Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Midwest beer goons, how many of you are planning on going to Dark Lord Day this year? So long as I get tickets, my wife, brother in law, father in law, and several friends and local homebrew club members are making the trek from Fort Wayne to Munster. Last year was awesome, and I hope the weather cooperates again this year. Anyone want to meet up and drink ridiculously awesome beer? I'd be down with trading, but if I am going to meetup with some other beer goons I say we break into our cellars and drink some ridiculous poo poo and make other people jealous. Here is my current cellar list I plan on bringing some bottle of Cantillon, Jolly Pumpkin, New Glarus, and some others that I need to open soon. I promise not to be a dick or spergelord, and drinking with goons is generally fun from past experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

People camping outside Founder's (from their Twitter):

People be crazy.

And that's why I have my local bottle shop hold a case for me. I'm not driving 3 hours and then standing in the cold for 12 more hours. I'll pay the $100 for a case and be happy.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Literally 10 seconds after the DLD ticket link went up the site was unusable. Goddamnit 3F, get your loving poo poo together.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I just clicked where the buttons were supposed to load (broken image links showed instead) and got to checkout. And they use a 3rd party ticket retailer to handle their sales, and they throw everything they can at it every year. It's like getting a denial of service attack.

They need to contract something with Amazon's cloud hosting to sort this poo poo out. If Amazon can handle the Black Friday rush, DLD should be a walk in the park.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Oh well, I guess the bottles of '10, '11, '11 Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord, CBS, 2007 Cantillon Iris, and Baller Stout I was going to take with me will just have to get opened on another occasion. Sorry beer goons, I wanted to meet up and party but this poo poo just pisses me off. Especially since they are now $300 a ticket on Stub Hub.

In other news, gently caress you 3F.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Cool :smug: post. There is literally nothing about this that is 3F fault, besides throwing a rather small event that HAS to be that size and everyone in the region salivating over getting tickets every year.

Ummm, yeah 3F is completely at fault? They are the ones that contract this poo poo out, they need to get a site that can handle the traffic?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

ShaneB posted:

It clearly did handle the traffic. The tickets sold out in minutes. It didn't handle your traffic and you are butthurt about it. I didn't get tickets last year, but that's how this poo poo works.

You seem to have a difficult time grasping at how an E-commcerce website should function. Here's a hint, it shouldn't crash halfway through a purchase session. Why are you such a loving douche?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

BoredByThis posted:

Also, Domaine DuPage is a Gluten Free beer. Certified. Kinda cool for those people who have celiac issues.

Where did you find that Domaine DuPage is gluten free? I only saw Prairie Path as gluten free.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Kudosx posted:

I picked up a 4 pack of Hoptimum, and a bottle of Maharaja. I'm drinking the Hoptimum right now, and it's pretty good. I think it was priced very reasonably at $9.99/4 pack, considering the high ABV.

Is this years Hoptimum drinkable? Last year being the premiere for it, it was a boozy, bitter mess. As one goon once said about drinking unbalanced IPAs, it "was like being throat hosed by an ethanol-soaked hop dildo".

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

20ozMonkey posted:

Lagunitas is expanding to Chicago!

The prospect of seeing Lagunitas on shelves here in Indiana is loving awesome. Now if we could just get Russian River, Deschutes, and Firestone Walker to expand eastward...

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I'll drive up from Fort Wayne if you guys are gonna have a meetup. I've got a lot of rare poo poo that needs to be drank. However it is mandatory that I hit up Zingermans and JP.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

Goddamn, made it to Toronado in SF tonight. Biggest bunch of dickbag bartenders I've ever met in the beerscene. If they didnt have any Russian River or Deschutes that I wanted to try on tap I would have left instantly. Never before have I seen such a tremendous rear end in a top hat at a bar. Especially even AFTER he knew we were from out of town. gently caress that place.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Honestly it mirrors most craft beer drinkers, in that once you've gone through the phases of Bud/Miller/Coors, into mild British offerings like Newcastle, Bass, Guinness, then into IPA land, then into big Russian imperials and barrel aged monsters, finally culminating in funky Belgians, sours, and off the wall poo poo. Then you realize I really like to drink well made German lagers and balanced session beers, I don't always need to drink 12% 120 IBU DIPAs.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Goose island, 3 floyds, founders, dark horse, jolly pumpkin.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Had a Greenbush Brewery Doomslayer, an American strong ale brewed with maple sap. Had a really nice maple finish, almost pancake like. Anyone else had anything from them? Seems like they are just making it into Indiana.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

escape artist posted:

What are the main differences between BORIS and DORIS? Besides $5 in price.

