Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

misplaced exclamation mark; minus two points

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Hauki posted:

BA ten fidy is still $9 for a stovepipe and that is somehow mindblowing to me relative to what everyone else charges for their dumb pastry stouts

why does scotch look cheap compared to beer again

drat, it's $13 here

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

There's a BJ's here charging $5 for a BA fidy. Tempting to go pair one with a pizookie :gritin:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Found some blind pig at the beer store today 😤😤🙏🏼

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

https://twitter.com/TheBeerTemple/status/1096848724851130368?s=19

Far cooler.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Oh hell yeah. I'll have to swing by.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

air- posted:

There's a BJ's here charging $5 for a BA fidy. Tempting to go pair one with a pizookie :gritin:

That's pretty much required. Pairing BA Stouts with pizookies is a gold mine waiting to happen.

Mikkeller DTLA had their anniversary today and had multiple Cantillon and DF to-go for secondary prices. Also had a huge list of Jester King beers which was the better part of the event since we never get their limited releases out here.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i was drinking Sump yesterday and it got me pining for VSS, so i just looked at the Alesmith website and they are selling Sap Ness Monster Speedway- anyone tried it? sounds weird, but possibly good

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

i was drinking Sump yesterday and it got me pining for VSS

Drinking something bad often makes me pine for something good, too.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
the vss were a good band yes

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

My homebrew mead fermented way harder than expected so instead of diabetes water i now have 18% raspberry champagne. It's actually pretty good.

Sounds great, pics? How much raspberries?

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Wife and I are in Dublin and last night we went to a pub for traditional Irish music that was also a “craft beer” pub, the latter of which we weren’t looking for.

Anyways a very fat English man complained to us about the founders beer he had that was too hoppy and the abv too high.

We stuck to Guinness and whiskey, that’s my story thanks for listening.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

well, at least he didn't say it was too dark

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

:discourse:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

i better see everyone drinking pilsners after 8pm

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Compusaurus posted:

Wife and I are in Dublin and last night we went to a pub for traditional Irish music that was also a “craft beer” pub, the latter of which we weren’t looking for.

Anyways a very fat English man complained to us about the founders beer he had that was too hoppy and the abv too high.

Your mistake was listening to English peoples opinions on anything in, or related to, Ireland.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Compusaurus posted:

Did he also call himself Don Juan?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Nth Doctor posted:

Did he also call himself Don Juan?

They offered him a Founders but he Don Juan it! :dadjoke:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

They offered him a Founders but he Don Juan it! :dadjoke:

Dad jokes that poo poo on Founders are extremely my thing.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Who is going to Huna?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Kosher man posted:

Who is going to Huna?

Me. I'll also be going to Cycle's BA day for the first time since it became a ticketed event (no longer at Pegs that is).

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kosher man posted:

Who is going to Huna?

Not going since I planned my annual trip to HF/New England for that weekend; I should be at HF on Huna day funnily enough.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It didn't seem worth it this year. I do want to go to hangover day at 7th

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm doing Huna and AC Super Rad, and probably doing hangover day too, not sure which 7venth I want to go to though. Skipped BA Day because 3 consecutive days of stouts seems a bit too much.

Hopefully gonna make it to this too

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuHKxJWlguh/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

I'm doing Huna and AC Super Rad, and probably doing hangover day too, not sure which 7venth I want to go to though. Skipped BA Day because 3 consecutive days of stouts seems a bit too much.

