Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

poo poo, I live a 10 minute walk away and completely forgot about it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Chicago peeps - have you had a chance to try Off Color's Dino S'mores? I thought it was phenomenal - completely blew Short's S'more Stout out of the water (S'more Stout has more of a smoky taste, which I generally don't prefer). It had this great marshmallow vanilla presence that I really liked. Apparently they're bottling it soon.

I did a week ago, and it was way too much smores flavoring for me. I personally feel that it broke the golden rule of taste like beer first and x second because it just tasted like a liquid version of a smores Cliff bar. I have been trying to get Apex Predator though because I thought Troublesome was fantastic and Scurry was also really good.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Any suggestions for a Chicago-origin beer? I'm looking for a great tasting porter brewed close to home.

Revolution Eugene and Half Acre Chub Step are both good. There are like 30 breweries in Chicago, so they are a dime a dozen.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Two recommendations for Eugene. Where can I pick some up?

Basically any store that sells beer in Chicago should have Revolution and most of them should have Eugene. It is hard not to come by.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

St. Feuillien Saison, Apex Predator, Tank 7 and Colette are all so good and readily available in single serve bottles. I can't choose one I like the most.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I am first in line to taste a free six year vertical of Dark Lord in 10 minutes.

I have never had Dark Lord before.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Trip report:

After the Dark Lord six year vertical I would say 2011 is definitely the best one. 2011 seemed like an odd duck because there was a strong coffee flavor that really was not present in the others.

2012, 2010, and 2009 were all very good and it is hard to rank them. 2009 and 2010 were both very good, but they were starting to get a bit of oxidation on them, but that being said they had a nice mellow toffee flavor and their sweetness was really under control completely. 2012 seemed to be the point at which Dark Lord really properly mellowed out in sweetness.

2014 and 2013 were just not for me. I honestly don't really like fresh Dark Lord that much. It it just way too sweet.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Has anyone ever gone to the American Beer Classic in Chicago? How was it? I was planning on going to the Beer Camp Across America festival, but I won't be able to swing it, and I have this off on my work schedule.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Pomp posted:

Grabbed a random stout today. Halfway through a glass, I wondered why I was getting buzzed already and looked at the ABV. 10% :eyepop:

Now I'm finding out that 10% isn't even the high end for imperial stouts.

I had some Black Tuesday today and that is 19%. Also, a number of states cap their ABV in beer. Ohio does not allow anything above 12% to be sold.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

If I honestly cared what the label looked like than I would never drink Cigar City. I hope w00tstout v2 tastes good.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Vertigo posted:

the glass I poured had chunks in it.

That seems to be a trend with coconut beers. Hell, BCBS coconut had that.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Podima posted:

Dark Lord chat: Due to an insanely generous person (thank you LeafHouse) I have a bottle of Dark Lord '14. Aside from "DRINK IT FRESH :unsmigghh:" for anyone who's had this year's: should I sit on this for a little bit or go ahead and bring it to next month's bottle share?

Wait 2-3 years. Fresh Dark Lord is way too sweet. After 2-3 years it becomes fantastic.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I need this just on the logo alone.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

As someone who does not own a car and does not want to carry a ton of glass around, cans own. Revolution and Oscar Blues only do cans and Bells just added 4 pack cans of a couple of their offerings. They are cheaper to make, keep beer better, and are cheaper to transport.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

So who drank anything interesting while the forums were down?

I was drinking Citra Hero as I was informed that the forums were back up. It is seriously amazing. I highly recommend it. The beer.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

The store I work at got the Dogfish version of Saison du Buff in and my boss is pricing it at $12.99 per bottle. I remember buying it at like $4 per bottle. Is my boss going insane or what is happening?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Midorka posted:

Your boss is insane. Is it even a fresh release?

So, apparently the distributer charged us like $180 for a case instead of $50 or whatever it should have been and my boss priced according to that. I was completely confused.

Also yeah, it got brewed 6/11 for the person asking if there was a recent release.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

That sounds great. I personally do not have a car, so anytime it is in Chicago proper, and I am off of work, I would try to make it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

swickles posted:

Themed BIF's are fun, so lets do a theme.

Only dog themed beers.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

danbanana posted:

Let's talk beer 3: No, let's talk pickles instead.

I dunno, pickles seem to be really linked with beer for some reason I don't know.

We could talk about Sierra Nevada mustard.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I have never shipped anything from him, being that I live just down the street from The Beer Temple, but that does not surprise me. He is the nicest guy in the world and just wants people to drink good beer.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

air- posted:

Boulevard's even making appearances at groceries too, so sometimes you can find a 750 of Tank 7 for under $10 when on sale.

