Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
The 'advent' of kettle souring and that method becoming a way to put your foot in the door as a 'Sour Brewery' is helping or hurting, depending on how you feel about sour beers. Most small breweries can't dedicate the time it takes to get a real sour program off the ground, and kettle sours are a good way to bridge the gap. About 50% of the beers I brew at kettle sours now and they actually take less hands-on time than my normal beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

The possibilities are endless.

see also: flavor syrups

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

Alright it's ~$15 ride out there, if it's that good I'll go for it. Any difference between the Chinatown/Highland Park locations?

Chinatown is their newest location and just opened a month or two ago. I'd suggest going there because the venue is much nicer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

see also: flavor syrups

I honestly don't mind the experimentation - at this point, there's so many breweries, you can ignore pretty much every hyped release and find something equally as good on shelves. I like the fact that breweries can easily experiment with one barrel of a batch and release a one-off.

Angry Chair Rocky Road (and BA Rocky Road) are pretty tasty, though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im fine with experimentation because I live in Denver and am insulated from beer releases being rare due to sheer market saturation

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Brewing isn't rocket science, just look at how the Rare Barrel got their sour program up and running - 3 "base" sours malt bills, then add whatever fruit you want. Speciation, an up-and-coming sour brewery in Michigan, does the exact same thing.

Granted, if you're a poo poo brewer, your base will suck, but it's really not that hard for these breweries to brew one giant batch of a base beer and make adjunct changes to them after the fact.

The possibilities are endless.

Cycle has one stout recipe for every barrel aged stout

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nah posted:

Cycle has one stout recipe for every barrel aged stout

Which is funny because it's also a derivative of Zhukov. Same with AC's stouts. One bay area, one stout recipe.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Aramoro posted:

It's always seemed a bit

or wearing diapers to own the libs kinda thing though.

As long as you're not either party, it's still funny.

Although I'm kinda tempted to chug cantillon kriek or geuze since those are cheap and pretty much everywhere in Europe.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna tenderly sip and enjoy a PC Pils

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Klaus Kinski posted:

As long as you're not either party, it's still funny.

Although I'm kinda tempted to chug cantillon kriek or geuze since those are cheap and pretty much everywhere in Europe.

I'm not going to doxx myself but I definitely have a photo of me chugging Cantillon Kriek from the bottle on our drive from Brussels to Beersel

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Sipping on The ground is shaking, Flanders from American solera. Everything they do is fantastic.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Duvel posted:

Sipping on The ground is shaking, Flanders from American solera. Everything they do is fantastic.

I had their dry hopped grissette and it was good but i'd never pay $10 for a 500 ml of it again.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

danbanana posted:

I had their dry hopped grissette and it was good but i'd never pay $10 for a 500 ml of it again.

every_grissette.txt

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Klaus Kinski posted:

every_grissette.txt

Yeah, no doubt. Those things need to be in $11 four packs or something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's a loving table saison, there's no need for it to be more expensive than a sixer of some rinky dink IPA.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Which is funny because it's also a derivative of Zhukov. Same with AC's stouts. One bay area, one stout recipe.

Admittedly, Zhukov almost seems restrained nowadays. One of the things that I love most about CCB's BA beers is how much barrel and booze they have on them.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

danbanana posted:

Yeah, no doubt. Those things need to be in $11 four packs or something.

They fit into the same drinking slot as a fresh hopped lager imo and when you can get nice ones for less than 1/5th of the price, there's not much competition.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I like how crushable Cellarmaker beers are. Been four years since I was last here.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is anyone considering the Liquid Arts festival this summer in Ontario? I’m pretty open to going and trying some internationals . Yeasty boys looks good.

On another note I took a winter hellstorm trip to Wisconsin and brought me back some good beers - the Squatters double IPA is really tasty. I hope some more of these things come east.

Also grabbed some of Flying Bison’s Juice Caboose which is okay but I guess I have been spoiled by some of Singlecut or Suarez’s stuff.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Lt_Tofu posted:

I like how crushable Cellarmaker beers are. Been four years since I was last here.

I crushed a few there last night.

I also went to Seven Stills to pick up a founders club bottle of whiskey that I won in their March Madness bracket. they do both beer and whiskey which is not something I've seen before, but I have zero experience going to distilleries. pretty cool spot, really chill but in a seemingly sketchy neighborhood. I think we drove through an open air market just around the corner.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I crushed a few there last night.

I also went to Seven Stills to pick up a founders club bottle of whiskey that I won in their March Madness bracket. they do both beer and whiskey which is not something I've seen before, but I have zero experience going to distilleries. pretty cool spot, really chill but in a seemingly sketchy neighborhood. I think we drove through an open air market just around the corner.

Interesting, going to check that out. Thanks to Untappd I realized it's been 4 years since I was last at Cellarmaker, doesn't feel that long ago.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Partycat posted:

Is anyone considering the Liquid Arts festival this summer in Ontario? I’m pretty open to going and trying some internationals . Yeasty boys looks good.

