Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Tropic Thunder is great. Extra Dry is fantastic. I’ve had a bunch of recent Stillwater stuff and most of it is just OK. The beer/wine hybrids they did a few months ago were pretty interesting and I’d probably buy them if the price wasn’t so absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

So it's barley water.

Yes, yes it was. Like an even waterier Hieniken.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Classique is phenomenal and given that Brian travels around the world on a personal drug trip going to cool concerts and being friends with Action Bronson I'm guessing he's probably fine with how things have turned out.

Tried our friendly pickle friends pilsner Fat Ma yesterday and I liked it but wasn't crazy about it like Ardents. VA goon wins this battle.

What pils?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Fat Lou posted:

Every single time I visit Ohio I get upset I can't get Fat Heads Head Hunter in Chicago.

If you're unfortunate enough to find yourself in Cleveland, check out their new facility in Middleburg Heights on your way into or out of town. It's right off of 71, and it's a very nice spot.

You're not exactly hurting for good beer in Chicago, though.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Guys, there's 0% abv Hienikens now. Brb will report

As NA beer goes, it's one of the better ones. Tried a bunch during dry January and Heineken, Bitburger Drive were head and shoulders better than the rest. Most of them have this "worty" taste that makes them cloying and gross.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Mikkellers weird weather is pretty good for being 0%.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
These 0% ABV Beers(Water) just made me wanna drink a regular beer. I've never been so upset when drinking a Heineken then when I actually drink Heineken.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Uzés (Oak Aged Saison) from Separatist Beer Project is not very good. It's got all the buzzwords right: oak, spelt, brett, lacto, champagne, rustic. Corked and capped in a weirdo green bottle. At least they know their marketing.

The aroma is mild and mostly just vaguely bretty, like they tossed in bottle dregs from a bunch of beers they liked and ended up with the least interesting parts of all of them completely wiping out whatever character the saison yeast had to begin with. It feels like a beginners effort. Something I would make. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I think they were going for a white wine thing, but it's green apples with a hint of sour gym socks, but not good gym socks like in Funky Gold from Prairie.

The sourness is over the top for a saison, and while it does not smell too much like vinegar the sourness has the harshness of acetic acid and gives you that lingering itchy sensation in your throat and a light headache. If you want something this sour, do your tongue a favor and just get a kettle sour from Dugges instead. It will go down a lot easier.

No head retention. Medium carb, which is forgivable, but disappointing. No oak or hop character to speak of.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 24, 2019

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

thotsky posted:

Uzés (Oak Aged Saison) from Separatist Beer Project is not very good. It's got all the buzzwords right: oak, spelt, brett, lacto, champagne, rustic. Corked and capped in a weirdo green bottle. At least they know their marketing.

The aroma is mild and mostly just vaguely bretty, like they tossed in bottle dregs from a bunch of beers they liked and ended up with the least interesting parts of all of them completely wiping out whatever character the saison yeast had to begin with. It feels like a beginners effort. Something I would make. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I think they were going for a white wine thing, but it's green apples with a hint of sour gym socks, but not good gym socks like in Funky Gold from Prairie.

The sourness is over the top for a saison, and while it does not smell too much like vinegar the sourness has the harshness of acetic acid and gives you that lingering itchy sensation in your throat and a light headache. If you want something this sour, do your tongue a favor and just get a kettle sour from Dugges instead. It will go down a lot easier.

No head retention. Medium carb, which is forgivable, but disappointing. No oak or hop character to speak of.

4.2/5

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

5 stars on Untappd and a comment: "Thanks Mike"

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
For real, it's sitting at 3.97 and Bam Biere is 3.69. Tickers are wacko. This beer can't touch Bam.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I was at the beer store today and saw they had a ton of KBS which I have only heard about, so I picked up a bottle and it’s...not great? Mine tastes pretty boozy off the bat and just not completely what I was expecting. Should this beer hang out in the cellar for a bit or is it just not good this year?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

thotsky posted:

For real, it's sitting at 3.97 and Bam Biere is 3.69. Tickers are wacko. This beer can't touch Bam.

Jolly Pumpkin has not been particularly good or consistent in their product for at least 3, maybe 4 years at this point and I'm not sure Bam was a >3.75 beer back then, let alone today.

They made a NEIPA a couple months back as their first ever non-sour and it was terrible. :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nwin posted:

I was at the beer store today and saw they had a ton of KBS which I have only heard about, so I picked up a bottle and it’s...not great? Mine tastes pretty boozy off the bat and just not completely what I was expecting. Should this beer hang out in the cellar for a bit or is it just not good this year?

I don't drink hard liquor at all, so any barrel-aged beer is invariably ruined for me because the beer flavors are massively overpowered by the bourbon/whiskey/rum/tequila flavor.

But yeah I noticed like 3 stores by me have tons of KBS this year.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Jolly Pumpkin has not been particularly good or consistent in their product for at least 3, maybe 4 years at this point and I'm not sure Bam was a >3.75 beer back then, let alone today.

I just don't spend that sort of money on single beers anymore. Binny's had Sobrehumano on sale for like $9 and I passed (mostly because the rebrews haven't touched the original).

