Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So the Rangers might be using Michael Young at shortstop this year to give Andrus a rest once in a while. I will watch every game where Michael Young is penciled in as a starter in that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Heyman reported yesterday that it was a done deal for 5/75. I wonder what happened since then.
Rosenthal sez:

quote:

THURSDAY: The deal is for five years and $75MM with no money deferred, Rosenthal tweets. It will be announced this afternoon.

Also:

quote:

“I’d love to be here, but I’ll test the market,” Napoli said. “Every player plays to get to free agency. But it’s not something I’m going to worry about. That’s why I have my agent.”

After that ridiculous deal in STL, why wouldn't Napoli check the market.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

armoredgorilla posted:

Reporting in on the Orioles spring training to advise that the team is impressed with draft pick Dylan Bundy because he (paraphrasing) "left Chris Davis and Robert Andino shaking their heads after their at-bats", :laffo:
Duquette's next signing: A local kid who throws 80 at a carnival speed gun.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Paulocaust posted:

So, I used to be a big baseball fan growing up, played it, loved the Jays, bought all the video games, etc.. But after years of the Jays not making the playoff due the stupid as gently caress playoff structure (NY wins division, BOS wins wildcard, repeat ad nauseum) I boycotted it. My brother in-law and a couple buddies have been pushing me to get back into it since there's a new playoff structure (someone give me a quick synopsis of how this works? Just a couple extra wild cards?) and apparently the Jays have a really good team. Why (if at all) should I be excited for the Jays this year and who should I be looking out for? Is there actually a chance they make the playoffs? Thanks in advance.
The new playoff structure will work pretty similarly to the old system. Except the team that used to be automatically in the playoffs as the wild card needs to play a game against the 5th best team.

Example:
ALE: NYY (2)
ALC: DET (1)
ALW: ANA (3)
WC: BOS (4)
WC2: TOR (5)

In this example team 5 would have to play team 4. The winner of this game would play team 1 in the playoffs. The new system may be more exciting for teams that have difficulty winning a division, or even being second place in their division. Finishing 5th is no longer a death sentence.

The Jays are a team on the rise, but they're probably another year or two out before the full squad is probably capable of challenging the ALE crown, but they could slide in as a wild card. For a team with so much money in FA, they surprisingly didn't spend a lot.

Notable players: Jose Bautista (home run God), Brett Lawrie (new kid on the block, has a good amount of upside), and Ricky Romero (a good young pitcher).

A more complete write up: here.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Molina news.

quote:

Molina's new deal starts for 2013. Contract for 2012 stays in place at $7 million. New deal guaranteed thru 2017, [mutual] $15m option for 2018.
So let me make sure I understand this right...

2012: 7m
2013: 15m (1)
2014: 15m (2)
2015: 15m (3)
2016: 15m (4)
2017: 15m (5)
2018: 15m mutual option.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Oh, and there's a no trade clause.

Preeminent catcher of this generation~

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Don't do it Rube

quote:

While Cole Hamels garners most of the attention as the Phillies' top free agent after the season, the team is also faced with the impending free agency of center fielder Shane Victorino. Victorino told MLB.com's Todd Zolecki that he's looking for a five-year contract, but is willing to take a reasonable hometown discount to remain in Philadelphia.

Unless that discount is a 5 year, 15m contract, walk far away.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I did it. After reading the comments on an MLB.com post, I found one I actually agree with. I might be losing my mind.

quote:

Get rid of the final 5 Spring Training games (which the players don't like anyway). Start the regular season on or about March 26. Play the first fifteen games (up until about April 12) ALL in warm-weather/domed stadiums. Play the next 15 games (up until April 30) all in cold-weather stadiums (this makes it "even" before schools let out, which I believe was a bone of contention among MLB teams).

