Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

HelloSailorSign posted:

I literally broke someone's nose because they sat in my seat.

End seat of back row. You don't screw with that. :colbert:

I'm with you. If I have to tilt my head back to see the projector screen I will smash something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

Just treated to a girl who sits in front of us usually coming in late and there was somebody in the seat she normally sits in, and she literally kneeled down next to the person to tell them they were in her seat and watched for a moment to see if the person would get up.

This really happened. enelrahc is my witness.

vetschool.txt

Didn't your class JUST make a video with that as a scene?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Didn't your class JUST make a video with that as a scene?

The 2013s were reaching into the future. (Our class isn't nearly that creative)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Explosion Sauce posted:

VMRCVM

I'm not a vet/vet student, but I take my horse with his many mystery medical problems to VMRCVM (or, as most people call it around here, "the vet school"). I can attest first-hand that the instructors there are generally great people and I haven't had any problems with any of the ones who have seen my horse. Granted, my experience is on the large animal side, but I can't imagine there'd be much of a difference between large and small animal. If you do go there, you might get to study my horse's sinus cyst adventure as a case study.

One time I was waiting in the large animal hospital waiting area and got to listen to the receptionist argue with a lady that no, she didn't care how much the lady's great dane weighed, it still had to go to the small animal clinic. Ha.

Also, Blacksburg is a really nice and cheap area to live in if that's factoring at all into your decision.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Have any of you ever contracted parasites from your patients? I've gotten ringworm four times in the past two years, but that's it. Heard a story about a vet who got giardia. One of the nurses here says she submits a stool sample every year to her doctor just to be safe.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
I am not too worried anymore. I think we all might be a bit better off if we had some parasites lurking within us to keep that darned immune system busy.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I got ringworm from my foster cats, thankfully haven't passed it on to any animals at prac that I know of, (I stayed away for 2 weeks). A friend or two did pick it up though. Pretty sure ringworm is something that all vets and vet nurses will get regularly.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Cryptosporidium is called the "food animal weight loss plan", since it seems like someone gets it every rotation.

Van Goober
Feb 28, 2005
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Khelmar posted:

Cryptosporidium

Necropsy tech checking in. Crypto is an amazing poo poo-yourself-thin diet

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Yeah, cryptosporidium is a common one. One year, a student contracted orf from a headbutt. One student got salmonella when a horse blew explosive diarrhea into her eye. In 2010, over 30 people had to get post-exposure rabies shots (from one dog).

On another note...

Dear classmates,

We have been doing clin path now for over two months. When you see this:

and still say that there is a hypoproteinemia, I die a little bit inside.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Purple laying the smack down. Lioness takes no prisoners.

It's not like we haven't been doing path non-stop since September or anything.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
She didn't mention the best part - that this girl posted earlier today on her facebook about her A's in pharmacology and radiology!!!!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Lioness is a badass. She gave me a lot of advice while I was applying to school the first time around. She must be in the UC Davis program by now?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey, here's a potential future story then about your classmates!

The worst thing I've seen yet in clinics is the student who didn't understand the difference between superficial and deep pain and where to test it. Also apparently lacking ethics/intelligence.

The student was saying that the dog hadn't gotten its deep pain perception back after surgery. This was over 1-2 days.

When she finally transferred the case, the student who took it went in to check the dog and found numerous crush injuries to the webbing between the pelvic toes. The student had never been checking deep pain - they had been crushing the webbing, demonstrating a lack of superficial pain. The dog had deep pain perception (when done right over the bone).

Turns out she would just let the hemostats hang there while clipped to demonstrate things.

The person who took the case reported it to faculty, but I don't know what happened after.

Edit: Radiology is open note. Maybe just because I'm a Rad-maniac, but you'd better get A's. :colbert:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

YourCreation posted:

Lioness is a badass. She gave me a lot of advice while I was applying to school the first time around. She must be in the UC Davis program by now?

haha, that's me. congrats on getting in too, was very pleased to see it. :ssh:

HSS:
1) omg that poor dog
2) one of your classmates didn't know cats had anal sacs
3) it was large animal radiology which wasn't open notes. but i don't really get A's in open notes small animal radiology either, mostly because of the musculoskeletal portion every time - I'm pretty good with thoracic and abdominal.

edit: also that girl in the above facebook convo tried to backpedal by saying she meant that it was benign cancer. yep, benign cancer. :downs:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 22, 2012

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I've had vets put down "N/A" under "species" on a biopsy form. I've had students forget to tell me a dog was blind, then wonder why I didn't look at the eyes under the microscope. One of my favorites is watching people try to justify using the term "lymphoma".

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

HSS:
1) omg that poor dog
3) it was large animal radiology which wasn't open notes. but i don't really get A's in open notes small animal radiology either, mostly because of the musculoskeletal portion every time - I'm pretty good with thoracic and abdominal.

edit: also that girl in the above facebook convo tried to backpedal by saying she meant that it was benign cancer. yep, benign cancer. :downs:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Topoisomerase posted:

HSS:
1) omg that poor dog

Maybe she's confused by the use of benign to describe certain tumors? And just extrapolated that to mean cancer?

