Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The talk about Hopslam and other super IPAs aging really quickly has me curious as to how long an IPA can sit before it legitimately loses its hop and citrus character. Is there a rule of thumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
What are some good seasonal releases I should keep an eye out for in the OK/TX area in the next month or so? Bigfoot and Colette have already been mentioned (and last weekend I discovered that Bigfoot is v. nice stuff!), but I want to know if I should keep an eye out for anything that might otherwise pass unnoticed.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I noticed that all the bottle shops in my vicinity carry Orval that was bottled in 2009-2010. Is this just lovely distribution/store policy, or does Orval typically sit on bottles for a couple years before shipping them?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

funkybottoms posted:

regardless, there's no problem with Orval that's been sitting for a bit.

CalvinDooglas posted:

It's called an awesome deal. Snatch that poo poo.

Thanks guys, done and done. :cheers:

It'll be good to drink something not from Sierra Nevada for a change. Between Bigfoot and Ruthless Rye, it's been hoppy as hell in House Fatass.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
What's so bad about Tallgrass? Their cans seem pretty popular in my neck of the woods.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is :swoon:

It was basically a beer milkshake: Rich, smooth and creamy. drat shame the weather's going to be far too hot to drink stuff like this in just a few weeks.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
As recommended, I picked up some of the 2009/2010 Orval I found locally. drat this stuff is acidic. The tasting note at the store was all about hops, but I guess those have fallen off in the three years since bottling.

Or is sour Orval a sign that horrible things have happened and I am about to poo poo my pancreas out?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I am so glad that saisons are fashionable these days. I've been drinking hell of Hennepin these last couple weeks and I'll probably pick up a six-pack of Colette tonight on the way home.

I can see why farm laborers drank this stuff. The flavor improves when it's warm out and you're actually thirsty.

Question: What's a good beer for getting a strong yeast flavor? Specifically something I can think of for textbook yeast character.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Does anyone else think Colette by Great Divide is just too mild? I love pretty much any saison you put in front of me but I just kept wishing it had something aggressive about it.

I feel bad for anyone in this world who does not have ready access to Tank 7.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Podima posted:

:hfive: to La Fin Du Monde

I was a sucker for imports and Boulevard for long years, but it was La Fin and Trois Pistoles that made me really start paying attention to beer. Also the Beer Wars documentary.

I grabbed a St Bernardus sampler for the free glass. So far I've had their Christmas ale and the Abt 12 - those monks love their sweet beer. The Christmas ale tasted like straight up fruitcake and the Abt 12 has a really potent oatmeal cookie flavor. Big, big beers.

I've got a 3F/Mikkeler Boogoop in the fridge as we speak. We never get 3F stuff this far south, so I'm looking forward to it.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Mikkeler I Beat U is potent stuff. Grapefruit, honey, witch hazel. I think I like it! But at $6/bottle, I think this is not going to be a regular in the rotation.

Guys who know IIPAs: How does Mikkeler IBU compare to the pantheon? (Stone Ruination, Pliny, etc.)

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The Mikkeler/3F collaboration Boogoop is boozy as hell and totally forgettable. It's too bad that my introduction to such a storied brewery is so mediocre.

Maybe if I knew what they were going for this would have more appeal, but all I'm getting is some cloves and cinnamon and way too much alcohol.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
What's with all the drain pouring, Midorka? Like half your posts that I recall are you talking about all the beer you don't drink.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I see that a lot of reviewers poo poo on Leinenkugel's shandy from a very great height. Is this just a fashionable opinion or do I have to turn in my beer geek card because I cannot get enough of that piss-yellow sugarwater.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Kudosx posted:

I think the biggest problem with Hoptimum is that it is a hop bomb. There's a *lot* of people who don't like IPAs, but still like to try every single one they can get their hands on. They'll hand out low ratings for something being a hop bomb, even if it's advertised as one.

It's hoppy as hell, but it seems less aggressive to me than something like Arrogant Bastard (which starts to run out of appeal to me about 2/3s of the way through a glass). I guess there are just people who hate hops.

Not getting as much citrus out of this as I get out of Mikkeler's I Beat U, but I'm not spending $.50 an ounce for it either. Hoptimum is a winner.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Split a bomber of GDBC's 18th Anniversary DIPA and I'm not sure what to make of it. Getting a really strong scotch flavor, I assume from the wood aging, and that's overpowering everything else. Not getting any citrus or witch hazel, which is usually what I like in a strong IPA.

That said I think I like it. What's your take?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I finally went back and tried Coop's DNR quadrupel. I guess my tastes have changed as I've drunk different stuff, because it came across as syrupy and boozy, like someone had boiled down a belgian golden ale.

At least their F5 IPA still tastes good. :sigh:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Sirotan posted:

Everyone please keep not liking sours. Please. Jolly Pumpkin special releases are always some of the least hyped up beer events I go to and I want it to stay that way at least a little bit longer....

Bam Bier is gonna be on tap around here p. soon. Any other JP releases I should try out?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Grabbed the last Jolly Pumpkin bomber at my local; thanks for the recommendations!

Boulevard Stingo is fantastic, and I realized this just in time for the neighborhood bar to rotate it off their tap. drat my Oktoberfest addiction. :arghfist::smith:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Captain Shortbus posted:

Anyway, enjoy the Boulevard! They're one of the most well-rounded breweries you'll find. A couple of mind blowing beers every year, and 4-5 very solid year rounds.

I practically force Tank 7 into the glasses of friends when they ask me to order for them. I love Boulevard.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

SUPER HASSLER posted:

During the dark days of Texas I'd argue they were amongst the absolute best that distro'd there.

Oklahoma distribution is super hosed up, and Boulevard is like a candle in the darkness. We get hardly anything from Texas.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Texas does give us unfettered access to the Shiner beers, which covers a multitude of sins.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I find this interesting because I thought all Shiner beer was poo poo apart from Bock and Black Lager, which I still think is the best schwarzbier ever.

Splizwarf is right duder, Ruby Redbird is the stuff. Grab a sixpack next summer and let the ginger-citrus soothe your cares away.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

nwin posted:

I'm heading to Oklahoma City, OK at the end of November for a few days for work.

Any decent beers I can pick up? I'm currently in Texas, so if they sell founders or bells ill be stoked.

Coop's F5 IPA is good, as is Marshall's Atlas. Choc is another local favorite.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

nwin posted:

I'm heading to Oklahoma City, OK at the end of November for a few days for work.

Any decent beers I can pick up? I'm currently in Texas, so if they sell founders or bells ill be stoked.

Nearly forgot: Marshall's El CuCuy black IPA just got released. A lot of folks call it the best beer made in Oklahoma.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Holy poo poo, Samuel Smith, where have you been all my life?

It's a drat shame that craft beer newbies like myself tend to discount stuff like this in favor of the rare/new poo poo that gets talked up a lot. This is really, really good.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I think this is something that can often seem ignored if you're looking here or at BA's forums. Me, I still think Young's Double Chocolate Stout is a 5 star beer and nobody's gonna convince me otherwise.

Grabbing a bottle of that tomorrow. I got turned onto craft beer by a bottle of La Fin du Monde; when in doubt go back to the basics.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Drank canned Young's Double Chocolate. Maybe I'm making poo poo up, but i definitely tasted the can in there. The chocolate flavor is good and the nitro charge made things super smooth. I wanna try this on tap.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Josh Wow posted:

As long as you were drinking it out of a glass you didn't taste the can, they are lined so the liquid never touches the metal.

Oh, good. Guess I was just being paranoid. Still definitely want to try it on tap.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
You should pick up the bomber of Excluded Middle we've been saving for you in the back.

Seriously: There are such things as key clients, and when Joe Shits the Ragman walks in the front door or calls a sales guy, he really is less important than those key clients. If I were to walk into our consulting department and demand that we stop expediting work for our national clients in favor of a piddly two-man shop because they were first in line, I'd be laughed out of the office.

Absolutes are for people scared by the real world. You have to take care of your key customers and you have to keep from scaring off new faces. If it was an easy balance to strike, everyone would be successful.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

RiggenBlaque posted:

Ah Celebration Ale, the only good winter beer.

Thanks jerk, you made Hibernation Ale cry. :mad:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I was definitely not expecting Celebration to be an IPA. I was happy as a pig in poo poo, but my guests seemed like they wanted one of those overly-sweet spice bombs that usually gets put out as Christmas beer. Oh well, more for me.

Narwhal is the jam of the winter, IMO. I'm grabbing more to stuff in my beer closet.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Rogue's hazelnut beer is damned good and I drink it without shame or irony. :colbert:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Been aging a 2012 Bigfoot. The hoppiness has given way to a nice honey sweetness. I've got five more bottles to go, might crack one every two months or so to see what else develops.

Also socked away packs of Narwhal and Hibernation for a rainy day. :reject:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

funkybottoms posted:

Man, you gotta age that poo poo for a couple years- had a 98 this summer and it was insanely good

(Sorry for the double post, using my sister's iPad)

Oh, no poo poo? I guess I'll crack my next bottle open in six months, not two. I gotta quit drinking so much loving beer anyway. :reject:

e: I've heard there are wines that shouldn't be drunk until years after they're bottled. Are there beers that can be too fresh?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Docjowles posted:

Awww yeah. In 2013, Great Divide is making Colette a year round beer.

Let us all shed a tear for Samurai, which died that a beer people actually like might live.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I drank a Coop Oak Aged Barleywine the other night. Boozy taste up front that blossomed into witch hazel with band-aid finish. God do I wish an Oklahoma brewery could make a decent barleywine.

e: Does anyone else get a big licorice hit off of Narwhal? What other beers have a good anise flavor?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Captain Shortbus posted:

No Bourbon Barrel Quad this year

I have four bottles of this in the back of my closet and I promised myself I wouldn't open one until I could do a vertical with this year's release. :sigh:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

danbanana posted:

Open one. I loved it.

I drank one fresh; that's why I grabbed the other four. I can wait, but I don't have to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Who kicked off the barrel-aging fad? I remember cask finishes were all the rage in scotch about ten years ago, but finishing beer seems much more recent.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 27, 2012