Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

nobody is debating the validity of black lagers

I literally called one perfect earlier today in this forum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh cool I was wondering what my plans were for the day
*saves Hackensack Brewing on his gmaps as “want to visit”*

*notices it’s practically next door to an Alementary Brewing that somebody recommended to him a while back (maybe thread, maybe coworker?)*

Well ok! I guess I’m gonna check out the Pascack Valley Line sometime.

Speaking of northern NJ microbrews, anyone been to (or thinking of checking out) Montclair Brewing in Lower Montclair? I just moved nearby but haven’t had time/inclination to visit yet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

danbanana posted:

I literally called one perfect earlier today in this forum!

I mean I get the naming inconsistency in "black pale ale"

bitprophet posted:

*saves Hackensack Brewing on his gmaps as “want to visit”*

*notices it’s practically next door to an Alementary Brewing that somebody recommended to him a while back (maybe thread, maybe coworker?)*

Well ok! I guess I’m gonna check out the Pascack Valley Line sometime.

Speaking of northern NJ microbrews, anyone been to (or thinking of checking out) Montclair Brewing in Lower Montclair? I just moved nearby but haven’t had time/inclination to visit yet.

It is almost literally next door to Alementary. There's also Brix City about 10 minutes away.

HMU if you want a drinking buddy if you head out here!

e: also Ghost Hawk in Clifton just opened, Magnify in Fairview, Departed Soles in Jersey City

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 25, 2019

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

quote:

From The Livermore Herald on January 19, 1901:

Frightful Death of Wendell Jordan

Scalded in a Vat of Boiling Malt. His Foot Evidently Slipped While Cleaning a Tank Above and He Fell to His Death.
One of the most terrible accidents that has ever occurred in Livermore, deprived the town on Thursday of one of its most respected citizens, Wendell Jordan.
Mr. Jordan was a brewer by occupation and had been accustomed always to give personal attention to the details of his business. Thursday forenoon he was engaged in brewing with his assistant, Carl Granitz, and had set the malt to cooking. While it was boiling Mr. Jordan started to clean out a small tank situated above and to one side of the vat. About this time Granitz stepped out of the room to get a drink of water. As he was returning he heard a stifled cry and splash and hastened in to find that his employer had fallen into the seething cauldron. Whether his foot slipped or whether he had an attack of vertigo will never be known.
Granitz rushed to the street and summoned assistance. He then, turned the faucet and drained off the boiling mass. While it was slowly flowing out, T. E. Knox, F. Thompson and others started in to rescue the body. This was done with much labor and inconvenience, Mr. Thompson scalding his hands severely in the work. When the unfortunate man was laid on the platform he gave a final gasp and expired.
The flesh was literally cooked and the features were so badly disfigured as to be unrecognizable. Although death was not instantaneous it is likely that the fatal plunge was not attended by any suffering as he must have become unconscious the moment he came in contact with the boiling malt as he evidently struck head first.
Although Mrs. Jordan was in her rooms in the second story of the building, she knew nothing of the awful affair until some time after the body was recovered. She was prostrated over the dread tidings as was her daughter, Miss Ada, when brought from school and told as gently as possibly that she had been so suddenly and awfully bereft of an idolized father.
Funeral services will be held at Masonic hall today (Saturday) at 3 PM under the auspices of Mosaic Lodge, No. 218, F. and A. M. The remains will be taken to San Francisco Sunday morning where they will be cremated at the Odd Fellows Crematory. A delegation of members of Mosaic Lodge will accompany the remains.
Mr. Jordan was an unusually public spirited citizen. He was one of the organizers of the Livermore Fire Department and was a foreman for over twenty years. He also served the town as a Trustee for several terms and was chairman of the Board for two years. He was as careful in administering the affairs of the town as he was in conducting his own business and retired to private life enjoying the confidence and esteem of the whole community.
Deceased was a member of the Masons, Odd Fellows and Hermann Sons.
Mr. Jordan was known as a very charitable man. He was never to resist an appeal for aid when the case was deserving and he was ever foremost in all contributions to public enterprises having for their object the betterment of the town, industrially or socially.
If is doubtful if a person ever died in Livermore who will be more universally regretted than Mr. Jordan. If he had an enemy in the community we never heard of it. The expressions on all sides indicate that the town has sustained a loss in the death of this worthy man which will never be replaced.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