(IANAV but that seems plausible.)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

wtftastic posted:

Maybe she's confused by the use of benign to describe certain tumors? And just extrapolated that to mean cancer?

(IANAV but that seems plausible.)

Yes, I am sure that she meant benign neoplasia (which this particular condition still isn't, but at least it exists). But she used the word "cancer," which is fine if you are not a veterinary student who has been in pathology courses all year long where the first thing I'm pretty sure we learned was hyperplasia vs neoplasia, and then benign vs malignant w/r/t neoplasia. It would be fine and understandable if a layperson said it, but not so much for a vet student in a pathology course who has also been in 2 oncology courses in the past 7 months.

edit: and who I'm pretty sure just posted that so she could try to sound smart to her facebook friends...

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 23, 2012

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
2 weeks of oncology, 2 weeks of surgery, 5 weeks in the Florida Keys, and then I'm DONE. Now, if only someone would hire me....

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Chaco posted:

2 weeks of oncology, 2 weeks of surgery, 5 weeks in the Florida Keys, and then I'm DONE. Now, if only someone would hire me....

Good luck with the job applications! http://www.vinfoundation.org/ has some great resources for job seekers.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There was a lovely client who refused to take home pain meds after their animal had major surgery (about 1.5 days post-op) because they don't believe in pain meds. Took awhile to convince them to take home anything. They're probably not even giving what was sent home.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.

HelloSailorSign posted:

There was a lovely client who refused to take home pain meds after their animal had major surgery (about 1.5 days post-op) because they don't believe in pain meds. Took awhile to convince them to take home anything. They're probably not even giving what was sent home.

We have a lot of clients that won't pay for pain meds. :(

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Carebear posted:

We have a lot of clients that won't pay for pain meds. :(

I'm not sure I agree with clinics that make pain meds optional. I feel like it should be built in to the cost of the surgery.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

YourCreation posted:

Good luck with the job applications! http://www.vinfoundation.org/ has some great resources for job seekers.

Thanks, looks like there's a bunch of good stuff on there.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

HelloSailorSign posted:

We had a client who refused to use anything for pain beyond aromatherapy.

Solis posted:

I'm not sure I agree with clinics that make pain meds optional. I feel like it should be built in to the cost of the surgery.

You can include pain meds in the cost of surgery but you can't force a client who doesn't "believe" in them to administer anything after they're discharged.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Asstro Van posted:

We had a client who refused to use anything for pain beyond aromatherapy.

You can include pain meds in the cost of surgery but you can't force a client who doesn't "believe" in them to administer anything after they're discharged.

The only way I can really think to approach this is to try to get them to understand the situation from the animal's point of view in a non-anthropomorphic way. Explaining that people refusing pain meds is fine because they understand why they are in pain and can make an active decision to suffer it. Animal's do not understand why they are in pain and would be well served by pain medications. Pain medications also quicken healing and recovery time.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, here's another one. This one is funny, unlike the last one.

We have a Community Surgery where the students do the surgery with faculty supervision. It costs much less than getting the surgery done through our Soft Tissue or Orthopedic Services. I believe that the a requirement for getting a surgery through there is that the animal must be spayed or neutered.

(Friend of mine saw this one) Brachycephalic breed came in with a traumatic eye injury for enucleation. It was reproductively intact. Client was informed that if they got surgery through CS then the dog would have to be altered.

Their response? "Wolves aren't neutered." The dog didn't get the surgery.

That got me thinking about brachycephalic dog packs taking down a bison in the wild. Oh, those majestic beasts.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Asstro Van posted:

True enough but you can give the ones that are iffy about spending money no choice whether or not they spend the extra twenty bucks on meloxicam or whatever.

My point is that it shouldn't be considered an 'added' cost, it should be part of whatever you're doing. Whether or not the owner USES it is a whole nother kettle of fish but at least that's one less obstacle to getting them to consider it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

(Friend of mine saw this one) Brachycephalic breed came in with a traumatic eye injury for enucleation. It was reproductively intact. Client was informed that if they got surgery through CS then the dog would have to be altered.

Their response? "Wolves aren't neutered." The dog didn't get the surgery.

The best response to this is clearly "Well, wolves don't get enucleation surgery when they have a traumatic eye injury either."

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Today was my first time doing anaesthetic monitoring and of course we got a difficult one. It was a little yorkie mix being castrated, and he just didn't want to breathe towards the end of the surgery. We think it may have been because his CO2 sat dropped really low?

Also stabbed myself with a needle through the cap somehow. :cool: drat that bled for ages.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
If the CO2 level is very low they definitely tend not to breathe, as the drive to breathe is normally based on CO2 being high. Was he being manually ventilated for a time, making his CO2 drop?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Nope, but we started manually ventilating when he stopped breathing. I know they can breath hold after induction but do they do it in the middle of a surgery?

