Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
entschuldigung, wie sagt man "grungeist"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Any NYC goons around for the holiday weekend?

Going brewery hopping around Gowanus/Red Hook on memorial day, planning to hit Threes, Folksbier, and possibly Other Half (lmao it'll probably be a poo poo show on a holiday huh) :yum:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Lies you don’t even like IPAs.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just looked it up on untapped. 3.85 rating. Sorry guys its actually garbage

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 23, 2019

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

funkybottoms posted:

entschuldigung, wie sagt man "grungeist"?

Grün Geist :ghost:

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

air- posted:

Any NYC goons around for the holiday weekend?

Going brewery hopping around Gowanus/Red Hook on memorial day, planning to hit Threes, Folksbier, and possibly Other Half (lmao it'll probably be a poo poo show on a holiday huh) :yum:

I’ll be in Maine, but if you are hitting all those, check out Svendale right around the corner from Folksbier. Newer, but everything I had there was good (though this was after saison day at threes)

Other half’s expansion has helped a lot, so as long as you aren’t planning on getting there in the morning for a specific release you should be good.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I’ll be in Maine, but if you are hitting all those, check out Svendale right around the corner from Folksbier. Newer, but everything I had there was good (though this was after saison day at threes)

Other half’s expansion has helped a lot, so as long as you aren’t planning on getting there in the morning for a specific release you should be good.

What styles are done well at Svendale? Their site looks sparse and in general doesn't look like there's much info about them.

And nah not interested in lugging cans back, this is just doing a small crawl.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
In Dallas for a 5 hour layover today. I should have time to hit one spot - what should it be?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Slore Tactician posted:

In Dallas for a 5 hour layover today. I should have time to hit one spot - what should it be?

I'm assuming Love Field? Check the draft lists at Braindead or Peticolas

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

air- posted:

I'm assuming Love Field? Check the draft lists at Braindead or Peticolas

DFW. Also looking for BBQ. I realize Dallas isn’t great for it, but hey! Any suggestions are welcome.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

air- posted:

What styles are done well at Svendale? Their site looks sparse and in general doesn't look like there's much info about them.

And nah not interested in lugging cans back, this is just doing a small crawl.

They had a nice keller on when I was there, as well as a sour made with cascara.

As far as I understand it, they have been brewing a while upstate but decided to open a taproom there.

Not an absolute “must visit” with everything else around that area, but easy to drop in if you walk between folksbier and threes!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Off Color and Metropolitan are releasing a weird collab tomorrow:

quote:

Squee! is a traditional, unfiltered Czech style zwickel pils fermented with a blend of native, wild cultures and pure cell lager yeast, blended with foedre aged wild ale... What that really means is we pulled around 5 hL of a wild ale that had been aging in one of our Barolo foedres for 8 months with native yeasts harvested from blueberry skins and put it in a tank the night before we brewed 20 hL of pilsner wort with all our Metro friends in order to inoculate an otherwise traditional lager beer with wild cultures so it would ferment with both that and pure lager yeast. Then we took that tank and transferred it to the bright tank on top of a bit more foedre beer.
Yeah, I think I might try and swing by...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Slore Tactician posted:

DFW. Also looking for BBQ. I realize Dallas isn’t great for it, but hey! Any suggestions are welcome.

Head to Deep Ellum and hit Braindead + Pecan Lodge. Maybe you'll get lucky with the timing and you can hit Pecan Lodge at an off peak time.

Best bet to avoid missing your flight is Lyft/Uber/cab over trying to finesse DART light rail timing.

air- fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 23, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

Off Color and Metropolitan are releasing a weird collab tomorrow:

Yeah, I think I might try and swing by...

so off color hosed with the best lager on the planet. this is extremely my poo poo... but i'd put my chances at getting out there to try it at like 10%.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hey folks. Doing a long weekend in Denver over memorial day. Staying in RiNo - which breweries and taprooms should I prioritize, which are missable? Ratio and Our Mutual Friend are currently top of my list, for reference, but I'm open to changing that.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

danbanana posted:

so off color hosed with the best lager on the planet. this is extremely my poo poo... but i'd put my chances at getting out there to try it at like 10%.

If it’s anything like the high life collab, I’m gonna be all over it the second I get back to IL.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Jester King with the ultimate collaboration: Le Petit Prince and Real Ale Hans Pils :cheerdoge: :homebrew:

https://twitter.com/jesterkingbeer/status/1131603267836944390

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

Hey folks. Doing a long weekend in Denver over memorial day. Staying in RiNo - which breweries and taprooms should I prioritize, which are missable? Ratio and Our Mutual Friend are currently top of my list, for reference, but I'm open to changing that.

