Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Josh Wow posted:

My name is Joe Mauro. I am the founder of crypto brewery in Asheville NC. I am a biotech executive that has been an avid beer lover and visitor of Asheville, NC for a decade. I decided to finally open my hybrid model of craft brewery and crypto currency mining business. This model has received positive feedback from the ABA and I am now in search of a partner that will work on developing our brand and growing our business. I will be offering equity to this new partner along with a base salary when we start the operation of buildout. I am looking only for experienced brewers that have won local or national awards for their beer. I need someone that is a self motivator, personable and has the love of this as I do.

What if beer, but also blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I was browsing my bookmarks and thought I clicked the Bad With Money thread instead of the beer thread for a second

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
a screenshot was posted in the discord and the original post even had dude's phone number and email address, which was from a .io domain. shocker.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

NFT stands for Nice Fermented Tokens

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Still kind of bummed its been a year+ and I haven't had a beer in person from my favorite brewery. Membershipped up+ buying regularly, but that beer hit different 20 feet from where it was brewed.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I just bought a LUKR czech side pull beer faucet. Completely unnecessary but I don't care.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

atothesquiz posted:

I just bought a LUKR czech side pull beer faucet. Completely unnecessary but I don't care.

Slow pour pics please :stwoon:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

air- posted:

Slow pour pics please :stwoon:

Slow pour?! No need to go slow with a lukr! Drop the head, fast pour underneath!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

we got some Czech side-pull faucets and i hate them; i will actually switch a keg to a normal line to pour myself a shift beer

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I don't mind a side-pull either. Plop out an inch of head in the mug, fill with beer underneath. Easy.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I think I'll find it more of a hassle trying to keep it clean. Like if I only pour one beer or intend on having another and forget to go back to take the screen out and rinse it.

We'll see though!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Blueberry Muffin by Great Notion is good submit post

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Are mini cans a thing now? Evil Twin had a bunch of little 8 oz cans of barrel aged quad for $10 each at the liquor store today

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Toebone posted:

Are mini cans a thing now? Evil Twin had a bunch of little 8 oz cans of barrel aged quad for $10 each at the liquor store today

Lots of breweries have been trying to figure out the "people don't want to open 20+oz of 15%+ beer" problem, minicans are the latest attempt at it (and honestly the best thus far). 375mls were really annoying to store, 500mls were still too much unless your tolerance was horrifying, and regular 12-16oz cans had the same problem of being too much of a good thing.

The Bruery's started doing it with some of their special sets (e.g. the "virtual release party" was 6 8oz cans of different Black Tuesday variants), and honestly it's great.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Threes here has also started doing it for their stouts, and it's really just the right size serving for anything 10%+; I mean I wouldn't want a full can of any whatever and whatever RIS I can think of. The beers are big, the cans are small.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
The two Chicago breweries that were using those cans apparently can’t get more due to the can shortage. One was using it for stouts. I generally prefer 12oz cans so I can split with my wife, but it was nice to have a smaller oz option too.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I saw a 4-pack of 8oz cans from Hoppin Frog today for $19.99.

That loving brewery. My god.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Mahoning posted:

I saw a 4-pack of 8oz cans from Hoppin Frog today for $19.99.

That loving brewery. My god.

JW Lees charging $25 for the same. Although those beers are from 2015.

Edit: I think Wolf's Ridge was charging $16 per 8oz bottle for their English BW they put out earlier this year. OhiO!

Double edit: Maybe I read it wrong and it was that much for the whole 4-pack, which would make much more sense imo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Does Aslin make anything worth trying that isn’t a pastry stout? They’ve made their way up here for distribution and I’ve been seeing some of their brews around.

They're local to me and honestly even their freshest IPA's just don't really do it for me. I mean they make some things that aren't bad, but they're kinda expensive and not amazing. Rarely even worthwhile.

Speaking of IPAs...
Happy National Beer Day

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

verdict? we changed the yeast strain (again), but it's still one of my least-favorite beers we make. it's the owner's hop combo, though, so we keep trying...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
It's not bad but nothing really stands out. I'm not disappointed, but it's no Summit IPA.

It kinda tastes like a grocery store version of a major brand. Like Coke vs "Great Value Cola"

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

fair enough, ha. it was undrinkable with the previous yeast strain, but it's far better with this one (London Fog). i think the other problem is that galaxy hops need just the right combination to shine, but this isn't it. brewing Altamont today, which is one of the better ones.

did you get the most recent batch of Summit? we totally reworked that beer; new hops and yeast than previous iterations. also, you get this up there? wasn't sure any made it out of RVA.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

fair enough, ha. it was undrinkable with the previous yeast strain, but it's far better with this one (London Fog). i think the other problem is that galaxy hops need just the right combination to shine, but this isn't it. brewing Altamont today, which is one of the better ones.

did you get the most recent batch of Summit? we totally reworked that beer; new hops and yeast than previous iterations. also, you get this up there? wasn't sure any made it out of RVA.

Nope. Been asking about it but haven't seen it around.
I'm curious, what's your take on BackBay Brewing?
I've had a few things from them that were pretty good, but just today had a Gose that blew me out of the water.

To be fair I didn't really have any expectations, and I'm not huge on Gose to begin with.

This however:

is absolute trash.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i've avoided Back Bay since the early stuff was pretty rough- they cycled through a bunch of brewers early on- but i've heard that's they've really turned it around and are putting out a lot of decent beers now. Solace, however, is definitely bad and i've never heard anyone say otherwise.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I really love this label.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
that back bay gose sounds pretty interesting but i these days i have an instant kneejerk revulsion to seeing lactose on a label

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

that back bay gose sounds pretty interesting but i these days i have an instant kneejerk revulsion to seeing lactose on a label

Same. I’ve just stopped buying anything with lactose on the label unless it’s specifically a pastry stout or some other dumb gimmick that I need to try. They’re putting it in so many beers now and I’m just over it. Brew a normal IPA. Stop putting lactose in everything.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

I was going to poo poo post about that last night. You just don’t put lactose in a beer made with a bacteria that eats lactose. Or a gose.

There’s a brewery recipe from S. Korea in Fal Allen’s Gose book that does coriander and Yuju (yuzu) but the lactose is just not necessary.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The owner of a local comic/gaming shop died last year, and a nearby brewery just put out a lager with the store's name :canada::

Their hibiscus sour is one of my favourites.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

i've avoided Back Bay since the early stuff was pretty rough- they cycled through a bunch of brewers early on- but i've heard that's they've really turned it around and are putting out a lot of decent beers now. Solace, however, is definitely bad and i've never heard anyone say otherwise.

Yeah I stuck with it on the BackBay but 'rough start' is putting it lightly. It's been kinda fun so see them make such huge improvements though.
I'm trying to think of one Solace beer that I've really enjoyed and I just can't. I don't know why I keep trying...

Jhet posted:

I was going to poo poo post about that last night. You just don’t put lactose in a beer made with a bacteria that eats lactose. Or a gose.

There’s a brewery recipe from S. Korea in Fal Allen’s Gose book that does coriander and Yuju (yuzu) but the lactose is just not necessary.

yeah but on the plus side my tummy isn't upset so I'm not mad.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Same. I’ve just stopped buying anything with lactose on the label unless it’s specifically a pastry stout or some other dumb gimmick that I need to try. They’re putting it in so many beers now and I’m just over it. Brew a normal IPA. Stop putting lactose in everything.
This 100%. I usually avoid any IPA that says Lactose, even by "good" brewers unless I've been specifically recommended it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 10, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone is on the west coast, can someone tell me why people got so hyped over Knee Deep back in the day? I grew up in the Sacramento valley working in a restaurant, so I served it all the time, but I was too young to understand what made it special beyond it being very hoppy.

Even now I hear beer people talk about a specific person from there who made a brewery in Northern Nevada after splitting. Is this just dumb-poo poo regional drama, or did these breweries actually do something special? I know nothing of making beer, so don't be afraid of talking down to me.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Blue Labrador posted:

If anyone is on the west coast, can someone tell me why people got so hyped over Knee Deep back in the day? I grew up in the Sacramento valley working in a restaurant, so I served it all the time, but I was too young to understand what made it special beyond it being very hoppy.

Even now I hear beer people talk about a specific person from there who made a brewery in Northern Nevada after splitting. Is this just dumb-poo poo regional drama, or did these breweries actually do something special? I know nothing of making beer, so don't be afraid of talking down to me.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought that Jeremy Warren worked at Russian River for a bit. I was mistaken. Regardless, both breweries make very good west coast IPA. Well, Knee Deep used to make good west coast IPAs.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 11, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fat Lou posted:

Well, Knee Deep used to make good west coast IPAs.

This is my take too, Knee Deep was making great west coast IPAs when we didn't know a NE IPA was an option. Good beer, but better options since.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

highme posted:

This is my take too, Knee Deep was making great west coast IPAs when we didn't know a NE IPA was an option. Good beer, but better options since.

Lol is this supposed to imply that NE IPAs are better than West Coast IPAs?

But yes, Knee Deep made great beer back in the day. The brewer left and made Revision Brewing in Sparks, NV. Revision makes pretty good stuff on par with old Knee Deep.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, I just stopped at Revision a couple days ago on my way through. Cool place! Too bad I had a kid in the car (and also a pandemic) and had to grab everything to go. Looks like a neat place to have a couple.

Like everyone said, Knee Deep made some pretty good WCs a while back, and still continue to make them, but they’ve been lapped by a ton of other breweries that have popped up nearby (Moonraker, Slice, Auburn Alehouse, Revision, etc). It took them an eternity to jump on the hazy wagon and I don’t think they’ve put out a single one that could compete with the aforementioned breweries. They’ve all been super meh.

I still drop their Breaking Bud and Hoptologist in my kegerator from time to time.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Brewed a coffee milk stout the other day. Not really a coffee fan myself, but hopefully it turns out nice and people like it. I'm still relatively new to the actual brewing part, been doing most everything else since I started, so I get a little anxious every time I get up on the brewhouse. Haven't completely hosed anything up yet so far, just minor fuckups, so I got that going for me.

Recently had some stuff from Vulgar Brewing up in Franklin, NH. Never had a chance to since I don't think there's really any reason to visit Franklin otherwise and had only seen the name in passing. But it's pretty solid stuff. Nice saison and helles, and a good NEIPA. If, for some weird reason, you find yourself up near there, give them a shot.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mahoning posted:

No, it’s meant to imply that I like hazies more than just another super hoppy west coast IPA. Especially 5 years ago.

highme fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 11, 2021

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Detective Thompson posted:

Recently had some stuff from Vulgar Brewing up in Franklin, NH. Never had a chance to since I don't think there's really any reason to visit Franklin otherwise and had only seen the name in passing. But it's pretty solid stuff. Nice saison and helles, and a good NEIPA. If, for some weird reason, you find yourself up near there, give them a shot.

I lived up in the lakes region for a while and we just called it Skanklin and not because of any fond association for Ska. Back in ~02 there wasn't anything of value up there, now at least there's Cantebury Aleworks. Otherwise I just drive through on the way to the Northeast Kingdom.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Update: I love the LUKR faucet I bought. Still 100% unnecessary but it pours so nicely. I've even tried odder things like IPAs on it in addition to some pils because why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Mahoning posted:

But yes, Knee Deep made great beer back in the day. The brewer left and made Revision Brewing in Sparks, NV. Revision makes pretty good stuff on par with old Knee Deep.

as an Official West Coaster this is correct. Knee Deep is still fine but nothing special, they kinda dropped a peg or two and never really pulled back up after Warren left.. Revision is making above average beer, especially for how widely distributed they are in the state.