Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

escape artist posted:

I'm sure it would probably be a drain-pour, but I don't know if I could resist at least trying it once.

Just buy a pack of maple bacon and smell it. That's what it tastes like, its a little heavy some of the 'bacon flavor' with a lot of lingering maple. It was pretty srupy. I really wouldn't buy it again, it was more of an impulse/this is so weird purchase. On the plus side, just smelling it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Sublimer posted:

When I went I tried to go on a tour of the Granville Island Brewery, but they weren't offering any at the time. If you can make the two hour drive north to the Whistler Brewery their tour was pretty fun. $10 but it came with a flight of all their beers.

The Granville Island tour is pretty good, They give you 3x6oz of their regulars and 1x6oz of a limited release. The guide was pretty good too, history, where the rest of the brewing is done, future plans and what have you.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

What's the best of the lovely cheap brand name bears over here in :canada:

I feel your pain. Beer is expensive and good stuff a lot tougher to come by. Depending on where you are determines the "best of the worst" If i need to party hard on the cheap I go for Lucky or Brewhouse, as I'm west coast. Lucky can be realy hit or miss though. Moosehead is also a good enough offering, same with Big Rock. But why would you buy a 2-4 of that whn you could find a case of something solid for the same price?.

No_talent fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 30, 2013

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

The Walrus posted:

just picked up a 24-pack of backwoods bastard.

this is probably old hat for you all bu considering I live in Canada it's a momentous occasion.

drat. I would love to be able to find some Founders nderin Alberta or SK. Please tell me you found it in Edmonton. It's so bad in SK that I do 4 runs a year to Edmonton for almost half price booze for my office.

No_talent fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 29, 2013

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Yeah... being in Saskatoon/Edmonton sucks. But the scene out here is so small that when we do get stuff its sits (a 3 Fonteinen Armand4 Herfst sat on a shelf here for 4 months). We can get basically anything from Belgium, England, Denmark, Japan... But America, Good Luck. One liquor store has been trying to get Stone in for nearly 5 years.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

If you're ever willing to trade, I'd be more than happy to take any 3 Fonteinen and Cantillon off your hands.

Tell me what you want and I'll hunt for it. I juuuust started getting into sours, and I like it. I'd happily trade if the timing is right. Most of the standard Cantillon/3F is under $30 Canadian/bottle and sits. There were 11 bottles of Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella (Lambic Bio 2007) on the shelf for $22CAD when I was there last week.

Keep in mind, our tax/import laws are different than America if the prices are "too off".

No_talent fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 29, 2013

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Zerok posted:

I was able to get a taste for the Rodenbach over the weekend. First time I ever tasted a sour beer and it was probably the best beer I ever had until now.

That being said, anyone know if it can be found on shelves in Quebec? The only place I found it was at the Bier Markt which had other good beers. I was able to also get my first Rochefort 10 out of that place. It's very fun to discover new international product. I just wish it had more of the US microbrewery beers that most of you guys are talking about.

Judging by it's general availablilty in the west I'd say you should be able to find it pretty easily in Quebec. Hunt around for some specific bottle shops and specialty liquor stores. I can regularily find it in Edmonton, and occasionally in Saskatoon and even Canmore.

I used to get all sad about not having the hyped-up big-name sought after American beers, but then I remember that Canadians make pretty good beer too and the scene here is just stating to catch on so plenty of things stay available for quite some time.

I'll be joining in the cellar raid festivities eventually, I just work in a dry camp for a month at a time. Random Canadian beers ahoy!

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Zerok posted:

I've check with our current liquor commission (SAQ) and it's not on shelves.

Dealing with the SLGA/ALGC has yeilded varried results for me. They seem to selectively update things and have only given a "Yeah that's been ordered in the past 8 weeks in the province.". If it's anything like Sk you might be able to do special buys through the SAQ and get a few bottles. I find it easier to just call a store or go visit and see whats there, and try to find something interesting to get.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Harminoff posted:

The funny thing is that my friends and I always called a smoking session a safety meeting. Didn't really know it was a widely used term.

We used to call it "The Fun Club".