End the reg season on Sep 26 (you can do this, since you started the reg season early). Have a 3-game playoff (first game at "2nd place" wild-card team, one travel day, games 2 and 3 on consecutive nights at "1st place" wild-card team; this gives a tremendous incentive to get the higher wild-card slot). That brings you to Oct 1st; start ALDS/ALCS/WS according to same schedule as now.

Union happy (most teams play FEWER games, if you count the 5 fewer spring training games), owners happy (TV/seating revenue from 4 to 6 additional playoff games MORE THAN offsets revenue lost from eliminating 5 spring training games; fewer snowed-out games), fans happy (no more "snow in your face" early-April games in Cleveland and Detroit; 3-game playoff instead of one-game). Baseball season (including spring training and playoffs) begins and ends at the same time as it does now.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

AlleyViper posted:

Cleveland makes a dinger machine of Chief Wahoos doing a rain dance around a campfire. Sell it to the public as "totally paying homage to Native American culture. Like, for real."
Hire Randy Quaid as his Major League II character to taunt other players in the outfield until he dies.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are we just going to have one giant Spring Training GDT thread? I don't think they need daily ones.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Through my complicated algorithm*, I think they're a 70 win team at best.

*bullshit

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Jim Pohlad vows to bring the glory of dingers to Target Field.

The saddest dinger machine is a lineup with Ben Revere.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rand alPaul posted:

I can't believe two recently traded Yankees have been injured by foul balls. :psyduck:
Yankee mystique projects an invisible 5 foot barrier around your face.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A-Rod, professional speech giver and grown up.

quote:

On the morning of the first game they’d play since Game 5, the night the New York Yankees all went home for the winter, Alex Rodriguez stood before them and, according to witnesses, gave the sort of speech that wouldn’t have been possible five years ago.

Somebody else would have told the Yankees it was time to commit in body and soul to the next eight months.

Somebody with credibility would have reminded them who they are. Somebody with clubhouse authority would have challenged them. Somebody who’d endured the terrible stuff, and drank the sweet stuff, and tested out as an honest-to-goodness Yankee. That guy.

But on Friday morning, hours before they’d open their spring schedule against the University of South Florida and start all over again, sources said Rodriguez commanded the room for more than 10 minutes like he never had before.

“It was great,” said one witness. “I’d never seen that out of him before. I didn’t know he had it in him.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjrN.MKj5UDABMfizB4UjK0RvLYF?slug=ti-brown_alex_rodriguez_yankees_speech_030212

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Padres signed an honest to God contract.

quote:

The Padres and Cameron Maybin have agreed to a five-year contract extension with an option for a sixth year, reports Scott Miller of CBSSports.com. Dan Hayes of The North County Times first reported that an extension was imminent earlier this morning. The Brian Goldberg client will get $25MM guaranteed. The option is worth $7-8MM. The team has announced the deal.

5m for 5 years, then that option.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yup.

quote:

Although the game was at Milwaukee’s Maryvale Baseball Park, about half the crowd of 6,619 cheered for the Giants and they countered the Brewers’ fans standing ovation with catcalls when Braun went to the plate in the first inning.

They serenaded the Brewers slugger with chants of “Ur-ine Sam-ple!” before Braun struck out swinging against Madison Bumgarner. His second time up, Braun was greeted with chants of “Cheater!” before looking at strike three.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Ambiorix Cup.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

deetee posted:

Dude needs a shave, a haircut and a face-wash... drat.
Dude still ugly under all that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I want one person from every team to imitate Kurkjian before Spring Training is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IExTQXBOqsE

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What do people think of Matt Kemp going forward? Obviously last year was an amazing year, but what does he realistically project to look like going forward? He's kind of the best 'centerfielder' by default since it's such a shallow position in talent, despite his defensive misgivings. Would he be thought of as highly if he were a corner outfielder? Is he more of his 2009 self, his 2010 self, somewhere in the middle?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not even a juiced gun can help RJ Swindle's junkball hit 60.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

euphronius posted:

It actually looks like Sabathia is the only current pitcher with a legit shot at 300 wins. Maybe Verlander. Verlander is entering his age 29 season with 107 wins.
I would say don't discredit Mark Buehrle. I feel like he could hang around just as long as Jamie Moyer if he wanted to.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

quote:

"I would be shocked if 10 years from now there's not a DH in both leagues," said one influential baseball source.

