Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Ah here's the beer thread! I've been enjoying a lot of Singlecut Jenny Said and Weird and Gilly lately even though those are downstate. (NY) Grimm also has brought up some good stuff. But there's so much out there.

In SF for a wedding so Ive been able to sample a few different brews out here. Mikkeller's Haze Cadet was pretty tasty. And after a ton of expensive running around I have a case of Pliney to bring home. My local buds have traded back and forth for Treehouse (mmm green), Trillium, Hill Farmstead etc, so I'm sure we'll have a good time with this.

It was bottled 8/29, I bought it 9/9, and people online are still saying if I didn't get it and drink it direct from the barrel it is already ruined lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Should have taken the drive up to the brew pub and bought a case in one shot and an added bonus of doing a 17 or so beer flight. If you're still in SF, check out Cellarmaker and go to City beer down the street.

I got the case from the brewery but had to turn right around and drive back to a wedding - no tasting for me. If it is unusual that the bottling date from the brewery was that far back then ... Oh well.

Can I go up market to cellarmaker and over without walking over puke covered bums or through crackton? There seems to be a number of pockets of that around here.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

air- posted:

Welcome please send me Suarez Family pilsners

I get it up here draft on occasion as one of the micro draft houses does a drive and exchange with them or their distribution. I don't think it comes up bottles or canned - maybe can do a crowler on occasion.

Tasty stuff.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They open at 3 tomorrow and I could probably swing that for an hour or so then I have to get my bags and hit the BART back to SFO. I'm on Powell/Geary anyways and the bar people here say just walk and ignore the junkies. That's worked so far. If I can't get those cans into my bags that'll be airport drinkin.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Ah, I thought your originally meant you went from beer store to beer store buying up PtE wherever you could. It stinks that you didn't have more time north of the bay but glad you're enjoying yourself.

Yeah its just a lot of energy to do anything. I made it to Cellarmaker and grabbed 1 4pk each of double dobis and Mt nelson. That's all I can fit converting my carry on to checked. the zipper is kinda fucky so if TSA opens it ... Well we shall see. Pliney is safe in a wine check.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

krustster posted:

I also got some Tilquin Mure and Quetsch, I thought about getting a 750 of the Mure but restrained myself and got a little one instead. How good are these? Like, next time it comes here should I stock up wildly? I tried the regular gueuze years ago and liked it and I was like oh these fruit things look fun but I don't feel like drinking them right now to see for myself. I bought a ton of IPAs and had to cut back on my beer spending you see, but then because I hate money I decided to start buying a bunch of sours and other things that can be stored for a long time instead.

TSA won't destroy your beer just because it's beer, it's okay to have in your checked bag. Unless you mean that maybe they won't be able to close the zipper after opening it, then okay you can worry.

Yeah you gotta jiggle it around to close it completely otherwise some of the teeth won't bind. If they get it mostly closed or throw some tape on it good enough, it was cheap poo poo and if it gets trashed then it does.

I'm assuming that they will open it since it will look like a thing outta die hard with the liquid chambers but maybe they wont.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Phanatic posted:

TSA opened up a taped-up growler of mine and didn't screw the lid back on which meant the half-assed reapplied tape was the only thing holding it together so of course all 64 ounces of AZW grapefruit gose spilled in my luggage.

gently caress the entire TSA.

They ended up ignoring the suitcase with the beer cans actually. They opened the wine case (or someone did - no TSA card) and pulled a bottle to look and mostly put it back. Came back alright minus the luggage lock which was missing. Did okay.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Trillium didn't have anything in the same juicy vein as Treehouse did - at least comparing the Green versus any number of Fort Port variants.

Last time I made the drive up I was planning to do beer and visit my friends at Uncle Ned's Fish Factory. I left here at like 5 AM, drove 6.5 hours, only to have Treehouse tweet out how unusually busy it was and that if you were not already in line ( I was ~25 minutes out) that you were not getting any beer. Disappointing for sure but I had other things to do. Lot of good examples out now so it is not necessary to make a beer pilgrimage unless you're already in the area I guess or you want that check in for Untappd.

Vermont and Maine are still great for a trip, but, that's as there is more to do than drive to a brewery.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As a WNY guy I will be at the Buffalo Brew Fest. Not anything too crazy but Sloop and Gun Hill will be up. Woodcock as well with XPA 10.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

did everyone stop drinking?

brewing a helles today and i am pretty excited to drink it... in like six weeks

Of course not

I went to an Other Half tap takeover just the other day and drank up to avoid alcohol insufficiency.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Woodcock released their DDH galaxy XPA and this one and the juicy coming out of Thin Man have me rethinking the need to drive north east for beers

This one is good!!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is anyone considering the Liquid Arts festival this summer in Ontario? I’m pretty open to going and trying some internationals . Yeasty boys looks good.