On a side note, I finally hit the newest (and second) brewery to open up the bustling metropolis of Saskatoon. Prairie Sun Opened their doors a little under 6 months ago. They have big ideas, which I like, but I'm just not feeling the beer so much. It's drinkable and pretty good at best. There is always this sort of taste to it.... like the way extract smells that I find pretty off-putting.

They sort of jumped the shark buy trying to follow in the other brewers footsteps ( the only other brewer, Paddock Wood, has been around for 10 years now). That's not to say I don't have high hopes for them. Their main lineup, a saison ( just a little off), a wheat ( not bad), and a lager ( not bad), is ok, but they also currently have a "sour saison" (the slightest twinge of tart and something just a little off), a pilsner, a really hoppy brown, a wit with spruce,and a toffee porter that falls nowhere near the style, but tastes pretty great. If they could really nail down a style or refine their recipes a bit they could be great.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

danbanana posted:

No. The Shelton thing is relatively recent.

That said, where are you seeing 3F stuff around? Tell me so I can buy it all.

If I made it back to my parents place more than once every 6 months, and shipping to the US wasn't so daunting (maybe I'm just scaring myself) I'd gladly send stuff. Cantillon Kriek, Iris, Rose, Vigneronne, Grand Cru Bruocsella, 3F Golden Blend and Oude Gueze, Tilquin l’Ancienne, and Boon sit on the shelf for, well, I'm gonna assume years. A few weeks ago I picked up the last 2 St.Lam, and some other more regular offers that were bottled in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. We tend not to see a lot of stuff and what we do get is in reallllly limited quantities, like not a single bottle of Hommage made it out here, but the standard stuff is available if you know where to look (in Edmonton or Calgary).

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Once upon a time I picked up a Mikkeller Nelson Sauvignon. I promptly put it in a box because I was about 5 days away from moving. So I moved, and organized my very first ever box of beer and put it in my closet. In 2011. I completely forgot that I had this. So whatever, I need to make room.

Smells like funky lemons and grapes. Tastes a little fruity with a lot of white wine and quite earthy with a bit of booze up front with an ever so slightly tart finish. It's really dry and leaves a lingering earthy taste in the back of my mouth.

Why did I buy it? Who knows! How much was it? Probably Way Too Much! Was it worth Way Too Much? It was good, but for a "Special Mikkeller" in Canada, it was probably like $35. I can do better. And take better pictures.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I'm in a little town right now called Parksville, BC. Sitting on the shelves of some random little private liquor store were a few 2013 Tart of Darkness and a few 2012 Sour in the Rye. I grabbed one of each as I'd had the 2014 release. For as much as I hate paying crazy prices, the fact that stuff just doen't move here means pre-cellared beer is waiting for me. Sour in the Rye was the clear winner. As much as I like sour fruity burnt wine barrels (in the best way possible) everything from the '12 SitR just grooved. It wasn't tounge destroyingly tart, I got loads of spice from the rye, some barrel, and some apricot. I thought it was super (and a steal for under $20 up here).

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Team Stab posted:

I haven't posted in this thread before but my brother works at the Half-Pints brewery in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I don't realize how spoiled I am when it comes to free beer. Anyone here ever hear of 'em? I don't think they ship too far.

I think I may be one of the few here who has. The thread is dominated buy the US. Pretty much all Canada beer chat involves the east coast as well. The prairies are an odd duck, each with the local/regional brewers that have been around for a while, but thats about it. Like the US, all of our liquor laws were written during the 2 weeks (ok, years) we had prohibition. Hardly anything makes it out here to Saskatoon from Half-Pints, which is sad. I have to drive to Edmonton to do beer runs. Tell your brother I appreciate his efforts. Like a lot.

No_talent fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2014

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

MunchE posted:

Considering I read that Budweiser is catching on in a lot of Europe since young people want to drink something different than their parents, I think there is a market in selling "European beer currently sucks, try our new thing"

When I was in Ireland last year, tons of people were drinking MGD. I thought it was reeealy odd to see 7 Euro pints of MGD on pretty much every table in every bar I went to.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Eejit posted:

Okay seriously, 7 euros for a pint of MGD? That's a lot of money for beer, period. For MGD? :dogout:

Yeah, and at the same bars, pints of everything else were like 2/2.5... max 3 in the smaller bars. We were in some of the more touristy bars so stuff was pretty costly about half the time, but even in the small little places full of old men watching soccer MGD was there. Half of the guys had whiskey, the other half a split betweer Carlsberg, MGD, and Murphys/Guinness, and the house cask.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Cellar Raid!

