Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Cervixalot posted:

I'm ready! I'm hoping i'm able to snag a pair of tickets to FOBAB this year - do these typically sell out at Dark Lord/El Catador Club pace?

El Catador took almost a week to sell the in person memberships, not sure how fast the online ones went, I just got my two bottles of Forgotten Island and signed up for my bottle of the 110K+OT batch #6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache
May 11, 2004

Aratoeldar posted:

Anyone have DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus!?

I liked it on draft in their restaurant, wasn't as good bottled. I'd rate it behind CCB snack attack as far as chocolate/peanut butter beer goes.

Apache
May 11, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Just get it at the brewery! There's only been about a 5 hour span in CCB's history where there wasn't Jai Alai available in cans/bottles in the tasting room, and that was a very stressful 5 hours.

What else do you have in the tasting room right now in bottles and cans? I need to get some stuff for the next BIF and may stop by tomorrow.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'm heading to the Chicago area on Wednesday. Planning to visit the Revolution brew pub, Piece Pizza, and 3 Floyds. Are there any other breweries worth visiting aside from Two Brothers(which I've visited previously)? Also, will I be able to get Revolution brews from area liquor stores? I'm guessing the best place to buy the 3 Floyds beer is the brew pub unless they distribute out to the Chicago suburbs(I'll be staying in Naperville).

Apache
May 11, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

This sounds mighty tasty....

Could that possibly be the last Catador bottle...?

Also, How do you guys generally cellar your beer if you lack a basement? I'm thinking chest freezer plus temperature controller would work fairly well. I also saw some people buying wine fridges to cellar the beer, but I'm thinking the chest freezer would be more efficient.

Apache fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 27, 2013

Apache
May 11, 2004

Tried a Don Gavino's Big Guava today on tap at CCB. I didn't get much of the chardonnay taste from the barrel aging, just a slightly tart and boozy ale. I think it will be the only one of the three Catador releases that I won't rush to buy an extra one of if/when they become available to members. I wasn't able to get over to the brewery the last few nights when they have Illuminating the Path and Good Gourd Almighty available for members, but from the comments I've read, they sound amazing. Did any of you guys get to try them on draft?

Also, any Tampa area guys going to the Cajun Cafe beer festival tomorrow?

Apache
May 11, 2004

So I ordered a chest freezer for a beer cellar and here it is with most of my beer in it, the box underneath the CCB bottles has more CCB limited release/Catador stuff in it. The temp is set to 45 degrees now, which means the temp controller will let the temp go from 45 to 42 degrees. Is that too low a temp for a long term beer storage and aging?

Apache
May 11, 2004

Uuudar posted:

Haha, ZD is pretty volatile, but I think it's about the month mark it really starts to lose it.

Also, prob want to set that thing to 55 degrees. Should be easier on your electricity bill that way too.

The ZD is about 2 weeks old. This is also doubling as a beer fridge. After the ZD is gone I will set the temp up to 50-55.

Apache
May 11, 2004

So I cracked open the Life is Like... collaboration between Mikeller and CCB yesterday, and it was kind of disappointing. I did get a nice chocolate candy like aftertaste, but no cherry flavor to speak of, just the chocolate and bourbon flavors.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I finally was able to find some Dirt Wolf yesterday, and it was very nice and balanced. Also tried the Southern Slice collaboration from CCB and Terrapin. It was on the sweet side, but no boozy taste, which is good for a 10.8% beer. Also picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Bombay Beserker, which seemed interesting at the time. Has anyone tried that one? I didn't know Indian Style Stout was even a thing.

Apache
May 11, 2004

crazyfish posted:

I disagree on the "any of the sour sisters" point, because I love the gently caress out of Juliet. But the others are definitely not worth the price, and definitely try lots of Jolly Pumpkin and the Belgian stuff before you try any of the sisters.

Also, my first beer in 21 days was a Bell's Two Hearted. Classic and still an amazing beer to break the fast with.

What would be a good price point on the sisters? A new liquor store opened near me and has at least 10 each of Halia, Gillian, Juliet, and Lolita, ranging from 18(Halia) to 29(Gillian) per bottle. Gillian sounds intriguing, but at 29 for the bottle seems a bit steep. I'm just getting into sours now, with the CCB lacto guava grove being the best I've had so far.

Apache
May 11, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

My girlfriend is going to be in Orlando this week and she offered to pick up some beer for me. She'll be staying near the airport. Are there any decent bottle shops not too far from there? also what local breweries and beers should she be on the lookout for?

There's a Total Wine somewhere in Orlando that will likely have some Jai Alai and other CCB staples. There also might be some stuff from Orlando Brewing. Unfortunately most of the FL breweries don't bottle much, meaning the only way to take any away is in growler form. She may also have luck at any local ABC stores, as many of them have recent growler bar additions.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Had some 2014 Huna today aged on Buddy Brew coffee beans at the eggs and kegs return of the brewers event, the coffee meshed well with the slight heat of the chilies and the cinnamon, very good stuff. That and the 7th Sun cherry vanilla porter were probably the best of the beers there.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Docjowles posted:

My main store has the worst "rewards" program ever. It's something like for every $1000 you spend you get a coupon for 10% off one purchase, and it expires absurdly fast, like a week after you earn it. I've gotten a few across many years of shopping there and I don't think I've ever successfully used it. I want to save it up for a big purchase and not save 80 cents on the six pack of Odell or whatever I was buying at the time. Then it expires before I come back :saddowns:

:cawg: dis guy

One of the stores near me does a 15% discount for a 6 pack, but their other rewards program is basically a 10% off your total order after spending $500, but I think you have a decent amount of time to use it.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Podima posted:

Good deal! It's not a huge priority but it would be nice to help the guy out, he and I used to be roommates so we're cool. Ideally I'm looking for tips on how he can get it without too much effort (I might send him up to NY, since apparently they've got it and it'd be a 45-minute drive for him... not too bad) but whatever works.

Enjoy Huna Day, everyone who's going!

Speaking of Huna Day, who else is going? it might be a good chance to meet some of the posters in this thread in person.

Apache
May 11, 2004

deadwing posted:

I'll be there, I'm local. I'm also getting on a bus right now to Peg's for BA Day if anyone besides A Bag of Sun Chips and I will be there.

I was at work today, meaning I missed out on it. I had the opportunity once to try Rarer DOS and it was great stuff. Maybe we can meet up at Huna day tomorrow.

Apache
May 11, 2004

On a cooking with beer note, I've had some good success with Guiness ice cream, but I'm thinking of mixing it up a bit and using Troegs impending descent this time, I'm thinking the light chili and spice in it would work well with the milk chocolate ice cream. Any thoughts?

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'll be heading to Philly for a night prior to attending a wedding in Hershey over the memorial day weekend. Any notable bars and bottle shops near the city center? It looks like Monk's cafe is near there, so that's a plus. Also, are breweries in PA allowed to sell from their taprooms directly? I want to try and hit Victory and Troegs while I'm in the area and it'd be nice to bring back some seasonal stuff.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Me in Reverse posted:

***Warning: Philly beer is loving expensive.

The best place in Philly to buy beer is New Jersey. :v:

Best beer shops actually in Philly, though:
Foodery on 10th & Pine
Bottle Bar East on Frankford Ave (you probably won't be anywhere near here)
Beer Heaven on Columbus Blvd (you also probably won't be anywhere near here)

The answer to "bars?" is always Monk's, so you're set. Monk's is on 16th & Spruce. Great food, and a killer beer selection.

Yes, taprooms sell to-go, bottles and growlers.

If you're going to go to Victory I'd recommend getting growlers of their *thirty* taps instead of bottled stuff -- they don't bottle much, it's well distro'd, and there's better stuff on draft.

Troegs has a Tasting Room and a General Store, and you should be able to find anything of theirs on-site. They also have Scratch Series beers on draft, usually do growler fills of them too.

EDIT: And you cooouullldd always take the Paoli/Thorndale line Regional Rail from center city to Ardmore and walk a block (or drive) to Tired Hands.

Nice, I'll probably skip city proper for bottles and stick to what I can get at taproooms. I'll look into Tired Hands, I've never had any of their stuff.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Opened up my lone bottle of 2014 KBS last night. It's rare in my opinion that such a hyped beer lives up to the hype, but it was great. Nice coffee flavors with just a hint of chocolate and bourbon.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Hey South Florida guys, are there any interesting breweries or bars to hit up near Deerfield Beach area aside from Funky Buddha in Oakland Park? I'm heading there for work for a couple days.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I've been to the lounge before, I might try to convince my coworker to hit up due south in boynton beach tomorrow and possibly hit up the lounge on the way back to the hotel in Deerrfield beach.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

You also might want to consider at least checking out the tap list for the original Funky Buddha in Boca. Sometimes they've got some really good stuff there that hasn't ever been on tap in Oakland Park, and it's a much different place. If you catch an event at the right time there's incredible lineups and less crowds than you'll ever see at the brewery.

For example, here's the May 30th aniversary party for the brewery(but at the lounge):

Rich Uncle Pennybags Porter (Chocolate Cherries soaked in Malbec)
Pina Colada Wheat aged with Chardonnay
Rum Raisin Imperial Stout
Red Velvet Cake Red Ale
Fluffer Nutter Brown Ale
French Toast Brown
Red Rum Red Ale (Coconut Rum Red ale)
Maple Bacon Coffee Porter
Vanilla Espresso Stout
Barrel Aged Berliner
Margarita Berliner

That'll probably be way easier to get a beer and be less of a shitshow than the brewery would for even lesser beers.

Apache
May 11, 2004

crazyfish posted:

Did Cigar City Grandmule ever get released? That was the best. Or girlkisser's CCB/Patriot Joe's edit.

My guess is that it will be part of Catador Club round 2 along with the rum barrel aged Cafe Americano.

Apache
May 11, 2004

We're heading to Budapest(3 days), Salzburg, and Vienna in October, any reccomendations on places to visit while we're there, beer related or otherwise? We've already signed up for a walking beer tour in Budapest

Apache
May 11, 2004

Harminoff posted:

So people that have the beercamp, what's your top 3-4?

I was kind of let down by the New Glarus and think it's not the best showing of what they can do.

The Yvan was my favorite, but I also liked the Ballast Point IPL and the Oskar Blues Belgian pale.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I bet this saturday at CCB it's going to be a fun day. I plan on getting there around noon and I know all the fun stuff is going to be gone by then.

The fun stuff is el catador only, I can't believe all that many will show up at 11, or at least I hope they don't. If shown up when they tapped other el cat only stuff and it wasn't too bad.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

After the catador signups that sunday there was a ton of people in the tasting room. I hope it's not going to be that bad.

I think that those weren't catador only tappings though, anyone who showed up could get some, but I could be wrong.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

So what happened to the sale of the extra bottles of this?

We've yet to hear from the CCB Catador guys on the new online sale date for the extras.

Apache
May 11, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

the Birch, the Birch, and the Birch- they're having Zwanze Day there. if the Taphouse in Ghent is still around, they should have a good selection, too. as for shops, both of the TWs are crap, go to Grape and Gourmet in Virginia Beach.

like O'Connor, Beach Brewing is whatever, and i've heard that Young Veteran's makes a few decent beers, but is also average overall. while i hope everyone is elevating their game, Smartmouth is definitely leader of the pack. there are a few newer places coming up (Two Dads, Big Ugly, Back Bay ((contract-brewed at St George))), but i haven't heard anything about them. St George is fine if you want by-the-book classic styles and they make a really good Oktoberfest.

there are probably more good beer spots, but i haven't lived there in a number of years (i stop at the Birch whenever i'm down there, though).

oh, and go to Doumar's and get a Taylor pork roll sandwich for me.

Good to know. I'l be visiting the area in November, I'll definitely check out Smart Mouth, the Grape and Gourmet, and the Birch.

Also, took a trip to the new Brew Hub for their grand opening tonight, it's worth checking out if you're driving past Lakeland on I-4. They had a decent selection of Cigar City including Zhukov on draft tonight, that along with Terrapin Rye Cubed were my favorites.

