Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Did any of the LA area goons end up going to Pils and Love? Just curious to hear how that went and I'm making drat sure to get out to Maine for July 2019.

Also, made a new trading thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

Did any of the LA area goons end up going to Pils and Love? Just curious to hear how that went and I'm making drat sure to get out to Maine for July 2019.

Also, made a new trading thread!

if we- and me in particular- are not at PaL next summer, i'm gonna be maaaaaad.

good OP, dude!

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Kosher man posted:

DMS is not made by yeast :wave:

It can be created by some yeasts and bacteria for sure.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I like a pinch of Old Bay in natty boh, but that's a legal requirement as a Marylander.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Radio Nowhere posted:

I like a pinch of Old Bay in natty boh, but that's a legal requirement as a Marylander.

right after driving like an rear end in a top hat!

my boy Dave drinking through Trappist's beer pairing album (with a nice Ardent pilsner cameo)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m drinking a Sam Adams at an airport bar and I see a salt shaker nearby.

I’m tempted but that could be the worst troll ever.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Radio Nowhere posted:

I liked dead rise

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Captain Duvel posted:

I liked dead rise

I've never tried it but I think I will once I get back home to Baltimore.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Friends that went to Pils and Love said it was amazing, and they're picky SOBs so I'm going to guess it was very good.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got a free day in Toronto, any bars / breweries especially worth checking out?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Had many delicious beers in Chicago, can confirm from the other weekend that Maplewood's juicy IPAs are really quite good and sometimes it is difficult to leave and catch your flight home.

Also had a Hubbard's Cave super fresh IIPA picked up from Beer Temple the day after it was canned that was so delicious that my wife continues to take my beers away for her own consumption.

Chicago: I'd visit again and eat a pizza casserole and drink all of the beers.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Jerome Louis posted:

It can be created by some yeasts and bacteria for sure.

Link?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Dimethyl_Sulfide or any other link that comes up when you Google DMS and brewing

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Maybe im reading it wrong but it clearly states that there is bacteria that converts dmso to dms not that they create dms. The precursors for dms are in malt not yeast, and good brewing practices should put you in a position to not have them in your beer. The original post that I responded to talked about off flavors due to yeast. DMS just isn't one as it isn't due to the yeast as much as the brewing. Also if you get enterobacter in your beer then DMS isn't gonna be the worst thing you smell and taste.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Served a bottle of 2013 Rodenbach Caractère Rouge at a 30's themed beer buffet dinner I hosted tonight (based on this article: http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspa...%20-%205675.pdf)

It was very good. Some oxidative character, but it honestly made it more appealing in a port wine manner. No acetic acid, lots of cherry candy flavor.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Kosher man posted:

Maybe im reading it wrong but it clearly states that there is bacteria that converts dmso to dms not that they create dms. The precursors for dms are in malt not yeast, and good brewing practices should put you in a position to not have them in your beer. The original post that I responded to talked about off flavors due to yeast. DMS just isn't one as it isn't due to the yeast as much as the brewing. Also if you get enterobacter in your beer then DMS isn't gonna be the worst thing you smell and taste.

If your argument is that yeast and bacteria don't create DMS but actually converts it to DMS from another compound, as is the case with most compounds in beer, then I dunno what to tell you. Yes they don't create DMS out of thin air. Also, read the section on DMSO precursors more closely.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
My argument is you find or get DMS in a beer and it isn't the yeast fault. The fault for that is in the brewing not the fermentation.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Kosher man posted:

My argument is you find or get DMS in a beer and it isn't the yeast fault. The fault for that is in the brewing not the fermentation.

Well then you should have posted that instead of ":smuggo: :smuggo: DMS is not made by yeast :wave: :spergin: :smuggo: :smuggo:" which as is usually the case when someone tries to be a know-it-all goon, is wrong.

There are also arguments to be made against the quote above, while although it is generally more true, in the case of mixed fermentations or kettle sours (which was the context of your original statement, not a clean sacch. cerevisae beer), DMS can be a big issue, due to fermentation issues, even if proper brewing technique is followed. I really wouldn't care or try to act like an rear end in a top hat about if your post wasn't so smug while being so incorrect. If you want to learn more about it, join the Milk the Funk group on Facebook and ask about it. DMS issues in mixed fermentations and sour beers is a Thing and is posted about a lot.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kosher man posted:

DMS is not made by yeast :wave:

Wrong.

Kosher man posted:

Your memory is bad and you didn't even bother to read the extensive wiki aritcle detailing the many sources of DMS, including yeast :wave:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This is the shittiest most pedantic derail because the purpose of my original post was just to point out how many things can go wrong during the brewing process. Nobody cares where the compounds are coming from, just that they can occur.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
keep em the gently caress out of my beer is all

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Toebone posted:

I've got a free day in Toronto, any bars / breweries especially worth checking out?

Bars: Bar Hop (any of the 3), Birreria Volo, The Only, C'est What, Bryden's, The Wren, Pharmacy

Breweries: Halo, Rainhard, Bellwoods, Left Field, Godspeed, GLB, Henderson, Blood Brothers, Burdock

Cider: Revel, West Avenue, Spirit Tree

Avoid: Biermarket, Cool Brewery, Mill Street Brewery, Against the Grain, pretty much any LCBO downtown except for 2 Cooper Street, Bandit Brewery

Meh: Amsterdam Brewery (nice lakefront patio though), Beer Bistro, Indie Alehouse, Northern Maverick Brewery

Also public transit is good, use it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Just opened my last 2013 BCBW and all it is making me do is hate myself for not buying cases of this when I had the chance.

This is absolutely one of the best BA barleywines ever made.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

First post in this thread so sorry if I'm treading old ground.