Why would you buy 750s for $10+ of Tank 7 when you can pick up 4 packs for $11.99? At least, that is my experience.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I forget specifics, but I have heard a number of beer reps and a couple past employees complain to high heaven about how much Two Brothers sucks as a company and the people running it are assholes.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Quantrill posted:

I'm so glad it's July. It's the perfect time to buy some Great Lakes Christmas Ale!
http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/for/4581087859.html

A friend informed me of this...
https://www.facebook.com/events/421957461278577/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

quote:

We've got kegs of Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Shiner Cheer. We're tapping em and topping em with sugar and spice and everything nice, so hurry in because supplies are limited!

I just don't get it. I mean, why?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I don't know...how to feel about this. I have never heard of a beer served over ice. That being said, Longman and Eagle is pretty much my favorite restaurant ever so I will roll with it.

http://www.longmanandeagle.com/blog/2014/07/pipeworks-x-le-brown-stirred/

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Stout floats own and anyone who disagrees is a horrible person. :colbert:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I had a beer. A Brown and Stirred beer from Longman & Eagle x Pipeworks to be precise.

It is honestly really good. That being said, I am a fan of cocktails and of beer. The strong ale was an amazing stand-in for whiskey though and I think I am going to grab a bottle. Also, I am really hype for the rest of the batch that is going to be barrel aged for 6 months in rye barrels. My only complaint about it is that I felt the maraschino cherry flavor was a tad bit heavy, but honestly I still really liked it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I hate tequila and I hate margaritas, but goses are real good. Most people who come to my store don't even know what goses are so I am willing to bet that we are not even close to peak goses yet.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

MunchE posted:

Where are my 6 pack berliners? The only one I can get with any regularity around here is the Bruery's Hottenroth, which is great but hard to session a beer for $7 a bottle

Bell's Oarsman?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Today I bought my first growler. I assume I will be dead by October.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Podima posted:

That depends, where do you live and what kind of stuff do you have available for fills?

Chicago. Revolution is less than a 5 minute walk for me. I visit friends near Half Acre and Begyle all the time.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

crazyfish posted:

Chicagoons, it looks like Coffee Eugene is back at Revolution today. Contemplating filling a few growlers.

They also just put their new double IPA on tap today, Unsessionable IPA, that is going to be canned in the near future.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

crazyfish posted:

Chicagoons, it looks like Coffee Eugene is back at Revolution today. Contemplating filling a few growlers.

I just got a growler of this yesterday and goddamn is it tasty. Also, I drank some Unsessionable from Revolution and it is honestly really good and dangerously drinkable. It was like a Fresh Squeezed turned up to 11 with how much grapefruit citrus flavor I was getting out of it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Surprising perhaps no one, BrewDog Tokio is not good. Smells like overripe bing cherries. Unpleasantly boozy, sticky sweet with some soy sauce backing and bitter woody notes. Cloying finish with a lingering, unpleasant astringency.

I have had one floating around my apartment for 6 months. I have picked it up like 10 times to drink it and I just have not gotten around to it. I figure I should get around to drinking it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I want that Off Color shirt. I want that shirt so loving hard.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

danbanana posted:

Want.

That said, Laffler is a devout worshipper of Alpha King.

Well, in Chicago I don't blame him. Alpha King is EVERYWHERE for like $5 on tap, so it is normally on the low price of things and it is a pretty decent pale ale. I mean, it is not my favorite, but for price and availability in Chicago it is one of my standbys when I am out.

All of that being said, I am not a huge fan of most of Three Floyds stuff and I find it all hilariously overpriced.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

cryme posted:

is this gonna be a nationwide release? or is it only seeing distro in certain parts of the country?

This has a list of where it is at.
http://lagunitas.com/beers/bornyesterday/

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Midorka posted:

I don't know how someone could feel okay with themselves walking away with that much BCBS while others got none. I dunno, I'd feel like a big rear end in a top hat.

I just want two bottles. One to drink fresh and one to age a year. Hopefully I will find them without truck chasing. :unsmith:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

drat it wattershed. You edited your post and beat me to it.

As long as Nelson stays out of Chicago I will not die of alcohol poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

funkybottoms posted:

honestly, i'm not trying to sound like a dick, but please tell me you're being sarcastic. Chicago isn't that loving insane, is it?

It is pretty easy to get it. My store still has like three untouched cases and in the past week has only sold about a case. This store is in downtown. I have also seen them at a handful of other stores just sitting around without a bottle limit or anything.