It's a shame they drained the wort, a live human sacrifice is the final frontier of adjuncts

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Flunky posted:

It's a shame they drained the wort, a live human sacrifice is the final frontier of adjuncts

The haziness is people!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

you guys, I tried the GABF silver winner for Juicy/Hazy IPA from Kros Strain in Nebraska. The beer in very 2019 beer naming is DDH Fairy Nectar London but I don't know what dark arts they used to get so god drat much aroma out of this beer. Unlike most hazy type beers the hops are actually bright and pop and the beer doesn't linger cloyingly on the palate. I don't know how far they go out of Nebraska but as a jaded old beer nerd who drinks IPA all the time this one really impressed me.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

The forbidden ipa

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Cheers to the several folks who recommended Dieu du Ciel as the go-to in Montreal. We didn’t get through all 17 brews on tap, but the 14 we did sample were all top notch. Good food too for the kitchen being not much more than a toaster oven!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Weird question, is there a place where you can filter by both state of origin and beer style? Beeradvocate only lets you do one or the other at a given time. I saw one at a liquor store I was interested in, but I’m not going to be able to make it back to that store for another week or so, and I don’t remember the name of the brewery or beer.

It was a CO DIPA with very stylized (heavy linework, single color between each line) box art depicting a white owl or snow monster’s head or something. I think either the brewery or beer name had to do with snow.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
holy poo poo I found a 4 pack of Rayon Vert for 10$ and its from 2012. This is like christmas.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You could argue that black is still "pale" in one sense of the word because it's desaturated rather than vibrant in color.

I mean, no one ever would, but I'm just saying, you could.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seattle Brewery Cancels release of Crips and Bloods themed beer
https://thetakeout.com/mirage-brewery-crips-bloods-gang-beers-apology-1835065374

quote:

“Snitch Blood” and “Where You From” were set to be the brewery’s two newest releases, and if you’re up on your American gang signifiers, you recognize that Mirage was planning to release a pair of Crips and Bloods beers, complete with rival bandanna designs.

I love it, no one ever learns.

https://twitter.com/beerkulture/status/1133050832738553857

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ChiTownEddie posted:

holy poo poo I found a 4 pack of Rayon Vert for 10$ and its from 2012. This is like christmas.

Handle With Care!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Podima posted:

Handle With Care!

So far 2/2 without gushing!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Dempster notes that “they were cavalierly created in poor taste, and I feel awful that I hurt or angered anyone. I also want to thank members of the beer community for forcefully saying, ‘check your privilege,’ as I clearly needed that check. Your responses give me hope for this industry, and kept me from making an even bigger mistake: actually using those stupid labels and letting them hit shelves, where they could then hurt, anger, or disenfranchise anyone who passed them.”

YOU'RE THE ONE THAT DID THIS, YOU loving MORON

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
All the Brewers in here missed their chance to release Folded Flag pilsner last weekend

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

All the Brewers in here missed their chance to release Folded Flag pilsner last weekend

Press F American adjunct lager

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

Press F American adjunct lager

Lol

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Still waiting for my chance to get some of that Mexican Over the wall Hops DIPA.
:trumpsmug:

Serious Post: You guys should follow Beer Kulture as well.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Blind Tiger is a good bar. That is all.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Still waiting for my chance to get some of that Mexican Over the wall Hops DIPA.
:trumpsmug:

Serious Post: You guys should follow Beer Kulture as well.

Is he a good follow? I've only seen what seemed like faux outrage in an attempt to sell his book, maybe I'm just a dub though

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MunchE posted:

you guys, I tried the GABF silver winner for Juicy/Hazy IPA from Kros Strain in Nebraska. The beer in very 2019 beer naming is DDH Fairy Nectar London but I don't know what dark arts they used to get so god drat much aroma out of this beer. Unlike most hazy type beers the hops are actually bright and pop and the beer doesn't linger cloyingly on the palate. I don't know how far they go out of Nebraska but as a jaded old beer nerd who drinks IPA all the time this one really impressed me.