OMF is great. Bierstadt is great. Ratio is usually pretty good. Odell has a relatively new experimental taproom that is worth checking out. Crooked Stave is a little further if that's your sort of thing. Finn's Manor usually has a pretty good taplist (and is right across the street from Ratio and always has food trucks). And if you decide to venture further out in other parts of Denver, then Cerebral, Black Project, Fiction, TRVE, Intrepid Sojourner, and Crafty Fox Taphouse.

14er, Mockery, Epic, Great Divide Barrel Bar (all in RiNo) can be skipped, in my opinion

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

NoU posted:

OMF is great. Bierstadt is great. Ratio is usually pretty good. Odell has a relatively new experimental taproom that is worth checking out. Crooked Stave is a little further if that's your sort of thing. Finn's Manor usually has a pretty good taplist (and is right across the street from Ratio and always has food trucks). And if you decide to venture further out in other parts of Denver, then Cerebral, Black Project, Fiction, TRVE, Intrepid Sojourner, and Crafty Fox Taphouse.

14er, Mockery, Epic, Great Divide Barrel Bar (all in RiNo) can be skipped, in my opinion

Great Divide is worth it for the Yeti variants and its also right next to a really good whiskey bar

Wynkoop is pretty mediocre, Jagged Mountain is worth stopping if you see it but not really worth going out of your way for

Also theres apparently a sake company near the 38th/blake stop?? when the gently caress did that get there???

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Great Divide is also a 4-minute walk from 2 of my favorite dispensaries in the area, Denver Recreational and Ballpark Holistics, if :420: is your thing

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
A filtered non-hazy IPA brewed in New England in 2019? Don’t mind if I do.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I miss the Portland beers I had:smith:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

e: wrong thread :(

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

e: wrong thread :(

Was this about cigars or headphones?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like both those things. I OCCASIONALLY DRINK BEER WHILE ENJOYING THEM!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im afraid youre not allowed to like cigars until you acknowledge that the cigar community is much more welcoming

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

sorry, what were you saying? i was watching Adventure Time with my headphones on

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So I guess some breweries haven't contributed back to Sierra Nevada camp fire relief fund, for which the "Resilience IPA' recipe was given to hundred of breweries in exchange for them contributing all the profits back.

quote:

Some beer community members took issue with Grossman “calling out” the fact that brewers have not yet sent their contributions. However, at press time, no brewery or individual was named. Grossman simply states that in order to continue the work of the organization, Sierra Nevada needs that money it was promised, and soon.

First of all, what kind of poo poo person is white knighting a brewery that haven't paid in for the recipe? Secondly, why even join in to brew the beer if you don't have the ability to pay in? I hope those breweries are name and shamed.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Say whaa. Maybe these ding dongs might have spent the profits from the kegs and are too chicken poo poo to come forward with it. Maybe, royally hosed up the recipe so bad nothing sold and are too embarrassed to admit it?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
To be fair, it's 2019 and the recipe had 10% crystal malt and was hopped with just cascade and centennial. I would believe that no one bought it if it was listed next to an average hazeboi.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 25, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Metropolitan Javatron on nitro is the perfect brunch beer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hackensack Brewing posted:

Introducing our newest release: Black Fog, a Black New England Style Double IPA. We started by switching up our water profile to accentuate the soft mouthfeel of a New England Style IPA. We kept our malt bill the same and while we still loaded up HEAVY on Cascade and El Dorado hops, we flipped the script and used London Fog Ale Yeast for our fermentation...a strain that accentuates both malt and hop flavors and aromas, while maintaining that velvety mouthfeel.

Oh cool I was wondering what my plans were for the day

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wanna try a black neipa

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wanna try a black neipa

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

What's wrong with black IPAs?

Black lagers too :swoon:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I strive for chaos

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What's wrong with black IPAs?

Black lagers too :swoon:

Nothing about lagered beers implies color. Black pale ales, however, makes no goddamn sense. And also they're almost universally terrible.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

danbanana posted:

Nothing about lagered beers implies color. Black pale ales, however, makes no goddamn sense. And also they're almost universally terrible.

I've had several black IPAs and lagers that I quite enjoyed, whether or not they made sense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I spent all morning working in the yard and garden beds. Took a post-lunch walk to the corner party store and came back with Oddside Ales' Mosaic Dank Juice which was fantastic straight out of the can while showering. The best possible choice from the cooler, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've had several black IPAs and lagers that I quite enjoyed, whether or not they made sense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nobody is debating the validity of black lagers

real stoked about the schwarzbier i brewed last week; too bad it's gonna be like five more weeks before it's ready