Apache fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 6, 2014

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'll be heading to Steigl in a couple weeks during my vacation. Does anyone know anything about their house beers? Anything definitely worth picking up? I saw the Paracelsus listed as someone's favorite earlier, so I'll definitely get some of that. Anyone have other recommendations on beer places to see in Vienna, Salzburg, or Budapest?

Apache
May 11, 2004

Not a cellar raid day(couldn't drink during the last one due to being on call), but I cracked open a Terrapin Dos Cocoas from 2012 as well as a Brew Dog Tokyo 18.2% last night. The Terrapin was great, the chocolate hadn't faded much from being fresh as all. The Tokyo was probably the thickest beer I've ever had, fairly good tasting, but on the sweeter side than I'd like, not quite Southern Tier Creme Brulee or CCB Pecan Pie sweet, but enough that any more than 10-12 oz would have been difficult to drink.

Apache
May 11, 2004

a worthy uhh posted:

El Catador Club Lottery is Live

The lottery item is... Rum Barrel-aged Caffè Americano Double Stout

Just entered it, hoping to go 3 for 3 in the lottery so far, though this one has the worst odd of the three if the same number of people sign up as before. It looks like more people tried to get Leon than Grandmule, If Cafe Americano has that number, odds will be less than 50/50. My guess is that the next lottery will be for any bottles left over of Da un Beso a la Botella. Has anyone tried that one yet?

Apache fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 20, 2014

Apache
May 11, 2004

Fat Lou posted:

One upside of working at a liquor store is getting first crack at Bourbon County stuff and getting it 15% off. No waiting in lines for me. I would feel guilty, but I am working on Thanksgiving, so...nah. Don't worry, I am poor and will only buy a four pack and maybe a bomber. :unsmith:

No lines for me either, the place closest to me took reservations for the bottles that are coming available on Friday, so I'm guaranteed one, which is a good thing since I'm working Friday, though hopefully I'll be out by noon and able to hit up Cigar City.

Apache
May 11, 2004

One of the benefits of living in the middle of nowhere, FL. Was able to put my name on a list on Wednesday, and then pick up my 4 pack of BCBS this afternoon after work. No lines, no waiting.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Got to try some of the 2014 BCBS Monday night on draft at Datz in Tampa, evidently they also had the vanilla and coffee until last Friday, it was nice but I'm thinking it will be better in a year when it mellows a bit.

Apache
May 11, 2004

No beery presents this year for me, but I'll be enjoying my second bottle of Pliny the Elder later today courtesy of a trade with wattershed. How long does it really take to drop off? The bottles are about a month old, but I found the first one to be great.

Apache
May 11, 2004

deadwing posted:

I'll be going with a fellow goon. He doesn't post in this thread and I don't know his name because Lowtax made him a baseball man, but I want to make sure I meet all you goons since there might actually have space to meet this year.

I'll be going as well, provided work doesn't interfere. Had a good time hanging out with leafhouse. I may take some vacation ahead of the fest to hit other Tampa Bay Beer Week events as well.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I went to Angry Chair brewing yesterday, another of the newer Tampa Bay area breweries, and sampled everything on tap there. The stand outs were their two stouts, a German Chocolate Cupcake Stout and a very good milk stout. They also had a decent gose and a good red ale as well. The Girthquake braggot was interesting as well, I got a lot of the orange blossom honey mead taste in there along with a lot of hops. The only downside is that the brewery has about 4 parking spots on the premises and you may have to park a bit away and walk over there.

Apache
May 11, 2004

deadwing posted:

No mention of 3 Little Birds? I think it's a toss up between that and Cycle Fixie for the best year round beer in Tampa Bay.

3 Little Birds was pretty good as well, though the Florida Weiss style isn't always my favorite. But the 3 Little Birds was definitely better than the Carlton honey mango sour as far as their sours go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache
May 11, 2004

a worthy uhh posted:

Huna '15 is pretrading at $50 because "that's what it costs" so... yeah it's gonna get worse.

I'm wondering what I could get for a 4 year vertical since I've still got a bunch of 13s and 1 each of 12 and 14 either in a trade or cash in late March after I get my four bottles of 15.