But holy loving poo poo California, why have you been hiding New England IPA's from me?!

Just opened a can on one from a local brewery, 'Cosmic Fly By' from Ol' Republic. Bursting with juicy fruity goodness over that timeless IPA character.

Any others I should keep my eyes peeled for out here on the West Coast?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Fat Lou's experience so far with Chicago Brut IPAs:

Maplewood Mega Dry Batch 1: Quite good. Aroma and flavor is near a NE, but pretty dry. Not as dry as I would expect with that name.
Maplewood Mega Dry Batch 2: Better than the first. Very dry. Again reminds me of a NE IPA in aroma and flavor. Aftertaste has an unexpected bright crackery aspect that is really enjoyable.
Middlebrow Art Brut: Almost feels like a dry Belgian Pale Ale even though it uses straight up American Ale yeast. I like it, but I doubt it is where the style will end up.
Around the Bend Extra Circus: I think this might be my favorite so far. It is straight up bone dry and super clean. Nice tropical hops. It is 7.5%, but honestly comes across way less.
Cruz Blanca Brut IPA: Pretty good. The Simcoe hops are strong, so I know this is going to be divisive, but I dig it. Nothing super special though.
Iluminated Brew Works Radionic Amplifier: I am generally mixed on IBW's IPAs, but this is one of their better ones. Not as dry as I would like, but the flavor and aroma are on point and kinda makes up for lack of dryness.
Hailstorm Hopsecco: Not...very...good. Way too much grape juice added.
Mikerphone Brut ee Licious: Please no. Diacetyl. Not dry. Meh.

Overall, if the style ends up close to what AtB and Maplewood are doing I am going to by very happy.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 20, 2018

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

DrHammond posted:

First post in this thread so sorry if I'm treading old ground.

But holy loving poo poo California, why have you been hiding New England IPA's from me?!

Just opened a can on one from a local brewery, 'Cosmic Fly By' from Ol' Republic. Bursting with juicy fruity goodness over that timeless IPA character.

Any others I should keep my eyes peeled for out here on the West Coast?
if Ol Republic is local to you, then you should be in the vicinity of Moonraker. they make some of the regions best NEIPA. there's also two newer breweries that I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about, Moksa and Urban Roots. New Glory also makes good ipa and some of their stuff sees distro.

oh yeah there's also a Fieldwork in Sacramento, but I would say their overall style is usually more on the west coast side of bitterness

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

DrHammond posted:

But holy loving poo poo California, why have you been hiding New England IPA's from me?

Hammond, his liver opened

I was so used to any old IPA having at least some of those clear qualities that my first IPA in the Midwest being malty as hell caused me to look at the beer as though it were broken.

I’d forgotten how much malty sweetness they jam in there out west. That’s fine but the juicy styles just don’t exist out there either with any regularity. It’s like that thing where butter is different between coasts but beer.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

Just opened my last 2013 BCBW and all it is making me do is hate myself for not buying cases of this when I had the chance.

This is absolutely one of the best BA barleywines ever made.

I have one bottle left myself and was waiting for the weather to get colder before I open it. I also have a 2014 left but I don’t recall that being nearly as great.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Partycat posted:

It’s like that thing where butter is different between coasts

I never knew this but I guess it explains why challenge butter has weird stubby sticks

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Partycat posted:

That’s fine but the juicy styles just don’t exist out there either with any regularity.

Yes, no one west of Virginia is touching the "juicy" stuff. We are adamantly against haze and will loving fight over how much we refuse to drink it.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Partycat posted:

I’d forgotten how much malty sweetness they jam in there out west. That’s fine but the juicy styles just don’t exist out there either with any regularity. It’s like that thing where butter is different between coasts but beer.

this is a pretty outdated notion. crystal malts have pretty much all but disappeared from west coast ipa. good west coast style ipa is all about the hops..

at least in California, maybe Oregon is still turning out PNW malty ipa but I doubt it

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

this is a pretty outdated notion. crystal malts have pretty much all but disappeared from west coast ipa. good west coast style ipa is all about the hops..

at least in California, maybe Oregon is still turning out PNW malty ipa but I doubt it

Nope, the PNW malty IPA is all but dead. I saw one in 3 months in the Northwest and it was specifically done as like a "throwback" the same way modern breweries will do a crystal heavy C hop IPA/Pale in the Sierra Nevada vein

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Apache posted:

I've got a surplus of Hidden Springs fruited kettle sours and other Tampa beer. I'll send a box to whomever gets closest to a random number generator output between 1 and 100 that I'll run Tuesday afternoon.

I received the package last week and cracked open the Key Lime Pie; it was awesome. Can't wait to try the cracktus next week when I get back from my work trip. Thanks again. You're a solid dude!

Edit: I had my own MZ can and from what I've heard, some people noted that it had very little if any coconut flavor while mine were full of it. I'm looking forward to trying the one you sent to see if there is any difference.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hidden Springs key lime sour was way better than it should be.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have had a couple key lime recently including Crooked Stave’s Key Lime Tau which I had today.

I’m liking this like trend

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hell yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno about the tomatoes or spaghetti but I've had several weird-rear end beers that actually tasted pretty great:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I dunno about the tomatoes or spaghetti but I've had several weird-rear end beers that actually tasted pretty great:

Nothing about that sounds weird.

Also, where the gently caress are these Reinheitsgebot purists they're talking about?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I guess if they dispensed with the nonsense it could be like hipster’s first michelada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

danbanana posted:

Nothing about that sounds weird.

Also, where the gently caress are these Reinheitsgebot purists they're talking about?

You should see the reactions I got from my wife/friends when I showed them :laugh: