Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

bananasinpajamas posted:

Final Hunahpu's Day taplist:

:aaaaa:

I wish I was attending, oh man do I wish I was attending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

LeeMajors posted:

:suicide:
Horror, your name is Bed and Breakfast.

I thought I posted about this the other day...

My local store had a tasting of this, their Amarillo and their barleywine for free. I can honestly say it was one of the worst beers I have ever had. The ashiness is overpoweringly bad on such a light beer and it was extremely carbonated, so much so it stung my tongue. It was even more ridiculous too considering the Amarillo IPA and barleywine were absolutely fantastic.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

bananasinpajamas posted:

Final Hunahpu's Day taplist
:stonk:

Glad that I've had the vast majority of the CCB brews, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to neglect the guest taps. Gonna try to get all three of the Wakefield Berliners, some Zombie Dust, the rum Hunahpus, Pineapple Blonde, Those Candies Your Granny Loves Brown Ale (especially assuming those candies are either Mary Janes or Werther's Originals, I can't think of any other options!), and leave myself one slot for whatever sounds delicious/gets hyped at the time. I'm budgeting for eight beers otherwise I'm sure I'd drink myself into a coma/the poor house.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Paul Proteus posted:

I thought I posted about this the other day...

My local store had a tasting of this, their Amarillo and their barleywine for free. I can honestly say it was one of the worst beers I have ever had. The ashiness is overpoweringly bad on such a light beer and it was extremely carbonated, so much so it stung my tongue. It was even more ridiculous too considering the Amarillo IPA and barleywine were absolutely fantastic.

Sorry, didn't see it.

I'm glad someone else has experienced the acrid, mouth-making GBS threads taste of this beer so that we may corroborate our stories and prevent others from making this mistake.

:hf:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

bananasinpajamas posted:

Final Hunahpu's Day taplist:

I think the best part about going with a group is that I can share some of these beers so I don't end up getting alcohol poisoning. Even then, there's obviously no way I'm going to get to try even half the beer I want to, but that's a good problem to have.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
*shrugs* I had Bed and Breakfast on tap and i enjoyed it. Maybe it's the bottles?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I'm drinking a bunch of different Stouts tonight. So far I've tried Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, and Dark Intrigue. I couldn't taste much of the barrel aging on the Espresso Yeti, because all I could really taste was the Espresso. I thought it was really deliciuos.

The Dark Intrigue has a little bit of an alcohol bite to it, and you can definitely taste the barrel aging on it. I'd like this one a lot more with a year or two on it, I think.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

deadwing posted:

Glad that I've had the vast majority of the CCB brews, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to neglect the guest taps. Gonna try to get all three of the Wakefield Berliners, some Zombie Dust, the rum Hunahpus, Pineapple Blonde, Those Candies Your Granny Loves Brown Ale (especially assuming those candies are either Mary Janes or Werther's Originals, I can't think of any other options!), and leave myself one slot for whatever sounds delicious/gets hyped at the time. I'm budgeting for eight beers otherwise I'm sure I'd drink myself into a coma/the poor house.

Any chance you'll be sticking around until 7 pm? I'm trying to find someone who is willing to pick up some bottles for me (assuming bottles last through 7 pm)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Corbet posted:

Any chance you'll be sticking around until 7 pm? I'm trying to find someone who is willing to pick up some bottles for me (assuming bottles last through 7 pm)

I'm not ruling it out, I've already got my allocation plus a friend's loaned out, and I'm just bringing 200 bucks, so I wouldn't be able to get too many extra bottles. It's really up to everyone else I'm going with for when they want to go. I'm the beer nerd, I'll be staying as long as they let me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
okay, i'm in New Orleans now and the one shop i've visited has a ridiculous selection of Shelton Brothers beer. some things were no-brainers, but if anybody has suggestions, recommendations, etc, for the stuff i wasn't as sure about...