I have some bias but this is one of the best IPAs I've had recently. In <2 years these guys have become (IMO) the best brewery in the state. I don't think they have plans to expand too far from here anytime soon, though.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dphi posted:

Is he a good follow? I've only seen what seemed like faux outrage in an attempt to sell his book, maybe I'm just a dub though

He did just write a book tru. He does alot of speaking out on how the craft beer industry is obviously not very diverse and trying to get people to drink craft beer that have been considered "not the target demographic" aka not white peoples.

I don't wanna talk out my rear end I just find what he's doing pretty kewl :kiddo:

Craft beer is for everyone!

*takes sip from 12 year old celler beer
*barfs*

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Tree House are loving cowards

https://twitter.com/TreeHouseBrewCo/status/1133749490589065216?s=19

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Idgi

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh, they went from batch 68 to batch 70

Agreed, cowards.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Afraid of a number and yet we had a guy legit almost put out blood and crip named beers.

You cowards

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 30, 2019

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Afraid of a number and yet we had a guy legit almost put put blood and crip named beers.

You cowards

I honestly wonder if worstbeerblog is getting through to some of these breweries and they're scared of getting called out. There was a photoshop going around (can't remember if it was posted here) of a C69 label that would have been totally believable and resulted in some fun backlash so they probably didn't even want to take the risk as it was on everyone's radar.

I was disappointed that the guy from Courtyard brewing - which I really enjoyed when I was in NOLA last - came off like dumb chud in the comments of the gang beers post, making sure everyone knew they were cucks and/or snowflakes. Oh well, their beer doesn't make it here anyway.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cowards!

I would accept the windows OS format though.

"This is batch Vista. No wait, now its 7."
"What happened to 6?"

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Real Name Grover posted:

I have some bias but this is one of the best IPAs I've had recently. In <2 years these guys have become (IMO) the best brewery in the state. I don't think they have plans to expand too far from here anytime soon, though.

Pity they don’t have their IPAs in cans; I was curious about trying to do a trade but am hesitant to do so since they still use bottles for the above.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Went to Tired Hands this weekend and I still don't understand why people enjoy lactose IPAs. IT DOESN'T BELONG KEEP IT OUT

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oh, they went from batch 68 to batch 70

Agreed, cowards.

Maybe they actually made a batch 69 that was great in theory but no one ever finished it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

Maybe they actually made a batch 69 that was great in theory but no one ever finished it.

Ah,

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a mystery beer box from Vons today for :10bux: and it was full of Heineken light and random Sierra Nevadas.

And 3 mickeys grenades and 1 dos XX and 2 coors and 4 budlights.

Also 1 alesmith .394.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

the yellow dart posted:

Went to Tired Hands this weekend and I still don't understand why people enjoy lactose IPAs. IT DOESN'T BELONG KEEP IT OUT

I went to Other Half and had the same thought. Nearly every beer on tap had lactose.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Perhaps people still want their diabetus but are tired of drinking stouts?

Regarding tone-deaf bordering on terrible beer names and labels, a Rochester NY brewery, Three Heads Brewing, put out one a year or so ago.

I present to you Freddy D Lager. A beer to remember / tribute to the famous Rochester abolitionist.

What's so bad about this you may ask? Well Frederick Douglass was pro temperance movement and wrote many articles and speeches about how terrible alcohol was and it's connection to slave owners and slavery.

Perhaps plastering his face on a beer bottle is not the best idea. Their response was simple "We didn't know that but we're just trying to honor his Rochester legacy".

They continue to sell it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

What's so bad about this you may ask? Well Frederick Douglass was pro temperance movement and wrote many articles and speeches about how terrible alcohol was and it's connection to slave owners and slavery.

poo poo, even i knew that; wikipedia some poo poo before you name a beer, okay?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Boggled at how Threes has no hype, they felt like the NYC brewery getting slept on like Highland Park or St. Elmo. Other Half was not impressive whatsoever. Just like the previous post, lactose in pretty much everything, plus even their pilsner had an unpleasant sweetness.

Dropped by Blind Tiger last night and they had some outstanding tapes: Allagash FV13, Hill Farmstead Society And Solitude 8, and :allears: Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
threes doesn't make beer for people with the palate of a third grader, hence no hype. i love their foeder pils