Is DORIS out? I've never seen it here in Indiana, but I am going to Cleveland this weekend and if I can score some I want to.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Anyway, this Saturday in Chicago I hope a few of you (and I'll probably bug the few of you I've met fyi) will come to a bottle share. We are going to start here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/barbari-cafe-chicago at 4:30pm. I imagine we'll be there for a couple of hours, after which we will be hitting some bars in the area like Happy Village, Small Bar, and where ever else we want to go. If you're gonna go, send me a PM and I can give you my phone # in case you are wanting to hit us up later in the evening. I'll probably be bringing some Jolly Pumpkin and Founders stuff though so you better come and help me drink it. :mad:

If I hadn't just taken a weekend vacation to Cleveland last weekend I'd be up for this. As it is, the wife and I need to get some stuff done around the house or I'd make the drive. Really makes me wish that Fort Wayne still had Amtrak service.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I'm thinking of hosting a tasting at my place in Ann Arbor in 2-3 weeks (weekend after July 4th?), so keep that one in mind if you are looking for a road trip idea.

Got a brewday/drunk swimming pool day planned for the 4th.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Hey goons, just as a reminder I'm having a beer tasting on July 14 at my place in Ann Arbor. I'm planning a 7pm start at this point unless I get more people coming from out of town, in which case I'd start earlier. Send me a PM ASAP if you're interested, I'm trying to get an idea of how many will be coming.

Edit: Start time changed to 4pm.

I sent you a PM. Sounds like things are shaping up to be a boozy good time!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Looks like we're gonna have 11 people for this thing. Might have to re-arrange furniture or something. :stare:

I guess I have to decide what to throw into the fridge now....

I have confirmation that Nominal and another friend of mine will be joining us. I'm bringing New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red, Founders Blushing Monk, and Upland Gilgamesh. My friend is bring 2012 Dark Lord, and something else. I dunno what Nominal is bringing. I'll probably also bring a growler or two of homebrew.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Impromptu beer tasting with Sirotan and crew was a success! Much good beer was had by all! Thanks everyone for not being spergy goonlords!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Aww yeah I did.

(Click for huge.)

Not pictured: An empty bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Collababeire that goon Afire brought home with her, and a growler of homebrew from Huge_Midget.

Thanks to everyone who came! Huge_Midget & co, did you guys made it to any beer stores on the way out of town?

I think my favorite of the night was the Gilgamesh. The 2012 Dark Lord was just incredibly sweet, too sweet for me honestly. Also I think I hated the Frangelic Mountain Brown, the hazelnut was just too overpowering and frankly disgusting. I've got a bottle of it leftover myself so....maybe if I age it a bit it will get less nasty?

Also, there were some beers left behind, which I believe was intentional, but I found a Teddy Bear Kisses in my main fridge that I'm thinking was not. Who's is it and how do you want me to get it back to you?

Keep the Teddy Bear Kisses, it's yours. We stopped at the Super Liquor 4 and while it has a pretty nice selection, they only had JP Oro. Plum market was closed by the time we would have got there.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Honestly he just sounded like sort of a spergy beer nerd/control freak from his previous correspondence. It wasn't until an hour ago when I googled him and found his website that I became actually horrified. But I already committed to go, the guy is probably (hopefully) harmless, and I'd feel like a dick to skip out at this point.

Besides, if I don't bring my 48 ounces of beer along it will totally wreck his calculations. :ohdear:

Corbet posted:

Sadly I'm stuck going too. He was probably really annoyed when I swapped out one of the beers I decided to bring a few hours ago and ruined his precious ounzes.

I'll definitely try and take some pics/video.

