Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only brut I see anywhere anymore are old 4 packs of Ommegang’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spuckuk posted:

Bring back brut IPA s imo

This is the most right post that's been made in this thread

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Jersey Girl, ManSkirt and Czigmeister are all super close to each other and very worth the drive in the Hackettstown/ Mt Olive area. It's also just a nice area of the state too if you're out for a drive. Be sure to also stop by Hot Dog Johnny's in Buttzville for a cheap deep fried dog, fries, and birch beer or buttermilk.

Bolero Snort is awesome, they have tons of really good and fun cans. Everything from them is delicious. Jersey Cyclone is a cute little place, but not a big can selection at this time.

I'm in this area and recommend all three, also seconding Hot Dog Johnny's. Though if you are not in the mood for that you can get some decent food near Czigmeister and ManSkirt.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 10, 2020

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Out of the 40ish brut IPAs I had almost all were very bad and like 3 were amazing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Fat Lou posted:

Out of the 40ish brut IPAs I had almost all were very bad and like 3 were amazing.

So it’s exactly like hazies?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm fine going to Portland, too. I'll be there a week, so the beer is ripe.

Level
Great Notion
Breakside
Occidental
Baerlic (who just turned their parking lot into a beer garden at one spot)

All great breweries with spots on the north side of Portland.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

deedee megadoodoo posted:

So it’s exactly like hazies?

yeah honestly if I had to pick between hazy & brut as like a commercial style going forwards, I’d probably take the bruts

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress/marry/kill for hazy, brut, and SN Torpedo IPA.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Podima posted:

gently caress hazy, marry Torpedo, kill brut

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Podima posted:

gently caress brut, kill hazy, marry torpedo

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

air- posted:

gently caress brut, kill hazy, marry torpedo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Kill Brut, gently caress hazy, mary torpedo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I haven’t had torpedo in a while, but I guess I’ll go with gently caress hazy, marry brut, kill torpedo

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hazy brute gently caress torpedo kill Mary.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Hemingway.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

highme posted:

Level
Great Notion
Breakside
Occidental
Baerlic (who just turned their parking lot into a beer garden at one spot)

All great breweries with spots on the north side of Portland.

These are all real good, I'll also add Ecliptic because I love their burger tuesday special and it's quality beer all around and a cool spot.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://revbrew.com/shop/black-is-beautiful

Rev's BIB released today.

I'm still not sure how this was supposed to work. Were the breweries provided a recipe to follow? Was it guidance or something specific?

Rev's description makes it sound nice: a kind of old school stout (Alderaan is the base beer for Deth's Tar, of course...).

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I picked up a few cans of B-43 the last time I was at the bottle shop without looking closely at the can, didn't realize it was a brut until I tried it. It was okay.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

https://revbrew.com/shop/black-is-beautiful

Rev's BIB released today.

I'm still not sure how this was supposed to work. Were the breweries provided a recipe to follow? Was it guidance or something specific?

Rev's description makes it sound nice: a kind of old school stout (Alderaan is the base beer for Deth's Tar, of course...).

Marcus at Weathered Souls talked about the collab during that Untappd virtual fest, the only instructions were to brew an imperial stout

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
There's a recipe but they encourage everyone to kind of put their own spin on it

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

dphi posted:

I picked up a few cans of B-43 the last time I was at the bottle shop without looking closely at the can, didn't realize it was a brut until I tried it. It was okay.

I grabbed a 4 pack of Love Bubbles from Breakside when it was in their rotation for the Seeker series of IPAs without realizing it was a brut. It's probably my least favorite Breakside beer.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Got a box of Ardent from Funkybottoms. The bohemian and italian pilsners are both extremely good but the doppelbock is some next level poo poo. Probably the best one I've had in years.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Wow posted:

Got a box of Ardent from Funkybottoms. The bohemian and italian pilsners are both extremely good but the doppelbock is some next level poo poo. Probably the best one I've had in years.

you got a dobblebocK???

:qq:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I was just thinking fondly last night of Ardent's doppelbock. That poo poo is so good. The BA one is like putting on a sweater.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Was at the local TJ's today and what do I see on the shelves? A brut IPA. I picked up a 4 pack and they're in the fridge right now. Lol I don't even remember which brewery made 'em :\

*edit*
Just checked the date on these cans and it's 2/20/20. Looks like I got took :trumppop:

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 12, 2020

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
One of the local breweries made a brut ipa that I thought would be terrible. Then when I was offered a taste of it I read the cans which said it was made with Mosaic and Citra hops and holy poo poo, it was pretty drat good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Josh Wow posted:

yay! sorry i didn't send the regular pils, but i am unhappy with the most recent batch; long story, but we let someone else crop off our yeast, pitch, and then crop off their beer to give back to us and i think something went a little sideways. not flawed, but not how it normally tastes, either.

also, i have been remiss in thanking you for muling the Zillicoah Kellerpils, which was quite nice and not exactly what i was expecting. soft, bready malt character, lower carbonation, and cloudy? yes. huge lemony/herbal hop notes? sure. something almost a little... tart? hmm. blind, i might have guessed that it was a farmhouse beer, but i guess that has something to do with the open fermentation process. regardless, they were really tasty and supremely crushable, plus the packaging is sexy as hell.

prayer group posted:

I was just thinking fondly last night of Ardent's doppelbock. That poo poo is so good. The BA one is like putting on a sweater.

on Thursday i tasted some that's been in a rye barrel for a few months and it was drat good. feel free to bug me about sending you some in the near future!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

you got a dobblebocK???