This isn't the oldest bottle... But the newest one!

Bruery Hottenroth. This is the first Berliner I've ever had. It's a little musty smelling, but that could just be my defective nose. Lots of lemon, and I dunno... granny smith apples and that creamy wheaty texture. It's got a pretty dry finish too. I would drink enough of these to get drunk if they were available, and not a billion Canada Fun Bucks.

DOUBLE BONUS ROUND:

2012 Dieu Du Ciel Rigor Mortis ABT/Quad.

Sort of smells like caramel and some cherries. It's thick, sort of oily and tastes like a light maple syrup dribble over raisins. Whats really odd is the bitterness that pops in at the end, like an old IPA thats just ... bitter. It doesn't last long, and it makes you want to have another sip to cover it up. All the usual suspects are there just in slightly more muted.

No pics because I am a scrub.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Cromlech posted:

so is a sour stout as disgusting as it sounds?

I really liked Tart of Darkness, it's like a fruity burnt wine barrel in your mouth in the best way. It may take some getting used to. I love the complexity and strangeness of soured anything. If you can get a Flanders Red/Brown give it a go start falling into the rabbit hole that are sours.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Welp. I will die this December.

That's 4 beer advent calenders. All but one were given as a pre-Christmas gift.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I'm a a big dumb idiot who will buy it.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I found spontankoppi to be one of the worst of the bunch that I've had. It just didn't jive for me. That being said, it was in the 'acceptable' range. I thought Spontanframboos was great, and I loved Betelgeuze. The spontanpeach I had was tough to pull a lot of peach out, so when you did get that little whiff or taste, you were just so god damned happy.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Uhhhh, So I have a stubby of Molson Stock ale from the 70's. Should... should I drink it?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

ReaperUnreal posted:

Right, so now City Beer Store is a priority. 3F is basically impossible to get in Canada, I found one bottle of the geuze in a liquor store in Vancouver, and that's it. Cantillon at least has bottles all over Toronto in bars.

You need to hit Edmonton. A couple of stores has 3F gueuze and Golden Blend on the regular, Cantillon sporadically ( a couple cases of rose and grand cru bruocsella (the lambic bio one) were sitting on shelves a week ago) , as well as heaps of Tilquin gueuze, and quetsche just showed up as well.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

toenut posted:

Whoa, that's the coolest label I've seen since Dayglow IPA

The description on the side is pretty classy too.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I'm not going to support it until they make a packet with Warrior, black pepper, and gunpowder

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

ReaperUnreal posted:

Bellwoods things

I've only had a couple from Bellwoods, Lost River and Donkey Venom. I rather enjoyed them.

Man, Canadian releases are awesome. The local brewers out west hardly ever run out of stuff. The big local boys still has all 5 versions of their RIS sittin' on shelves (BBA, Cherries+ Barrel, Brett+ Barrel, Rum Barrel, and non BA) after like 8 months. Hell, sours are shelf turds here. A new nano opened up here a couple of weeks ago, (max production cap 150L!) but they make really solid beers and are super chill dudes. They lean more towards the English styles, which I don't think get enough love, so I'm happy about them.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I would personally would not recommend getting a tap and nitro setup for getting fills. The Canadian prairies makes it tough to get reasonable fills. But it could very welll work for you. I have one because I brew like a mad man and bottling is for people less lazy than me.

I haven't made any wheats yet, but there are plenty of liquid yeast from Wyeast (1010) and White Labs (300, 320, 351, 380) that would do fine. Just be sure to check the expected flavours and then pick the one you like best. Other, more neutral yeasts can be used. If you want a clear beer, a lot of the 'wheat' yeasts don't flocculate well, so your beer will be cloudy.

For all your brewing needs, hit up The Return of the son of The Homebrew thread.