Vanberg & DeWulf Lambickx ($23)
Kriek De Ranke ($16)
Pannepot 2010 and 2011 ($7) (snagged a 2010, wasn't sure if that was an awesome
price and should therefore get more)
Fantome Chocolat, la Dalmatienne (light), de Noel, (between $14-17)
Danish brewer To Ol
Norway's Haand brewery

gently caress, there were a lot more- you know, what, i just thought to look and they actually have this poo poo on their website. help me, goons, because the dudes that work there have zero customer service skills. goons i trade with, tell me if there's anything you want.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

deadwing posted:

I'm not ruling it out, I've already got my allocation plus a friend's loaned out, and I'm just bringing 200 bucks, so I wouldn't be able to get too many extra bottles. It's really up to everyone else I'm going with for when they want to go. I'm the beer nerd, I'll be staying as long as they let me.

Well if your group has any extra bottles that you're willing to unload, I'd definitely take some off your hands. Hell, I'd be willing to paypal you for 3 bottles and if they sell out, you can just refund it.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

bananasinpajamas posted:

Avery Trogdor the Burninator

This beer is indeed burninacious. Nasty big doppelbock.

I'm pretty sure I've only had like two of the beers on that whole list.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

okay, i'm in New Orleans now and the one shop i've visited has a ridiculous selection of Shelton Brothers beer. some things were no-brainers, but if anybody has suggestions, recommendations, etc, for the stuff i wasn't as sure about...

Kriek De Ranke ($16)
Danish brewer To Ol
Norway's Haand brewery

gently caress, there were a lot more- you know, what, i just thought to look and they actually have this poo poo on their website. help me, goons, because the dudes that work there have zero customer service skills. goons i trade with, tell me if there's anything you want.

Cork and Bottle is also a really good store with great customer service. It's right around the corner from Parkway Bakery (my favorite poboys) so you can hit two great places. I assume you've gone/are going to the Avenue Pub as well?

From that list, I can only speak for the Pannepot. It is really good (especially the reservas/grand reserva) and that's a great price.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have really been getting into trying out beers recently. I love stouts and malty beers, but I really don't like strong hoppy flavors and I can't stand IPA's. I was at a big liquor store the other day and I asked if they had any Corsendonk (I loving love that stuff, but it's too expensive to drink often). They brought their local 'beer guy' over to get it for me. He is this skinny dude with huge hair and a thick beard. He heaves a big, sad, sigh and asks me why I would buy that stuff when they have Bernardus.

"Because I like it?"

Another big sigh as he slumps off to fetch it from the back room. When he comes back he mentions that he is starting his own brewery-Burnt Hickory something or other, and that I should check them out. I agree to look for them. He says that they will only be brewing "real" beers. I ask what a real beer is. He says real beers have lots of hops...cascade, and a bunch of other hops names I can't recall.

I told him I am not into IPA's, but I'll certainly check out his website.

Another huge sigh. He says, "You're really gonna have to get over that, man. All those other beers are for Bud drinkers.

I guess I met my first beer snob. Do I really have to get over it? Do I? Because hops taste like Pine Sol.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Another huge sigh. He says, "You're really gonna have to get over that, man. All those other beers are for Bud drinkers.

I guess I met my first beer snob. Do I really have to get over it? Do I? Because hops taste like Pine Sol.

sounds like you met your first beer retard, you mean

Paul Proteus, i will check those out, thanks.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

LeeMajors posted:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11031/75365

Redeem your opinions on that brewery by checking out their Hel & Verdoemenis, it's a uniquely excellent RIS. Pricy for the size, but very good nevertheless.

FiftyFifty's Elijah Craig variants, which one would cost $33? I didn't read up on the bottle at the store I was at (SD goons: K&B Wine Cellar in Del Cerro), but I didn't realize there were so many different types. While I'm sure it'd be good, I refuse to pay that much for a beer (sorry Midorka).

Working on Jester King's Thrash Farmhouse Ale. A little overly yeasty in the back of the throat, fairly dry, though I can't complain about the well-rounded taste. There's others I think are better in this arena, but I'm glad I tried it. Quite glad Jester King's made it to the Golden State - their bottles are informative and awesome on the whole, the prices are reasonable, and they're coming up with some original recipes that give me hope their best is still to come. I mean, what other craft brewery in the US is producing a sub-3% abv farmhouse ale? Brilliant for Texas and other places that get hot as gently caress in the summer.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The Dregs posted:

I have really been getting into trying out beers recently. I love stouts and malty beers, but I really don't like strong hoppy flavors and I can't stand IPA's. I was at a big liquor store the other day and I asked if they had any Corsendonk (I loving love that stuff, but it's too expensive to drink often). They brought their local 'beer guy' over to get it for me. He is this skinny dude with huge hair and a thick beard. He heaves a big, sad, sigh and asks me why I would buy that stuff when they have Bernardus.

"Because I like it?"

Another big sigh as he slumps off to fetch it from the back room. When he comes back he mentions that he is starting his own brewery-Burnt Hickory something or other, and that I should check them out. I agree to look for them. He says that they will only be brewing "real" beers. I ask what a real beer is. He says real beers have lots of hops...cascade, and a bunch of other hops names I can't recall.

Bernardus 12 is malty as hell, just FYI. One of the best Quads that money can buy.

If hops taste like Pine-Sol then you are either drinking lovely beers, or you have no real palate for hops. But there are a whole hell of a lot of fantastic beers that aren't hop-forward and honestly lots of really hop heavy beers aren't especially well made and rely on poo poo loads of hops to cover for a mediocre beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If hops taste like Pine-Sol then you are either drinking lovely beers, or you have no real palate for hops. But there are a whole hell of a lot of fantastic beers that aren't hop-forward and honestly lots of really hop heavy beers aren't especially well made and rely on poo poo loads of hops to cover for a mediocre beer.

the issue is poor customer service, not dude's palate. people like what they like; the employee should have taken the time to say, "have you tried X? it uses this hop that tastes like Y" you don't educate customers by being a condescending jerk.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11031/75365

I did not get the chance to try this monstrosity from the Three Floyds anniversary party, but after reading the reviews and hearing my friends describe how awful it was (and these were guys that like sours), I'm glad I didn't.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

The Dregs posted:

"Because I like it?"

Well, Nugget and Cluster hops taste like Pine-Sol, at least. :v: But yeah, this guy sounds like the kind of insufferable prick that gives beer enthusiasts a bad name, and his idea of "real beer" is completely idiotic. Hoppy beers can be delicious, but hops aren't the only flavor in beer - there's so much range in the yeast, malt, and everything else that goes in there, and the world of beer would be far poorer if IPA were the only style in existence. In fact, over-the-top hop usage seems to be used to disguise off-flavors and poor brewing practices sometimes. Not everybody wants to choke down an ethanol-soaked hop dildo (god, I still love that phrase) all day every day.

Moreover, it sounds like he has no concept of customer service, balance or a reasonable business plan, not to mention basic respect. Brewers and beer enthusiasts should be friendly, generous and enthusiastic about discussing beer. Have fun selling your Cascadian Black Imperial Pilsner to absolutely nobody with that attitude, jackass.

Paul Proteus posted:

I actually really enjoy Cane and Ebel as well, and I don't mind Domaine Dupage, but I'm not talking about a few beers. When you have five regular beers and most of your "Artisan Beers" or seasonals are boring/bad I can't get behind it. The J series, Northwind, Circus Penguin, Askew, Hoodwink, Bare Tree, Moaten, Why Winter, Atom Smasher, Hop Juice? I don't dislike the company (like I do Finch's), I just think that with the exception of Cane and Ebel there is nothing stand out about their offerings. Maybe they should stick to relatively low ABV "normal" beers?

Jokingly - I wouldn't use that production argument considering the company you work for; else the 312 brewing company makes only really bland products.

I agree that Two Brothers only has a few standout beers and is pretty average otherwise. The way that post was worded sounded as if you were judging the brewery primarily on the special/limited releases, and I think a brewery should be evaluated on the overall quality of their beers - standards, seasonals, specials and all. There are some breweries that excel at one or the other (I like Great Lakes primarily for its mainstream beers, for instance), and most people can probably find beers from their favorite breweries that they don't like, but those just end up being part of the overall picture. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding there.

And Goose Island now contracts out the majority of its Honkers and 312 production to larger AB breweries, so we're a lot less bland than we used to be. :haw:

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

Kriek De Ranke ($16)
Danish brewer To Ol
Norway's Haand brewery

Kriek de ranke is awesome so get that for sure.

To Øl is actually brewed at De Prof. Some of there stuff is good just matters on what. I personally do not like the IPAs made from De prof.

Haand makes some really good stuff. Norwegian Wood, Odin's Tiple, I had a sour from them last week with currants and cranberries that was really nice.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Well, I'm going going on vacation, folks. To Ocean City, MD. Don't ask.

Anyways, do any of you folks know any good destinations nearby, whether it's a bottle shop or bar? I'm already set on hitting up the Dogfish Head brewpub, but I've only found one bar that had a near decent selection and your general DFH brews sold everywhere.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 10, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Traded a St. Arnold Endeavour for a Williamsburg Alewerks Bitter Valentine. Seemed fair to me to trade two dark horse IIPA's. Also picked up some Uinta Hop Notch IPA, which looks like it's pretty well rated.

Trying to hunt this Tilquin down at the moment. From what I understand they are a pretty new gueuze blender, so this is exciting. Anyone here had it?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Picked up a 4-pack of New England Brewing Co's Gandhi-Bot last night. I'm really excited to try it in a situation where I'm NOT already drunk (I've literally only had this beer at parties or beer fests before).

I also got a bomber of DFH 75 minute IPA, which I had last night. I enjoyed it. I think it could benefit from aging (as they recommend), as the alcohol was pretty up front. Chilled, the maple syrup's not really noticable aside from the beer tasting maltier than I'd expect. As it warmed up the maple really perks up and dominates, which I enjoyed. Also this bitch is SUPER carbonated, again probably due to the sugars in the maple syrup. I was pouring carefully and still ended up with monster foam.

Unlike most DFH big-bottle beers, I actually would buy this again if it wasn't so hard to come by (I think my state got 10 cases).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Traded a St. Arnold Endeavour for a Williamsburg Alewerks Bitter Valentine. Seemed fair to me to trade two dark horse IIPA's. Also picked up some Uinta Hop Notch IPA, which looks like it's pretty well rated.

Trying to hunt this Tilquin down at the moment. From what I understand they are a pretty new gueuze blender, so this is exciting. Anyone here had it?

who are you getting Williamsburg Alewerks from? if you love it, i have another bottle (and i think it was popular enough that they're gonna make more), not to mention whatever else they bottle. the Tilquin is good, especially for the price, and seems pretty readily-available on the east coast.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

who are you getting Williamsburg Alewerks from? if you love it, i have another bottle (and i think it was popular enough that they're gonna make more), not to mention whatever else they bottle. the Tilquin is good, especially for the price, and seems pretty readily-available on the east coast.

Did it face to face (I'm in the area right now). I know the guy works at the Total Wine in Chantilly, I don't remember his name at the moment.

Oh yeah, I'm still looking for more Southern Tier Choklat, and his store still had some so I'm definitely gonna pick those up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A friend just told me knows someone who is already camping out in front of Founder's for the KBS release on Saturday. Beer nerds. :what:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

A friend just told me knows someone who is already camping out in front of Founder's for the KBS release on Saturday. Beer nerds. :what:

As someone who is still sitting on a few bottles of 2010 and 2011, and not due to some desire to age them, I'm skipping this year. It's just not that fun a time and I can reserve money for DLD.

In order to make this not just a "cool story, bro" post, I had one of the most pleasurable aromatic beers last night:

mort subite blanche lambic, kobbegem, belgium 5.5%
dry w/a little tartness, we get coriander on the nose & peach blossom on the palate

was the menu description, and it's pretty drat accurate. It was the biggest aroma I've ever smelled in a beer, and it overpowered even the seafood on the table. It could have been a woman's perfume. The beer was delicate, flavorful, and crisp, but I could have used a touch more tartness for my tastes.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 9, 2012

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kraven Moorhed posted:

To piggyback on funkybottoms's much more illustrious destination, I am also going on vacation. To, well, Ocean City, MA. Don't ask.

Anyways, do any of you folks know any good destinations nearby, whether it's a bottle shop or bar? I'm already set on hitting up the Dogfish Head brewpub, but I've only found one bar that had a near decent selection and your general DFH brews sold everywhere.

I'm gong to assume you meant MD. Ocean City isn't a great beer destination, but if you are willing to drive there are a few spots you can hit up. The 9th Street Taproom is the only decent beer bar I can recommend that is actually IN OC. Decent selection of locals, don't expect to be wowed by anything. Apparently the west OC Pizza Tugo's has a good draft lineup, but I've never been.

Since you mentioned heading into Rehoboth to visit the DFH brewpub, you should definitely visit the Henlopen City Oyster House and Fins, both are in walking distance from the brewpub and have good-to-great tap lists in general (great food as well). Henlopen City Oyster House is pretty good about updating their menu/taplist on their website regularly so you can check it before you go. If you're willing to drive a bit further north from downtown Rehoboth on Rt. 1 (about 5 minutes), the Pickled Pig Pub is another great little gastropub/beer bar. Also nearby is Atlantic Liquors, which has probably the best bottle selection in southern DE. Cape Wine & Spirits is a bit further up and has a good (and complementary) selection as well.

About 15 minutes to the west of OC, in Berlin, MD, is Burley Oak brewing, who just opened in August. They have some pretty good stuff and most of it never leaves the taproom, they are only recently beginning to send kegs out to other bars/restaurants. Bryan, the brewmaster, is usually around and fun to talk to.

If you're willing to continue west from Berlin another 25 minutes into Salisbury, then you can hit up Specific Gravity, a pizzeria and bottle shop that has a solid tap lineup, and a pretty decent selection of craft bottles. Also in Salisbury is another liquor store called Cheers that is fairly small but usually has a few gems. Head about 15-20 minutes north of Salisbury to Delmar if you want to visit the Evolution Craft Brewery tasting room. They have all of their year-rounds and a seasonal on tap. If you're lucky, they'll have their coffee stout or their double ipa on draft - both are draft only and awesome. If they have either on, I recommend picking up a growler.

cryme fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 9, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Did it face to face (I'm in the area right now). I know the guy works at the Total Wine in Chantilly, I don't remember his name at the moment.

Oh yeah, I'm still looking for more Southern Tier Choklat, and his store still had some so I'm definitely gonna pick those up.

i like their Coffeehouse Stout quite a bit, you should score some of those, too. their porter isn't bad, either, but the rest of their year-round stuff is nothing special. also, not sure if there's any up there yet, but grab some Hardywood Park if you see it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I just found out that my local liquor store a) keeps the good beer in the back to be asked after, and b) had two six-packs of Nugget Nectar left.

Hell yes.

Now I can trade one bottle of this for all the whales my heart could desire! No I will not actually do this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

As someone who is still sitting on a few bottles of 2010 and 2011, and not due to some desire to age them, I'm skipping this year. It's just not that fun a time and I can reserve money for DLD.

I just called a local grocery store and they said they are getting in 3-4 cases, and how many 4-packs did I want? Just told the guy one...trying to resist the "gotta catch 'em all" beer collector mentality. It's definitely a good beer, but I bought one 4-pack of 2011 KBS and I still have 2 bottles of it left over.

Edit: I gave in :(

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 9, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Podima posted:

So I just found out that my local liquor store a) keeps the good beer in the back to be asked after, and b) had two six-packs of Nugget Nectar left.

Hell yes.

Now I can trade one bottle of this for all the whales my heart could desire! No I will not actually do this.

i don't mean this as a criticism of you, but why are people going crazy over Nugget Nectar this year? i don't recall it being that special of a release the past couple years and it's always been fairly easy to find in VA.

talked to the actual beer dude at Stein Market and he made up for the lack of pleasantness from the rest of the crew, which kept me from buying all their Cantillon out of spite. turns out that The Avenue Pub is actually right around the corner, stoked about that, but it's one of those "nobody under 21" places that are apparently common in this neck of the woods, so that kinda sucks.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

funkybottoms posted:

i don't mean this as a criticism of you, but why are people going crazy over Nugget Nectar this year? i don't recall it being that special of a release the past couple years and it's always been fairly easy to find in VA.

talked to the actual beer dude at Stein Market and he made up for the lack of pleasantness from the rest of the crew, which kept me from buying all their Cantillon out of spite. turns out that The Avenue Pub is actually right around the corner, stoked about that, but it's one of those "nobody under 21" places that are apparently common in this neck of the woods, so that kinda sucks.

Around me the first batches of Nugget Nectar go extremely fast. Thankfully Troegs puts out a couple batches when NN is in season so I can usually grab a couple sixers later on

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

As someone who is already planning on getting in line at 5 or 6 am (and I'm ashamed of that already), that's really dumb. If you really want to wait in line overnight for KBS, you should just go to the brewpub the night before and jump in line when they close for the night.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

oh, i forgot- ordered a Nola Blond at some place in the French Quarter and it had loving ice in it. not cubes, the beer was actually partially-frozen- how does that happen on draft? also, despite being brewed in the city, it was listed as an import (along with locally-made Abita, Sam Adams, and a few other things); Bud Light was the "only" domestic. pffft.

VVVV really, that was aimed more at people in my neck of the woods, i should've qualified that.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 9, 2012

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

funkybottoms posted:

No worries! It's been pretty hard to find in my part of Central Jersey, and I've been hearing a lot of good things about it, so it was mostly excitement over finding it AND finding out how to get some cool stuff at my local store that I didn't know existed. :)

(I can confirm what lazerwolf said too, the beer dude at my store mentioned that he was trying to get in on Troegs' second batch of NN. I'm assuming it's just the first batch that people are going berserk over, and things will calm down when the second wave hits.)

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

oh, i forgot- ordered a Nola Blond at some place in the French Quarter and it had loving ice in it. not cubes, the beer was actually partially-frozen- how does that happen on draft? also, despite being brewed in the city, it was listed as an import (along with locally-made Abita, Sam Adams, and a few other things); Bud Light was the "only" domestic. pffft.

VVVV really, that was aimed more at people in my neck of the woods, i should've qualified that.

New Orleans, and the Quarter particularly, is not a beer friendly town. The pickings are typically slim. People don't care what they drink down there, as long as it gets them drunk so liquor is still king.

Nola is overall unremarkable but their Irish Channel stout is a fine example of a dry stout and the Hopitoulas IPA is pretty good. Flambeau Red is the best thing they make. Don't get the saison.

Why is the under 21 thing an issue, are you with some people who aren't?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There's a place called the Bulldog on Magazine Street (not in the Quarter) that is a solid beer bar. I enjoyed it on my trip to NOLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

funkybottoms posted:

Nugget Nectar hype levels are approaching dangerously annoying levels, I've noticed. Two years ago it was not hard at all to find weeks after release, but this year all the stores in my area sold out within 2 weeks. In PA it's especially bad because large distributors will only get in maybe 11-12 cases and since they can only sell them by the case, it only takes 11-12 people to completely sell out the store.

That being said, it's a really fantastic beer.