:qq:

sorry, can't fit crowlers in the 16oz can shippers!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

on Thursday i tasted some that's been in a rye barrel for a few months and it was drat good. feel free to bug me about sending you some in the near future!

I will bug you about that now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i will pay cash money via snail mail for some

or like paypal or whatever

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spanish Manlove posted:

i will pay cash money via snail mail for some

or like paypal or whatever

If it’s the Defenestrator that Funky sent me earlier this year it slaps and I was mad at myself for not ordering more.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Since its July in Florida and :supaburn: hot I decided some Micheladas were in order, using Serious Eats' recipe that doesn't have tomato juice. Modelo Especial would usually be my go to but grabbed Sol for shits and giggles. I'm thoroughly refreshed and can't stop drinking them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

funkybottoms posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0toEKn3vKDU

They got a crowler?! :qq: :qq:

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

yay! sorry i didn't send the regular pils, but i am unhappy with the most recent batch; long story, but we let someone else crop off our yeast, pitch, and then crop off their beer to give back to us and i think something went a little sideways. not flawed, but not how it normally tastes, either.

also, i have been remiss in thanking you for muling the Zillicoah Kellerpils, which was quite nice and not exactly what i was expecting. soft, bready malt character, lower carbonation, and cloudy? yes. huge lemony/herbal hop notes? sure. something almost a little... tart? hmm. blind, i might have guessed that it was a farmhouse beer, but i guess that has something to do with the open fermentation process. regardless, they were really tasty and supremely crushable, plus the packaging is sexy as hell.

I crushed a ton of the Keller Pils. It was great. Mine did not have any tartness or cloudy but they are packaging on the hand bottler they use for funky beer and basically cleaning the hell out of it in between. Currently crushing the Helles that just got released. Prettttyyyyyyy gooooood.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Kosher man posted:

I crushed a ton of the Keller Pils. It was great. Mine did not have any tartness or cloudy but they are packaging on the hand bottler they use for funky beer and basically cleaning the hell out of it in between. Currently crushing the Helles that just got released. Prettttyyyyyyy gooooood.

i think the lemon hop flavor was so strong that it kind of presented itself as tart? i dunno, i really did enjoy them, but there was something unusual i just couldn't put my finger on.

so, what's up with Casita's big news? are you still going to be brewing at DR or are you getting a full setup?

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Its a full set up but only a 10bbl kit with tanks to match. Could only do 5 brews a month in that space so we plan to keep brewing at DR as well for bigger distro. What it does offer us is a tasting room and a chance to do sours and mix culture. It also has a massive outdoor garden which we plan to utilize during all this.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

gently caress yeah, that's really great to hear! got an idea of when you might be open?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Having Cantillon Oude Gueze (relatively fresh) and 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Cuvée Armand & Gaston (season 17|18) back to back and 3 Fonteinen is kicking Cantillons rear end. Neither beer is very sour, but the 3 Fonteinen one has this "clashing" of tart and intensely bitter that reminds me of BFM √225 Saison. It's also much more carbonated, and the combination of these factors just makes it a more refreshing beer. It's got an amazing orange color for a beer made with only pale malt and wheat.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

gently caress yeah, that's really great to hear! got an idea of when you might be open?

We get the keys on Aug 1st and plan to start redecorating and stuff. Hopefully all our permits also come in at the start. I think September is when we plan to open the doors but as to when in September it will come down to exactly when the permits come in and I can make beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

thotsky posted:

Having Cantillon Oude Gueze (relatively fresh) and 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Cuvée Armand & Gaston (season 17|18) back to back and 3 Fonteinen is kicking Cantillons rear end. Neither beer is very sour, but the 3 Fonteinen one has this "clashing" of tart and intensely bitter that reminds me of BFM √225 Saison. It's also much more carbonated, and the combination of these factors just makes it a more refreshing beer. It's got an amazing orange color for a beer made with only pale malt and wheat.

About a year ago I opened 3F's regular OG and an A&G from the same time period (and no older than a year so, bottled). The difference was pretty significant, with my preference to the OG. A&G definitely had less funk and a higher mineral flavor and bitterness. The OG is what I kind of cut my teeth on in lambic so it better fit my idea of what it "should" taste like. It's definitely interesting that they seemingly are purposely making A&G a different beer when- at least initially- the difference was where the wort was being brewed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

danbanana posted:

About a year ago I opened 3F's regular OG and an A&G from the same time period (and no older than a year so, bottled). The difference was pretty significant, with my preference to the OG. A&G definitely had less funk and a higher mineral flavor and bitterness. The OG is what I kind of cut my teeth on in lambic so it better fit my idea of what it "should" taste like. It's definitely interesting that they seemingly are purposely making A&G a different beer when- at least initially- the difference was where the wort was being brewed.

I believe at the moment the difference is only the amount of hops used (they talk about that on the Belgian Smaak podcast), although they're probably also blending for a slightly different result... or maybe they just blend to what tastes good then and there.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

thotsky posted:

I believe at the moment the difference is only the amount of hops used (they talk about that on the Belgian Smaak podcast), although they're probably also blending for a slightly different result... or maybe they just blend to what tastes good then and there.

Yeah. And maybe some of my surprise between the two was that when the first batches of A&G were out, they were advertised as "the first geueze blends with all-3F wort in years!" which I think people thought meant that it was just OG with their wort. The few I've had now- especially when side-by-side with OG- really made me think otherwise. I definitely think they're going for a different end result with the blend.