E: beaten.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

danbanana posted:

Beer talk: yesterday I drank a 2013 Oro De Calabaza and it was good. Weirdly, it came off sweeter than I think it is fresh. But the brett was super fruity so maybe that was the reason? I dunno. I don't know if I'd recommend holding onto bottles of this but it doesn't hurt.

I don't know what it is about where I live, but this one store seems to have an endless supply of 2012 Oro De Calabaza. Maybe I'm the only one buying it? That said, I've never had one fresher than 2 years old, which is weird because they get a case or two of stuff now and then from JP with relatively recent bottle dates. Either way, I like it and will continue to buy it.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Eejit posted:

I'm going to be in Calgary in about 10 days actually. Aside from Big Rock and Wild Rose, are there any other must visit beer spots in town?

Not from Calgary here, but I try to keep up with the Alberta beers. I haven't been to many of these places, but I'll give it my best shot. Not many of them make it across the border into Saskatchewan. You'll be have access to a lot of Canadian brews in Calgary at liquor stores. Western Canada is a little behind on the beer train. Lots of stuff from Quebec, Ontario and BC are available in AB though.

Breweries:

Village Brewing; I've had a couple. Blacksmith and Undertaker are pretty good.

Toolshed Brewing: Makes 3 beers. A hoppy red, IPA, and cream ale. Red Rage, the red, is probably the best of the 3. Star Cheek, their IPA is pretty solid if it's not 8 months old. They also do casks pretty much every other day apparently, and tiny one off batches.

Last Best Brewing: Haven't had anything from them, but untappd seems to like them

The Dandy Brewing Company: Like Last Best, I haven't had any of their stuff.

Brewsters: A chain of brewpubs. Usually pretty average, with some winners scattered about. You can go, eat, drink, and buy beer to take home right in the restaurants.

Six Corners Brew works: Not really in Clagary, but readily availble. Ex-Brewmaster fro Paddock Wood Brewing in Saskatoon. Trailhead IPA is pretty good, Stump Splitter is good, and I haven't had Post'N Bale.

Places

CRAFT Beer Market: Large number of rotating taps, usually large amount of Canadian stuff on tap. Occasionally they toss on stuff like De Ranke, Chimay, a steady supply of Unibroue and DDC is also usually available.

Beer Revolution: Taps rotate as soon as a keg kicks. No macro at all. They keep their site up to date.

Bottlescrew Bills: I've heard a lot of good about this place, but never been. Something like 300 beers (bottle+tap).

Stores:

With private liquor stores in AB it can really be a crapshoot. Some places stock nothing but macro, while others stock anything they can get their hands on. Some places also do growlers.

ZYN: Liquor Store. Never been, but they on the Alberta Liquor Connect site, they seem to stock every single item that makes it in the province

Willow Park Wines: Liquor store. Never been, but they on the Alberta Liquor Connect site, they seem to stock every single item that makes it in the province

Co-op Liquor: Chain stores. Selection varries, but I've found some cool stuff there. They always seem to have a stock of 3F Geuze and Golden Blend

Kensington Wine Market: Liquor Store. Huge beer list. Their site lists their inventory, but it's often out of date.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Eejit posted:

Oh man thanks so much!

I thought about it more

I may be a shameless sap here, but when you're in Calgary try to snag a 4-pack of Black Bridge Brewing- Milk Stout, or if it made it out of Saskatchewan, a bottle of their Saison Deux Fois La Taille. Another fun thing to do is mix Wild Rose's Velvet Fog with their Wraspberry ale. I personally don't buy a lot of Big Rock, as I find the house yeast a little to bold in some of their beers. Their one-offs and darker beers are pretty good. You should also be able to find 2 Sargents Bangalore IPA (check the canning dates or get it on tap) its made at Toolshed until they open their brewery. Fresh it's pretty great, but it drops off pretty quick.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Loads of Canadian brewers toast check-ins. I've even had a check-in that said "pretty bland and un-inspired" get toasted. I get a few DM's from one or two specific breweries on twitter if I rated low asking to explain what I thought was off. Some locals are EXTREMELY interactive and toast every single check in, while others only toast positive ratings.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

cryme posted:

