Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkSoulsTantrum
Apr 6, 2011

this kills the crab

Sure, they're visually impressive, but a lot of posters find large avatars physically uncomfortable. Furthermore, the owners of large avatars often rely on their size alone and don't bother to develop more refined posting techniques.

Iím just putting this out there. Iím tired of IPAs. Letís see something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Can I interest you in a or maybe a or even just a good ol

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The most interesting development in the past few years of beer was probably the Brut IPA fad. Not for Brut IPAs themselves really, but because it was a move towards drier, leaner beers instead of the endless trend towards bigger, sweeter or smoother. The use of added enzymes was an interesting technique too. I maintain that Orval is one of the best, most drinkable beers there is, and almost unique in the way it blends a firm, but not extreme bitterness, abundant carbonation and complete dryness. It reminds me of sparkling wine in the way it's so "edgy" yet drinkable.

Saisons and sour beers sometimes move in this territory, but can easily get either flabby or too sour. I'd love to see beers in the mold of Orval exploring light tartness and the techniques used for Brut IPAs. There's a lot of room for good low-ish ABV lagers and pale ales too, but at the moment I find natural wine/the whole glou-glou thing to have overtaken beer in terms of drinkability, which should be corrected.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

internet celebrity posted:

Can I interest you in a

That can looks like itís exploded.

I do appreciate many styles, but Iím tired of gimmicks. They just cover up the flaws in too many beers. Thereís also no reason for the diacetyl in too many of these pilsners that breweries near me are starting to push. So if the choice is between a WC IPA and some other beer that is a stretch for a lot of these places, Iíll grab the IPA still every time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jhet posted:

They just cover up the flaws in too many beers.
why learn how to actually make good beer, no one actually gives a gently caress anymore. Just serve literal mixed drinks and tell people its your new ginger pilsner aged in aŮejo barrels

DarkSoulsTantrum
Apr 6, 2011

this kills the crab

Sure, they're visually impressive, but a lot of posters find large avatars physically uncomfortable. Furthermore, the owners of large avatars often rely on their size alone and don't bother to develop more refined posting techniques.

internet celebrity posted:

Can I interest you in a or maybe a or even just a good ol

Ugh, just get me a bud light please

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Ugh, just get me a bud light please

Beer sins driving us...back into to Bud's light?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Beer sins driving us...back into to Bud's light?

I keep a keg of Genny Light on tap in my backyard now.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m just putting this out there. I’m tired of IPAs. Let’s see something new.

*pulls you in close*

Buddy, what if i told you that vanilla milkshake had BOOZE in it? And tasted like burnt bourbon barrels?!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This guy gets it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m just putting this out there. I’m tired of IPAs. Let’s see something new.

Honestly? Classic Belgian strong ales and good lagers. I've come full circle here

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Man, my local macro lager is such poo poo. It's meant to be a pilsner, and it only has traditional saaz hops in it, yet it is weirdly fruity and somewhat flabby. It tastes like a bad kŲlsch.

LionYeti
Oct 11, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Sadly IPA's are super efficient at getting people drunk without it tasting like it. a 9% stout feels big and heavy whereas a 9% east coast IPA tastes like boozy orange juice.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

LionYeti posted:

Sadly IPA's are super efficient at getting people drunk without it tasting like it. a 9% stout feels big and heavy whereas a 9% east coast IPA tastes like boozy orange juice.

Cocktails still remain king here.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spuckuk posted:

Cocktails still remain king here.

but cocktails are for alcoholics

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LionYeti posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Ipas taste like boozy herbal tea and are so hard to drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just go back to the old styles. Pick up some beers from European breweries if you haven't before, or have forgotten them.

I usually pick up whatever is new from the few local breweries I like but also a couple of European beers from the older breweries, usually pilsners and such I have never tried before. Vander Ghinste Roodbruin was something I had recently, really good.