When I have a tasting here in the Fort, I EXPECT EVERYONE TO ARRIVE PROMPTLY AT 6:42 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME FOR APPROXIMATELY 85 DRAMS OF BEER AT SQRT(-1)% ALCOHOL BY MASS (ABV IS FOR PUSSIES). IF YOU ARE NOT REASONABLY DRUNK WITHIN AN HOUR, WE (THE COMMUNITY) WILL CHECK YOU PHYSICALLY. ROOFIES WILL BE ADMINISTERED PROMPTLY UPON PASSING A SOBRIETY TEST.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

We're in the explanation stage now.

Literally using a measuring cup to get 2oz per beer lollll

I am so angry that I am not there to experience what a glorious clusterfuck this must be. I promise that I'll try to make my tasting even more asinine, although I have no idea how I could top this guy's sperge levels.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Cool, a can of PBR was just distributed.

Tell them in your most disdainful, haughty voice that it's no 1999 vintage Harley Davidson ale.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Founders Breakfast Stout is literally the perfect stout. I'll loving cut anyone that disagrees.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I have hosted two tastings at my place so far and it was mostly goons from Michigan and surrounding states. I could be convinced to host another one soon.....

After this weekend I should know my wife's work schedule for the next few months, so I'd be down with hosting the next one here at my house in Fort Wayne if people are willing to make the drive...

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Anyone up for a Bolt Cutter meetup day?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

(Don't eat while reading this post.)

So, you know the Rogue beard-yeast beer? Yeah, that's pretty gross. But not as gross as the thought of making beer with yeast from your vagina!!!!!

http://jezebel.com/5947058/just-so-you-know-you-cant-make-beer-from-your-vagina

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

img-ZeGogglesDoNothing

That's a mental image I'm not getting out of my head for a long, long time.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

So anyone going to Hunahpu day wanna pre-arrange trading me a bottle? I'll provide a cellar list.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Bam Bier is gonna be on tap around here p. soon. Any other JP releases I should try out?

Sirotan posted:

Bam Bier is probably the most boring thing they make so I'm going to just suggest you try everything. I especially love La Roja and Oro de Calabaza.

La Roja and Oro De Calabaza are both solid. Madrugada Obscura is really good too. Maracaibo Especial and Noel De Calabaza are really good if you can find them.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Also holy gently caress when did Bourbon County go up to $25 a 4 pack? Christ.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Michigoons (and those nearby), I am tentatively planning another beer tasting at my place in Ann Arbor on December 15. If the 15th doesn't work out for a lot of you I could hold it on the 22nd, assuming we aren't all dead due to the apocalypse. I know there are a few new beer goons nearish to me, would love to see some new faces. PM/reply to express interest, thx.

I'll have to check with my wife on our schedule, I think we should be back from Vegas by then. Any theme to this tasting, or is it just bring what you want?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I dunno, do you think I should have a theme? The one tasting I went to with a theme was super dumb so I'm inclined to not have one....

Not so much a theme as hey, everyone bring at least one beer of X type. Stout, sour, Belgian, etc. It's your party, I'm just gonna show up with booze :coal:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Between this, Voodoo doughnut, and the beard yeast, Rogue has taken the crown from Dogfish Head as shittiest gimmick brewery ever. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they try culturing yeast from some chick's vag and making some cooter beer.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I'm going to be in Vegas next week and I was wondering if there is anything worth seeing out there that is beer related? Any awesome beer bars or kick rear end liquor stores with amazing selections?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

For anyone digging on Flanders Reds, if you can find a bottle to trade for, Upland's Gilgamesh is loving stupid good. It's aged in bourbon barrels, and at 10.5% it is dangerously drinkable.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I still stand by my original statement that Hopslam > Pliny. :colbert:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Hopslam > Pliny.

There, I said it. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Fixed it for you.

As far as I'm concerned, PtY might as well not even exist because it essentially exists for 1 day a year in like a dozen bars in California. I'm talking about yearly, semi-widely available IIPAs. I've had a 3 day old PtE and I've had day old Hopslam and I can say without reservation that Hopslam is a better beer. I get that west coast IPAs are liquid hops with a thin malt backbone, but to me Hopslam is a more complete beer with the better malt background. You can probably drink more PtE in a sitting because it has a thinner mouthfeel than Hopslam, but I'd rather drink a Hopslam for the balance and the amazing taste.