I'm going to the Friday night session. Looks like it'll be fun. The location is kind of annoying to get to though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Partycat posted:

Yeasty boys looks good.

You get Yeastie boys pretty extensively through he UK and they're pretty solid I'd say. Looking at the list I would try Weird Beard, Põhjala (Really fun guys, god beer as well), Wild Beer (Really great sour beer maker, a lot of creative beers), To Øl (Made the beer for my Wedding so always going to recommend) and Magic Rock.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The best breweries at that Liquid Arts festival of the ones I know:

Dunham
Les Trois Mousquetaires
Other Half
Pohjala
Brewski (if berliners and such)
To Ol (a very mixed bag, but capable of some great great stuff)
Magic Rock (very solid pales and such)
Transient (of course, this is like the official goon brewery, I don't like their stouts personally but most people do)
Aslin (good hoppy American brewery, the stouts are gimmicky and sweet as poo poo but people love them)
Graft Cider (excellent off the wall ciders, super fun)

I'm sure some of those other ones are good too, but these are all ones I'd actively go try.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Definitely check out pohjala if you haven't tried their beer before. Super solid stouts and porters.

Dugges makes good stuff as well. They do focus on stuff for a larger audience but they usually bring fun stuff to tastings and festivals. Most of their low abv stuff is really good.

To øl is very hit and miss. On one hand they can make delicious sours, just to punch you in the face with a 10% cloying overly fruited triple ipa.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Need to get some craft beers for someone who only drinks miller lite, and doesn't like anything to bold or big. Please help.

Obv Mama's little yella pils is the resounding answer*, but I want to round out a box, so any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm in Washington state.

Just FYI, here's the list I researched for this. Going to put together the box this afternoon if anyone has any more suggestions for "gateway craft brews for someone who only like Miller Lite

Lagunitas Pils
Mama's Little Yella Pils
Abita Light
Session LAger
Oly
Muskoka lager
329 Lager (Golden ROad)
The Brewery Saison Rue
Boulder Brewing Company's Sweaty Betty Blonde
Warsteiner Premium Verum
Okocim Blue Moon
Wittekerke

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Actually, once I got to the TW&M, I just decided to pick out 8 effort-pils.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Gonna be in Richmond this weekend. Gonna hit The Answer and Ardent. Anything else I should check out? (I don’t care about Veil unless they suddenly started making non-harsh IPAs and decent sours.) Looking for food recommendations as well.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

very stable genius posted:

Gonna be in Richmond this weekend. Gonna hit The Answer and Ardent. Anything else I should check out? (I don’t care about Veil unless they suddenly started making non-harsh IPAs and decent sours.) Looking for food recommendations as well.

This is one of the better "long weekend planning guides" I've seen, you probably won't go wrong following its recommendations. In terms of additional beer stops, I recommend adding Triple Crossing to your list, and try a couple of the other Scott's Addition breweries while you're up there, or one of the cideries if you're into that, or Circuit if you're feeling old school arcade games with your beer.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
Definitely hit Triple Crossing, they've always got a solid mix of interesting stuff. Also crush that Chicken Biscuit @ Saison Market.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

very stable genius posted:

lol

Quorum posted:

This is one of the better "long weekend planning guides" I've seen, you probably won't go wrong following its recommendations. In terms of additional beer stops, I recommend adding Triple Crossing to your list, and try a couple of the other Scott's Addition breweries while you're up there, or one of the cideries if you're into that, or Circuit if you're feeling old school arcade games with your beer.

oh, drat, we got dissed in that one!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 24, 2018

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

funkybottoms posted:

lol

oh, drat, we got dissed in that one!

Yeah I definitely would have subbed Ardent for Isley in that list. :v:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Quorum posted:

Added a few things from this guide to our itinerary. And I’ll definitely add Triple Crossing because it’s walkable from our hotel. The only problem I’m having is the abundance of quality restaurants is making it difficult to pick lunch and dinner reservations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Quorum posted:

Yeah I definitely would have subbed Ardent for Isley in that list. :v:

ha, thanks! i sent him a huge list and also strongly seconded Triple Crossing downtown- after Cask and work, that's my favorite place to have a beer.

we're driving to CBC next week and i was hoping for some opinions on any of the surprising number of breweries between Charlottesville and Nashville. if there's something cool in Nashville other than Bearded Iris, Yazoo, and Southern Grist, that would be cool to know, as well (the TN/KY thread isn't very active, unfortunately)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nebraska Brewing Co. jumped on the Mexican lager bandwagon and went with this name

... Am I wrong for thinking this is really dumb, if not a little insensitive, or am I just snowflaking here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Real Name Grover posted:

Nebraska Brewing Co. jumped on the Mexican lager bandwagon and went with this name

... Am I wrong for thinking this is really dumb, if not a little insensitive, or am I just snowflaking here

"Tacoveza?" Yeah, that's loving bad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's dumb but not really offensive at all.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Oh ffs, so that's what this was about

https://twitter.com/beermonkey/status/989203084529238016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jesus, that was a fun read.

I kinda know the shotcallers at NBC and I'm not surprised they went with a dumbass name like this