR wouldn't be fair since it accounts for defense/baserunning as well ^^^

e: though that actually puts ARod like 30 WAR ahead since Pujols gets a shitload of WAR from fielding

tadashi posted:

Views: That cover quote is totally wrong. Albert is in blue, guess who's in red? I'll give you one guess. One guess.

This is .OBP but .wOBA is pretty close to this as well.

Pretty sure that quote is about actual humans and not Golden Gods of Baseball, jeez

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

leokitty posted:

What stats is that Pujols graphic looking at? I see he has more RBI than Lou Gehrig, wooboy.

"The eye test"

"Rings"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Hell, you know who had a virtually identical wOBA as Pujols at ages 30 and 31? Lance Berkman. Jose Bautista has been better each of the past two years, and he's only a year younger than Albert (also his wOBA and HR graphs are hilarious, go look).

It makes me really happy that Lance may be able to have a few more really solid years and actually toy with the idea of becoming a Hall of Famer.