On another note I took a winter hellstorm trip to Wisconsin and brought me back some good beers - the Squatters double IPA is really tasty. I hope some more of these things come east.

Also grabbed some of Flying Bison’s Juice Caboose which is okay but I guess I have been spoiled by some of Singlecut or Suarez’s stuff.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Name the beer “Offend This Beer”

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah , their Billy 18 Watt is just okay but there are some juice bombs out there

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Drinking Thin Man Bliss and it poured super hazy. Still okay, I thought it was bottom of the keg. Turns out no, it’s a fresh keg and it wasn’t unsettled so it is just a poo poo batch. Still drinkable IMO. But the bar manager still switched it and gave me a free pour of the newer keg just because. And lines were cleaned yesterday so this is back to excellently juicy without the yeast. I win.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m still not sick of NE IPAs so I’m probably defective.

Having a Zero Gravity NE IPA with some Guava in it and it’s still good !

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Gun Hill IPA today .

It’s good, but also not work the NYC prices outside of NYC.

Whole Foods had it at least $15/4 pints .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Lagers that are extraordinarily good:

Sierra Nevada Summerfest
Victory Prima Pils
Schlenkerla Helles in a can
Super fresh poo poo from your local brewery that knows what’s up
Gennessee Cream Ale

This is actually a crime to inflict Genny Screamers in people

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Did a couple small local IPA and went to a food truck round up. Nashville hot chicken sandwich with a Sierra Nevada torpedo .... good enough!!!!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Same , just grabbed some cans of a simple mosaic IPA from a local brewery on a limited release. Resurgence’s Conehead IPA, named for a man who’s been slinging beers for 40 years at the local ballpark. He always wears a conehead.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Apache posted:

I've got a surplus of Hidden Springs fruited kettle sours and other Tampa beer. I'll send a box to whomever gets closest to a random number generator output between 1 and 100 that I'll run Tuesday afternoon.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Beer with a spoonful of salt ? The gently caress?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m drinking a Sam Adams at an airport bar and I see a salt shaker nearby.

I’m tempted but that could be the worst troll ever.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

DrHammond posted:

But holy loving poo poo California, why have you been hiding New England IPA's from me?

Hammond, his liver opened

I was so used to any old IPA having at least some of those clear qualities that my first IPA in the Midwest being malty as hell caused me to look at the beer as though it were broken.

I’d forgotten how much malty sweetness they jam in there out west. That’s fine but the juicy styles just don’t exist out there either with any regularity. It’s like that thing where butter is different between coasts but beer.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have had a couple key lime recently including Crooked Stave’s Key Lime Tau which I had today.

I’m liking this like trend

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I just had their No Ka Oi the other day, good

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Industrial Arts ... Other Half mmmmmm

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It is me, bad and inverted.

Should I not be liking their beer anymore ?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Kosher man posted:

Whats the beef with Hibiscus? Stuff taste awesome in beer.

Singlecut has one out now , maybe I’ll try it. I like plants.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The Bruts and weird have been good , as a variety , but I still want my pliney and heady topper . No need to change what works .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

MunchE posted:

First of all I hope all you guys are adding the e as a goof

I was walking and battling autocorrect . I would have figured “piney” would have been worse

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m having a jack and Diet Coke cause I wanted a break, and the custom brewcrafters beer here is awful.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Lyon posted:

I'll be Denver the weekend of Far & Away or I was debating about making a mini beercation. To make myself feel better I will make a beer run to Vermont at some point end of summer or early fall.

That’s my plan at some point here. I did a trip up to Boston and got Trillium e z . Treehouse sold out as I was pulling up. Prison city on the way was a good stop.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I was getting gas and found Voodoo Ranger tall boys at the station . Already putting premium in my car, so I did the same for myself.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m drinking a heady while my friend is drinking Allagash white .

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We got Prison City “Riot in Vermont” and Other Half session/IPA along with Lawson’s farmhouse IPA

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

well that would be enough for me not to support them directly

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Lyon posted:

Finished my Vermont pilgrimage and I was a saint until I got to Hill Farmstead. I then made poor life decisions.

The only poor decision would be turning the car around before you got there

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Went to Mortalis again on Sunday to pick up some of their Hydra series fruited sours. Top notch. Swung by Other Half over in the roc for a couple of pints but man do many of their (good!) beers taste super similar.

Anyone else doing the Shelton festival in October?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Fellow Rochestarian?

I like to think that Other Half actually only makes 6 beers and just labels them differently every week and nobody notices. When you make 100's of different IPAs, how different can one really be from another. I do love that they're a 25 minute drive down the road though!

I'll be at the Shelton fest on Saturday with VIP tickets too.

Buffalo area - the drive isn't too bad, but getting there an hour early to find out they have 40 cans and people can take two so you get 0 bites a bit more. I got into the line updates facebook group.

I also have Saturday VIP, going to have to see how trashed I am 15 minutes into it.