But it's one of those things where "did these guys drop in quality or is everything else just better?" Because I really believe poo poo is just better today.

Except haze. That poo poo is almost universally terrible.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like booze and I like beer. I like booze flavored beer but not beer flavored booze.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

beer flavored booze.

Is this a thing? It sounds pointless and gross.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

danbanana posted:

:getout:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

danbanana posted:

:hmmyes:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mikkeller and omnipollo has a thing where they put rum into barrels used for aging beer so kinda? They are not very good because the base rum is garbage.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have never not been blown away by how balanced Bam Biere is. It has seemed consistent to me. Certainly the big five/four have a lot of competition on the US sour scene these days, but I don't think they are necessarily any less good than they have been.

Jolly Pumpkin has a higher output and better distro then they used to so scarcity is no longer a thing...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You know what isn't gross? Beer and booze in each hand.

Rum n cokes and a pbr !

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

thotsky posted:

Jolly Pumpkin has a higher output and better distro then they used to so scarcity is no longer a thing...

I know you're on the other side of the Atlantic but that's never been a thing with JP. I think the only beers they've ever put out with any amount of "hype" were some of the Grand Reserve series maybe 5 or so years ago. Outside of that, they've always been a shelf brewery for their distro areas.

That's not an insult by the way; just that Sirotan's idea that they've taken a hit in quality isn't influenced by any scarcity or hype being lost. And she should know since they're in her backyard...

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Jameson Caskmates, they've got a stout and IPA variant. It's fine if you've already had 5+ drinks and don't care what you put in your mouth anymore.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I think several breweries have done the 'put spirits back in the barrel used for aging beer' thing, Deschutes and Ballast Point come to mind.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

dphi posted:

I think several breweries have done the 'put spirits back in the barrel used for aging beer' thing, Deschutes and Ballast Point come to mind.

New Holland does this with the Dragon's Milk Barrels, too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So what’s a good largely available stout that would taste like chocolate and/or coffee?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nwin posted:

So what’s a good largely available stout that would taste like chocolate and/or coffee?

Let me tell you about "pastry stouts"....

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve heard of those but are they just another gimmick? Or is that just a running joke in this thread?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nwin posted:

I’ve heard of those but are they just another gimmick? Or is that just a running joke in this thread?

Wait. You're concerned about gimmicks? Let me tell you about "craft beer"...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
In all seriousness, if you're looking for coffee/chocolate flavors, that's pretty standard for almost any stout you're going to find. It's also pretty common to find those ingredients actually added to the beer at some point in the process.

Where are you located?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure if there's a nationally distro'd adjunct heavy pastry stout? Maybe some of the newer bottles from Prairie?

e: in Boston, Trillium and Tree House stouts have all sorts of adjuncts. I've lost count of how many people are all :circlefap: over Double Shot

Avery Tweak and Prairie Bomb shouldn't be hard to find. If Alesmith gets out there, Vietnamese Coffee Speedway. All good coffee stouts.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 25, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

danbanana posted:

In all seriousness, if you're looking for coffee/chocolate flavors, that's pretty standard for almost any stout you're going to find. It's also pretty common to find those ingredients actually added to the beer at some point in the process.

Where are you located?

Boston.

Reason I’m asking is I mentioned earlier I tried the KBS and it was too boozy for me and maybe that’s because the casks it was in? I like bourbon on its own, not with my beer.

I remember having peche Mortel years ago and liked that, and I think I remember having left hand’s milk stout. I remember liking founders breakfast stout as well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nwin posted:

I remember having peche Mortel years ago and liked that, and I think I remember having left hand’s milk stout. I remember liking founders breakfast stout as well.

Yeah, Peche Mortel is the goddam poo poo. Founders Breakfast Stout is great but you shouldn't buy it because those people are racist assholes.

Basically, there should be a ton of coffee stouts on your shelves locally. For chocolate stouts, does Brooklyn still make Black Chocolate Stout? That was a jam back in the day (and ages pretty well).

You can also just hit some imperial stouts that are by you. Like I said, you're going to get coffee/chocolate out of most of those.

air- posted:

I'm not sure if there's a nationally distro'd adjunct heavy pastry stout?

How quickly we forget those who came first...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Oh gently caress right, Creme Brulee.... wiped that from my memory :yikes:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Yeah, brooklyn still makes black chocolate and at least here it's really cheap for a solid stout.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hmm maybe I’ll check that out. I picked up a Singlecut Eric to try that out too.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nwin posted:

It's not a joke to me! :qq:

Seekabrew tells me that youre getting some Alesmith out there? Alesmith has amazing stouts. The variants of Speedway are insane and many of them are top notch. If for what ever reason you ended up out west or had access to California beers, I would suggest some Belching Beaver Mexican Chocolate Stout or their Peanut Butter Stout and, if it's in season, their Horchatta Imperial Sout.

I also like Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Pretty good if you ask me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

nwin posted:

Boston.

Lamplighter's Werewolves of Cambridge

Idle Hands' Double Crossroader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You can get Regular rear end Framinghammer in cans now too, plus all the adjuncty ones too.