His temp also got quite low by the end (38.9C at TPR, 35.3C when I checked him after he woke up), would that have anything to do with it?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

I would not be at all worried at that temperature in a small dog like that - most small dogs will lose heat quickly during surgery if not mitigated.
In regards to the bradypnea/apnea, you have to take all of the factors into account. Pre-medicative drugs, induction drugs, gas inhalant, and what doses of all are given. If the patient is not breathing you can manually ventilate for a short while (never going above 20mmHg/H20 and making sure you do not forget to open the pop-off valve) and lower the amount of inhalant given if you are comfortable with the anesthetic depth. Be careful not to manually ventilate the patient too long as you can drive the CO2 levels down and reduce their drive to breathe as mentioned above. There is a happy medium. Just remember that changes in anesthetic depth do not happen too quickly so any changes you make should be small and with enough time in between to allow the patient to respond.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Thanks YourCreation. What you've written is exactly what our anaesthetist did, but he obviously didn't have time to explain as he was doing it. :) That makes a lot of sense.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I'm curious as to what health tests you guys would recommend to someone planning a litter from a whippet/bedlington lurcher? Specifically; the lurcher's dam was full whippet and her sire was a first cross bedlington/whippet. The bedlington grandparent was working rather than show bred, so probably had outcrosses to lakeland/patterdale/jrt in its recent heritage.

(I'm not "planning" a litter in that I don't yet know if Mouse will perform well enough in the field to be a breeding prospect, but I am getting a bunch of health testing out of the way now - partly out of curiosity and partly due to the fact sighthounds tend to have unpredictable heat cycles, so I want to be able to be opportunistic if/when the time comes).

The health tests currently suggested for Bedlingtons are;

DNA test for Copper Toxicosis
Eye testing with the BVA/KC/ISDS Eye Scheme (specifically to screen for Total Retinal Dysplasia)

The health tests currently suggested for Whippets are;

Heart testing - preferably a Doppler test
Eye testing with the BVA/KC/ISDS Eye Scheme
BAER Hearing test
Myostatin Deficiency Test

The health tests currently suggested for JRTs/lakeland/patterdales are;

DNA test for Primary Lens Luxation

I'll probably wind up doing most if not all of these tests - and hips and elbows too, even though hips/elbows aren't considered of concern in any of the breeds in question. I guess I'd just like to know exactly where I stand before I'm in a position to make any decisions on which other breeds (such as border collies, which do have issues with hip dysplasia) I'm interested in breeding to. For example; if Mouse had turned out to be a carrier for Copper Toxicosis, I would not have bred her to another lurcher of Bedlington heritage who had not been similarly tested.

I guess I'm really curious on whether PI vets/prospective vets would consider this overkill? What are the bare minimum tests you'd recommend doing with a dog of this breed mix? What about thyroid panels and testing for Brucellosis? I'm going to discuss all this with my own vet once Mouse turns 1 year, I'm just really interested to learn other opinions :).

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Today is the last clin path lecture. We are doing our last case. Dear classmate, what do you think of this CBC?

"Um... is this a degenerative left shift?"

Oh classmate, it's been 3 months and you still do not know what a degenerative left shift is even though it's been repeated dozens of times! How the professor has the patience to kindly explain, once again, a very basic concept that we should all know by now, I have no idea, because you are so stupid. Oh look, class is over, there you go, running off, because you always skip class if there is a presentation or something that is not a lecture (never mind how disrespectful it is to your fellow classmates for you to skip out on their presentation). I assume you're skipping to go study, but honestly, if you don't understand the concept of a degenerative left shift after 3 months of constant repetition, I really don't how much that will help you.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

notsoape posted:

I guess I'm really curious on whether PI vets/prospective vets would consider this overkill? What are the bare minimum tests you'd recommend doing with a dog of this breed mix? What about thyroid panels and testing for Brucellosis? I'm going to discuss all this with my own vet once Mouse turns 1 year, I'm just really interested to learn other opinions :).

To be honest, I would probably narrow down what tests I would want to do by what you're considering breeding to rather than vice versa - at least the DNA ones which can wait (because the DNA doesn't change). Additionally, eye testing and hip tests and other phenotypic ones you might do first, if you wanted to prioritize.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Braki posted:

Today is the last clin path lecture. We are doing our last case. Dear classmate, what do you think of this CBC?

"Um... is this a degenerative left shift?"

Oh classmate, it's been 3 months and you still do not know what a degenerative left shift is even though it's been repeated dozens of times! How the professor has the patience to kindly explain, once again, a very basic concept that we should all know by now, I have no idea, because you are so stupid. Oh look, class is over, there you go, running off, because you always skip class if there is a presentation or something that is not a lecture (never mind how disrespectful it is to your fellow classmates for you to skip out on their presentation). I assume you're skipping to go study, but honestly, if you don't understand the concept of a degenerative left shift after 3 months of constant repetition, I really don't how much that will help you.
One of the people at my table still doesn't get it either and I have to re-explain it every week. I don't get why it's such a hard concept. Are neuts > bands? Check yes or no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Enelrahc posted:

One of the people at my table still doesn't get it either and I have to re-explain it every week. I don't get why it's such a hard concept. Are neuts > bands? Check yes or no.

She seriously said, "but there's a left shift and the neutrophils are in the reference range. Isn't that a degenerative left shift?" How does she hear that part, and then not hear the most important part? I don't get it.

• Locked thread