Hopefully gonna make it to this too

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuHKxJWlguh/

Have you had the foeder saison that GB started canning? I haven't seen it up here yet and I wonder if it's any better than that marker48/central28 Trekker grisette, which is pretty decent for a summer beer. (I get those two names confused)

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'll be at Huna, and probably be hitting a few St Pete breweries on Friday before. They don't seem to be going as all out for this one as the last two. I'm not seeing any huge whale beers on the list this year, no Assassin or Manbearpig or the like on the list so far. I'd guess the biggest lines will be for the BA Dark Lord from 3 Floyds or the BA Imperial German Cupcake Stout from Angry Chair.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Have you had the foeder saison that GB started canning? I haven't seen it up here yet and I wonder if it's any better than that marker48/central28 Trekker grisette, which is pretty decent for a summer beer. (I get those two names confused)

Not yet, but I bet it's very good

Apache posted:

I'll be at Huna, and probably be hitting a few St Pete breweries on Friday before. They don't seem to be going as all out for this one as the last two. I'm not seeing any huge whale beers on the list this year, no Assassin or Manbearpig or the like on the list so far. I'd guess the biggest lines will be for the BA Dark Lord from 3 Floyds or the BA Imperial German Cupcake Stout from Angry Chair.

I'm glad of it, gently caress the big lines, the best way to do Huna day is just wander around and grab poo poo that sounds interesting

Apache
May 11, 2004

deadwing posted:

Not yet, but I bet it's very good

I'm glad of it, gently caress the big lines, the best way to do Huna day is just wander around and grab poo poo that sounds interesting

That's how I've been doing it since the event starting getting ticketed. I stood in line for Veil and something else last year, but they were under 5 minutes. I just laughed at the people in line for Voodoo, 3 Sons, and Toppling Goliath and drank stuff from Pohjala and the Wrecking Bar.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

deadwing posted:

I'm glad of it, gently caress the big lines, the best way to do any festival is just wander around and drink lagers

ftfy

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

deadwing posted:

I'm glad of it, gently caress the big lines, the best way to do any festival is just wander around and grab something from the shortest line

The real fix.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

And if the lines are equal, pick the highest abv one because you're at a beer festival and need to forget.

Or don't, because if it's high abv and not hyped it's probably bad.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 20, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

This is my strat too.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I'm going again. We'll definitely be hitting arkane and some others like 7th we missed last year. Leaving on Sunday though so not that day.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Klaus Kinski posted:

Or don't, because if it's high abv and not hyped it's probably bad.

I dont think this is a significant change from the hyped ones

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ive never been to a beer festival. Unless spending 30 mins inside a local liquor store deciding on if I should get a big stout I like or like, 24 pbrs for the same price counts.

I just can't decide!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I am now at a beer bar in Amsterdam that has a tap takeover from some brewery called Brussels Beer Project. The saison is perfectly fine and paired with the pile of meat and cheese I ate. They also have a mango dubbel that you can smell from three feet away. Dubbel was pretty unique and good in that regard.

I’m finishing up a Cantillion Kriek and briefly debated taking a train to Brussels for the day tomorrow to visit the brewery again but I think my time is better spent wandering around Amsterdam.

I did pick up some 375ml Cantillion and 3F pretty easily for my stay here that I’ll consume before leaving.

No fat English people at the bar I’m at, fortunately.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

my friend brought me back a bunch of rad lambic from Beer Temple a few years back; maybe check them out if you need more

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

my friend brought me back a bunch of rad lambic from Beer Temple a few years back; maybe check them out if you need more

Basement of De Bierkoning around the corner from there also had a killer selection of lambic. They sell Westy without an outrageous markup too.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Speaking of lagers, saw that the Ardent Pilsner is on the list for Huna Day, is the brewery sending anyone to the fest or just kegs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Ive never been to a beer festival. Unless spending 30 mins inside a local liquor store deciding on if I should get a big stout I like or like, 24 pbrs for the same price counts.

I just can't decide!

I volunteered at the same craft beer fest in Boston twice in consecutive years. The first year was pretty cool. I was one of the monitors just there to make sure that people weren't getting carried away, and the lead for our area was chill. The second was a letdown because the lead in charge of my area was paranoid, insisted on closely monitoring each booths pours and actually sent people over from other areas to check how we were doing, if he wasn't repeatedly coming over himself. I was also instructed to face towards a specific booth (guess what, they were pouring slightly over the line in the sample glass ooooh) and the brewer from the booth next to that pulled me aside to tell me I was creeping him out since I was continually looking in that direction.

I haven't been back since.