Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The 2005 Yankees outfield will never be topped by your bad defense teams, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Shadow gamer posted:

Does anyone know how long an fractured orbital takes to heal? I want to see a AJ start before I head back home for the summer.

Probably something like a month to fully heal and then I'd guess a month for rehab. That's a longer than rehab normally is but remember he's just missed out on ST so he'll be playing catchup.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Bundy isn't the best prep righty ever or anything, but he might be the most advanced. He could hit the majors really fast if things break properly.

He will tear up MiLB, pitch pretty okay for the Orioles and then become their next sacrifice to the elder gods :unsmigghh:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

AlleyViper posted:

What on earth is a micro discectomy anyway?

Decompression surgery on discs. Sounds like he's got (had?) a herniated disc.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Moe_Rahn posted:

The '73 Mets and '06 Cardinals both won only 83 games.

The Mets didn't win the World Series in 73 !

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Astros are much worse than any other team in MLB anyway

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Mets fans like the apple probably because of Stockholm Syndrome or brain damage, not sure which.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Yankee Stadium needs a dinger machine. I just don't know what it would be though.

It could not be louder or more obnoxious than the music they play too loudly with the dumb poo poo on the armitron so it'd be a waste

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

I don't like the Yankees but I think sitting in their bleachers would be the most entertaining thing ever.

Those aren't the bleachers they're the insanely overpriced when not in a ticket plan field level seats

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

monkeyspank posted:

I sat with the bleacher creatures during the Yankees-Red Sox 15 inning game a couple of years ago. It was fun for a while then it just got annoying. They all know each other so it's one big dysfunctional and homophobic family reunion that you are crashing. The roll call was cool though.

Bald Vinny quit basically because the Yankees wouldn't subsidize his terrible t-shirt business, no idea how that will affect their obnoxiousness going forward.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

tadashi posted:

N: Angel Villalona's nameplate has been removed from his locker.

https://twitter.com/!/CSNBaggs/status/176338538265182209

V: That can't be a good sign.

Minor league camps start tomorrow

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Hamilton is a good CF but he should play in a corner to prolong his baseball life.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

xie posted:

Pineda's velocity was trash yesterday, I've diagnosed him with Phil Hughes disease. He also needs to develop a change.

He threw 5 changeups yesterday so I don't know why people are acting like he isn't.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

xie posted:

I'm far more worried about the velocity, myself. That's a pretty big drop.

I will care if it persists but worrying about a low velocity right now is just as absurd as the people who believe that Cashner was throwing 103.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

I think I made this exact post that year that Phil's velocity was down at the start of Spring Training. I hate pitchers.

Phil Hughes was throwing 87 in his the last start of Spring Training last year that is a major concern.

Carlos Guillen retired.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Well Hultzen ended up getting more money than Cole anyway...

This was the most amazing part of it all, honestly.

And the Pirates did a really god job with their Cole negotiations, I was really amazed that he didn't get an MLB deal.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Pedro Beato's having an MRI done on his throwing shoulder

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

"domum currit aeternum" (Home runs forever)

That is some terrible Latin

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

unsanitary posted:

Now that's awesome.

It's actually pretty terrible for the fish

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Mr.Showtime posted:

Why the gently caress does this exist.

Sponsors want video content :haw:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

yeah, I was gonna say, shouldn't PETA be all over this by now?

They half-assed it (probably because it wasn't a thing that would get them a lot of publicity) and the other animal rights/welfare groups that do that sort of work are mostly concerned with mammals.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Red Sox will sign him, I bet

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

I hope Erasure's "Ooh L'amour" starts blaring when this thing goes off.

If it's going to be an Erasure song it should be this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TPDPdxqzQ

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Wasn't there someone in SAS who has a friend / cousin who would have sex with Jeff Karstens a lot? I wanna say it was Leokitty or I CHALLENGE THEE

I would disown any friend or cousin I had that would commit a sin like that

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

So are the Royals trying to be the Rays but with crappy players

I think Moore is taking Wall St bets on players, if that makes sense.

Alcides Escobar has a swing that scouts really like and as you can see from his walk and k rates he makes a fuckton of contact. This is a bet that he will start making better contact because of the swing.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Alcides Escobar is a really awesome fielding shortstop. I think that some guys in MiLB like Jose Iglesias are better but...yeah.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Posey did not have the Harper hype. Honestly neither did Strasburg.

Harper is a tremendous prospect but the reason for the extreme level of hype is Tom Verducci writing an SI cover article about him when he was 16ish that basically presented him like the best prospect ever.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

peepoogenderparts posted:

I have to disagree with you about Strasburg. He was heavily hyped. I remember ESPN doing highlights of his minor league games. Of course, ESPN are whores, but still.

That's not the same as writing a cover story in SI implying a 16 year old was/is a better prospect than Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Bonds, etc.

By the time Strasburg hit MiLB it was very clear that he was something extremely special.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

DannoMack posted:

Sid Crosby was hyped as the next Gretzky since he was a young teenager, but I cant think of anyone younger than that outside of soccer players.

Alex Rodriguez was pretty much identified as a guy who was going to be a great ball player when he was 13ish. He was a big deal but hype around looking for the next so-and-so wasn't so prevalent then.

e: I think Chipper was also identified as a mega-amazing prospect going into the draft but people were all about Todd Van Poppel at the time

e2: Thinking about it, most of the HUGE HYPE going into the draft guys I can think of are pitchers

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

tadashi posted:

I don't remember Strasburg getting the "generational" label until much later, either. With Harper, it's been that way for a while.

I don't want to say it came out of nowhere because you have to have talent to play for SDSU but he didn't really develop his ~killer stuff~ until Sophomore year.

I think it's harder to argue with pitcher hype because when you see a curveball like the one Strasburg has with the command he's got what can you say? Guys like Gerrit Cole are a bit murkier because they don't have the same handle on their stuff.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN the Magazine kind of does this. They were the ones who called LeBron James "The One" on a magazine cover at the start of his junior year in high school.

Just like the dumb NEXT stuff I think this is because they've found that paying attention to superstars gives them more money during SportsCenter/etc so creating superstars in advance like that is in their best interest.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Yaaaay Andy is back maybe :toot: :slick:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

“We’re asking the residents to make a sacrifice,” MPA Director Art Noriega explained before the meeting. “We can’t leave them parking on some of those streets. The logjam we’ll have on these streets, people won’t be able to get to the games.”

Holy poo poo, gently caress you. Why do the residents have to make sacrifices for a park that was imposed on them?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Prisoner posted:

...wait, how did they handle this poo poo for the Orange Bowl, which was on the same spot? Because whatever they did for that would probably be better than this.

Probably something similar but not for 81 games a year.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Once the season starts you can go to a team's page and find the "Probable Pitchers" area, it's under schedule I believe.

e: not probably pitches, sorry i've got andy on the brain

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Adam Warren is not a starter in MLB unless his slider magically improves. He will be a good reliever because he has a good fastball and great fastball command but that won't cut it going through an order three times.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

If Washington wasn't having a dumb dispute with their A+ team about field conditions we probably wouldn't be scrutinizing this, to be honest.

For what it's worth scouty types think he needs some more MiLB time because he hasn't quite adjusted to breaking pitches yet. I think that's a feature of the Nationals skipping A+ since that's where batters start to encounter pitchers with good secondary offerings consistently.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

Since American teams have to pay out the rear end to foreign clubs just for the chance to negotiate with one of their players, does it work the same way if an American player wants to go to Japan?

If a player is under contract or team control the Japanese team will purchase their rights.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

euphronius posted:

What Cabrera???

Every Cabrera except Daniel :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

From Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

quote:

Just announced: @FoxSports and @MLBNetwork will team for expanded 30-minute pre-game show before @MLBonFox Saturday game of week. MORE #MLB

Analysts will include Harold Reynolds, Mitch Williams, Eric Byrnes and Kevin Millar. #MLB

:stonk: That is going to be really terrible