Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Yeah, I definitely get the cat piss aroma from beers heavy on the Simcoe hops. I think it's one of those things that only some people are sensitive to, like Summit hops smelling like green onions, or amarillo hops tasting like aspirin.

Citra hops can also give off a cat urine smell. I tried an experimental IPA from Thirsty Dog that wasn't ready for the public because they're still fussing with the recipe, and it smelled 100% like cat piss.

It tasted pretty good, but the smell was rather off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Anyone else here had Founders' Double Trouble IPA? Got a 4 pack and I'm on my third, at 9.4% the alcohol is masked really well by lots of hops and orange/pineapple citrus going on. Golden amber color, not much lacing, pretty well balanced, solid DIPA.

Unfortunately I pulled the 'onion' flavor from Double Trouble, and it's the only Founder's beer I've tried that I didn't like. It also probably didn't help that I picked up a 4 pack of this the same weekend I got a 4 pack of Head Hunter IPA, which I feel is a vastly superior IPA.

I really, really wish I would have been able to pull more of the citrus flavors from Double Trouble, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more. My palate/nose just pulled out all the 'off' flavors, for whatever reason.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

I can definitely see where you're coming from with the onion taste, I probably won't be getting this again. Not as good as a Double Wide or Hop Wallop, or even Maximus IPA to me

I've yet to try Maximus for whatever crazy reason. I've never actually seen it on tap, and every time I go to the store I'm enticed to buy something else instead.

My local beer store ALWAYS has Maximus, but there always seems to be another limited/seasonal beer which I grab instead. One of these days...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

chomper posted:

How long should I age these? I got 2 of each, plus one to drink now.

You can safely age either of them for ~5 years or so. I'm usually afraid of beers losing carbonation after that point, or oxidizing, but I've heard of plenty of people aging beers for 10+ years and them still having carbonation.

I'm fairly impatient, so I couldn't see myself aging a beer for more than two years unless it was something really special.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

So, most San Diegans? I'm lucky in that I can make a round trip growler fill run to Alpine and back in 55 minutes. That same trip's about two and a quarter, two and a half hours for someone who lives, say, by the beach, making their concept of 'locals' pretty silly.

One reason I'm glad I don't live in California: traffic.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

It's not traffic, it's distance, which makes it 55 minutes. Alpine's a loving JAUNT, which was my point, that if they're prioritizing selling beer to 'locals' then their customer base will remain ridiculously small because nobody really lives out there.

Ah, woops. I thought it was traffic that made it such a long trip!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's 73 degrees outside without a cloud in the sky and it's a 5 minute drive to Alesmith, Green Flash and Ballast Point. :smug:

I really wish we got Ballast Point distributed to OH... I want to try some more dank Cali IPAs! I also really wish that you folks got to try some of OH's IPAs... we have some good ones, I swear!

Edit: In other news, Fat Head's in OH won the National IPA Championship, and they've won it 2 out of the last 3 years. Their Head Hunter IPA won it. It's one of my favorite IPAs I've ever tried, I'm really glad they're opening a production brewery!

Here's the bracket if anyone is interested http://brackets.brewingnews.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=418946

It beat beers like Firestone Walker Union Jack, Green Flash West Coast IPA, and Ithaca Flower Power along the way, pretty impressive run!

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 4, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I went to the original FatHeads in Pittsburgh. It was pretty cool and their house beers are pretty good. Better than Two Hearted, Flower Power, Green Flash West Coast, and Hopsecutioner? Not so sure about that.

Did you try Head Hunter? I personally like it more than all of those IPAs, and I've tried all of them.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

People like different things than others? That beer contest wasn't meant to be seen as an end-all be-all list for IPAs? My world is upside down now!

I wasn't trying to say it was... Sorry for trying to post a link about beer in a beer thread!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

Your link was fine, I found it interesting. I was mostly directing it at people attacking it as if it were an end-all authority. It's nothing more than opinion.

Ah, okay. woops! I misinterpreted what you were saying a bit :D

I agree, it's not an end-all authority, just pretty cool that a brewery within 45 minutes from me has a respectable IPA!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

4 HopDevils in and I'm still enjoying them, which is rare for me. I'm glad that Victory is close enough to ensure that all of the beer here is fresh, thanks to various reasons.

I've yet to try Hop Devil, I really need to. I tried Hop Wallop and it was pretty good, but I've yet to try their single IPA.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I picked up two beers to try tonight... Spiral Jetty by Epic Brewing Co, and Arrogant Bastard by Stone. I've never tried either, so I'm pretty excited to be trying both.

Has anyone here tried Spiral Jetty and liked it? I've never tried anything by Epic before, so hopefully I'll like it.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Mmmmm... Arrogant Bastard is such a delicious beer. I was reading some of the reviews for this beer and I thought they were pretty amusing. Roasted coffee and chocolate? I don't get that at all from this beer, and from reading the reviews either do 99% of other people... I feel like some people just write poo poo down for the hell of it.

I'm changing my mind about drinking both beers, though. I think I'm just going to stick with this single bomber of AB for tonight. Two bombers of 7%+ beer is just a bit too much for me on a weekday.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

ShaneB posted:

Midorka parachute account?

Yes, I pay $10 just to increase my circle jerkability.

drat, you're annoying. You literally never respond to my posts with anything which would constitute as 'talking about beer'

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I picked up a 4 pack of Bengali Tiger, and a single can of Tallgrass IPA tonight. I've never tried anything from Sixpoint before, and I've also never tried anything from Tallgrass. I'm pretty excited to try both, I've never tried a good beer from a can!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Munkaboo posted:

I think you'll still be searching.

Yeah, I really want to try Abrasive, Furious, and Heady Topper...

I'm hoping these are at least half decent.

Edit: Half way through my first can of Bengali Tiger and I will say that it is exactly what I was hoping... half decent. It's not bad... but I don't think I'll buy another 4 pack of it. Now I'm wondering if Resin is any good...

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 7, 2012

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

lazerwolf posted:

I think resin is good but different than most DIPAs I've had. It is for a lack of a better word very resinous, not so overly hoppy like most DIPAs but a semi sweet syrupy malt hop combo.

Ahhh... I'm not too sure I would enjoy it then. I enjoy overly hopped beers, cause I'm an idiot. I'm now in the midst of this Tallgrass, and I like it more than the Bengali Tiger, but not by much.

I think both of these are rather mediocre IPAs, although it's still pretty cool to drink a craft beer out of a can.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Corbet posted:

Speaking of canned IPAs, Sixpoint (based out of Brooklyn) just started distributing to Ohio and I picked up their IPA, Resin:

It was pretty good and it hid the alcohol well. Honestly, when it comes to DIPA hype and limidted releases, I haven't really had one that's blown me away. There are plenty of year-round DIPAs that are just as good as limited releases.

Dang! Sounds like I should have gotten Resin instead of Bengali Tiger. Bengali Tiger wasn't too bad, but it's not something I enjoyed greatly. I probably won't be picking up another 4 pack of it anytime soon.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

air- posted:

Lagunitas is right off the highway to/from Santa Rosa and I'm still kicking myself to this day for not stopping by two years ago.

Lagunitas is one of my favorite breweries ever. You should stop there! I've never been there, but it would be one of my stops if I was in the area.

I got to try The Incredible Hop by Fort Collins tonight. It was pretty good, but it just made me realize I'm not the biggest fan of Belgian IPAs, I much prefer American. I also had a Hoppin Frog Raw Hop Imperial Pale Ale, and I thought it was good.

I preferred the Hoppin Frog brew over the Fort Collins, but like I said before I think it's just because I don't like Belgian yeast very much.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

The Brew Kettle Dark Helmet Imperial Schwarzbier (AKA black lager...very nice and bought for the reference alone) to hopefully KBS tomorrow.

TBK just started to put Dark Helmet in 4 packs, pretty awesome! They also started to put their IIPA Old 21 in 4 packs. Previously Dark Helmet and Old 21 were only available in 650ml bottles. I really enjoy both, and I'm glad that TBK is getting distributed quite a bit more nowadays.

I wish they'd increase their production even more... I don't think ANYONE can keep White Rajah stocked. It sells out every place it gets put on shelves within a day or two.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

hopefully KBS tomorrow.

I actually just remembered that the KBS release at Founder's is this Saturday... I hope it makes its way to OH in the following week, I'm really excited to try the stuff.

$20/4 pack is pretty pricey, I'm hoping it's worth the price. I'd like to be able to enjoy a few bottles on St. Patty's day!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Corbet posted:

I'm getting two cases :whatup:

In other news, I believe tomorrow is the "national" release for Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout according to a local store. They're getting 3 cases in.

Yeah, a store local to me said they'll be having it tomorrow as well.

In other news: I now know what flavor people are referring to when they say something smells/tastes like rubber/band aids. I get a lot of that from this Bengali Tiger. Gosh, this is pretty horrible. I think I'm going to pour the half of a beer I have left, and give my remaining can to a friend...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

bananasinpajamas posted:

Final Hunahpu's Day taplist:

:aaaaa:

I wish I was attending, oh man do I wish I was attending.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I'm drinking a bunch of different Stouts tonight. So far I've tried Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, and Dark Intrigue. I couldn't taste much of the barrel aging on the Espresso Yeti, because all I could really taste was the Espresso. I thought it was really deliciuos.

The Dark Intrigue has a little bit of an alcohol bite to it, and you can definitely taste the barrel aging on it. I'd like this one a lot more with a year or two on it, I think.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sirotan posted:

Ahahahahaha jesus. I'm reading about people on BA getting to Founders at 5am and being too far back in line to get any KBS after they changed the limit to a half case per person.

Holy scheisse. Maybe beer releases aren't my type of thing after reading this post... I don't think I could wait in the cold that long for 1/2 case of beer.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Beer: Ithaca Flower Power is good, ever since Kudos mentioned onions that's what I've been pulling from some IPAs :P, but I think that's just what citrus and hops taste like combined :iiam:

Doh! I hope you don't get that flavor from too many good IPAs which you'd enjoy otherwise. I didn't get any onion flavor from Flower Power at all when I tried it, and it's one of my favorite IPAs.

Flower Power in general reminds me of :420:, not that the taste, or smell have a specific weed taste, but the overall essence of the beer just reminds me of it.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Sublimer posted:

I think he cares. In 2010, Sam dumped an entire batch of 120 min IPA.

They dumped a batch of 120 minute in 2011 also, cause it didn't pass Q.A.

They've lost a lot of money dumping 120 minute!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

funkybottoms posted:

whereas most people just lose about ten bucks

120 minute is one of the really highly regarded beers that I have no interest in trying. I've heard far too many bad things, and I'm pretty sure I'd agree with most of them and end up not liking the beer.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I tried Spiral Jetty tonight by Epic. Not sure if anyone else has had it, but I thought it was pretty terrible.

Thankfully, I tried it over at a friends house who just brewed some beer at The Brew Kettle, and his beer was much better!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

Bonus: lots of "great this just means more drinking and driving!"-type comments below the story! Because as we all know, you're more likely to drink out of a giant glass jug while driving, than drinking out of the convenient and discreet 12 oz. bottles they already sell at gas stations. ugh.

:smug: Glad I live in the Akron area where we have a growler station every 10 miles

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I wish I had a store around me that got Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale in regularly. I tried it once and absolutely loved it, and I haven't seen it around since :(

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Ugh. TBA was released today, the collab between Stone/Fat Head's/Bear Republic, and it's available at Fat head's near me.

I want to go buy a couple bottles (Probably 3-4...) but it's $4/bottle, and it's an hour drive each way for me... so with $4/gallon gas prices, it looks like I could end up paying $30 for 4 bottles of beer.

It sounds really, really delicious, but I'm not sure I'm willing to just suck it up and make the trek up there...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Paul Proteus posted:

They released an anniversary version in Chicago with a blue cap and a neck hanger(not sure if this is the one you were talking about). I'd say it was a worse beer but cost more money than the regular.

Yeah, the one with the blue cap is called BORIS 100, and was brewed with different malts. I agree that regular BORIS is the better than both BORIS 100 and BA BORIS.

I do enjoy light barrel aging though, some places over do it way too much and it's hard to taste the actual beer through all the bourbon taste (for me, anyway)

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Jack Skeleton posted:

I had a bomber of their Columbus IPA yesterday and I have to say, it wasn't that great. I enjoy their barrel roll beers and the Double IPA was good. But man was I let down by the Columbus IPA. Also felt it got flat real fast.

I was really disappointed when I read your post at first because I thought you were talking about Columbus Brewing Company's IPA. I then remembered that Columbus is also a type of hops!

Columbus Brewing Company makes a great IPA, by the way.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Tonight its just a little Sumpin' Sumpin'... and that's what's up.

I'm oh so jealous. The past two nights I've been drinking Stone IPA. I had tried it before, but it was just a 4 oz sample. I really got to enjoy it with a 6 pack, definitely a top tier IPA.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

CalvinDooglas posted:

A few years ago Avery had to limit its turnout for release events because the crowd partied too hard and it became a liability. People were getting sick and passing out in the parking lot/lawn and being found the next day.

I know it's not that funny, but I always think it's hilarious when I run across people who I run across in public that are passed out from drinking too much. Here's to hoping they don't die from alcohol poisoning!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
My local store is getting in a few cases of KBS, limited to one 4 pack per customer. I'm going to go pick mine up at noon tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited. I've never tried KBS, and Founder's Breakfast Stout is my favorite Stout I've tried thus far.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

bananasinpajamas posted:

Seeing all these stores getting KBS just makes me more puzzled as to why so many people lined up for the KBS release. I understand Dark Lord and Hunahpu's; you're not getting those bottles anywhere else (legally).

Yeah... it kind of confuses me as well. Like, the store I said was getting some in is actually a grocery store, and they're getting them in at 4 stores all within an hour of each other. If you wanted to make the drive, you could easily get four 4 packs just from that place.

There's also 3-4 other stores in the area that will be getting it in, and I'm sure they'll be a 4 pack limit also, but you could get over a case and a half in my area pretty easily if you tried...

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
gently caress. The amount of people posting saying they're going to the KBS release at this grocery store is absurd. I think I'm gonna have to show up like an hour early just for a 4 pack... it's first come, first serve. Doh!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
So... do any of you guys plan on drinking a poo poo ton tomorrow since it's St. Paddy's Day? I'm going to be picking up KBS tomorrow at noon, but then I'm going to a concert later in the night and have a DD, so I plan on doing a fair amount of drinking.

I hope this isn't too much of a "I hope all you bros are getting wasted like me" post, I was just mostly wondering what everyone will be drinking.

I'm probably going to drink just the KBS and maybe a Bell's Java Stout before the concert because I have to drive to my friends house who is the DD. I'll probably also pick up a 6 pack of some type of IPA for parking lot fun/after the concert... most likely Flower Power, unless I see anything else which looks really good. I really hope that one of my local groceries gets in A Little Sumpin' Sumpin again!

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Manky posted:

Also it's Paddy not Patty.

Woops, I should know this. Thanks for the correction!