I'm pretty sure they just cited me as an influential baseball source because that is what I said circa new CBA.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He was never really even 'bad' except for last year.

He's seriously been one of the best active pitchers in baseball his entire career.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope Chase migrates to the AL and becomes an Edgaresque DH.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hark, a rumor beckons.

quote:

Bill Ladson of MLB.com hears from one person who believes the Nationals will trade John Lannan before Opening Day. The Nationals might seek prospects for Lannan, a Spring Training trade candidate.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Someone pitch a gritty and realistic documentary about the downfall of the Orioles aided by the rampant corruption of the front office.

Call it The Wire.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you guys don't follow Baseball video games, there's two really neat things to come out of MLB12:

The intro video shows just how crazy the end of last season was. I know we all remember it, but it seems totally surreal to watch it like the way it's presented.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6hAYQh0Ws (watch the first 3 minutes of this)

And can never get enough Cubs trolling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGAfA15U1I

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

DOOP posted:

I completely forgot the Phillies signed Jimmers. I was thinking more Ben Francisco than Jim Jam.
Ben Francisco is not a Phillie anymore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

With a name like Lonnie Chisenhall, he has to be the savior of Cleveland Baseball.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Since we talked about 300 wins recently, here's a fluff piece:

quote:

I'm here to tell you that we will see another 300-game winner, and that Roy Halladay will be the next to reach the milestone.

All this makes him a great bet to continue dominating as he pitches into his late 30s. Here are some various average win totals and how close they bring Halladay to 300 wins:

Six years, 18 wins per season: 108 wins, 296 total (through age 40)
Six years, 16 wins per season: 96 wins, 284 total
Seven years, 17 wins per season: 119 wins, 307 total (through age 41)
Seven years, 16 wins per season: 112 wins, 300 total
Eight years, 15 wins per season: 120 wins, 308 total (through age 42)
Eight years, 14 wins per season: 112 wins, 300 total
Nine years, 14 wins per season: 126 wins, 314 total (through age 43)
Nine years, 13 wins per season: 117 wins (305 total)

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/21324/why-roy-halladay-win-300-career-games

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

David Wright, who previously had a no big deal day to day stiffness in his side, is being flown to New York for reevaluation because it's getting worse and he's unable to deal with the pain.

Mets
Terminal apathy. He's not going to make it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Move Chipper to 1st, have Freeman play corner outfield.

2012: The year of poor defense.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Re: Twins

quote:

@AaronGleeman Assumed the term "LOOGY" for lefty relievers was pretty common at this point, but @PMac21 says Gardenhire had no clue what it meant.

:bunt:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

poser posted:

Is there a MLB.TV sharing thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465676

It's been going on for a while now though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

stuart scott irl posted:

I never realized how much of his loving head got blown off 0____0
That's what I was shocked to see the most.

I guess Popcorn guy is on the grassy knoll watching the whole thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FairGame posted:

Yikes.

Seriouspost: Is there anything in the Mets organization to be positive about? Anything at all?
Ike Davis is pretty cool.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bring back Jason Kendall

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope this causes at least one person to freak out.

quote:

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, Roy Halladay topped out at 89 mph in his Wednesday start.

Halladay, who averaged 92 mph with his fastball in 2011, surrendered five runs in just 2 2/3 innings Wednesday afternoon to a light-hitting Twins lineup. He was working on a few different arm slots, so there's no real reason for concern quite yet. But another disastrous spring outing would bring about some serious red flags. The 34-year-old right-hander allowed just one run across 21 2/3 innings last year in the Grapefruit League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm glad Roy Oswalt finally found a job.