Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Apparently the "Not Your Father's..." brand isn't as lucrative as it once was so they're basically using the Pabst name on poo poo that would have been NYF releases. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Apparently the "Not Your Father's..." brand isn't as lucrative as it once was so they're basically using the Pabst name on poo poo that would have been NYF releases. Huh.

Maybe their like weird rear end "Alien trying to blend into society" style branding of "Small Town Brewery" didn't pay off

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

danbanana posted:

I liked their Ginger Ale way more than I wanted to. Good to know they're maybe not long for the world overall.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nth Doctor posted:

I liked their Ginger Ale way more than I wanted to. Good to know they're maybe not long for the world overall.

Oh I wasn't saying that they're killing the brand or whatever. I just think it's funny that PABST COFFEE would have been NOT YOUR FATHERS COFFEE a couple years ago so maybe there's a shift in what they feel is the stronger brand for something like this.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Not Your Father's Starbucks Double Shot

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Not Your Little Sister's Pumpkin Spice Latte

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I learned about mini beer in Louisiana and that is what Ill be having tonight

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

the new pbr skus just get more and more confusing

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I know this is going to come as a surprise to everyone but the Allagash/Dupont collab saison is very good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

danbanana posted:

saison is very good.

:yeah:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

deadwing posted:

I'm gonna put autocrat coffee syrup in that :cheers:

I guess Gansett isn't making their coffee milk stout anymore?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/OffcolorBrewing/status/1119670196380274688?s=19

"Polar S'Moretex."

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I was in Healdsburg over the weekend to drink wine. I did have one pint of Pliny and it’s still the best DIPA alongside Galaxy Double Daisy Cutter.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Was struck with a sudden craving for Arrogant Bastard and in the age of 16 dollar four packs, 12 bucks for a sixer of pounders of a beer that used to be a 5 dollar bomber feels like a goddamn steal

Tonight I'm drinking like it's 2010 :buddy:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I visited my folks in Ohio and boy does Northwest Ohio have some real bad NEIPAs and Brut IPAs, but they got some solid black IPAs and bocks. I am in a time machine and it feels nice.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

Was struck with a sudden craving for Arrogant Bastard and in the age of 16 dollar four packs, 12 bucks for a sixer of pounders of a beer that used to be a 5 dollar bomber feels like a goddamn steal

Tonight I'm drinking like it's 2010 :buddy:

I did the same thing a few months ago and my 2018 palette thought "woah this is a lovely barleywine"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2019/04/weyerbacher-brewing-files-for-bankruptcy-announces-new-ownership-structure.html

One of my area's original craft Brewers filled chapter 11; a lot of the Lehigh Valley's beer scene can trace back to them or Fegley's in some way. It's a shame, but seeing Weyerbacher are in 23 states, they definitely are in the middle ground that's been having a tough time in the past few years.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2019/04/weyerbacher-brewing-files-for-bankruptcy-announces-new-ownership-structure.html

One of my area's original craft Brewers filled chapter 11; a lot of the Lehigh Valley's beer scene can trace back to them or Fegley's in some way. It's a shame, but seeing Weyerbacher are in 23 states, they definitely are in the middle ground that's been having a tough time in the past few years.

Ah poo poo, Weyerbacher owns. What a bummer :smith:

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Ugh, that sucks. I literally have some mellow monks in my fridge right now. They used to sell a mixed case of 9%+ beers that included Blithering Idiot. That made me learn to appreciate barleywines.

Conshohocken brewery is rapidly expanding in the area (SE PA). I’m afraid they’re going to end up like Modern Times and have to start selling off shares.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Secret Machine posted:

Conshohocken brewery is rapidly expanding in the area (SE PA). I’m afraid they’re going to end up like Modern Times and have to start selling off shares.

I enjoyed their stuff in draft when I went to their place in Phoenixville, but the cans of ESB I bought did not travel. Sky Fox was similar when my wife and I went there for lunch, the difference between what we had directly from the brewery and what's for sale at home/at my local bar has never been so vast.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Secret Machine posted:

They used to sell a mixed case of 9%+ beers

Kind of sensing a theme on why they're having business struggles

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I loved Sunday Morning Stout and was upset they weren't putting it out this year and now I know why. I used to open a bottle every Sunday morning there was an F1 race on and I've had to settle for KBS which has been garbage for awhile now.

I even had a 1/6 barrel of SMS one year and it was awesome.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MunchE posted:

Kind of sensing a theme on why they're having business struggles

Counterpoint: Flying Fish has a bunch of high-abv beers and they do pretty well.

lmao they sell a Blueberry Braggot that's 15% in a 6-pack for like, $12.99

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Some times you just wanna get completely smashed in 2 beers.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I saw another article that went deeper into Weyerbachers problems; they took up a ton of debt to build a big new brewhouse and expand their capacity, and were counting on maintaining double-digit growth every year to afford it. Shockingly that didn't happen.

The new owners mentioned trying to use the extra capacity to do contract brewing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see big changes to their lineup. The road to big beer bucks is no longer paved with barleywines and quads.

In other news, Demented Brewing in New Jersey finally shut down. From what I've heard the owner was having a lot of mental health and substance abuse issues (people in the tap room reported him blacking out, screaming at and firing all his employees, and not remembering it the next day) and didn't pay any taxes for 5+ years.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Toebone posted:

In other news, Demented Brewing in New Jersey finally shut down. From what I've heard the owner was having a lot of mental health and substance abuse issues (people in the tap room reported him blacking out, screaming at and firing all his employees, and not remembering it the next day) and didn't pay any taxes for 5+ years.

Well yeah, it was right there in the name.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've had 3 or 4 beers from Demented that I can remember and none of them were better than "ok."

I also wouldn't lose a ton of sleep if Carton stopped being so inexplicably popular here.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I like Carton but I feel like they're still riding on goodwill from Boat being so good when it first arrived. I never buy their stuff in stores because it all feels $5 more expensive then I'm willing to pay (but I'm just grumpy about beer prices in general these days)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I drank so much Boat. That beer used to be so good. It might still be good. I just haven’t had it in forever.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah, boat is great, but they've kind of burned a lot of goodwill in the last year or so. None of their new beers have been anything extraordinary but they've been steadily increasing prices. I think their winter warmer ale was like $22 for 4 12oz cans.

The best thing about Carton was their little beef with Stillwater, because Yacht, Sit Down Son, and Stay Down are all fantastic.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Another brewery that lost its 15 min of fame quickly. Can't think of anything standing out for them after Gose Gone Wild

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

air- posted:

Another brewery that lost its 15 min of fame quickly. Can't think of anything standing out for them after Gose Gone Wild

I freaking love Extra Dry and Classique (which tbh might be the only two beers I've had by him).

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Stillwater Extra Dry is phenomenal

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

air- posted:

The Bottle King by me routinely has like 10 of their beers, and they're usually dirt cheap too. Like <$10 for Extra Dry, Super Hop, Wavvy, Stateside, Insetto and Cellar Door, among others.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

ChiTownEddie posted:

I freaking love Extra Dry and Classique (which tbh might be the only two beers I've had by him).
Classique is phenomenal and given that Brian travels around the world on a personal drug trip going to cool concerts and being friends with Action Bronson I'm guessing he's probably fine with how things have turned out.

Tried our friendly pickle friends pilsner Fat Ma yesterday and I liked it but wasn't crazy about it like Ardents. VA goon wins this battle.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Damnit now I want to go spend $60 on Stillwater but I just spent $80 on various beer last night :(

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Guys, there's 0% abv Hienikens now. Brb will report

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So it's barley water.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Every single time I visit Ohio I get upset I can't get Fat Heads Head Hunter in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

air- posted:

They're not really a brewery though? They contract brew and do "collabs".

Their session fruited sour / kettle sour collabs with Dugges (like, Tropic Thunder) sold really, really well in Europe, but the sour craze has died down quite a bit over here now.