i'm all for it if it means i can get pivo & easy jack locally

This means I might even see some making it's way into Canada. All the other Duvel owned brewers are making it in. Ommegang a few yeas back and Boulevard this spring. Knowing our system it'll only be in one province and won't start to show up until 2017.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Can't we just let him set up his illegally stocked bottle shop in peace?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Holy poo poo. My local beer group is imploding at an alarming rate. The question "How fresh is it, whats the bottle date?" has gone full retard and is now a series personal attacks and brewers slamming each other. It was funny for like the first 60 replies, but for fucks sake, openly slamming other brewers and making persoal attacks on social media is a pretty lovely way to represent a brand.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

any good digs to share?

Not really. Unless you're familiar with the beer scen in Saskatoon Saskatchewan.... Some smart remarks about if a beer was less than 2 months old (Thanks SLGA!) he would drink nothing but one of the less adventerous breweries for a month and then a distributor and the brewer started going at it with a dude who likes to troll people. More brewers and people joined up launching personal attacks and shaming eashother business/skills. The only useful information came, oddly, from one of the guys on the attack somehow managed to have normal productive discussion on disrto laws with another brewer who didn't get involved.

We're like 10 years behind where the US is at, but the scene just exploded since early 2014. It's growing pains, but still dumb.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I live in Saskatoon. A land where a $48 24-pack of Bud is "a pretty good deal"

SK has seen some growth, though less than Alberta. With 7 new breweries opening in the past 2 years. A couple are pretty boring or outright bad, and a couple are good enough to pretty good. It's a rough place to be.

Canadian liquor laws are just batshit crazy. Most havent changed since the early 1920's.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Semi-Gloroius news for Canada both Firestone Walker and Ballast Point will be making their way into Alberta in the next 6 months. The bad news is it's going to be 2 months old by the time it hits shelves because reasons.

In other news one of our local breweries did a gose that was pretty good, better than Anderson Valley (non blood orange) as thats my only comparison. They are also tapping a beet beer friday and it's, like, bright pink.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Well, that'll keep my news feeds full of retardation for the next little while.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

I've been trying everything I can find from Fernie Brewing

Oh Fernie. I love the town and the mointain, but FBC, I can take it or leave it.

First Trax brown is a average brown as well, Black Mammoth tastes like malt extract, Ol' Willy Wit is a decent enough wit, and Sap Sucker is an average maple porter. I don't find Fernie to be a particularily great brewery. Every thing that I've had from them has been very average. The redeming quality is the are inexpensive.

You should check out Aarowhead berwing in Invermere. Thier stuff is higher quality and they recently started bottling, so it's available all over BC and AB.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Jauguocio, there aren't a whole lot of Canadians hanging out here, especially with the beer scene where it's at right now. Besides myself and ReaperUnreal you're like the first one to post more than once. I do my best to keep up with AB/BC/ON/QC happenings, but being in the middle of Sask does me no favors.

I don't know what you have and haven't had so I'm going to assume your in BC somewhere and drop the standard recommendations. Be on the look out for Moon Under Water, Yellow Dog, and Four Winds. I've only had stuff from Four Winds, but people I know rave about Moon and Yellow Dog. Phillips and Central City are also solid"go-to" brewers, regardless of what the Americans here say. WE'RE TRYING, OK.

If you have untappd, add yardsale (thats me!) if you'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Cellar Raid:

I had a Sculpin and a Grapefruit Sculpin.

This may not seem like a big deal to a lot of you, but Ballast Point recently got distro the next province over. I picked it up 6 days ago on a trip back. Yeah, the beer wasteland Western Canada (minus BC) now gets Sculpin. It's not fresh, not even close, I would guess close to 2/2.5 months by the time they hit shelves given how the distributor/system work. Both of them smell good (GF is damned amazing) but don't quite deliver on the taste. I'm not even going to post the price because even I cringed when I bought it. Even at this age, it's better some of the readily available IPAs.

Addendum: Evil Twin Citra Sunshine Slacker just landed too, canned 4.5 months ago. As did the DDC Rigor Mortis, Peche Mortel, and Aphrodisiaque, bottled in at various dates all the way back to January. Our system is awesome.
:canada: