Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Biomute posted:

Is Jai Alai a good beer? We got some on shelves pretty recently, and it's not moving. It's very rare that we get anything from the US that does not have a few months on it, so I steered clear.

I swear the quality has gone down hill since Oskar Blues started brewing it at larger capacities. I was really excited to see it national, but even fresh cans don't taste as good as I remember it being back when CCB brewed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Rakekniven posted:

I swear the quality has gone down hill since Oskar Blues started brewing it at larger capacities. I was really excited to see it national, but even fresh cans don't taste as good as I remember it being back when CCB brewed it.

99.99999% chance that it tastes exactly the same and you're just nostalgia remembering the beer. Like everyone's favorite beer when they're new to craft is "different now" once they start trying other poo poo.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
jai alai to me was always pretty nice if you could grab it w/in 3 weeks of canning but beyond that its a bit meh. i haven't tried one since CCB entered our market yet for that reason

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Epic has Quadruple Barrel Baptist out now and I'm wondering how far they're going to take this. This one includes barrel aged almonds.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

MunchE posted:

99.99999% chance that it tastes exactly the same and you're just nostalgia remembering the beer. Like everyone's favorite beer when they're new to craft is "different now" once they start trying other poo poo.

i think this is true a lot of the time, but if it's a totally different system with a different water source, it wouldn't be surprising if the beer didn't taste the same. even if they nailed the water profile, hop utilization changes as you scale up, tank geometry has an effect on dry-hopping, and, hell, they might not even be using the same malt or yeast. a few years ago, while we were waiting on new fermenters, we had a few batches contract brewed in a different part of the state and they were terrible despite us sending someone up the first two times to make sure they didn't gently caress up (granted, these dudes were clowns compared to OB)

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

funkybottoms posted:

i think this is true a lot of the time, but if it's a totally different system with a different water source, it wouldn't be surprising if the beer didn't taste the same. even if they nailed the water profile, hop utilization changes as you scale up, tank geometry has an effect on dry-hopping, and, hell, they might not even be using the same malt or yeast. a few years ago, while we were waiting on new fermenters, we had a few batches contract brewed in a different part of the state and they were terrible despite us sending someone up the first two times to make sure they didn't gently caress up (granted, these dudes were clowns compared to OB)

Yeah, but we're not talking a 10bbl brewhouse moving to scale here - Cigar City was already brewing at large scale and they're moving production to an experienced quality facility. Russian River last year quietly brewed some batches at Firestone's facility because their main facility was offline for some reason and nobody even noticed. It's possible to gently caress up beer moving to scale (Green Flash Alpine great example) but I doubt it's likely here

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They seemed to have worked out the kinks in Jai Also and it's tasting like it used to, so that's nice. It's a good, grandpa's ipa of decent ABV I can buy in a singular 16oz in a paper bag.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

MunchE posted:

I've definitely encountered that phenomenon before, but in this case I had some at CCB just prior to the changeover and the hop profile is distinctly different.

On a related topic, Barrel Aged Stouts and Selling Out is a really good read for anyone that's interested in the behind the scenes of Goose Island and AB InBev's actions over the past few years.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

dphi posted:

Epic has Quadruple Barrel Baptist out now and I'm wondering how far they're going to take this. This one includes barrel aged almonds.

It was pretty good, had it at their taproom (brewery?) in Denver. The almonds were a nice little addition.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

10 barrel brewing silently waiting to file a trademark lawsuit against one of these upstarts who take it too far...

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Lyon posted:

It was pretty good, had it at their taproom (brewery?) in Denver. The almonds were a nice little addition.

I'll be picking up a bottle or two, never disappointed with their stouts.

Control Volume posted:

10 barrel brewing silently waiting to file a trademark lawsuit against one of these upstarts who take it too far...

lol

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Heads up for anyone with a Von's grocery store nearby: my local location has regular BCBS for $11.99 if you're a 'club' member, so you might want to check it out if BCBS interests you

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Got my box from a very stable genius, not sure how you got away with the big "THIS BOX CONTAINS ALCOHOL" stickers

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

dphi posted:

Got my box from a very stable genius, not sure how you got away with the big "THIS BOX CONTAINS ALCOHOL" stickers

I'm pretty sure I got that box from SUPER HASSLER when he sent my Ale Apothecary bottles at the beginning of the year. I seriously considered trying to remove them but they're on pretty tight and I was worried about damaging the integrity of the box. My other 12 bottle shippers are all beat to hell. Glad it arrived safely!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

dphi posted:

I've gotten boxes like that too and my stash of brewery sticker swag took care of that :cheerdoge:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My local shop got their weekly delivery today, and they got 4 beers in from Siren, so I bought them all.

Carribean Chocolate Cake
Carribean Ginger Chocolate Cake
Death by Carribean Chocolate Cake
Barrel Aged Carribean Chocolate Cake

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Sirens pastry game is pretty good so I wouldn't feel bad about blind buying them if you're into that stuff.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
What if I like funfetti cake more?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mehall posted:

My local shop got their weekly delivery today, and they got 4 beers in from Siren, so I bought them all.

Carribean Chocolate Cake
Carribean Ginger Chocolate Cake
Death by Carribean Chocolate Cake
Barrel Aged Carribean Chocolate Cake

Extremely good shout, I just had the death by and it's great. Siren don't go too sweet on the big stouts.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

MunchE posted:

Yeah, but we're not talking a 10bbl brewhouse moving to scale here - Cigar City was already brewing at large scale and they're moving production to an experienced quality facility. Russian River last year quietly brewed some batches at Firestone's facility because their main facility was offline for some reason and nobody even noticed. It's possible to gently caress up beer moving to scale (Green Flash Alpine great example) but I doubt it's likely here

oh, i'm sure that they nailed it eventually, but it's not crazy to suggest that a beer brewed in a different facility didn't taste the same the first few times. poo poo, the same hop varities from the same farm don't necessarily taste the same from year to year, it could have been something as simple (and uncontrollable) as that

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Heads up for anyone with a Von's grocery store nearby: my local location has regular BCBS for $11.99 if you're a 'club' member, so you might want to check it out if BCBS interests you

takk some heim tonight!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The death of mary queen of scotts by caribbean chocolate cake

Apache
May 11, 2004

The beer exchange consumption starts tomorrow right? Counting down from 12 to 1?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Tomorrow night, I would have thought 1-12 though

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

dphi posted:

same here (especially since i opened #1 before realizing i was a day early)

((the wrapping, not the actual bottle))

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 14, 2018

Apache
May 11, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

same here (especially since i opened #1 before realizing i was a day early)

((the wrapping, not the actual bottle))

Doh, mine were packed to go 12 down to 1.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't even number them :catbert:

Clocks if you're reading this, the glass bottle is the 12th beer. The rest are dealers choice.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Clocks if you're reading this, the glass bottle is the 12th beer. The rest are dealers choice.

Dealers choice is my favorite.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm picturing you spending half the day in the store picking out one bottle, five minutes before closing you panic and grab a 12-pack of whatever is closest and chug one on the spot. Math checks out.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

dphi posted:

That’s how I ordered them. I put a lot of thought into the order. Way more thought than was necessary.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Klaus Kinski posted:

I'm picturing you spending half the day in the store picking out one bottle, five minutes before closing you panic and grab a 12-pack of whatever is closest and chug one on the spot. Math checks out.

Jokes on you. They were 6 packs :shepface:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Apache posted:

Doh, mine were packed to go 12 down to 1.

Nooooo, start with #1!

Edit: oh wait poo poo you mean the ones you sent. Uh, nm then

The beers I received were helpful labeled with the date I should be consuming them on. If there's a next year for this BIF we should probably be more explicit with this detail, along with a dollar amount limit since it sounds like some boxes were wildly more expensive than others...

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 14, 2018

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sirotan posted:

Nooooo, start with #1!

Edit: oh wait poo poo you mean the ones you sent. Uh, nm then

The beers I received were helpful labeled with the date I should be consuming them on. If there's a next year for this BIF we should probably be more explicit with this detail, along with a dollar amount limit since it sounds like some boxes were wildly more expensive than others...

I figured people would come up with some sort of a numbering system on their own. And I didn’t want to attach a dollar limit because like every BIF, just spend what you’re comfortable with. This started because I was looking for someone to just do a blind swap of 12 wrapped beers and other people wanted in. I didn’t put a ton of thought into it.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Cloks used wrapping paper and wrote a personal note on each one. I feel even worse just sending shorty cat newspaper hahaha

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Captain Duvel posted:

Cloks used wrapping paper and wrote a personal note on each one. I feel even worse just sending shorty cat newspaper hahaha

In case anyone feels bad, the note on the first one starts with "this is not a good beer".

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Winter really is the best, I've had a bunch of different cask cherry stouts this month and they've all been great.

I am going to find a log fire and hide beside it with a load of Stay Puft porter all weekend.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Duvel posted:

Hey man I did the same thing. Just my newspaper is in Spanish. I was gonna throw some :siren: authentic Mexican candy in there :siren: but that poo poo might have disintegrated by the time they left California.

first beer of BIF. Looking like a winner here. A+ name.

Sirotan posted:

sounds like some boxes were wildly more expensive than others...

I'd like to clarify that mine was only expensive because I'm an idiot who paid almost $100 bucks to ship . :colbert:
Not that I sent cheap beer! I mean...I guess I coulda sent some more expensive bottles... but they arn't bad beers! I swear!:qq:

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 14, 2018

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Last night I saw a bottle list that had 2013 Rayon Vert and I was in heaven. I super miss that beer and honestly will probably stop by after work tonight for another before my plans.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChiTownEddie posted:

Last night I saw a bottle list that had 2013 Rayon Vert and I was in heaven. I super miss that beer and honestly will probably stop by after work tonight for another before my plans.

Orval tho :discourse:

Saison Brett is another that I miss a ton since it seems that Boulevard has hardly shown up in shelves lately.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

ChiTownEddie posted:

I’ve got exactly one left. I should probably move it to the fridge so it doesn’t explode in my cellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Orval tho :discourse:

Saison Brett is another that I miss a ton since it seems that Boulevard has hardly shown up in shelves lately.

At this point I only buy Saison Brett on clearance because no one buys it anymore.

Also, I haven't had like the last 4 years of Love Child...